Start by marking “Parenting in the Age of Attention Snatchers: A Step-by-Step Guide to Balancing Your Child's Use of Technology” as Want to Read:

Are your kids unable to step away from the screens?  Here is a practical, step-by-step guide that gives parents the tools to teach children, from toddlers to teens, how to gain control of their technology use.

As children spend more of their time on tablets and smartphones, using apps specially engineered to capture their attention, parents are concerned about the effects
Published April 28th 2015 by Shambhala (first published April 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Parenting in the Age of Attention Snatchers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Parenting in the Age of Attention Snatchers

Bea  Charmed
Buy this book!

Okay, if you don't have kids, work with them, or care for them, you can probably skip this one. But, if you have children living with you or you work with children, then you need to read this book. Technology, gaming, and social media are here and we can't realistically avoid them. But it's hard to know the benefits and pitfalls and if it's hard for adults, imagine the difficulty for children, and that includes teens, whose brains are quite literally still developing.

This book is n
José Antonio Lopez
Mar 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lucy Jo Palladino's book, Parenting in the Age of Attention Snatchers: A Step-by-Step Guide to Balancing Your Child's Use of Technology is a timely contribution to parenting in the 21st Century. An update version of the classical Marshmallow Experiment, the technology devices of today are magnets to the Involuntary Attention of kids and teens (and adults).

Palladino complements the traditional research about willpower with modern results in neuroscience. The limbic (primitive) system arm wrestli
Julia
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is the first and only evidence-based approach I have seen that helps parents decide how to balance to use of technology with the reality of how a child’s brain develops. Technology is here to stay – but how do we make sure our kids still develop the important skill of deliberate, sustained attention? They need our help to learn to use technology effectively, rather than be victims of it. Thank goodness for Dr. Palladino’s real-life examples and tools for parents, based on the most cutt ...more
Rebecca Suffety Patel
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Important info to consider in this age of technology, screens, and constant distractions. I not only found this book helpful in parenting but also in my own use of technology.
دعاء الدريس
جميل جداً يجعلنا نتفهم إدمان أطفالنا (وإدماننا نحن) على الأجهزة الذكية
ويسلحنا بالطرق اللازمة لتقنين استخدامها بذكاء وطرق التعامل مع الأولاد

شرحت هذا الكتاب في حلقات باليوتيوب باللغة العربية بعنوان
"التربية في زمن سارقي الانتباه"
قناتي Duaa AlDrees
Arda Gezdur
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
2) Give clear and simple instructions

3) Do not play with your iphone when you are with your child

4) Practice active listening your child

5) Teach them how to concentrate - Voluntary action

5.1) Method 1: Do physical activity with them. Sports are the best type of voluntary action

5.2) Method 2: While they are working, stay with them and work as well. If they see you working, they also will understand that they need to work and do not let the attention snatchers

6) AAP recommends 1-2 hours of enter
Erica Marcus
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was a great simple approach to working with kiddos who have a dependency on their technology. The writing was easily digestible, the language was fun, and the advice seemed reasonable.
Karen
Dec 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Take your time and pay attention to this book. Helpful information presented in a straight forward way. I recommend this book for parents.
Victoria Poon
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
very insightful thoughts on the role of distractions in modern life. I appreciated that these were not demonized but that they need to be understood to be managed.
Deborah Britton
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
This was insightful and offered many good tips but did not give me the specific guidelines that I was looking for.
Melissa
Aug 15, 2017
Fatemah Al-Failakawi
Oct 13, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
I'm a psychologist, author, educator, and blogger with a special interest in attention and neuroscience, My newest book is Parenting in the Age of Attention Snatchers (2015). Before that, I wrote Find Your Focus Zone (2007). My first book, Dreamers, Discoverers and Dynamos, was published in 1997 as a hardcover titled The Edison Trait. I'm grateful to my readers for supporting my work through the y ...more