Start by marking “Undertaking Irene (Jane Delaney Mysteries, #1)” as Want to Read:
Undertaking Irene (Jane Delaney Mysteries, #1)

Undertaking Irene

(Jane Delaney Mysteries #1)

Jane Delaney does things her paying customers can’t do, don’t want to do, don’t want to be seen doing, can’t bring themselves to do, and/or don’t want it to be known they’d paid someone to do. To dead people.

Life gets complicated for Jane and her Death Diva business when she’s hired to liberate a gaudy mermaid brooch from the corpse during a wake—on behalf of the rightful
Published August 2nd 2014 by Radical Poodle Press

To ask other readers questions about Undertaking Irene, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Undertaking Irene

Gail Koger
Aug 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Great characters and a nice mystery
Dee
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is such a fun read. Ms. Burford's choice of words and easy way of bringing her quirky characters to life had me snickering from the get-go. Yet, even with the light breezy tone of this story, it's packed with emotion and intrigue that keeps you turning the pages. I don't know what Ms. Burford has planned for her other Jane Delaney Mysteries, but I am eager to find out.
Carol
What a hoot!! This is the first cozy in Pamela Burford’s Jane
Delaney Mystery Series.
The main character is known as the Death Diva. Jane
performs service for the survivors of the dead such as
taking flowers to the deceased grave sites on special
occasions, dressing up to attend funerals actually
anything she is paid to do that her customers do not want
to do themselves. This time it is to steal a brooch off the
decease’s body during the viewing. Only problem is a priest
approaches to pay his respect
LORI CASWELL
Aug 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014

Life gets complicated for Jane and her Death Diva business when she’s hired to liberate a gaudy mermaid brooch from the corpse during a wake. Well, a girl’s got to make a living, and this assignment pays better than scattering ashes, placing flowers on graves, or bawling her eyes out as a hi
Leslie
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: purchased, mystery, humor
This is a really fun cozy mystery. Jane Delaney is the 'Death Diva', she puts the Fun in Funeral. As a personal assistant, to an eccentric widow she has done numerous jobs over the year involving the recently deceased. So stealing a tacky brooch from a corpse at the viewing is just another day another dollar to our Janey. But things don't go smoothly, and her night just gets worse and worse until she is talking to a much fresher corpse.

Jane is self-effacing, funny and snarky. She is also brave,
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
Aug 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014, books-to-review
quite a humorous book! yes it is still a mystery but there are quite a few bits of humor throughout. The book is told in first person so if that bothers you (and I know a few people that it does) you may not enjoy the book. But if you can get past that, then this mystery will keep you guessing. There is a dog - a poor poodle that hasn't seen a groomer since birth, named Sexy Beast. A "priest" named Martin who really isn't a priest, thank goodness because apparently he is quite the hunk.

I didn't
Meg
3.5* A good first mystery with plenty of suspects. What brought down the rating for me was that I just couldn't get into the character of Martin. Just too devious for my liking, a 'bad boy' that kept going too far. The action at the end put him into somewhat a 'hero' role, but still not enough to make up for other things (to me, anyway). I am considering the next in the series to see how the mc gets on.
Amy
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Jane Delaney has an unusual job, Death Diva. What is a Death Diva? Well for Jane that means taking flowers to graves, catering funerals and in this case stealing a brooch off a dead lady during her wake.
When Jane goes to let Irene know she failed, she finds her dead. Was she murdered or did she die of a heart attack!?
This book will keep you guessing, with a cast of quirky characters and a sense of humor.
Kathy
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was gifted with this book from the author for an honest review. I have to say I loved it! It was very funny and the characters are a riot! If you don't like puns, death jokes etc. then skip this series. I love them and loved the way the main character talks to the reader. Will definitely be reading more of this author and this series. Keep it up Ms. Burford!
Barbara Fraley
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
refreshing and humor filled - ever heard of a "death diva"? well, jane Delaney is one, with a sound business plan, 20 years of experience and repeat customers. well "repeat customers" sounds a little odd for a "death diva", but you'll see. she's barely making ends meet, but she is on her own until a counterfeit padre horns in on the action. and then there are the deaths/ murders? and sexy beast! you'll love him - he's a millionaire! a definite read
Ramona
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining

Well written, I enjoyed the way the author pulls you in, with some comments like" yes, I said that". She connects with us. Humorous, smart and a sprinkle of romace, without being sappy. Jane is smart and tenacious. Once she gets a feeling that her employer /friend didn't die of natural causes; she's on a mission that will put her in harms way. Great read!
Jan
Great fun with a creative protagonist, nearly constant laughs, and a far out plot!
Goosegirl
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a fun read, and exactly what I needed. It's the perfect cozy mystery and the characters were so wonderful and their flaws realistic.

Definitely will continue this series, I mean how could I not when it has a toy poodle names Sexy Beast?
Rhonda
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
4 STARS

Jane Delaney has a very interesting job. She does things for or too people that have died. Right now her job is to steal a pin the deceased plans to be buried with. But someone beat her to it. It has some funny moments in this book, and some very serious moments too.

Jane finds her friend dead. She does not believe it was a natural death so she convinces someone to look into it. She ends up being a suspect. Their are a few suspects that have motive. It keeps you guessing till it reveals
Gwen Johnston-petrarch
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Burford has done it again with Undertaking Irene! What happens when you mix a cantankerous, eccentric old lady who's weekly Poker Posse invited a host of small town suspicious characters who are anything but the 'usual suspects' and mix it with a allegedly worthless, as in priceless brooch, a motorcycling mystery man masquerading as pilfering priest and a scraggly apricot-haired poodle named Sexy Beast..? Uh, uh, uh, not gonna tell ya!
But I will tell you that Burford never fails to deliver a wic
OTMM
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I can't usually read mysteries because I have a limited memory and never enough time to read straight-through to recall who-done-what...but this story was a great read!! I was pleasantly entertained to the very last unexpected page. The quick witty dialogue made me laugh out loud in public : D The interesting plot twists had me changing my mind and pointing the guilty finger at a few different members of the memorable cast of hilarious characters...and I was so (happily) wrong! Fabulously funny! ...more
Christine Woinich
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the humor throughout the book as well as the many twists of the mystery. Jane Delaney is an interesting person and it was fun jumping from conclusion to conclusion with her. She put aside her perceptions when faced with the evidence. Underneath all the mystery solving and dog care, she grew up as she realized that her past love life should not hinder living her life in the present. This is the first in the Jane Delaney Mysteries, and I look forward to reading more.

I was given a
Jill
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Irene, the “Death Diva” will (for a fee) pretend to be a mourner at a funeral or an exgirl friend, take flowers to gravesites, crush an enemy’s ashes into a dirty rug, or anything else one may need done to/for the dearly departed (I think authors must stay awake at night trying to come up with regular jobs for their amateur sleuths) Unfortunately, Irene’s’ best client is killed and she and a fake priest must try to find the culprit.
Lillian Marek
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A tart-tongued heroine with an unusual occupation as a Death Diva, a dust mop of a poodle called Sexy Beast, a dead woman who may or may not have been murdered, half a dozen suspects, and a bit of romance with both a bad boy (who isn't really a priest) and a straight arrow ex-husband—it all adds up to a delightful mystery. I hope it's the start of a long series.
Emilia
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Book #1 in Jane Delaney series :)
Humoristic, fast paced, surprising at times :D really fun to read :) And even the fact that my first suspect turned out to be the killer at the end - did not spoil anything (Especially that as I was reading on the suspects were just coming and going ;) ).
Great read!!!
Geoff Symon
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Thrilling, suspenseful but most of all fun! How can you not be intrigued about a story with the Death Diva? I love a good mystery, but normally find myself with the dark and morbid kind. This one starts with an upbeat and entertaining premise and keeps you going page after page. Highly recommended!
Shelley Giusti
Aug 25, 2014 rated it really liked it

Witty characters, humorous story line and a plot so fun you won't want to stop reading this book! Jane Delaney's job is anything but normal. She gets hired to retrieve things off dead people. I loved this book it's laugh out loud funny and will make people wonder what you are reading!!
Meara Platt
Sep 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A funny, quirky mystery with a loveable sleuth and a hilarious, personality-laden dog that had me smiling as I turned the pages. Throw in an excellent mix of suspects and two interesting and believable love interests and she has the makings of a great mystery series.
Susan
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great start to a new series! A unique storyline with some fun characters. Got to love Sexy Beast! I'm off to read the next one. Hope to see lots of Jane & Martin!
Dasha
Cute idea, decent writing but by the last third credulity was crippled, nonsense abounded, and I was disappointed. No more by this author for me.
Rebecca Woitte
Th author tries to write like Janet Evanovich, but falls short of the mark.
Carlin
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-kindle
This was a delightful and quirky mystery, the first in the Jane Delaney series. I was intrigued from the first page. Jane has happily donned the moniker of Death Diva as she does things for recently bereaved people that they don't want to do themselves. She's been working off and on for Irene since she was 16 (she is now in her late 30s). Irene is a crotchety older woman who has had a running feud with another elderly woman and when the latter dies, Irene asks Jane to "appropriate" a mermaid bro ...more
Lisa
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Death Diva Jane Delaney takes on tasks some people wouldn't even touch with a 10-foot pole. Her latest gig is reclaiming a brooch belonging to her client, Irene, who is like a mom to Jane and sends quite a bit of Death Diva business her way. Sounds easy enough, right? Well, the person wearing it is dead and in a casket, and Jane has to surreptitiously snatch it at the calling hours. A bit more complicated but still doable for Jane. When a priest shows up to pay his condolences, naturally, she al ...more
Katharyn Baker
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jane Delaney is the Death Diva. Don’t worry, it’s not as icky as it sounds. For a price, she will help you with all those annoying little details surrounding your funeral: hiring caterers, enthusiastically wailing in the front row, and even disposing of ashes in unique ways. When one of her most loyal clients asks her to retrieve a mermaid broach from the casket of an old friend, she agrees without much quibbling. After all, it’s like the corpse really needs it? Unfortunately, before Jane can co ...more
Wendy
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jane has an interesting job - and not always legal - performing tasks involving the deceased that her customers can't or won't do: crying at funerals, acting as the bereft mistress of the deceased, putting the ashes of a anti-hunter in shotgun shells & firing in the forest -- you get the picture. Her most frequent client and dear friend Irene hires Jane to steal a broach off the body of a rival, but a "priest" beats her to it. When she goes to tell Irene about it, she finds Irene dead of an ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• An Act of Deceit (Sarah Woods Mystery Series, #2)
  • All Murders Final! (Sarah Winston Garage Sale Mystery #3)
  • Peril in the Park (Jamie Quinn Mystery #3)
  • The Big Lead (Stella Reynolds Mystery, #1)
  • Buttered and Scrambled With Murder (A Josie Rizzo Cozy Mystery #4)
  • Depraved Difference (Detective Shakespeare Mysteries, #1)
  • Southern Bound (Max Porter, #1)
  • Murder at the Nineteenth (Lambert and Hook #1)
  • Elvis and the Tropical Double Trouble
  • A Truth For a Truth (Ministry is Murder Mystery, #5)
  • Murder, Curlers, and Cream (Valentine Beaumont Mysteries #1)
  • Baptism in Blood (Gregor Demarkian, #14)
  • The Leigh Koslow Mystery Series: Books One, Two, and Three: Boxed Set
  • Lucky Double: A Two-Book Lucky Bundle
  • Sowed to Death (Farmer's Daughter Mystery #2)
  • Shattered Palms (Lei Crime, #6)
  • Killing the Beasts (DI Spicer #1)
  • Bound (The Witches of Doyle #1)
Pamela Burford comes from a funny family. You may take that any way you want. She was raised in a household that valued laughter above all, so of course the first thing she looked for in a husband was a sense of humor. Is it any wonder their grown kids are into stand-up comedy and improv? Oh, and here's another fun family fact: Pamela's identical twin sister, Patricia Ryan, aka P.B. Ryan, is also ...more

Jane Delaney Mysteries (4 books)
  • Uprooting Ernie: A Jane Delaney Mystery, Book 2 (Jane Delaney Mysteries, #2)
  • Perforating Pierre: A Jane Delaney Mystery, Book 3 (Jane Delaney Mysteries, #3)
  • Icing Allison: A Jane Delaney Mystery, book 4 (Jane Delaney Mysteries, #4)
“The brooch was a cheap bauble, but one with powerful sentimental value. Not that Irene was the sentimental type, aside from the smother-love she lavished on her toy poodle, but she’d known Colette her whole life. They’d grown up in the same grimy apartment house in Bay Ridge and had at one time” 0 likes
“but my schadenfreude was dampened by the knowledge that if Detective Hernandez didn’t have it in for me before, she sure as shootin’ did now.” 0 likes