Start by marking “The Eighth Day” as Want to Read:
The Eighth Day

The Eighth Day

"And on the Seventh Day, He rested." --Genesis, 2:2-3 The EighthDay is an explosive, compulsively readable novel of suspense that plunges a clever young man into a web of mystery and international deceit, bringing him face to face with the ultimate evil. Danny Cray is a struggling 28 year-old sculptor and video artist who lives in Washington DC. To make ends meet, he does occasiona ...more
Published August 7th 2003 by Arrow (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Eighth Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Eighth Day

Edmond Gagnon
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it
This was the first John Case book for me. It was a good read so I can't say I was disappointed with the story, but maybe the protagonist - he's no super hero with special powers, but an almost normal person - an artist who does P.I. work on the side? He makes some pretty dumb moves as far as I'm concerned, but stumbles his way from country to country trying to take in the sites while killers are in pursuit.
The story is predictable, but fun, you almost can't wait to see what predicament he'
Billy
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
Not John Case's best work...,

Having read John Case's first 3 novels before coming to this, the fourth by the husband and wife duo who write under a pseudonym, I was ready for another fantastic read. Unfortunately, I was dissapointed.
This book was weak in character development, story line, suspense and resolution.
Firstly, the main character, Dan Cray, was not anyone that I was profoundly concerned about; he was milquetoast at best. I suppose it is possible that this is the
Elian
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Early in the book, I wrote this note: "The WRITING! Details that appeal to how we think and notice things. And so fun for the imagination - not overwhelming, but detailed and vibrant. Able to convey how normal people speak. No major dissensions between characters. Love what he chooses to put into the book. So far, fantastic."
I did very much enjoy how he wrote this book. And it was definitely an action and suspense packed story.
I am glad I read it once, but it was sooo suspenseful, and I u
Maurean
Definately not my favorite Case novel (that distinction still lies with "The Genesis Code"), but a somewhat entertaining read, nonetheless.

In this one, we follow Danny Cray , struggling artist and part-time PI, as he becomes unwittingly caught up in a conspiracy to overthrow the religious leader of the Kurds.

The storyline, while immensely entertaining and interesting in its subject matter, didn't grab me like many of his other books, and I'm sure that is because I found the protagon
Reader57
Sep 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
Danny Cray is about as naieve as an individual can get. He's a sculpture doing some mild investigative work on the side for a friend's firm. he takes a job outside the firm that is supposed to be easy and pays a ridiculous fee. That should be clue #1 that the job is going to be more than it seems. He then just gets into one more piece of trouble after another. Only in fiction does he still survive and the bad guys lose in the end. You know that the bad guys will lose you just hang in there to se ...more
John M.
Mar 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Not a bad action-thriller but a little more than I wanted to know about nanotechnology.
LeAnn
Jan 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book that kept me hanging on at every chapter's end. I just couldn't put it down. John Case's writing is certainly not "easy reading," as the story always involves some type of technology, biological issue, religion, etc. that he has to spend pages and pages explaining. I don't see that as a bad thing and enjoy the challenge of understanding what is going on, but I could see that others might find it laborious.
Tory Wagner
Dec 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Another great thriller from John Case. I especially liked the main character, Danny Cray, whose internal thoughts seemed very honest with a spark of humor. The mystery surrounds several mysterious deaths and the action quickly moves to a remote region of Turkey and a tribal sect. You definately need to suspend belief, as many of Danny's escapes are obviously fantastical, but if you go with it, it's a great ride!
Vic Heaney
Feb 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another John Case book about an ordinary man caught up in extraordinary events. Fast-paced, the usual input of information on an extraordinary technology. Danny can only hope to get out of the dangerous situation in which he is placed by becoming more and more involved. A bit like riding a fixed-gear bike, which is something I well remember from my youth - you can't stop pedalling, you have to go on, even when you are plunging into danger. And Danny has no brakes.
Bradley Valentine
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Continuing the slump I’ve been in lately... haha. I picked up this book because I really liked the idea of the character being an artist. That’s about the only thing I did like, and that aspect didn’t even necessarily jive with the story. Given how ominous John Case plays the client, I don’t think it’s giving anything away by saying things down turn out well between client and Danny Cray. That’s cool, right? Because you wouldn’t have much of a story otherwise. This is a noir kind of thing after ...more
Daniel
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Danny Cay, an artist and part time private investigator, is hired by a very wealthy man, to find out who started a smear campaign against him. During the course of the investigation Danny finds out that the man that hired him isn't the man Danny thought he was. Actually the guy, Zebek, is a ruthless killer that used Danny to track down men that were trying to stop him from stealing money from an ancient religious order Now he's after Danny and Danny has to figure out a way to stop Zebec or be mu ...more
Doreen Hawes
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Eighth Day by John Case

If you like Dan Brown you will enjoy this, John Case wrote thriller books around religious themes before Dan Brown.
Danny is hired to find someone who is defaming a Turkish millionaire, however the people he finds all die in horrible ways. Soon he finds that he has become the target of the business man and somehow he must survive. The answers lie in science particularly nanotechnology. It’s a thrilling ride and a really good story.
Sandra
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ok, started good, to the end seemed too long.
JOHN BARLOW
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An enthralling novel. Scientific information intertwined with moments of violence and horror.
Steve Pillinger
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was great! Well up to Case standard.
Dana
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Ending was awful. 3 stars up to the end.
LeAnne
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Exciting! Trips to Rome, DC.,California and Turkey through the eyes of a struggling artist/private investigator.
Charleen
Dec 21, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: year-2012, 3-stars
I have really enjoyed other John Case novels, but this one didn't live up to my expectations. It's entertaining enough for what it is -- a fast-paced conspiracy adventure -- but that really sums it up. There's nothing exceptional about it. It was easy to put down. The one thing that could have created some real urgency in the story wasn't revealed until very close to the end, and even then it was just glossed over. I still have a couple other John Case novels to read, so I'm hoping this one was ...more
Eric
Oct 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book takes you on a journey filled with twists and turns, filling you in on a dark history of a secret cult-like group, a mysterious evil character who seems to be orchestrating the deaths of key people, and the hero character who finds himself thrust in the middle of it all trying to sort it all out before it's too late. Character development is good throughout this mix of science, religion, humor, and suspense. About 3/4 of the way through I felt it lost just a bit of steam, but it came b ...more
Karenbike Patterson
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
John Lansing Ashley was wrongly convicted of the murder of his best friend. Mysterious friends rescued him and he spent his life on the run. His 4 children go on the be successful and reveal the unfinished life of John. It also tells the compassion and understanding of the friend's family and the town he lived in. There are back stories and lots of meanderings that bog the book down and make it slow, but it is beautifully written and lyrical and unusual.
Corey Peters
Dec 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
So this one was ok...I picked it up in a used bookstore to read while on the treadmill at the gym. and it served its purpose well. I can't really recommend it though...needs a good editing as it could have chopped down about 50 pages and much of the plot was fairly preposterous. Having said all that, I did enjoy it enough for what I expected of it, but that's about it.
Michael
Oct 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle_east
"The Eight Day" is not what I usually read, but I still very mich enjoyed it. This book is the literary equivalent of a Hollywood thriller: fast paced, action packed, a little over the top and violent. I'd tell you to get some popcorn with it, but it's a real pageturner so you'll need your hands free.
Cathy
Mar 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
video artist does some lucrative private investigator work to help pay the rent and ends up on the wrong side of the bad guys when he lets his morals get involved. michael-crichton-esque non-stop action and although some of the scenarios are a stretch, it's pure fun to read and will no doubt soon be made into a summer blockbuster.
Michael C
Mar 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
this is not a review of the story or the author's style. rather, how did this book grab me? about halfway through I found it hard to put the book to one side. to that point the story was complicated. thsn it came together. but the ending - more precisely, the epilogue - left me feeling that the story was incomplete. all in all, ok
M Tremmel
I took our library's new quiz which gives you ten book s you'd like based on what you've already read. This one came up. It was mildly interesting but the writing was poor and the plot line thin in places. It turned into one of those books you finish just to see what happens. Wouldn't recommend.
Mamabeets
Jun 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
The Eighth Day is the last John Case I read; a page-turner, yes; his best, no. Still, I enjoyed the ride and the ending wraps up all the loose ends. I was afraid there would be no runner reference in this one, but over pronators got a nod about half way through. Thanks John.
Kevin
Feb 18, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action-adventure
Very good action adventure. Complicated and descriptive passages of places the main character is visiting plot dragged down the action occasionaly. Still, an action / adventure writer you can count on.
Jeff Brateman
Feb 25, 2010 rated it liked it
Beginning was boring! Then, there was action: awesome! Then, argh, it sucked at the end. For the most part, this was fun to read, and if the ending were a little more thought out, I'd give it 4 stars.
Chazzle
The Eighth Day, by John Case - 3 stars; good, enjoyable action book, but too much detail (e.g., too many Turkish names, and a 4 page description of trying to find the right password on the internet); overall though, a good book
Anita
Feb 04, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: i-own-this-book
An entertaining read. It ties all lose ends but does it in a hurry. The ending is a little bit anti-climatic, it could've been better.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Exile
  • The Kill Zone (Kirk McGarvey, #9)
  • Resurrection Day
  • The Last Goodbye
  • Getting Back
  • Darkside
  • Vertical Burn
  • The Medusa Stone (Philip Mercer, #3)
  • The Venus Conspiracy
  • Jury Of One
  • Echo of the Reich (Chris Bronson, #5)
  • Trading Reality
  • Penguins Stopped Play
  • The Sinai Secret (Lang Reilly #3)
  • The Catalyst
  • Blackwater Sound (Thorn, #7)
  • Pandora's Clock
  • Fatal Flaw (Victor Carl, #3)
Writing as 'John Case,' Jim and Carolyn Hougan are the New York Times best-selling authors of The Genesis Code and five other thrillers.

An award-winning investigative reporter, Jim is the author of The Magdalene Cipher, a novel of conspiracy, and two non-fiction books about the CIA: Spooks and Secret Agenda.

Carolyn is the author of four novels, including The Romeo Flag.

T