Start by marking “The Tempting of Thomas Carrick (Cynster, #22; Cynsters Next Generation, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Tempting of Thomas Carrick  (Cynster, #22; Cynsters Next Generation, #2)

The Tempting of Thomas Carrick

(Cynster #22)

#1 New York Times bestselling author Stephanie Laurens returns to Scotland, where destiny and passion intertwine...

Thomas Carrick is determined to make his own life in the bustling port city of Glasgow, far from the demands of the Carrick clan, eventually with an appropriate wife on his arm. But disturbing events on his family's estate force Thomas to return to the Scotti
Published February 24th 2015 by Mira

(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
Originally posted at Smexybooks

Stephanie Laurens’ newest installment, The Tempting of Thomas Carrick, is the next generation of Cynsters and the twenty-second book in the series. For those familiar with the series, Lucilla Cynster is the daughter to Catriona and Richard (Scandal’s Bride, #3). We are now focusing on the happily ever afters of the children.

Lucilla Cynster, like her mother, and her mother before her, are all healers bound to the Lady of the V
Anne Weinberg
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable historical fiction in the next generation of Cynsters. There's mystery & romance for Lucilla Cynster (Richard & Catriona's eldest daughter) & Thomas Carrick. The story begins ten years after "By Winter's Light" where we first met Thomas. It has a strong plot and just a pleasure to read. One of her better ones. There's also foreshadowing to her next book about Lucilla's twin, Marcus. Enjoy!
28/3 - From the first Cynster book (currently, as of 28/3/15, #23 hasn't been published) to the last. So far, The Tempting of Thomas Carrick has been a bit yawn-worthy - all exposition about Thomas Carrick's company and personal background which hasn't been all that riveting. Hopefully when we meet Lucilla she's a bit more interesting. To be continued...

8/5 - Well, after a long, medically-induced hiatus I finally feel well enough and motivated enough to get back to reading and reviewing. Regrett
Sandy
Although this is book #22 in the Cynster series (also called #2 in the Cynster Next Generation sub-series), it is only the second book by this author that I have read. I read the Next Generation #1 in December. It was an old-fashioned Christmas story, complete with roaring fires, carriage rides in the snow, hot mulled drinks, and fresh holly adorning the great hall — pleasant enough apparently to make me forge onward in the series. I quite enjoyed the “mystery” at the heart of this story, and do ...more
Susan (susayq ~)
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ahhhh, Lucilla Cynster has to be one of my favorite Cynster heroines. Those Cynster women, they know who they want and they go after them. Lucilla was no different; she knew who she wanted, Thomas Carrick. However, she waited for the right time and let him come to her. And what's more, she let him go. She had such faith in the Lady, and knew where she was supposed to be. I envy her complete trust in a higher power.

I'm a little disappointed that the situation with Manachan Carrick wasn't totally
Stephanie Tracy
Dec 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
Hmmm.... for a while while reading, I thought I'd probably end up giving this 2 stars. I certainly wasn't enthralled with it (or even that interested) throughout the entire read, but it really tanked in the end. I'm sorry to say, this really wasn't my cup of tea. I also can't recall if I've read Stephanie Laurens before, but if this is her general fare, I probably won't read any more of hers.

This story follows Thomas Carrick, a businessman living in 19th-century Glasgow. He receives a mysteriou
Susan
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book with trademark SL characters. Thomas was introduced at the end of By Winter's Light, as the neighbor who assisted during the big storm. It was obvious even then that his fate would be linked with Lucilla's. Fast forward ten years and that fate is about to come calling.

Thomas is part owner of a successful business in Glasgow. It keeps him busy enough that he rarely visits his uncle and the rest of the Carrick clan. When he receives two separate letters hinting at trouble, he goes h
Harlequin Books
"Laurens consistently delivers well-crafted, carefully paced novels; here, she adds gothic suspense, an unpredictable climax, a sweet love story, likable characters and a colorful backdrop. Readers will find this new generation of Cynsters as delightful as the first" (RT Book Reviews, 4 stars).

Cynster, book 22

Lucilla holds back nothing when Thomas Carrick finally returns to the Vale. She knows this may be here one chance to convince him that they are fated to be together. He, of course, has a di
Danielle
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
After the teaser that Laurens gave us in in the holiday novella she released in December 2014, I was definitely ready for Lucilla and Thomas's story. I was not disappointed! I love how it started out with a mystery. I was immediately drawn in by the plot that she set up. I really loved this book, and it has set up nicely for Niniver and Marcus's story, which is due out later this year. I can't wait to see what is in store for those character's, and to also see the mystery solved. I feel like, ev ...more
Catherine
Dec 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Wow, okay so I figured that this was part of a series that I had accidentally started in the middle (AGAIN! DAMN YOU, GROCERY STORE USED BOOK BIN) but I did not realize that it was #22 in a series. Because of that I feel like I have to give it some leeway. I'm sure there's a ton of character-building that I'm not privy too and that might have improved my experience.

All I'll say is that I felt like it was a bit too long (450 pages) and the fact that the main conflict was never really resolved ir
Kelly
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
This review appears in more engaging form on Reading with Analysis.

Let me start out by saying — if you’re going to read this book — you should consider reading the novella that sets it up, By Winter’s Light. I didn’t, and I was very confused by these characters’ strange antics and the lack of a solid meet-cute. I mean, for reals, you spend the first 50 pages following Thomas around his day-to-day life. The book kind of assumes that you know that these two characters are destined to be together.
Chitra *CJ*
Oct 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: safety-first, v-card
“The Tempting of Thomas Carrick” is the story of Thomas and Lucille.
Lucille Cynster is the daughter of Richard and Catriona, twin to Marcus and the new emerging lady of Vale. For a few years she has known that Thomas is her consort, her one true love but he continues to run away from fate..
When murders in the land he owns brings him back to Vale, attractions and mystery bloom..
We have a strong and whimsical heroine, a stubborn hero, gore, deaths and many questions still left to be answered.
The c
Shauni
Originally Reviewed For: Bodice Rippers, Femme Fatales and Fantasy

For those of you who Love the Cynters, I am happy to announce that Stephanie Laurens hasn't left us. With the last of the Original Generation finding true love in The Taming of Ryder Cavenaugh, Ms. Laurens could have left us, even happy.. but she has decided to give us more.. Yep, she has begun the Cynsters, Next Generation.

I will say this, Stephanie Laurens is the premier regency romance writer. As far as I am concerned she capt
Carole
Dianna Richards
Feb 27, 2015 rated it liked it
If you like Stephanie Laurens work, or steamy sex scenes, then you will probably quite like this book. It's about average for her though. Thomas Carrick and Lucilla Cynster are fated for each other, but Carrick has lived most of his life in Glasgow, and knows that Lucilla is tied to Casphairn Manor. So he's been avoiding her, hoping his fixation will eventually die off and he'll be able to marry some nice city girl. However, when Carrick receives disturbing news concerning problems with Carrick ...more
Jean Smith
Elis Madison
If you're into the Cynster series, you'll want to read this. If you're into paranormals, this one might grab you since it deals with a regional deity of some sort that somehow determines the lives of those she touches (if I sound less than enthusiastic it's because paranormals aren't for me). If you like mysteries, there is a nice one afoot here(view spoiler).

The romance between Thomas Carrick and Lucilla Cynster is comp
Melissa
Nov 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: romantic-reads
Having skipped #21 (where apparently, ten years prior, the next generation of Cynsters got trapped in a crofter's hut in a snowstorm and Lucilla delivered someone's baby), I snagged #22 from the library.

I think I like it? I didn't like how Laurens dropped us all into the Carrick mess - which had about three smoking guns and a really, REALLY unnecessary perspective change from Thomas/Lucilla to the super-obvious villains - and the mystery was far too neatly wrapped up to even pretend that it won'
Meredith
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
Mary
Jan 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ms. Laurens carries on the in prime Cynster fashion with this new generation. Thomas and Lucilla are both mature, strong willed characters. I enjoy reading how mature characters work out a relationship. These two have a combustible chemistry that Thomas tries to fight, but Lucilla knows the path that they both must take. The sparks do fly as Lucilla is doing her convincing..in the bedroom. The background story that brings these two together, is interesting and continues in to the next book featu ...more
Susan Jackson
Feb 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: nookbooks
Happy to be back in the world of the Cynsters. I was really looking forward to this book because Lucilla's parents - Richard and Catriona - are one of my favorite stories. So it was nice to revisit. I enjoyed the book overall. I honestly wish there had been more Lucilla/Marcus conversations in the book as I have been intrigued by their relationship. Lucilla and Thomas were lovely. The murder mystery - I do want to know what happened because I don't think it's as cut and dried as it appears. And ...more
Manuela
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If Mrs. Laurens had done a better job at solving the murder mystery this could have been a 5 star read. In romance she is one of the Queens of the genre, but the combination worked only for the beginning, then she let it go and puts the MCs relationship in the forground of the story. I can see why other readers may have been disappointed. A few more pages and some explanation to the why and how would have gone such a long way. Anyway, I enjoyed reading it and look forward to more from the Cynste ...more
Kate
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was ok
I really didn't like Thomas; I didn't believe that he loved Lucilla, even though he returned to her. It seemed like he really loved the Vale and all it had to offer. Nothing was concluded about the mystery that dominated the first 50% of the book either. I'll read the next one, but it is frustrating because that one also looks like a situation where the man has no other choice but to go after the heroine and her inheritance.
Cassie
Mar 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
I've come to the conclusion that the longer a universe/family remains in play, the less appealing they are. Much like the latest in the Smythe-Smith saga, this Cynster spin-off left me feeling rather eh. There was nothing WRONG with it, but... Eh. I shall now go back to reading all the original Bar Cynsters as they were much more captivating.
Karen Darling
Nov 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: could-not-finish
This dumb ass hero is having sex with the heroin and pumping his seed inside of her throughout the whole book but doesn't plan on marrying her. His plan is to find someone else to marry once he gets tired of her. Basically she's his whore, not very romantic.
Kit★
3.5 Stars! Review coming
Andrea
May 27, 2015 marked it as did-not-finish
Could not get into this one. There just wasn't enough to hook me, and I'm not sure what was going on with the "Lady of the Vale". I think I'll go back to the beginning of the Cynster series.
Harlequin Historical
Miniseries: The Cynster Family
  • Desire's Prize
  • Treasured (Secrets Of The Loch, #1)
  • Secrets of an Accidental Duchess (Donovan Sisters, #2)
  • My Scandalous Bride
  • Seduced by Grace (The Three Graces, #3)
  • What Happens Under the Mistletoe
  • How to Pursue a Princess (The Duchess Diaries, #2)
  • The Countess Confessions (Boscastle, #14)
  • One Wicked Sin (The Scandalous Women of the Ton, #2)
  • How to School Your Scoundrel (A Princess In Hiding, #3)
  • Duke with Benefits (Studies in Scandal, #2)
  • With This Ring (Worthington, #3)
  • The Shocking Secret of a Guest at the Wedding (Millworth Manor, #4)
  • The Ruin of a Rogue (The Wild Quartet, #2)
  • Rainbird's Revenge (A House for the Season, #6)
  • How to Plan a Wedding for a Royal Spy (The Renegade Royals, #3)
  • Mad About the Major
Stephanie Laurens was born in Sri Lanka, which was at the time the British colony of Ceylon. When she was 5, her family moved to Melbourne, Australia, where she was raised. After continuing through school and earning a Ph.D. in Biochemistry in Australia, Stephanie and her husband moved to Great Britain, taking one of the last true overland journeys from Katmandu to London.

Once in London, Stephanie

Cynster (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Devil's Bride (Cynster, #1)
  • A Rake's Vow (Cynster, #2)
  • Scandal's Bride (Cynster, #3)
  • A Rogue's Proposal (Cynster,  #4)
  • A Secret Love (Cynster, #5)
  • All About Love (Cynster, #6)
  • All About Passion (Cynster, #7)
  • On a Wild Night (Cynster, #8)
  • On a Wicked Dawn (Cynster, #9)
  • On A Wild Night / On A Wicked Dawn