Start by marking “Through the Shimmer of Time” as Want to Read:
Through the Shimmer of Time

Through the Shimmer of Time

A little curiosity never hurt anyone, right?

When Jim ditches his little sister to search for a haunted cabin, he gets time-traveled nearly 200 years into the past - right into the middle of a swindler's cover-up. The criminals have murder on their minds now, but Jim is trapped in time.

Hannah's life of family and farm chores is turned upside down when a boy in strange
Kindle Edition
Published July 30th 2014 by Pangur Bán Books

To ask other readers questions about Through the Shimmer of Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Through the Shimmer of Time

Start your review of Through the Shimmer of Time
Dakota Douglas
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
THIS ONE TICKS ALL THE BOXES FOR A GREAT READ
I like a story that keeps me interested from start to finish, is well written and has characters that I care what happens to them. This one ticks all my boxes.
From the get go, the story captured my interest. Twelve-year-old Jim has been dragged once again by his history-obsessed mom to Granger Village, a living history park full of restored cabins and shops where staff dress up as frontier characters from the 1830s. What makes matters worse, he has to
Renee
This review was completed by my 12 year old daughter for Mother Daughter Book Reviews.

DAUGHTER SAYS:

This book tells the story of a boy named Jim who abandons his little sister to go see a haunted cabin; but then he accidentally travels back through time to the year 1838 where we meet Hannah and her family. They are doing their regular chores when a boy appears out of the haunted cabin. He says his name is Jim. Hannah and Jim become friends and they must solve a murder and track down a criminal
Blake
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot more than I thought I would. The characters were great. The story was intriguing. I typically shy away from the “boy from the present is magically transported to the past” theme because those stories are usually rife with history lessons, but that wasn’t the case at all in this book. The history aspect was to the point, and from the characters’ vernacular to the way they carried themselves, it felt very genuine. The author obviously did her research. 4.5 stars, really. ...more
Rachael Eliker
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have a soft spot for time travel books because they allow modern readers to be displaced into a world that seems so foreign and different, though it really wasn't that long ago. I loved the twist in location and time for the characters and delving into how each would react to life in a different era. I thoroughly enjoyed Through the Shimmer of Time, especially Hannah, who is tough, clever, and has a few things to teach to the main character, Jim. I think any MG reader would love this thrilling ...more
Kassandra Lamb
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great middle-grade mystery! I’m 62 so I don’t normally read books aimed at kids, but I was a huge Laura Ingalls Wilder fan as a child and I love mysteries. So when I was offered a copy of this story in exchange for an honest review, I decided to give it a try.

I am so glad I did. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

The characters and the story are very engaging, and realistic. By the time I was halfway through it, I was totally believing in time travel! Bravo, Ms. Jensen. Keep up the good work!
Ella Emerson
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm always looking for great reads for my kids

This book was very entertaining, and I can't wait to have both my kids read it (14 and 12). Very well-written and the characters are so cute. I loved it. Jennifer has a great imagination and I can't wait to read more from this fabulous author!
F.P. Spirit
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a very enjoyable read. It took me back to when I was a kid. I used to love to read the Hardy Boys. Those books wove likeable characters, mystery and adventure all into one. This book does the same. It is a great read for kids, or for the kid inside of us all.

I highly recommend this for anyone looking for a clean YA read in the mystery/sci fi genre.
Keziah Cannon
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Keziah by: Jennifer Jensen
While not my typical go-to book (it's a bit young for me) I really enjoyed it. The time-travel was understandable, mostly because it didn't go into the science behind it all. The mystery was light and not too complicated, the action was good, but not overly suspenseful. All in all, a good young readers book.
Isabel Pietri
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: The entire family
Recommended to Isabel by: #RRBC
Through the Shimmer of Time starts in Granger village, a living history park. Jim Taylor and his seven year old sister are listening to an actor posing as an old storyteller from the 1830’s. The old man is telling a story of ghosts at Granger’s trading post. It is summer, hot and Jim is antsy about setting off rockets and the ghost story he just heard. Is it real? Does the cabin exist?
Jim not only experiences going back in time figuratively at the history village, but he does some actual time
Melinda VanLone
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This story made me feel like a kid again. I loved mysteries as a child, and even as an adult I gobbled this one up. It's middle-grade, and I think it's perfect for that age group. There's mystery, excitement, a hint of danger, and an annoying little sister (not really, but he thinks she is and don't ALL siblings think that?). It's real life, with time travel twists. Love it. If your child likes mysteries and time adventures, they'll love it.
Rhonda
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good middle grade book that even adults will enjoy. It was well-written and entertaining. I think most pre-teens will enjoy.
Erin
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Will make a great movie someday. Lots of action and can't put it down. Great for tweens thru adults.
Aubrielle Pluim
Sep 23, 2016
Jennifer Jensen
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Nov 12, 2015
Jennifer B
Patrick Siu
Sweetpea
Nov 02, 2015
Jennifer Jensen is an award-winning writer who wouldn’t be without her computer or smart phone, but still dreams of living in the olden days. Until someone invents a working time machine, she lives in Indiana and makes do with plenty of imagination, loads of books and as much Dr. Who as the BBC will produce.

She’s a longtime member of SCBWI and has received two Indiana Arts Commission grants for