Start by marking “Convincing the Rancher” as Want to Read:
Convincing the Rancher

Convincing the Rancher

About that night...
Benson, CA, represents all that Tess Cole doesn't want. So she intends to keep her business trip there brief. Too bad her plan to quickly change the mayor's mind about some planning issues dissolves the moment she recognizes him!

That one night with Slaid Jacobs remains a personal favorite for Tess; and for him, too, it seems. Even though he's gorg
Published January 6th 2015 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Convincing the Rancher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Convincing the Rancher

Start your review of Convincing the Rancher
Mandi Schreiner
I'm DNFing at 35%. I kind of bored - I found the wind energy stuff interesting at first but now I just want more romance. I'd try this author again - just need a different book.
Romancing the Book
Oct 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Reviewed by Jen
Book won in a Goodreads contest

I enjoy the occasional Harlequin read.  With their category romances, you're pretty much guaranteed a solid romance.  But they're generally not too deep and are relatively easy, fast reads.  In Convincing t In  Convincing the Rancher, that's just what you get... a decent read.

The book revolves around Tess and Slaid.  The two had a one night stand a couple years earlier and so when they run into each other it's rather awkward.  Tess is in town to convince the town of the benefits of having a wind farm in the area.  She goes to the mayor's office only to find Slaid.  Ends up that in addition to being the mayor, he's also the rancher using the land that has been earmarked for the wind farm.  They're constantly butting heads over the wind farm, but there are sparks flying as they are attracted to each other.

In my day job, I work in energy management, so the whole wind farm (and as the story develops, solar energy) thing was rather interesting to me.  In was definitely a plot line I hadn't read in a romance before, so I appreciated that bit of uniqueness and the level of research that went into developing that plot.

The romance itself was ok.  I didn't feel myself connecting to the characters or even rooting for them to get together.  In fact, thinking back on the book, they weren't even all that memorable.

In the end, this was a decent read and what I've come to expect from a lot of Harlequin's books.  It was a pretty fast read and I was drawn into the story.  It just suffered from some underwhelming characters.
Jennae Vale
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
There's one thing I know for sure and that's if I'm going to read a book by Claire McEwen, I'd better clear my calendar, because once I turn the first page and begin reading, I won't stop until I've turned the last page. Convincing the Rancher is an amazing story about two people who, despite their differences, belong together. Tess and Slaid are brought to life, flaws and all, in this book. The author's descriptive abilities had me longing to take a trip to the Sierra Nevadas and the small town ...more
Lisa Katz
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Harlequin Super Romance author, Claire McEwen, has done it again. In her third book, the last of the Contemporary Western Romance Trilogy, she has created yet another romance novel that was hard to put down. I began this reading adventure with Claire when I read her first book, A Ranch to Keep back in February of 2014. This was my first time reading a Harlequin romance and I was so pleasantly surprised. I fell in love with the characters and couldn’t put the book down. Eagerly I waited for book ...more
Shirene
Dec 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-finish
Wow this is a flash from the past. Harlequin books were a large portion of what I started reading too many moons ago. The "formulaic" nature of the books published has made huge steps forward since I last picked up one of their books. Plus the books placed in the Super Romance section have real depth of character and story lines which I'm thrilled to see.

This story revolves around a woman coming to a small town to sell them on natural energy and in particular windmills. Unfortunately
Alexandra
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-have-read
Convincing the Rancher, by Claire McEwen, author of the Harlequin Super-Romance Benson series (A Ranch to Keep, More Than a Rancher ) is the third in the series and the best one of them all! It is full of personality, conflicts, action, and believable characters, all set in one of the most beautiful areas of Eastern California.

I eagerly awaited this novel; because I had already enjoyed the first two and because the heroine (Tess) had appeared briefly in the previous two books of the series and
Kate Vale
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemp-romance
Tess Cole hates being out of San Francisco, but her job forces her to visit tiny Benson, CA in the Eastern Sierras--too much a cowtown, too much cold with blustery winds, but that's why she's there: to convince the mayor and town council to allow a wind farm to be built nearby. Too bad the very spot happens to be on BLM land that the mayor owns and has been using for generations for his cattle.

Slaid Jacobs is that mayor. More importantly, he was also the man Tess had a one-night-stan
Lianna Kissinger
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
For a romance novel novice, and someone who never bought into the "romance" genre, Claire McEwen's series--colorfully set in both San Francisco and the high sierra ranch land of Benson, CA--is a delight. All three of her heroines--this one, Tess, included--are interesting, accomplished, and driven women, with rich psychological make-ups that make you wonder if Claire McEwen didn't just write about her very own best friends. It has been a joy diving in.

I never bought into the idea of romance as
Sue
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved visiting the small ranch town of Benson, CA in Convincing the Rancher. Having not read the other books in this series I can definitely say it is a stand alone.

The main characters are both very strong and determined. Tess is a big city girl in Benson on a mission, and she can't wait to leave. She has friends in Benson, and to visit is fine, but this extended stay is not one she wants. She has a past she just can't move on from, and she keeps it a closely guarded secret. She do
Claire McEwen
Nov 17, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-book
Library Journal Says:
"Lively, funny, and beautifully paced, this enjoyable romance pairs a relationship-wary heroine with a responsible single dad in a captivating story that beautifully conveys the Eastern Sierra high desert setting and has character links to the author's earlier Superromances."

RT Book Reviews Says:
"CONVINCING THE RANCHER (4) by Claire McEwen: When PR expert Tess Cole travels to Benson, Calif., to convince the mayor that windmills would be good for the town,
Kari Lemor
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I just finished the third book in the Rancher trilogy by new author Claire McEwen and wasn't disappointed. Like the first two books, you quickly come to love and know the characters. This last book rounds out the tale of the three friends with the one least likely to fall in love. But the authors tells us a believable love story that makes us want this couple to get their Happily Ever After. Conflict and sexual tension abound while still showing us the slow steps our hero and heroine take toward ...more
Cecile
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Reading McEwen's writing is always a joy. This is smart writing in an easy-to-digest format. I loved the multiple conflicts of interest in professional and personal lives between Slaid and Tess. These plot nuances make for such good reading. They conflicts provide a foil for exploring the inner desires and strengths and flaws of both characters. It also, of course, leaves the reader wondering how these things will ever reconcile! And, I loved how the complexities were not entirely easily or read ...more
Deborah D.
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Slaid I liked a lot - Tess seemed a bit more of a drag than I expected.
I was almost wishing I could kick her in the butt...we all have baggage and hers was pretty rough.
But I wanted to cheer when she had her encounter with Slaid son Devin. Her armor and self interest crumbled a bit after that.

But it was quite a slog until then! Devin is a wise young man. I dare not say much more - all the other comments I can think of give away too many details....so move on through to the last third of
Sherry Bohrmueller
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received the book from the author for an honest review.

I love Claire McEwen's style of writing. It was a beautiful love story with a realistic plot and characters. It was so easy to get pulled into the story of Slaid and Tess. I loved the history of how they met, the struggles they went through and the romantic dates they had.

I absolutely loved every moment of this wonderful story. A very good happily ever after story. I definitely recommend it.
Karen
Dec 21, 2014 rated it liked it
I just honestly kind of had trouble with this book at times. I liked the characters enough, and I enjoyed Tess's backstory and her growth. At times it seemed to get bogged down in the windmill alternative energy aspect and then at times the romance, the majesty of the small town atmosphere, etc was perfect. The two just didn't mesh quite like I had envisioned. But it was still a cute, feel good read.
Sherry
Dec 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I received this book in exchange for a honest review. This is the 2nd book I've read by Claire McEwn and I loved it. I loved the characters, the story line, and everything about the book. This is a feel good story and I loved the ending! I will definitely read more of her books and definitely recommend you read this book!
Susan Fortune Pinheiro
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love the way the book opens. It's very refreshing. Great chemistry between the characters. The heroine is a competent woman with a promising carrier–Yes! The book contained several twists, including a brilliant Don Quixote moment. I will definitely look for other books by this author.
Jen
Jun 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Book won in a Goodreads contest.

Read my review at http://romancing-the-book.com/2015/06...
Gayle Parness
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very sweet, well-written small town romance. I liked both lead characters because they were strong and capable, yet also vulnerable. The romance wove around the story perfectly. Great read!
Crystal Holloway
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Okay I'm a sap. I LOVE a good love story...and this one did not disappoint! Tess and Slaid are amazing! I want to read more of Claire's characters and love stories!
Harlequin Books
"The colorful descriptions of the scenery and town are nicely done, and the interactions between Slaid and Tess are clever" (RT Book Reviews, 4 stars).
Michelle Gibson
Feb 13, 2017
Christina Britton
Feb 25, 2016
Western and Medie...: Contemporary Western Giveaway! 15 12 Dec 31, 2014 05:40AM
Happily Ever Afte...: Giving Away Ten Copies of My January Book! 3 13 Dec 16, 2014 03:53PM
Claire McEwen lives by the ocean in Northern California with her family and a scruffy, mischievous terrier. When not dreaming up new stories, she can be found digging in her garden with a lot of enthusiasm but, unfortunately, no green thumb. She loves discovering flea-market treasures, walking on the beach, dancing, traveling and reading, of course!