Start by marking “The Preacher's Promise (Home to Milford College, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Preacher's Promise (Home to Milford College, #1)

The Preacher's Promise

(Home to Milford College #1)

1866 – Oberlin, Ohio

Devastated by her father’s death days after her triumphant graduation from Oberlin College, Amanda Stewart is all alone in the world. Her father’s unscrupulous business partner offers her an indecent proposal to earn a living. Instead, to fulfill a promise she made to her father, she resolves to start a school to educate and uplift their race. Sorting t
Published July 27th 2014 by Liliaceae Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Preacher's Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Preacher's Promise

Start your review of The Preacher's Promise (Home to Milford College, #1)
Mstcat
Jul 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-copy
The Preacher's Promise is a very sweet story that takes place following the Civil War. During this time African Americans in the South are finding themselves with new freedoms and opportunities that they have never had before; however, they are still living under the prejudice of the South. This is the case in the town of Milford. The town has sent a missive to the North requesting a teacher (their first) for the new school house that is being built. Unbeknownst to them, the man who they've reac ...more
Michelle Styles
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you are interested in American history at all, you will enjoy this book as it opens a window into an oft-overlook aspect of history -- the African American experience in Georgia during Reconstruction.
Although the relationship between Amanda, the college educated Northerner who grew up believing she was free and Virgil, the former slave who had to work for his freedom but then in doing so failed to save the woman he loved is an important element of this story, this story is more about Virgil'
Victoria Bylin
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Some historical romances use history as wallpaper, meaning the story itself is more a reflection of modern times than the historical framework. Other historical romances bring history to life in a way that addresses the past, speaks to the present, and challenges us to think about the future. The Preacher's Promise falls firmly into the second camp. In short, I loved every word.

About the history . . . this story leaps off the page. You can see it, hear it, and feel it in your marrow. The author
Jaclyn Loschiavo
I DO NOT read inspies generally, but I couldn’t turn down the chance to read a romance set in Reconstruction era Georgia. There’s TONS of Jesus in this, but it felt very authentic to the time and characters, which is not always the case in historical inspirationals. Plus, I really think the religiosity helped keep the book light in a time period that could have definitely turned depressing (given how Revonstruction turned out for Freedmen). This was a nice, short read for me to pick up in betwee ...more
Anna
Jul 01, 2018 added it
I don't usually read inspirational novels, but I met the author a couple years ago at an RT, and that beautiful cover stuck with me, so I bought the book. Also, I do try to read outside my subgene in romance.

This is a lovely, hopeful, gorgeously written story set in a time and with history I really know nothing about because the US school system is crap at teaching anything but white history, especially in the north.

I was very grateful that I read it.
Tynika
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A Good Read

This book captured my interest and I couldn't put the book down. The Love between Amanda & Virgil was rare and a sweet message of how love happens unexpectedly. I can't wait to read the next part of the series.
ReadWithE
Jul 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Enemies to lovers... but I would have liked more love?
Andrew
"The Preacher's Promise" is a very entertaining tale set in Reconstruction Era Georgia. With some interesting characters, this is another book which I found hard to put down once I started. I look forward to reading the other books in the series.
Sally Kilpatrick
Warning: once you start this book it will not let you go.

I had taken it with me somewhere and left it in a bag which I found while cleaning my room. Mind you, I'm supposed to be reading RITA books, but I opened this one up and got hooked. It's one of those books where you'll tell yourself you'll just read another few pages and then look up 50 pages later and realize you're late for an appointment.

Amanda Stewart (daughter of the protagonists from The Lawyer's Luck) is now an orphan with two optio
Tasha
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Preacher's Promise is set in Reconstruction Era Georgia and it paints a familiar picture of the gentile south, shaped by recently abolished slavery. Amanda Stewart, free woman and recent graduate of Oberlin college, has recently lost her father and simultaneously discovered that she has been left destitute. She could've done any number of things at this point, things that could have put her in danger, but she immediately took on a job as a teacher. I loved Amanda. Huguley did an amazing job of g ...more
Parker Cole
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The book definitely lived up to its promise from the excerpt. I absolutely loved it. The complexities of the characters, the conflict of the Reconstruction era, the clash against tradition and new ways, come together to build a story filled with multi-layered stories.

Amanda is the Northern free woman who needs to escape her father's law partner. When she comes to Milford, she's independent, free, educated, and blazing with her view of things.

Virgil is slave turned freeman and also the Mayor of M
Franknannie
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! I do not normally read anything in the romance category, but this book was so much MORE! There were great spiritual truths hidden within these pages like little golden treasures. I found myself looking for the nuggets! These characters were richly developed, warm and genuine. They were people with flaws, but a desire to serve a great and mighty God who values us in our brokenness. This book is very well written, creative, and holds a persons interests. There were very real thr ...more
reneeNaDaBomb
The Preacher's Promise (Home to Milford College Book 1)

The story of lawyer Lawrence Stewart's only child, a daughter named Amanda (Mandy) and Virgil Smithson, the town mayor, smithy, and preacher 🚹. It tells about their first meeting when she arrived in Milford, GA. Their courtship kept me chuckling. Now, Virgil is a hardworking southerner. Quite antiquainted in his thinking. Miss Amanda was an Oberlin college gratuate, outspoken young 🚺 dealing with the ole ways of the folks living in Milford
Shiloh Saddler
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
I like to read a sweet historical romance once in a while and don't even mind if it has a Christian bent. I was drawn to this book first by the beautiful cover and then by the intriguing premise. I couldn't get into this story though because it was too preachy. I tried really hard but had to put it down. When I read for pleasure I don't want to feel like I'm sitting in church. It distracted from the story.

However, if you are into STRONG Christian romances then you might like this one.
Jacci
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm not really a romance reader or a Christian romance reader specifically because Christian romance can be way too predictable. This book did not follow that "someone has to get saved by the end" plot line and I was grateful. I do love historical fiction. This book was very well written and kept my interest from start to finish. Thank you Piper for introducing me to reconstruction era Georgia.
Liz Mc2
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars rounded up. Well-drawn characters and setting. I liked the romantic and other relationships and the effective shifts between hero/heroine point of view. The writing style didn't entirely work for me.
Laura Trentham
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved how the author weaves in parts of history that aren't common knowledge with a beautiful love story.
Katherine Coble
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a terrific book. It's a great story with characters who are truly interesting.
Leigh Kramer
This book was so unexpected! For one thing, I thought it was historical romance and it turned out to be inspirational romance, which is probably the only romance genre I don’t like. BUT. It takes place in Reconstruction Era Georgia and this setting was FASCINATING. All the more so because the heroine is from Ohio and learning the ways of the South and because the plantation mistress is still heavily involved in the lives of her former slaves and sees herself as a Good Person. As if that’s not en ...more
Jane
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This novel is just the right mix of romance, inspiration, and history. Shortly after Amanda Stewart’s graduation from Oberlin College in Ohio, her father dies, leaving her an orphan. According to her father’s law partner, there is no inheritance. Amanda finds correspondence indicating that her father had planned to start a school in Reconstruction Georgia and to go there to teach formerly enslaved children. Amanda goes in his place. There she meets the Virgil Smithson, Milford’s mayor and blacks ...more
Adelaide
Jun 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Staci
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
With only their faith in Gods plan.

Although laws changed the hearts and minds of man took much more. For an educated woman left mourning and penniless the letter seemed a miracle. It was for many more than just her. Yet their trials were not passed. The importance of understanding the weight carried by brave souls like these... Knowledge of history empowers the youth of future generations.
Claire Hill
Jun 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, romantic
The Preacher’s Promise melds rich faith, heartfelt romance, and history together in a deeply compelling narrative. I loved this book—it completely swept me away. Mandy and Virgil’s journey and struggles grip you tight and don’t let go. It’s inherently hopeful and I’m so excited to read the next book in the series—highly recommend!!!
Pamela
Jun 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Although set during the harshness of the American Reconstruction era, this is a sweet romance. The tale of an unlikely relationship is woven through the tale of a community of formerly enslaved people forging new lives. This is the first book in a series and I'm anxious to see what happens next to these wonderful characters.
Audra
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great period piece. The love story was well done and believable.

It's not always part of the story or it's done in a crude manner. It made me think about what education or lack of, can mean to a person's life.
Nedra Haymon
Feb 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was so drawn in with this historical fiction novel. Excellent writing. I am so thankful there is more than one book to this series. I highly recommend if you enjoy reading fiction set in this time period.
Pypa
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
When historical facts blend seamlessly with captivating fiction, you get, The Preacher's Promise. Well done!
Janis Dias
Apr 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Historical fiction at it’s best!

The style of writing is exceptional. This love story was not predictable, it had the right amount of uncertainty and believability.
Eve
Nov 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
3.5 Really interesting story with solid characters and plot.
Sherida Stewart
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A sweet romance with strong characters and a vivid setting!

This is a sweet romance showing the strength of two people becoming greater than themselves as they discover their love for each other.

After having her inheritance stolen by her father's partner, Amanda Stewart arrives in Milford, Georgia, to take a teaching position at the new school under somewhat false pretenses. Preacher Virgil Smithson holds a secret he doesn't want his townspeople to know. Amanda has no place to go, and Virgil need

• Bring on the Blessings (Blessings, #1)
  • Tempest (Old West, #3)
  • Second Time Sweeter (Blessings, #9)
  • On the Corner of Hope and Main (Blessings, #10)
  • A Second Helping (Blessings, #2)
  • Now You See Them (Stephens & Mephisto Mystery, #5)
  • Stepping to a New Day (Blessings, #7)
  • Rebel (Women Who Dare, #1)
  • A Wish and a Prayer (Blessings, #4)
  • The Trustworthy One (Walnut Creek #4)
  • Belle
  • Until I Met You
  • Child's Play
  • Heart and Hand (Gold Sky #1)
  • Lily of the Valley (Hymns of the West #4)
  • Goddess of the Hunt (The Wanton Dairymaid Trilogy, #1)
  • Indigo
  • Breathless (Old West, #2)

Home to Milford College (3 books)
  • The Mayor's Mission (Home to Milford College #2)
  • The Representative's Revolt: A Home to Milford College novel