Jump to ratings and reviews

SAFELIGHT #1

chasing Reese.

Loss brings love...

Everything in life is not permanent but it was perfect. Catalina Pardo had a career in journalism most people could only dream of, a hot, sexy fiancé to call her own and a brilliant future ahead of her. When tragedy struck, the life she once knew fell apart.

Four years later, traumatized by the events that ultimately changed her existence, Catalina sets herself on a punishing work schedule, preventing herself from facing the demons of her grief-stricken past. Emotionally shut down, she’s alive but not living because everyone she ever loved leaves her.

Fate intervenes in Catalina’s life in the form of a last minute assignment to a snowy mountain lodge in Whistler, B.C. Sent there to cover the life of the infamous Jackson Reese; an Olympic Snowboarding Champion, she is faced with many challenges bringing to surface the raw emotions of her past.

Compelled to work alongside Stryder Martynus, an award winning photographer brought in to document the Reese press tour, tensions and denial run high forcing Catalina to accept the past and face the present with zero regrets.

*Adult Fiction Sports Romance - Due to strong language and sexual content, this book is not suitable for readers under the age of eighteen.*

378 pages, ebook

First published January 5, 2015

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Imy Santiago

11 books357 followers
Imy Santiago studied Criminal Justice and Psychology at Universidad Metropolitana, and received a Bachelor of Arts degree in 2011. As a Summa cum Laude graduate, she is the recipient of the University President medal for excellence in academic achievement. She lives on Long Island with her fiance and daughter. Currently, she spends her days nose-deep in her iPad writing new stories she hopes to publish in the near future. chasing Reese. is her first novel. When she's not writing, you will find her chasing after her family with a smile on her face determined to make her dreams come.

Official Website www.imysantiago.com
Instagram @legalimy
Pinterest @legalimy

For inquiries, please email Imy.Santiago@gmail.com

Imy Santiago's Published Novels

chasing Reese. (SAFELIGHT #1)
http://getbook.at/chasingReese <--Amazon
http://bit.ly/1CItWom <--Barnes and Noble
http://apple.co/1VaBnwZ <--iTunes
http://bit.ly/1O6cCg4 <--Kobo
http://goo.gl/forms/2SJNmiqx4A <--Signed copies

finding Reese. (SAFELIGHT #2)
http://getbook.at/findingReese <--Amazon
http://bit.ly/1BDBq8O <--Barnes and Noble
http://apple.co/1HDsPpj <--iTunes
http://bit.ly/1V3ZvBu <--Kobo
http://goo.gl/forms/2SJNmiqx4A <--Signed copies

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
7 (5%)
1 star
1 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 79 reviews
Profile Image for Nicola Anderson.
20 reviews3 followers
November 14, 2014
I was lucky enough to be gifted an ARC of chasing Reese and WOW!! Where do I start?!?
Catalina Pardo is a journalist for a sports magazine, she is engaged and pregnant with her first child, life couldn't get any better until a freak accident changes everything, her life as she knows it is turned upside down and nothing will ever be the same again. Fast forward four years and Catalina is sad, lonely and depressed. She is about to take off for 3 months well earned vacation time when she is forced to cover a story on Jackson Reese, the only problem is Reese is an Olympic champion snowboarder and Cat HATES the snow.
Catalina is assigned to work with Stryder Martynus, Jackson's personal photographer.
Stryder is a freelance photographer, having had his heart shattered by his childhood sweetheart he now chooses to pick women up and have meaningless sex, never lasting more than one night and certainly with no prospect of ever having a relationship with any of them. All this is well and good but it doesn't fill the void in his heart left when his ex fiancé betrayed him so badly.
Jackson Reese has it all! He is an A list celebrity and Olympic gold medalist but behind it all he struggles with his own personal issues.
When reporter Catalina Pardo shows up he feels an instant connection, he can't explain it nor can he ignore it.
chasing Reese is a story of love, loss, friendship, hope and redemption. It is a beautifully written story and I cannot believe this is Imy Santiago's debut book! It is so beautifully crafted it's hard to believe it comes from a first time author.
5***** I can't recommend this book enough!
Congratulations Imy, thank you for sharing such a wonderful and heart felt story. I'm now eagerly anticipating vol 2!
Profile Image for Ashley Heather.
214 reviews8 followers
January 5, 2015
Wow wow wow and another shot of wow!!

This is a beautiful story and one that will stay with you.

Descriptive words to describe this novel would be - stunning, fabulous, emotional, flawless and amazing! 100% worth it.

I truly can't believe this is a debut book by the author! *standing ovation for Ms Santiago*

Whenever I read a book I always find if that book makes me have feelings or think then it's an awesome book!
Well with this one I felt it on every level and I also had so many questions in my head that I couldn't keep up with them all.

I feel very blessed to have been lucky enough to receive an arc of this book.
I literally didn't put this down from the moment I started reading and I actually read it in just over 24 hours, if it hadn't been for the things in life like needing sleep and seeing to small children then I would have read through.

This book gripped me that much and had me on such an emotional roller coaster I really didn't want to put it down. I wanted to continue reading through each new chapter that I came to because even though the ride may have been emotional it was a wonderful one.

Meet Catalina (Cat) - a woman that's had so much heartache and personal loss throughout her life, that to just survive she builds these walls around not just herself, her heart too. After enduring yet another tragedy that robs her of her planned future, she recoils into herself and outwardly hides behind her image and her job as a journalist. Cat basically exists and doesn't allow herself to actually live. That is until she gets sent on a new job assignment and encounters the gorgeous Stryder Martynus.
I love Cat and her sassy no nonsense attitude she gives yet underneath the shell she shows her soft vulnerable side you will want to hug her.

Meet Stryder - a man that at the age of 34 thought he would be living a different life to the one he is. Doesn't the story normally go man meets woman, man marries woman, man and woman live happily ever after?! ...hmm maybe in fairy tales. Nowhere is it written woman breaks mans heart. Stryder throws himself into his work as a photo journalist travelling around the world like a drifter of life. He disengages himself from people, from relationships, especially with women. His heart has been trampled once he has no desire to have it done a second time. That is until he meets stunning Catalina Pardo.
I love the go get it attitude Stryder gives when he sets his sights on something but he also has a sexy romantic side that you will find alluring.

From their first momentary encounter both Cat and Stryder feel the pull, the electricity that seems to draw them together even though their meeting is a fleeting episode. Then by a twist of fate they are brought back into each other's lives. The common link for them both being Stryder's best friend and Cats new job, Jackson Reese.

Meet Jackson - pro snowboarder with the world at his feet but Jax is also a troubled man that seems to have trust issues. He's not the man the media portray. He should be wary of journalists yet he's drawn to Cat like she's some sort of an anchor in his crazy mixed up life. Cat and Jax seem to 'get each other' there's an understanding, a bond, a beautiful friendship. Could having the two most important friendships in his life stop Jax from spiralling out of control before it's too late?
I freaking love Jackson! He's smooth, funny and adorable. He could charm the panties of you in a heartbeat :)

I absolutely love the real life element of this story, the plot could actually be anyone of our lives. The story is not just one of these boy meets girl, they fall in love novels. No not at all, not even close.
This is about relationships of people. Not only romantic relationships but friendships, understanding others and personal growth. The relationship between these three people cannot be defined as a love triangle in the romantic sense, for me I saw it as a triangle of interconnected souls.
I truly believe in soul mates of all varieties, a soulmate is anyone that touches your life in a positive, beautiful way either through romance or friendship. The connection and love you can have with someone can be amazing even when romance is not included.

The author brought this story alive by having a third perspective included because seeing the relationships of all three characters evolve and grow was mesmerising and simply quite beautiful to experience.

The emotional journey Cat and Stryder travel together is the roller coaster ride you as a reader will experience. It's a very profound feeling to experience conflicting emotions at the same time but this book will make you feel frustrated for the characters at the same time as excited and sad.
The extra elements Jax brings is the icing on the cake, he has the perfect combination of being able to make you giggle and swoon at the same time :)
Two sexy hot males in one book - what more could a girl ask for?

All I can say is bravo and thank you to this fabulous author for bringing this story to my attention ......it's one you DO NOT want to miss out on!!

I can't wait for the sequel.
Profile Image for K.L. Shandwick.
Author 50 books1,348 followers
December 21, 2014
‘chasing Reese’ Imy Santiago ***AUTHOR!***
Some will know that I mentor Imy and as such, I was privileged with an ARC of this book and have been there as she shared some of the edits. With each excerpt she gave me I grew more and more confident that this DEBUT author was special. (Remember the DEBUT fact when you read it.)
I told her I would read and give my honest opinion and as she knows me, knows that I would only give her a rating based on my honest opinion and without bias no matter how personally invested. I’d never want to set anyone up to fail. I’ve just finished the final ARC as I write this and my head is…WOW! IMY SANTIAGO…remember the name. I enjoy reading books but THIS ONE is definitely something special. Last time I said that, the author had a publishing deal within days. This book has to be read.
The way ‘chasing Reese’ is written is just right and the scenes and actions of the characters are described in such as a way that it is almost directional in the characters observations. This creates a very vivid picture in the reader’s mind of the characters interactions and their observations of each other along with the emotional cues going on between them. I was totally there with the characters as the story drew me in.
The storyline is a modern day romance and Ms.Santiago’s flair for the use of extensive, but easy to understand language along with her choice of wording for each scene, brought multi layered non repetitive descriptive writing to the book. In my opinion these scenes were perfectly pitched to give the reader the maximum emotional investment in the story. The flow was seamless for me. Musicwise…”Voilin” Amos Lee…sigh. And, I loved the way the story was unhurried and the relationship developed at a believeable pace.
For me; a skiing fanatic, the ‘heli-skiing scene’ was cool and gave me sparks of an adrenaline rush, and recreated some of the feelings right before one hits the perfect virgin powder at high altitude and had me googling The *BSS site for the latest news *(British Ski and Snowboarding).
Now for the book, ‘chasing Reese’, it follows the story of Catalina, a journalist, who is a strong woman, but affected by past traumatic events. Stryder, an award winning photographer and close friend of their joint assignment, (Jackson Reese) are pulled together to document Reese’s story. I am not going to give any spoilers for this book. The only thing I will say is #oneclick.
‘chasing Reese’ is heart wrenching, humorous, touching and emotional with great dialogue. Ms. Santiago has managed to create likeable, strong characters that all have flaws as humans do and is written from mulitple POVs. If it doesn’t happen straight away Imy Santiago, this book will eventually float to the top. Well Done Ms. Santiago what a DEBUT. Almost everything was on point, so I know there is much more to come from you. After reading the special excerpt for the sequel can’t wait for ‘finding Reese.’
105 reviews2 followers
January 3, 2015
I was gifted this ARC in exchange for an honest review. OMG!!! I absolutely loved this debut novel from author Imy Santiago,the storyline was well written and I could imagine the stunning scenery and Stryder and Jackson are to die for - still don't know which one I love the most!!
The story starts with Catalina, she is a journalist for Xsports, throughout her life she has lost everyone close to her apart from her best friend Faith, as a result of this she has thrown herself into her work for the past four years. Catalina finds herself having to take over an assignment for her colleagues, to go on a press tour for the famous Jackson Reese the reigning Olympic Snowboarding Gold medalist. Due to four years ago this is going to be a hard assignment for Catalina that is going to bring back horrible memories. On this assignment she is partnered with the famous freelance photographer Stryder Martynus who happens to be Jackson Reeses personal photographer and best friend. This is the start of an amazing relationship between these three characters. Jackson and Stryder are seriously talented in their fields and seriously hot to imagine, as I wrote before I still don't know which one I love the most!! I loved the dynamics between the characters it was refreshing, I loved the closeness built between the characters, closeness brought closer by their own internal battles.
Heart stopping moments in this book have definitely got me wanting more, I can not wait to read more about this trio especially Jackson Reese.
Thankyou Imy for the opportunity to read this ARC and for the snippet of book two, I loved every minute of reading this book!!!
Profile Image for Terri.
753 reviews11 followers
December 27, 2014
What sort of story made me want to skip Christmas parties so that I could stay home to read? What sort of story made me stay up late at night reading when I should have been resting for my work day in the morning? This story! "Chasing Reese" by Imy Santiago was a pleasurable journey from beginning to end, and I shall be racing to read the next book in the series!

I cared about the characters from the start and was swept up in their problems. Catalina Pardo is a sassy journalist who buries herself in overwork as she tries and fails to forget her painful past. Stryder Martynus is a hot, award winning photographer who attracts beautiful women with little more effort than flashing his sexy smile, but he has pain in his own past he is trying to outrun. When Catalina and Stryder cross paths, the sparks are immediate. But this isn't a story that rushes the reader to the bedroom. The sexual tension was exquisite! I read faster and faster as the love story between these two delicious characters unfolded.

I was a very lucky woman to receive this book as an ARC before date of release. I shake my head in amazement. This is a debut novel? No way! The writing is descriptive and articulate. The sex scenes sizzle off the pages and almost fried my Kindle.

Remember this author's name. We shall be hearing a lot more about her! A star is born.

Profile Image for Poe O'neill.
15 reviews
December 29, 2014
I won an arc of this book in a competion and i said i would leave an honest review.

I loved this book the story made me laugh, cry and sit with a stupid smile on my face all day while i was reading it.

The chemistry between the three main characters Catalina Pardo the journalist, Stryder Martynus the freelance Photographer and snowboarding gold medalist Jackson Reese was brilliant.

Catalina is a sports journalist who hates the snow due to an accident which left her fiance and unborn baby dead. So when she's given the assignment to cover the story of Jackson Reese she wasn't too happy. For the last four years she's thrown herself into work not even taking a day off, changed her image and put a wall up around her heart not letting anyone get close to her. When she's sent on the assignment she's paired up with Stryder Martynus a handsome italian and freelance photographer, this is when the story really takes off but i don't want to give too much away so i am going to end it there.

I would like to thank Imy for this book and this wonderful story and i can't wait for the next one!!
Profile Image for Joanne Mountford.
317 reviews21 followers
January 2, 2015
What a start of an incredible journey. Imy Santiago writes beautifully. I understood her characters really well as she describes everything brilliantly. I can't believe this is her debut. I have fallen in love with this story, which first brought sadness, then smiles, lots of humour and endless amounts of love. The main characters of this fantastic read are exceptional, starting with Jackson Reese, Jackson likes to live life on a high, he has a great sense of humour, but I could also feel the pain he is trying so hard to hide, it is so easy to fall in love with this character, next up we have Stryder Martynus he is a very talented photographer with a beautiful heart, such a gentleman, all round good guy who we all want and love, don't get me wrong he's not been perfect but he is deep down a very passionate man. Catalina is a trouble woman and honestly who wouldn't be after what she has gone through, sometimes she comes across so strong, then she goes into melt down mode, I felt for her so many times, would she of been different if she had close family by her side?, it makes you wonder, how can you really know what someone is going through if you have not even come close to experiencing the things she has suffer. To be honest I am surprised she even managed to hold down a full time job as a journalist. People say time is a great healer, well maybe sometimes it takes a little more than time. Love can be found in the strangest of places, and sometimes destined to be. I hope you all take this journey of loss, friendship, love and hope. Thank you for sharing such a well written story which I have enjoyed thoroughly, I am sure it will be a success as many readers enjoy a beautiful story which I can only describe as a life journey.
Profile Image for Rebecca Johnson Dye.
89 reviews17 followers
December 22, 2014
This story gets 5 amazing stars ! This is the debut book by Imy Santiago. The story opens with Catalina's tragic car accident. Move forward 4 years and we join Cat as she still is working through her grief over Blake's' loss. She is working as a reporter for Xsports magazine. Her biggest fear of course is anything with snow, so when she gets the call to have to take over on a press tour for Olympic snowboarder Jackson Reese, she is not thrilled at all. Stryder Martynus is Jackson's Best friend and literally like an older brother to him. He gets the call from Jax asking can he be the photographer on the press tour cause Xsports needs one for their reporter. Sure and the next morning on the plan a raven haired beauty sits next to him he is taking in by her beauty and something else. Cat running late finally boards her plane and gets a seat next to a HOT guy with a great smile. After a plane ride, SUV ride and finally checking in low and behold yep!! Their working together. Cat finally meets Jackson and they just click and their friendship blooms. Cat & Stryder feel a connection, chemistry that neither can explain to each other. Both, have a lot of baggage to sort through and if it's up to their friend Jackson Reese they will see that they are perfect for each other. In this beautifully woven story we are taken in by the story of Jackson & Cat's friendship that is a starting point for them both to heal from demons chasing them. We also get the story of Cat & Stryder learning that they can love again. to find out how this all happens, how love can come out of tragedy. Read Chasing Reese !!IT IS A MUST HAVE BOOK !!!!! I stand up and give Imy Santiago a round of applause for the incredible tale she has told in Chasing Reese. I can not wait for book 2 Finding Reese.
Profile Image for Dennis Cardiff.
Author 4 books499 followers
January 28, 2015
Captivating, engrossing, fascinating, enthralling are words that describe my experience of reading Chasing Reese, by Imy Santiago. The heroine, Catalina, or Cat, Pardo is complex. All the people she has loved have died, leaving her with the commitment that she will never love again. She avoids social engagements, but is no wallflower — a reporter who can hold her own against anybody and “swears like a sailor”. This is the street language that I understand. She wears red Doc Martens and clothing emblazoned with skulls.

Cat, is a real woman, thirty-two years of age, who sees herself as being overweight and unattractive. On assignment, to cover the World Snowboarding Championships, she meets Stryder, a renowned photographer, who falls in love with her. Gradually, he wears away her emotional barriers. The erotic tension between these two is like a guitar string being tuned tighter and tighter.

Imy Santiago’s writing is flawless and reads effortlessly with no spelling or grammatical errors to interrupt the reading process. Characters are well developed and the plot line addictive. She has become one of my favorite authors. I look forward to reading the sequel to this book, Finding Reese.
Profile Image for Katja.
377 reviews
January 5, 2015
4-4.5 stars. First I wanna say that I wanna go to snowboarding after reading this book. This was very good and I really enjoyed this one. Cat was great and I fell in love with Jackson but I liked also Stryder. I liked how Stryder and Cat met and that they didn't know who the other is. Can't wait for next book. :)

*ARC for honest review*
Profile Image for Nerdy Chic.
458 reviews61 followers
January 3, 2015
Ever read a book that you did not want to stop reading? One that, you wanted to finish because you needed to know what happens but wanted to slow down and savor because you didn't want it to end? Chasing Reese was that story for me. Imy Santiago's debut book touched me deeply. The author has such a way with words, I actually couldn't believe it was her debut book.

"This woman, with her curves and sass, insecurities and bravado, intrigues me. The more I know her, the more I want her."

Catalina Pardo is a woman who has gone through an intense tragedy of losing the love of her life and their unborn child in an accident caused by ice on the road. For four years she's closed herself off to the possibility of love and moving on. All that changes when she's forced to face her fears while on assignment to interview a Olympic snowboarding gold medalist and daredevil, Jackson Reese. She had no way of knowing that a chance meeting on a plane with an enigmatic stranger would change her world.

Stryder Martynus, a sexy and talented sports photographer stopped letting women getting too close to him after his fiancée burns him. All that changes when a sexy raven haired stranger falls asleep on his shoulder. He's intrigued by her beauty and spirit and sparks fly between the two almost immediately. He is a guy who knows what he wants and he doesn't want to let Cat get away.

"As long as I live, I will strive for Catalina's happiness, no matter where this road takes us. She told me she wouldn't take me down a road I could not follow. But I love Catalina's, and I'm chasing after her."

Neither suspect how closely they would have to work together and how their attraction would continue to grow.

"Sometimes you find things you aren't looking for in the most inexplicable of places. Sometimes those things have the power to deliver change, to make you feel the happiest you have felt in your entire life. And that is precisely what Catalina Pardo has done to me."

They've both come to Canada to cover Jackson's snowboarding feats and get the background story as to his crazy stunt at the Olympics. Stryder is Jackson's best friend and the three form a bound of friendship and love that had me loving this story. Jackson, a troubled soul who struggles with alcoholism and Catalina, who's intense fear of the snow cripples her, lean on one another and open up to their fears. These two are thick as thieves and become like brother and sister. I loved that Jackson was a sweetheart and their was more to him than a cocky guy who knows he's the best at what he does. He pushes Cat to face her fears and turns her fear into a love of snowboarding as well.

The friendship between the three main characters had me laughing and smiling to the end. Cat is a sassy Latina, littered with fears. Her emotions yo yo at times but they were warranted. She feels herself falling for Stryder but fears losing another piece of her soul if she gets too close and loses him. Stryder is wary of falling in love, having already been burned by his ex fiancée but he can't stay away from Cat. And Jackson, sweet Jackson. Who's raunchy words hide a sweetness of a kid trying to hide his own demons. I loved Jackson so much and I can't wait for his story. The story does end with a cliff hanger but gives us a glimpse into the next book that wetted my appetite and left me desperate for more. The author has a fantastic debut on her hands and I can not wait to see more from her.
Profile Image for Imy Santiago.
Author 11 books357 followers
Read
July 8, 2015
"I don’t have the time, need, or care for anything beyond that. That includes men and relationships. I. Am. Not. Ready! No matter how often you try to tell me this or that about my life, you’re not telling me something I don’t already know!” -Catalina Pardo in chasing Reese.

It would sound a bit unusual for me to write a review on my own novel, but the truth is, as a writer, you have to pride yourself in your work because if you don't believe in it, who will, right?

Why did I write this story? <-- A question I get a lot. I wrote chasing Reese. because I wanted to portray different aspects of love, not only passionate but the kind of love that grows with friendships. I wanted to address many issues that we face in our lives and while fairy tale love exists, it isn't always found easily and effortlessly as we have been led to believe.

Why should you read this book? I think it is somewhat different from your average romance novel. Well, I will break you down and build right back up. It is my hope that you experience a variety of emotions, and I will take you on a journey of introspection and discovery. Hopefully, in the end, you will find adventure and healing.

"Reporters seldom understand me, what I do. All they do is dissect my fuck-ups and run with them on the evening news. At the end of the day, they don’t know me, they don’t know my story. They don’t have a fucking clue what it takes to tackle a mountain and curtail exhilaration and fear in the same breath.” -Jackson Reese in chasing Reese.

chasing Reese. also discusses the effects of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and how we must confront grief in order to find true love. There is a bit of everything in this 108K word novel. From confronting your fears to finding adventure. I set the bar rather high while writing this novel utilizing multiple points of view in first present tense. I know this is not the standard norm in novel writing, particularly in Romance novels... But it was the only way I could effectively narrate the story.

"Jackson Reese has been in my life since he was born, and even though we don’t share the same DNA, that doesn’t matter because blood doesn’t define family. I’ve seen blood relatives treat each other like shit, bad seed and greed getting the best of them, and let me tell you, miserable people like that don’t deserve to be called family. Family is anyone who respects you, cherishes you. Family is those who love you unconditionally and support you no matter what. That is precisely what Jackson Reese is to me." Stryder Martynus in chasing Reese.

Did I mention this is my debut novel? I don't pretend to know it all right off the bat. I can only strive to grow with each passing novel. Thank you for taking a chance on my book. I hope to hear your thoughts and eagerly await to read your reviews.

Love you madly,

-i
Profile Image for Amazeballs Book Addicts.
2,770 reviews239 followers
January 4, 2015

OMG, I loved this story. When I started reading it, it starts with an emotional scene that had me little teary eyed. We start with Catalina's POV, then we get Stryder's POV. At first I was little confused because Stryder wasn't Reese and I was confused on how the three would all play into together. This story does not have a love triangle.

Reese is a professional snowboarder and is doing some damage control with the media. Catalina is a sport writer because of tragedy she doesn't do well in the snow. After the team who was suppose cover Reese press conference have to back out, Catalina gets called into cover it. Stryder is a photographer and he goes to cover the conference. He is also good friends with Reese.

Catalina and Stryder hit it off pretty quickly but at the time either one knows that they are going to be working together. They have this perfectly awkward moment when they find out.

Catalina has had some pretty rough stuff happen to her, she has come out on the other side a little shattered. She hates the snow but with a little help from Reese and Stryder that might change. Stryder has gone through some tough times too. I loved Reese is a great friend to both Catalina and Stryder. He is a carefree and fun loving guy. He is the balance that Catalina need in her life.

I started the story going OMG and I ended it going OMG. The ending is a crazy cliffhanger. I hope everything turns out ok for all of the characters. I can't wait to read the next one finding Reese.

A copy was received for a review.
Profile Image for Lucii Dixon.
1,089 reviews47 followers
December 28, 2014
*ARC received in exchange for honest review *

Catalina Pardo is a journalist working for xsports magazine and has been assigned to a case that includes lots of snow. she has a major fear of snow due to past circumstances that immenently broke her. She has go on a press tour for a Olympic gold medalist, Jackson Reese and is paired with a world renowned photographer. she never thought she would find love again but will this work out? or will it just be a fluke.

I did enjoy this book, though I found it to be particularly long winded in some parts, I still liked it. I guessed the ending before it really ended which made me sigh, but didn't dampened my thoughts for the general storyline. It was different and refreshing. I found Catalina's attitude and hissy fits somewhat irritating and unwarranted in places, also. but I do highly recommend this book.

This book is aimed at mature audiences of 18+ with sexual content.

reviewed on behalf of Book-lover book blog.
Profile Image for Lisa.
473 reviews3 followers
January 12, 2015
This is a twist on romance story.

Jackson Reese is a professional snowboarder. He is also an Olympic Gold Medalist. He just happened to have a lapse in judgement one night and made a horrible mistake. Now he has to try and get his reputation better from it.

Styder Martynus is an award winning photojournalist who is also best friends with with Reese. They have been best friends since a very young age. He is also Reese's personal photographer. He goes on tour with Reese when he is asked.

Catalina Pardo is a sports journalist for XSports. She mainly covers the warmer climate sports. She had a tragedy happen that made her fear snow. That is until one twist of fate forces her to face her fear.

Cat was suppose to be on vacation for three months. She had that much time accrued. The journalist and photojournalist that were suppose to cover Reese and his press tour to recover his imagine had to back out. Cat was the only one available. She was spending time with her best friend and her family when she got the call. It just so happened that is was also her ex-fiance family. She barely makes the flight to Whistler. She falls a sleep on a strangers shoulder. She has a panic attack while riding with this stranger to the lodge. She just doesn't realize she will be working with this stranger until later.

Styder and Cat don't hit things off right at first. She has this fear and the memory of a tragedy that is stuck in her head. But when Reese and her meet something clicks for the both of them that makes thins between them feel at ease with each other. Styder gets jealous with how friendly they are being because he likes her to. She doesn't know it. She has to be professional for her job.

When Reese cancels the press tour but wants to try and keep Cat on tour with him, Reese pulls strings to make that happen. He also keeps Styder on tour with him because things between him and Cat are going places. When Reese is out with friends after the tour has ended tragedy strikes again. Will Cat be able to a handle it? What happens between her and Styder?

I would recommend this to my friends.

~Lisa Book Nuts
Profile Image for Catarina Swartz.
215 reviews1 follower
January 7, 2015
Imy Santiago has written a beautiful book which really contains two stories that intwine with each other, the first being about Jackson Reese An Olympic Snow boarder and the second being about Catalina Prado the journalist who has to interview him.

Jackson's story get really interesting and he finally concurs problems he has with Catalina's help and a deep friendship and bond is formed.

Catalina has had a hard time for the last for years and fears of loosening those she loved has stopped her from moving in on and forming a new relationship, that is until she meet Stryder Martynus who is a photographer she has to partner with, when she is assigned to interview Jackson. Stryder, is also Jacksons long time friend and he is his personnel photographer.

This is a true love story, a story of second chance love, a story of healing and the realisation that fate can play apart you your life, in what is meant to be. Jackson help the two lover and the bond of friendship that forms between the three of them is just as wonderful as the love story.

When I first started this book I never imagined these bonds forming but towards the end you feel for all three of these leading characters, each have been hurt in the past and each are trying to move forward and become better people. All three need each other for support and encouragement.

I loved the story line and can't wait to read the second book when's it is released, Finding Reese. I commend Imy Santiago for her imagination. The chemistry between Stryder and Catalina is magic and you know they are meant to be together. The events that bring these two together is called fate.

I gave this book 5 stars and wait patiently for book 2 so I can continue on this journey, and hope that all ends well.
Profile Image for Claire.
186 reviews12 followers
January 5, 2015
I can honestly say that I did not know what to expect when I started this book, but if I did have any expectations they were all completely blown away by the time I had finished.

I won't go into a revamp of the plot. I'm sure other reviewers will and I don't think it's necessary.

The characters were well rounded and beautifully written. I fell in love with all of them. I adored Catalina's sassy swearing self, her insecurities and her inner goodness. My heart broke for her and I was rooting for her from the beginning. I especially liked that she wasn't model perfect and had the same insecurities we all have about our bodies. I instantly connected with her.

Jackson was brilliant. The brash joker with no cares in the world it would seem but underneath just as vulnerable and afraid as the rest of us. I loved him and wanted to give him a huge hug.

I adored Stryder. He was warm and caring and a true gentleman but also had his own skeletons to deal with.

I thoroughly enjoyed this from start to finish and was sorry it ended. The writing was very good. It flowed with an almost musical quality that I loved.

This is a story of love and loss, trust and friendship but above all hope. Basically it's a story about life and I loved every minute of it. I cannot believe that this is a debut novel. Imy Santiago has a real talent and I really look forward to reading more of her books. This is why I am always willing to try new or unheard of authors. Every now and then a true gem comes along and this is one of them.

I would definitely recommend this book to all. An easy 5 stars from me :)
Profile Image for Lisa.
2,057 reviews13 followers
January 6, 2015
Sometimes people come into our lives at just the right moment and make a huge difference in our lives. This is certainly the case for Catalina, Stryder and Jackson. Each of them are battling their own demons but together they can find their way back to the light through love and friendship.

Catalina is a sports journalist sent to cover Jackson Reese, a champion snowboarder. When she keeps being thrown into Stryder's path, it seems that fate is sending her a nudge. Stryder is an award winning photographer and is paired up with Catalina to cover Jackson Reese but he is also Jackson's best friend. Fate is speaking loud and clear.

Catalina's story is one of true sadness, having loved and lost. She is struggling to rebuild her life and live again. When Stryder comes across her path, he brings with him the possibility of living fully again. Stryder has loved and lost in a different way and coped in a different way. With Catalina he sees a future and his gentleness and caring nature, along with his ability to read Catalina and ease her fears, are a winning combination.

Throw in a best friend in need of healing and a lot of support, and a friendship with Catalina offers him that. Together they can help heal each other. In Catalina he sees himself.

This is a beautifully written story of love and friendship set against a wintry backdrop. This is a story that had me crying and laughing in equal measure. The sadness that comes from all three characters is strong but together they can offer each other a way to heal. A really emotional an heart warming story. I am ready for the next instalment already!
Profile Image for Chantel.
289 reviews4 followers
January 12, 2015
Imy’s debut book is a tear jerker. So, many feels! Have Spotify up and follow her play list because it moves you as it gets listed in the book. This book for me has been an eye opener. When you read the description it’s almost like you’ve read it before. An angst book with a love story but it’s not. The descriptions will pull you and make you fall in love with not just one character but three. I read this story in one sitting. I didn’t want to put it down. I get to the last couple pages and my eyes are leaking from all the emotions from what the characters are feeling. The funny thing it has everything I hate in today’s books insta love and heart breaking ending but I still love it. <- Don’t let that comment sway you away because this is a must read!

Catalina Pardo has gone through a bunch of broken hearts and turns to the daily grind of work to ignore everything in her life because it’s the only thing that makes sense. She’s a sport writer for a top magazine. Right when she’s about to get me time her boss asks for a favor.

Stryder Martynus is the hot award winning sports photographer that has gone through life in love with his childhood best friend and partner. Till he comes home from a long assignment.

Jackson Reese is the sexy Olympian that has a problem that’s wrecking him.
Three people that come together for a lifetime story for an article and come out as different people.
I hope you enjoy this story as much as I did.
**Full review and release can be found on Smuttybookfriends.com**
Profile Image for Sarah.
455 reviews
January 12, 2015
Wow!! I honestly cannot believe this is Imy's debut book. It had me hooked from start to finish. The story completely captured me, the characters were all brilliantly written and I completely grew to love them all!
Catalina's life was perfect until one fateful accident and she loses everything she has ever known. She then puts everything into her work, not delving into any form of intimate relationships for the next 4 years.
In walks Stryder, a hot, famous sport's photographer. He himself has been hurt and now just goes with casual one night stands. That is until he meets Cat....
Then there is Jackson Reese, the famous snow boarding champion, also with his own demons to face and best friends with Stryder.
These three together immediately connect, Stryder falls for Cat instantly as does she, although is afraid to admit it. Jackson and Cat immediately form a very strong friendship as Stryder's and Cat's relationship becomes more intimate.
I loved the whole story, the depth to the characters. Reading the different pov's I loved, giving their individual thoughts and feelings really made the reader understand what was going on in their heads.
The humour in it was fantastic, the sexual scenes HOT and with a lot of emotion too....especially the first few chapters!
I wasn't expecting the slight cliffhanger at the end so I really can't wait for the sequel! Highly recommend this book...congrats Imy on such a great debut book!!
Profile Image for Chicks Looking For A Book Fix.
182 reviews24 followers
January 8, 2015
4.5 Stars

Right from the beginning this book just rips your heart out, even without really knowing the characters yet. It’s just one of those scenes that will bring tears to your eyes.

chasing Reese. is an amazing debut novel. The book is descriptive, but not in the sense that it is too much. As I read I could picture everything perfectly in my mind. The writing just flows beautifully and you will not want to put it down. As far as female characters go Catalina was sweet and sassy, I liked her a lot. The only thing I really struggled with while reading was who I liked better, Stryder or Jackson but after finishing I’ve decided I love them both equally. The guys are polar opposites, Stryder is fun, serious and sweet, while Jackson is wild and spontaneous. These two flip Catalina’s world upside down in the best possible way.

There was a few places in the book that I thought could possibly go another way but it didn’t and I’m glad. The ending...oh man I didn’t see that coming and I’m in desperate need of knowing what happens next. Even though I consider this a sweet read there is plenty of spice as well.

One of my favorite quotes from the book...”You smell amazing, Catalina. I fantasize exploring your wetness with my tongue, tasting, sucking, flicking, and fucking it, taking you over the edge and then some. And when I’ve had my fill of your wetness…that will be my ultimate reward.”
Profile Image for Ginelle Blanch.
811 reviews23 followers
August 7, 2020
If I could give this book 10 stars I would! I won a signed copy of this book from a book blog on fb. I had never heard of the author before and, this is her very first book.

I am SO impressed with the writing, voice, and style of this book. You'd never know that this was a first book for the author. It's amazing, fast paced, and heartfelt.

The story is about living life, not simply existing in life. It's about picking up the pieces after tragedy occurs. It's about learning to love again. It's about friendship and hope.

While Catalina Pardo is a strong woman, she is also quite broken. Tragedy has taken much from her in life so, she's learned to guard the very heart of herself. Never letting herself feel, or truly live.

Stryder Martynus has had some unfortunate relationships that have caused him to hold back the very best parts of himself.

Jackson Reese...he lives life and he lives it LOUD. Upbeat and in your face. He's a no bull kind of guy but, even he has his demons. He and Stryder are best friends from way back. But, add Catalina into the mix and you have yourselves a dynamic "trifecta". They bring out the very best parts of each other. Strong friendships are formed and lasting diamond hard love comes to the surface.

I just cannot even begin to say how much I loved this book. So emotional, so fun and heartbreaking. Such a great read, truly. I will be thinking about this book for a while. I'm glad that I gave it a chance! Simply wonderful.
Profile Image for Le Ann Foster.
739 reviews5 followers
February 3, 2015
***I recieved a copy of this book from the author for a honest review***

***Book reviewer for Book Fancy Blog***

Where do I start with this book. From the beginning I cried, at the end I cried and even laughed in between. This book is not a ugly cry by any means. The book is written so well that Imy captures you immediately. I loved how the story flowed., it wasn't your typical boy meets girl and fall in love. This book they both had to work at it, giving it the realistic feel.

The book starts 4 years ago with the love story of Catalina and Blake. Then tragedy strikes. 4 years later Catalina is trying to move on. While she is on vacation she gets the call that she has to go chase Reese.

Jackson Reese is a Hot world champion snowboarder who has a secret all of his own. His best friend and World re known photographer Stryder is just as Hot and is afraid to love again.

Stryder and Catalina has several chance meetings. Then they find out they will be working together. They try to keep things professional but Stryder and Catalina has this pull to each other.

What will Catalina and Stryder do? Will they keep it professional or take a risk on love?And where does Jackson fit in all of this?

Imy for a debut novel you knocked it out of the park!! I was so caught up in it I never seen the ending coming. I really didn't want it to end. Can't wait to read Finding Reese.
Profile Image for Erica.
1,312 reviews33 followers
January 4, 2015
5 Stars
Absolutely amazing debut!!

To say I underestimated this author would be accurate, but to be honest I don't go into a debut novel expecting to be blown away, in my experience most debut novels are either soon to be great authors getting their feet under them or a complete disappointment.

Not the case with Imy Santiago.

Chasing Reese is perfection.
I fell in love within a few pages and was hooked, I could not put the book down and didn't stop (other than to cater to my kiddos) until the very end.
Santiago has given us a well written story that grabs your attention pulling you into the story and not letting to until the last word on the veru last page.
I cried for Cat, laughed at Jax and fell in love with Stryder.
The relationship between these three characters is beautiful. Their meeting bringing not two but three people together who all need someone to listen and are the equivalent of soul mates. The interaction between them and watching their relationships grow was just amazing, I know I used the word already but it's true. Chasing Reese left me crying and begging for book two.

I'm a fan and I think I knew I would be from the first couple of chapters, I can't wait for book two, I need to know where Jax is!!
56 reviews4 followers
January 5, 2015
I have to say I fell in love with this book! The story takes you to the Catalina Pardo’s life and you feel the emotions and man did I feel for her. Catalina is a very strong character I fell in love with her. I was so caught up in her world and I cried with some of her story!!! I have to say the author will make you feel for this character and you feel the rawness. Catalina is supposed to be on vacation and gets pulled away to report on a story she does not normally set off to do. She meets a hunk of a man that makes you want to drool all over the pages and wish he would pop out. Stryder Martynus is a sexy and hot photographer, she has no clue they partnered her with him and she soon finds out. The person she is assigned to write on is Jackson Reese and man the book holds some wonderful surprises. I was so enthralled with this story and it will stick with you and in a good way. Its hot and sexy and an all around awesome book! If I could give 6 stars I would, you have got to grab this book!!!!
Profile Image for Lola Karns.
Author 8 books33 followers
January 7, 2015
Debut author Imy Santiago is one to watch. Chasing Reese, billed as a New Adult is a terrific tale of friendship, love, overcoming the past and embracing the future. First off - I am jealous of Imy Santiago's skill at writing snappy dialogue. Profane, yes, but often hilarious and true. I think the profanity made this a hard sell as women's fiction and the hot sex pushed it out of the general fiction category, but I hope this book will find an audience. The depiction of friendship is top notch and I love the idea that we can choose who we consider family. Cat is a great heroine and a latina character blissfully free of stereotypes.

The editing is solid, and a refreshing change from some slap-dash print jobs. I do hope the second book in the Safelight series comes out soon because - warning - this book ends on quite the cliffhanger.
10 reviews3 followers
January 5, 2015
This book was so good! I did not want it to end. I am still thinking about the characters and want the next book now. This leaves you with a cliffhanger, so be prepared!!

I laughed, I cried while reading this book.

Catalina (Cat) does not have it easy, she has been through alot, just when her boss makes her take vacation time, its taken away and she is sent to cover a story in Canada about super star snowboader Jackson Reese. Cat fears and hates snow, everything about it, due to tragic loss of losing loved ones. Can she over come her fear/hatred of snow and enjoy herself.

Stryder is Jax's personal photogragher and he gets paired up with Cat for this assignment by Jax, Chemistry arises between Stryder and Cat, but both have issues letting go of the past? Can they do it, or will the past keep them apart.

Get this book! 5 Stars
Profile Image for Sarah Hooks & Books.
269 reviews4 followers
January 3, 2015
***Arc copy given in exchange for an honest review***

WOW!! I had no idea what to expect from this book. Holy hell debut novel!!! Imy blew me away! The emotions, the characters...damn I just loved it!! So many feels at the beginning of the book...I was smiling & in tears. Shattered hearts trying to piece themselves back together. Stryder...Jackson....Cat...loved them all. Cat cracked me up with her sailor mouth and sassy personality! "Um, if sitting inside a metal coffin with a rotor going up a tall peak covered in snow qualifies as being okay, then I am fine, damn, motherfucking skippy!"
What a wonderful story and damn if Imy doesn't leave you hanging wanting more!!! Can't wait to read more from this awesome author!
Profile Image for Jane Hunt.
Author 3 books101 followers
chasing Reese. (SAFELIGHT, #1) by Imy Santiago

Jane Hunt Writer First Steps

Jane Hunt Writer Book Reviews Facebook

Jane Hunt Writer Book Reviews Google+

'Chasing Reese' is an engaging mix of realistic contemporary dialogue and vivid poignant description; you experience every emotion as the story unfolds. The pacing is gentle which is unusual for this type of story but it works. It's like watching real life. There's a slow burn of passion and some repetition as different characters interact and learn what's happening but it gives the story a uniqueness and honesty, which is absorbing and refreshing.

Orphaned and beset by tragedy, Catalina avoids becoming a clichéd character through her emotional strength and inherent sweet nature. She isn't afraid to hold onto to those who love her even though they remind her of her painful loss. There is nice first meeting between Stryder and Catalina, dramatically ironic because she doesn't find out about it until much later. I loved Cat's grounded personality, she has a runaway mouth but it makes her real and imaginable. There is a sensitively written panic attack scene in the SUV in the blizzard, which underlines the story's poignant realism.

Focusing on the contemporary obsession with addiction, celebrity and invasive journalism 'chasing Reese shows how Jackson is affected by it all. It's not the love triangle you imagine. Cat and Jax bond from their first meeting. His flirty behaviour is never a threat to Cat and they become confidantes. Her reactions to ace photographer Stryder threaten her tenuous link with lost love Blake. Stryder makes her feel alive and needy in a purely feminine way, something she resists at all costs, she isn't ready.

I like the intimate style of 'chasing Reese', sharing of this story from Cat's, Stryder's and Jax's points of view. It's like being a fly on the wall, with a sixth sense. You not only see, hear and feel the action but know how it makes them feel too.
Hot romance with an inherent sweetness, enhanced with deliciously, vivid sensuality, gives it a fairytale quality, a perfect contrast to the human fragility the story uncovers.

The shocking impact of the final scenes makes you want to find out what happens next.

Imy Santiago
Profile Image for Alannah Carbonneau.
Author 41 books267 followers
December 30, 2014
5 SHIMMERING STARS IMY SANTIAGO!

This was a sweet, sexy, heart breaking, and heart building love story! And, I loved every moment of it!

This is the story of Catalina Pardo and Stryder Martynus, and their journey of finding and holding onto love even though their pasts have left them damaged and untrusting of the bittersweet emotion.

When I first opened Chasing Reese, I was faced with a terrible accident that literally pulled at my heartstrings and made my throat feel all confined and my hands feel clammy and - well, crap, it was sad! Catalina had it all. She had a loving fiancé, a wedding on the horizon and a baby on the way (she also had the most dreamy in laws ever!) But what happens, will literally take your breath away sharply and leave you with an ache in your chest…and this is my favourite kind of novel…the kind that leaves you feeling in the deepest pits of your heart.

Catalina is an interesting heroine! At first, I was surprised to find, that although she's not the typical h I connect with, I REALLY liked her! And, I connected with her!! She was strong, but she allowed her weaknesses in. She was feisty, but she wasn't insolent. She was cute, and she needed Stryder.

Enter Stryder…um…yum!

"My thoughts are conflicted, physiology clashing with morality in a never ending battle. My body wants Catalina, but I know it's not right to take advantage of this moment. I'm not a child who acts on impulse. I'm a guy, but I'm also a man. I want to be the man for Catalina Pardo. She deserves no less." - Stryder -

Stryder is wonderful and after meeting Catalina in a most unexpected way, their paths cross a second time…and then they just keep on crossing! There is an instant connection between Stryder and Catalina, and although the sexual tension isn't lacking, they take their relationship slow…but it's hot as hell when they finally get together!! Oh my goodness, and these two characters are funny as hell!

I loved how we got to see clips of Stryder's and Jackson's thoughts throughout the novel, rather than just reading about Cat's thoughts. When I went into this novel, I expected more of Jackson's love affair, but I guess we are getting that in the next novel…and with that ending…well, I really can't wait for the next novel!

I'm so happy to say I was given an ARC of this novel by the Author for an honest review and I am so excited to announce that I loved it and will eagerly be awaiting the next novel in the SAFELIGHT series!

Wonderful debut Imy Santiago! You had me wanting to pull my skis out and drive to Whistler BC!!

Displaying 1 - 30 of 79 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.