Start by marking “Under My Hood I Have a Hat” as Want to Read:

put on your gloves
and mittens
and scarf
and hat
and... Only award-winning poet Karla Kuskin and illustrator Fumi Kosaka could make bundling up for the snow so much fun!
Published October 1st 2004 by Laura Geringer Book

To ask other readers questions about Under My Hood I Have a Hat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Under My Hood I Have a Hat

Samantha
Feb 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks
One of my favorite winter picture books.
Anna Korroch
I thought that this was a very simple and cute book. The short sentences and small words are great for beginning readers. I love how the story progresses and the little girl describes how she gets ready to go play in the snow.

In the classroom I think that this would be a good read aloud to discuss winter. It could be read to the class when it is starting to get really cold outside. It could be used to discuss the importance of wearing warm clothing and many layers on a snowy day to stay warm. C
Sam
Personal Reaction: I like the bright colors and simple words, but it appeals to a very limited audience I think because it is for young children.

This book could be a nice winter time story for the right age group. To read aloud, it would be appropriate for very young children. It could also be appropriate for older children learning to read. There are few words on each page and they are simple and intuitive. There isn't any new vocabulary, but "Under My Hood I Have a Hat" lists some winter acce
June
Dec 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: librarians, parents & teachers
Another good book for toddler time. A child gets out of her winter clothes has a snack then gets back in to them. The ending reminded me of several times in my childhood. 12/5/11

Used again for young PJ Storytime. 11/27/12

Used for my hat story time tonight since we are expecting snow. Went over quite well with 2-5 year olds. 3/5/13

Used again for my clothing PJ Story Time and my preschool story time. The ending caused a giggle at PJ. A little boy at story time was puzzled and I had to explain it.
Marianne
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is perfect for my baby storytimes. The parents always get a chuckle at the end of the story. Whenever I find a book simple enough to share with babies, yet also entertaining for the parents, it's a win!
Tdavis
Mar 03, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Baby - Preschool
Short and Simple stories about daily routines, like getting dressed for winter, begin to introduce young listeners to how stories work with sequencing. This book is building narrative skills, vocabulary, and phonological awareness through simple rhyming!

Early Literacy Skills:

Narrative Skills
Phonological Awareness
Print Motivation
Vocabulary
Dewey
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is like the better version of "The jacket I wear in the snow." The little girl describes all the clothes she wears to stay warm when she plays in the snow, then points out at the end that when she goes out to play she has to be careful not to fall because if she does, she won't be able to get back up. It's so cute and so cheerful...I love it.
Katie Fitzgerald
Read at Baby/Toddler Story Time on 12/13/11: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read during rec. center visit on 12/19/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Drop-In Story Time on 12/21/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at preschool story time on 1/18/17: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Destiny Dawn Long
A rhyming story about bundling up at winter time. It was alright--I didn't hate it or anything, I just wasn't very excited by reading it. Neither was my daughter. The illustrations are pretty cute, though. And the text reads nicely enough.
Dana
Jun 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poems
I think this book is really cute. It can teach kids about the different clothing they can wear and also I like the little girl, I think she is so cute! It is a short and simple poem that little kids can use to start learning about poetry.
Paula
Few words accompany the bright illustrations
A child describes the many layers of clothing needed to stay warm in the winter.
Holly
Mar 02, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Cute book for toddlers and especially preschoolers. Big simple pictures about getting out of all your layers of snow clothes.
Samantha
A humorous story in which a little girl reviews the different items of clothing she wears to play outside in the winter. Good read aloud for PreK-2.
Mary
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Children can review the routine of getting bundled up to play outside in the snow. A nice cumulative story, good for reading aloud to two- and three-year-olds.
Suse
Dec 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute and a story everyone can relate to.
Kristine Cook
A charming rhyme coupled with simple pictures show an activity familiar to many children. The bold, colorful pictures and changing placement of the text should hold interest.
Diana Thomsen
Jan 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime
Super short and very cute book. Didn't care for the pacing on some of the phrases, but overall, I did like it.
Melanie
A very humorous story of a young girl getting all of her winter gear on to out into the winter afternoon to play in the snow. She must be careful not to fall over because she won't be able to get up!
Anaeka
This is a book about a girl dressing up for cold weather. A requested it maybe once in the 6 weeks we had it. we read it a few times. It's not a bad book. It just didn't work.
Miss Sarah
Mar 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clothes, winter
not sure toddlers would get it but preschoolers might about all the items a little girl put on to go outside and then she can't fall because she can't move with all those layers on.

Lesley
A cute winter story.
Edna
Very short and cute book (perfect for very young children) showing what a little girl puts on and takes off when it's cold outside.
Brenna Call
Feb 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this silly book. It's rhyme had a nice even pace and the illustrations were both colorful and simplistically charming. This book was very accessible for several age groups.
Audrey
Mar 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poems
Winter Clothes - This poem is absolutely adorable. It provides great imagery and kids would love drawing a picture of all of the layers she has on.
Lauren Brown
Good book for introduction to rhyming. I enjoyed this book. It was fun and easy to read.
Kirstin Kemppainen
A book about what a little girl wears to go out and play in the snow. This is a very basic book, but does seem to be a bit poetic. This would be a good book for students to begin to read.
Kristen
This is pretty short for preschool story time, but the kids really liked it. One asked to take it home with her when we were done. It's a nice winter or hat story--simple and fun!
Shayla
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very cute little book about the clothes you wear when you are going out in the snow. The kids I read it to were very interested the entire time.
Babytime: Hats (and Heads)
David
Apr 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful story, with a good rhythm and fun pictures. I liked this one.
  • A Hat for Minerva Louise
  • Toot Toot Beep Beep
  • The Jacket I Wear in the Snow
  • Clip-Clop
  • All You Need for a Snowman
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Let's Play In The Forest While The Wolf Is Not Around
  • Butterfly Butterfly: A Book of Colors
  • Nose to Toes, You Are Yummy!
  • Farmyard Beat
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • Hello, Snow!
  • Overboard!
  • Here Comes Jack Frost
Karla Kuskin was an author and illustrator of children's literature, as well as a frequent reviewer of books.
More about Karla Kuskin...