Start by marking “Katherine Wentworth (Katherine, #1)” as Want to Read:
Katherine Wentworth (Katherine, #1)

Katherine Wentworth

(Katherine #1)

A pretty, courageous young widow, faced with the task of bringing up three children and making her way alone in the world, is the appealing heroine of this touching love story executed with D.E. Stevenson's characteristic freshness and charm.

The thirty-ninth novel from the beloved author of The Blue Sapphire, Bel Lamington, and Fletcher's Eng -- this new work centers around
Published 1964 by Holt, Rinehart & Winston

To ask other readers questions about Katherine Wentworth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Katherine Wentworth

Jane
Apr 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed
When you need a book to be a security blanket, as I did this week, you could do well to turn to the work of D E Stevenson.

This isn’t her best book; it isn’t a book that would stand up to very much scrutiny; but it is mid 20th century romantic fiction done rather well.

Katherine Wentworth was a young widow, living in Edinburgh in the most genteel kind of poverty, and bringing up a teenage stepson and two young twins. She missed her husband terribly, but she knew that he wou
Katherine
A gentle, old-fashioned novel with a strong sense of place (Scotland) and well-drawn characters who face their problems head-on with honesty, integrity and strength. This was the perfect comfort-read for me at a time I found it particularly difficult to settle on a book, so I appreciated it even more than I might have at another time. As usual, there's a quiet depth in D.E. Stevenson's books that speaks to me and make her books wonderful additions to my personal library. This one is a keeper as ...more
Hope
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: light-reading
Sometimes a book comes along at just the right time and is pure pleasure. That's how I felt when I started reading Katherine Wentworth. The calm dignity of the protagonist, the stark beauty of the Scottish countryside, the stalwart friendship of Alec, and the gentle kindnesses of the minor characters all joined together to make a refreshing tonic for my tired heart. Underneath it all is a current of quiet happiness that I found irresistible.

Katherine is a widow raising three children
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: a, historical-fiction
A lovely book, so relaxing to read, making one a bit nostalgic for old-fashioned values such as integrity and respect. The story is simple, cosy and soothing and the characters endearing (except for the nasty Wentworths, of course). On to the sequel... I love D. E. Stevenson books.
Tania
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A light, entertaining read.

Katherine Wentworth is a widow bringing up Simon, her stepson and her twins. She bumps into Zilla, an old school friend who is bored and wants to renew their friendship, so she is invited to the big house that Zilla lives in with her brother, for tea. She and Alex start spending time together, but something is a bit off with Zilla.
Katherine manages to steer her family through various situations, to happy conclusions.
Julie
Nov 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed it even more this time through, as I realized I had not reread it since our trip to Edinburgh in 2007. I loved this read through, since I could visualize places I had seen for myself, as she described walking round Edinburgh, or a trip out through the countryside, etc. Definitely made it come alive. I took some descriptive passages from the book, in a little notebook with me on our trip. Next trip want to take descriptive passages from Josephine Tey's 'Singing Sands' and go to the isla ...more
Kate
Oct 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
Since I love Scotland and since I really like reading about gentle people in less modern lives, this book was wonderful! Very much "comfort food" for the weary heart and mind.
Mo
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sigh... I just love books like this.
Beth Bonini
Highly recommended if you are a fan of gentle domestic fiction - particularly the mid-century British kind. This one is set in Scotland - Edinburgh and the Highlands - which definitely added to its appeal.

The title character and protagonist of the novel is a young widow with three children to raise: her 16 year old stepson Simon, and 7 year old twins Daisy and Denis. She is a gentle, kind, ‘sensible’ (the word is often used) person - but not a bit saccharine or boring.

Freedom is an im
Gerrie
4.5 out of 5 stars
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this one, even more I think because of a couple of recent trips to Scotland. A delightful comfort read that I purchased years ago from a used bookshop. I enjoyed it so much I immediately went to my local library looking for more by this author as I will definitely be seeking out additional titles for a pleasant diversion.
Dianna
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this book for the first time last year and listened to an audio version this month. One of my new favorite books (and authors)! I love Katherine and her family and the scenery and the narrator's Scottish accent.

I'm glad the audiobook is available on Audible because the book is sadly out of print.

2017: This book did not disappoint on a re-listen. Completely cozy and satisfying!
Katherine
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
As someone who has been to Scotland and Edinburgh, I enjoyed hearing about the the area from long ago. The sights and sounds of the lochs and hills...this book put me in a mind of the Anne of Green Gables books. There is a romance here, but it's as much about the people and the land as it is about the romance.

I enjoyed it...I want a cup of tea.
Amy
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Amy by: Edinburgh
DE Stevenson is such a good choice if you need a comforting read with lovely people. Her stories are delightful slices of life. There's not much conflict so if you only read for plot then these likely aren't the books for you. If you enjoy character and setting then I highly recommend DE Stevenson.
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another great D.E. Stevenson read :)
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 1/2 stars

I loved this charming story of Katherine Wentworth, a widow with young twins and a teenage son from her deceased husband's first marriage. She has been raising the children on her own for several years, since the death of Gerald Wentworth. They are a "complete" family. I think that means they are happy together, happy with life even though resources are meager.
One day she meets an old school friend and is introduced to the friend's brother. Alec and Katherine's relationsh
Linda K
Oct 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful story of a widow raising her 3 children in Scotland. Her stepson, Simon, is legal heir to the family estate of her late husband, who had severed his ties with the family due to his fathers' authoritative dictatorship. Katherine visits the estate with Simon and wisely allows him to see the stringent life he would face if he would accept his position. Along the way, Katherine meets Alec who is much more than a friend and becomes a valuable part of the childrens' lives as well. A months' ...more
Chris
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Like comfort food. Very enjoyable light reading by D. E. Stevenson (writer of the 'Miss Buncle' series). It's a story about a woman raising her step-son and twins. Katherine and her step-son face several choices and both consider the potential impact those choices may or may not make on their own personal freedom. It also gives them perspective on their own blessings. The story is romantic and set in Scotland. The characters well described and memorable. So fix yourself a nice pot of tea and sit ...more
Evelyn
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This old well worn and loved book was in my library. The pages were rounded even. I felt like I was in Scotland with some wonderful people. A friend told me about D E Stevenson and I will be reading many more of her books.
Bookworman
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderful, gentle love story from one of my favorite authors. I can (and have) read this story again and again.
Claude
Jul 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: uk, a, cozy
Another lovely book by D.E. Stevenson. Looking forward to reading the sequel.
Carolyn Hill
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this domestic fiction set in Scotland in the early sixties. I was the same generation as the children of this story, and the freedom that children were allowed then really struck me. In Edinburgh, the mother, Katherine Wentworth, could step out for a quick errand and leave her seven-year-old twins unattended. At a cottage in the Highlands on a loch they could play at the water unsupervised and bike ride for miles to town on their own. Katherine is a widow on her own raising her twins a ...more
Niki (nikilovestoread)
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
After reading Mrs. Tim of the Regiment, Katherine Wentworth was a much different experience. With Mrs. Tim, I found myself laughing often and absolutely loving the characters. Reading Katherine Wentworth, the characters seemed to grow on me as the story progressed. It wasn't until the family was vacationing at the cottage, that I truly fell in love with the story. Katherine Wentworth is a young widow who is entirely devoted to her children. It was fun to read about a character who has had to pic ...more
Antonia
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Reading DE Stevenson books is like a guilty pleasure for me - not because of scandal, but quite the opposite. Guilty because they are a simple pleasure, with innocent, predictable and old fashioned stories that have happy endings. I know the appeal isn’t wide, but I delight in these stories as a cure to the modern age. Katherine Wentworth fit the mold.
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A light, pleasant read which was just what I needed at the time. Set in Scotland which is always a plus, this mid-century novel proved enjoyable amidst all the glaringly dated social customs and expectations which, for me, made it all the more delightful. A solid 4-star read for a most pleasant diversion.
Chelle
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelle by: Scotland/ London
Lovely vintage era story.
Katherine and her sweet children are charming – so pleased Stevenson gifts her with a man that loves and admires her, and appreciates her worth. Zilla and the Grandfather both make perfect, totally unlikeable, antagonists.

Extra: narcissistic, and, manipulative personalities in this story.
Katrina
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a real comfort read for me, especially as the setting is Scotland and I'm familiar with all the places mentioned.
Sara
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This DES is all about the title character, from her point of view, even written in first person. We get to know each character through her eyes, and experience various ups and downs in her shoes. And somehow it all works beautifully. Pure enjoyment! Highly recommended.
Eva B.
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 star rating for comfort reading, brain-candy
Kim
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing

What a neat, wonderful, beautiful book. I love Katherine and her children. I love the plot, all the characters, even the bad ones. They seem so much like real people.

• Because Of The Lockwoods
  • The Heart of the Family (Eliots of Damerosehay, #3)
  • The Lark Shall Sing (Waynes of Wood Mount, #1)
  • Summer Half
  • No Holly for Miss Quinn (Fairacre, #12)
  • Star Spangled Summer (Penny Parrish, #1)
Dorothy Emily Stevenson was a best-selling Scottish author. She published more than 40 romantic novels over a period of more than 40 years. Her father was a cousin of Robert Louis Stevenson.

D.E. Stevenson had an enormously successful writing career: between 1923 and 1970, four million copies of her books were sold in Britain and three million in the States. Like E.F. Benson, Ann Bridge, O. Douglas

Katherine (2 books)
  • Katherine's Marriage (Katherine, #2)