Start by marking “A Measure of Happiness” as Want to Read:
A Measure of Happiness

A Measure of Happiness

Katherine Lamontagne isn't Celeste Barnes's mother, but ever since Celeste graduated high school and her parents abandoned Hidden Harbor, Maine, she's acted the part. At twenty-two, Celeste worked at Katherine’s bakery, and hoped to buy the business once Katherine took early retirement. But when Katherine reconsidered that decision, Celeste fled to culinary school in New ...more
Published August 25th 2015 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about A Measure of Happiness, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Lorrie Thomson
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of A Measure of Happiness
Susan Peterson
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
In A Measure of Happiness, author Lorrie Thomson has put together 4 wonderfully complex characters with a story filled with secrets and pasts that have left them broken, confused, and a little lost. The relationships between the characters are not easily defined; they are complicated, realistic, and tinged with sadness and pain. This is a book that looks deep into these characters and how they relate to each other, a book about motherhood, second chances and hope.
Kristine
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Original review can be found at http://kristineandterri.blogspot.ca/2...

** I received an advanced readers copy directly from the author in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!**

Ultimately A Measure of Happiness is a book about guilt, secrets, family and love. Within the pages many issues are touch upon including adoption, eating disorders, abuse and date rape. You would think that with so many serious topics the book would feel heavy and busy but it didn't. I found that the story flowed
Julie Barrett
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A MEASURE OF HAPPINESS by Lorrie Thomson
Cover first got to me as I connect blueberries with Maine and that's where this book is situated. Like the area enough to visit every other year, if not sooner to take in all it's calm via footpaths and fierceness of the cliff edges.
Story line sounds really good also. I think I've found yet another new author for me to pursue her writings.
Starts out with Katherine and she's walked into her bakery to find it all trashed, she checks various things and finds
Ann
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a story of relationships. Celeste is taken in by Kathleen when she is abandoned in small town Maine. Zach shows up looking for his birth mother and the three of them bond as they work in Kathleen's bakery. This story gives a realistic look at adoption, date rape and the changing views on both single mothers and college parties. It is a tale of searching for something missing in your life and facing fears. A great read and I'll be looking for Ms. Thomson's previous books.
Susan (The Book Bag)
Once again, I was drawn to this book first by the cover. Isn't it beautiful? And then the synopsis grabbed my attention. I love stories like this, women who come to lean on each other to get through their tough times.

And these two women have had it rough. Katherine's father was abusive and her mother wasn't strong enough to stand up to him. And then she finds herself pregnant. Celeste's parents take off right after her graduation and she is pretty much left on her own. Katherine and Celeste
Marlene
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Since Celeste’s parents left Hidden Harbor, Katherine has been like a mother to her. The owner of Lamontagne’s Bakery, Katherine thought she might take an early retirement and sell the bakery to Celeste. But when she has a change of heart, Celeste takes off to New York to start a new chapter in her life. When that doesn’t work out for her, she makes her way back to Hidden Harbor, tail between her legs, and back at the bakery again.

When Zach walks through the bakery doors, Katherine looks like
Sharon Chance
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was completely charmed by Lorrie Thomson's latest novel, "A Measure of Happiness." This family drama highlights that a family isn't always made up of those related to you - it can be those around us who we love and cherish equally as much as those who share our DNA.

This fast paced and genuinely warm and loving story features a cast of quirky and interesting characters, a delicious setting of a beloved bakery, and three separate but related tales that intertwine with each other and leads to a
Fluff Smut & Murder
May 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC digital copy of this book through NetGallery.com in exchange for my fair and honest review.

What a beautifully written tale about new love, old love, found love, and learning to love yourself! Based in a bakery in Maine, the story about Katherine, her ex husband Barry, and employees Celeste and Zach has its high, lows, drama and romance but comes together and makes a charming read.

What I loved: Celeste – sometimes I wanted to shake her for being so stupid in her actions, but her
Rosie Genova
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Though I loved Thomson's first two books, this one captured me from its compelling first line. Thomson presents layered characters in Katherine, Celeste, and Zach, and a story that is as smart as it is heartwarming. (In the best way possible!) A Measure of Happiness has much to say about life choices, the lot of women, and the meaning of family--those we're born into and those we create. Best of all, we get to briefly revisit Abby and Luke from Thomson's previous book, What's Left Behind. (May I ...more
Linda
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My happiness increased immeasurably after I finished reading Lorrie Thomson’s latest novel. Her uplifting story of hope and healing, of love lost and found again, gripped me by the heart and made me look at life in a fresh and wonderful new way. With its well-sketched characters and superbly satisfying conclusion, A Measure of Happiness will stay with me for a very long time. Kudos to Ms. Thomson for penning another winning novel.
Zan Marie Steadham

The sweet and sour of life comes full circle in the family we have and the family we choose. A Measure of Happiness is a brilliant example of the home true love of family can be. The story of Katherine and Barry, and Celeste and Zach who the beauty of the trip.
Janka H.
Jul 18, 2018 rated it liked it
What is a family? Do we bond just based on blood ties?
What do we think is true and what is really true?

3.5 stars.

Katherine Lamontagne is a giver. She cares about her bakery and about offering the best quality products to her customers. She cares about Celeste, her young assistant, like she was her own blood - even if both of them are not willing to acknowledge it. She cares about her ex-husband Barry enough to divorce him - for him to have a chance for a better future. But Katherine lives based
Judy
Aug 28, 2018 rated it liked it
The cover of this book totally grabbed me (and it is gorgeous) and I got it at a used book sale. It's a pretty good book--I thought the characters were interesting and I wanted them to succeed. It's all about secrets and how they can affect you physically and emotionally. At times the book just plodded along and I wanted a bit more action. I'd put this more into the chick lit category than anything else, and I would recommend it for a quick, easy read.
Maura Muller
I would give a 1.5 if I could. I didn't dislike it, but I kept thinking of all the other wonderful books waiting for me while I wasted time on this simple-minded, formulaic one for my book club. Sigh. Life is too short to read crap.
Kim
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Set in a beautiful Maine setting, tells the story of a friendship between Katherine and Celeste, who both have secrets and heartache. After meeting a man who comes to stay in town the women work towards healing their past. A good summer beach read.
Stacey Lechner
Jul 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Thank you to Net Galley and Kensington Books for a copy of this book. While I did like this book, I felt that something was missing that didn't make me love it. I think the characters weren't strongly developed and we were dropped into the middle of a story without a really full understanding of the background and relationship of the characters.
The story of Katherine, a bakery owner and Celeste, her protege and surrogate daughter, this book explores the relationships we choose to have with our
Nayuleska
A superb story evolves around a group of women coping with what life throws at them. That life happens to include cake and sweet treats, which I feel are much needed for the harder experiences both Katherine and Celeste endure. Yes the baking made me want to try lots of new sweet treats, but at the heart of the story is Katherine and Celeste's relation with each other.

At times it is strained. At other times, especially when more is revealed about both their lives I wanted to yell at them to
Marti
A Measure of Happiness is a story of love and redemption. The story revolves around three main characters, each with their own secret and heartache. Katherine owns her own bakery. She has employed Celeste since she was quite young. Neither of the two can manage to speak with their heart to each other, but together they seem to bump along. Zach shows up one day needing a job. He also has secrets and just adds to the mixture. The bakery could be a metaphor for how they slowly work their way ...more
Sandy
Feb 10, 2017 rated it liked it
So-so..
I wanted to like this book, really I did. I was looking for a book I could sink my teeth into and thought this could be it. It's an easy read, but at times the redundant character thoughts made it a challenge to plow through some of the slower pages. Additionally, some of the plot lines are fairly transparent - and I didn't want to be able to easily guess where the story line was heading.
Cathy Geha
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Family, friendship and relationships are at the core of this story.

Who is family? What is true friendship? Why do things happen? How should one deal with issues? All are questions I asked myself as I read about Katherine, Barry, Zach, Celeste, Abby and Blake.

This is a complex story that deals with choices, loss, love and coping mechanisms. It made me think about what I am willing to do or not do for family and friends.

A recipe comes with specific ingredients and exactly how much of each is
Susan Arena
Oct 14, 2016 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this story about a woman baker and her bonus daughter set in Maine. The young woman goes off to culinary school and finds herself in a very compromising situation with another student. Her response is to run back to the bakery where her secret causes her to be one very angry person. The baker has a secret of her own past and is tryong to come to terms with giving her son away in adoption many years before. the story feels like a story in a small town and the characters are wonderfully ...more
Susan
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
A story of secrets, familial love, and baked goods, this story was like a jigsaw puzzle of relationships coming together. A man looking for his biological mom, a girl looking for her self-respect, a woman locked inside her own secrets, and the hapless people that surround them make for a cute little town in Maine. An enjoyable read with entertaining and loveable characters, the only downside was the too-tidy ending. But still a fun read along the way!

I received a preview copy of this book from
PacaLipstick Gramma
Nov 02, 2015 rated it did not like it
I won this book through a Good reads Giveaway.

Oh dear. Where to even begin? If I could give this a negative rating, I would.

The entire is based on what she thought, what someone else thought, assumptions, innuendos, presumptions, imagination, guessing, and whatever else the imagination could conjure up. God forbid, should anyone ask a question, or oh my....say something out loud. Let's just keep playing the guessing game in our head.

I didn't care about the characters or what happened. The story
Ellen
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An absorbing story of four people and their complicated relationships. Katherine is a baker, still in love with her ex husband Barry. Celeste is Katherine's protege, fighting an eating disorder and her past. Into their small town comes Zach; where he fits into the story is where things get really interesting. Recommended.
Annie Grummon
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely could not put this book down! The characters were so real and their emotions so raw...Lorrie Thomson really "gets" people and their relationships with one another. Loved every page and didn't want it to end!! Can't wait for Thomson's next book!!!
Jessica
Jul 21, 2015 rated it did not like it
The Pov and Main character voice is messed up right away, then it moves on to a disturbing scene. If the author can't get the basics of storytelling down, I don't trust her to bring me through distressing content matter.
Patrice M.
Feb 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
WOw.. this book needed some action! S-l-o-w-e-s-t plot ever. The characters think and rethink and worry and fret in their heads way too much! I finished it but only by skipping over the constant repetition of these thoughts and worries. Nice cover.. rest of it was ho-hum.
Bonnie
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
The story too slow in developing for me. Struggled to stay awake reading.
Kathleen Gray
Aug 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
A well written tale of four people searching for and finding one another. Although the themes are not new, this story had some unusual twists and appealing characters. Well worth the read!
Krista
Aug 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Couldn't connect with any of the characters, they just seemed one-dimensional to me. Not a bad book, just not the one I was in the mood for.

• Night of Miracles (Mason, #2)
  • Tangled Lives
  • A Good House
  • The Lost Recipe for Happiness
  • Black Water Rising (Jay Porter #1)
  • Heaven, My Home (Highway 59 #2)
  • A Taste for Vengeance (Bruno, Chief of Police, #11)
  • Picture Perfect
  • Pleasantville (Jay Porter, #2)
  • The White Darkness
  • Journey into the Past
  • The Inner Life of Animals: Love, Grief, and Compassion: Surprising Observations of a Hidden World
  • The Cold Way Home (Bell Elkins, #8)
  • Fatal Pursuit (Bruno, Chief of Police, #9)
  • Yesternight
  • Green Dolphin Street
  • Beautiful Day
  • Before We Were Strangers
Lorrie Thomson lives in New Hampshire with her husband and their children. When she’s not reading, writing, or hunting for collectibles, her family lets her tag along for camping adventures, daylong paddles, and hikes up 4,000 footers.

Visit Lorrie at her website, http://www.lorrie-thomson.com. Connect with her on Twitter https://twitter.com/LorrieThomson, and Facebook,
“No matter your age, everyone needs someone to treat them as though they were small and precious and deserving of protection".” 1 likes