Start by marking “Prophecy (Calypso, #1)” as Want to Read:
Prophecy (Calypso, #1)

Prophecy

(Calypso #1)

On the other side of death, is destiny.

Callie Ingram is spending her senior year focused on one thing: swimming. Her skill as a competitive swimmer is going to secure a scholarship and her future, or so she hopes. She has big plans, and Liam Hale, her gorgeous new neighbor, isn’t going to affect them. But when Callie sees Liam beheading someone, she learns his family has a
Published October 6th 2014 by Lyrical Press / Kensington

Start your review of Prophecy (Calypso, #1)
Jacob Proffitt
This very nearly hit the DNF brick wall. The major problem is in the worldbuilding—a jumbled hodgepodge with little rhyme or reason. The central feature of the mythology is "Vikings", though not in any recognizable form. Here, the Vikings are supposedly all demigods, descendants of blah blah blah. I'm boring myself trying to relate it here.

The problem with the blah blah isn't so much that it's all weirdness. There are a lot of myths to chose from in our past so you can probably justify
Mary
Mary's Netgalley Catch-Up: 6 of 80

I don't know if you guys know this about me but here it is. I hate alpha males. Just straight up, absolutely hate them. This is why I don't read too many romances. This is why I haven't read Darkfever, despite 90% of my friends loving it.

I hate alpha males.

You know what else I hate? I hate love triangles, instalove, the idea of virginity, and the idea of friend-zoning.

Let's just say, I hate a lot of things. I'm a hateful person, I guess, but I don't feel bad
Michelle
Oct 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**You can see this full review and more at Book Briefs: http://bookbriefs.net**

Oh how I needed to read Prophecy. I haven't given a book 5 star in so long. I have read some meh books and a lot of good books. But there is a difference between a good book, or even a great book and a book that just warms you up from the inside out. One that you want to hug and start reading from the beginning again. That was Prophecy for me. I LOVED this book! I was excited when I read the summary and saw that it
Olivia-Savannah  Roach
This review can originally be found on Olivia's Catastrophe: http://olivia-savannah.blogspot.nl/20...

*Thank you to the author for the review copy*

This was a pretty good read, and one that was hard to rate. It was pretty good, but it wasn’t amazing, but it wasn’t horrible either. It was a quick read that I enjoyed, with an interesting plot and a romance story that kept me turning pages. This is a paranormal romance, and the paranormal aspect of things was done very well.

We have the main character
Beth
Prophecy was an outstanding, new young adult read.

Callie's life makes a drastic change when new neighbors move into the spooky house next door. The Hale house has had a cursed stigma for years. With their return, strange things begin to happen...but the strangest thing is only Callie can remember it.

Caught in the middle of a Norse Armageddon, no one is quite sure what or who Callie really is, especially the Hales.

Budding romantic interest, ancient gods and demi-gods, a battle of good and evil,
Michael (Mai)
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
First things first. I will read book two. Take my money! If you sent it to me today I would blow off work tomorrow and read through the night. It was so good.

Here are some things I loved about the book:

1. It was like the author read Parajukee’s Ten Ways a Romance…Becomes A Bad Romance. If you haven’t read this article, you should, then you’ll notice that it was like Julie Anne read it and did the exact opposite of everything.

There was partial insta-romance but it was a lot more developed than
Rivalie
Oct 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5 out of 5 stars

I received a copy for a book tour. All thoughts are my own :)

Prophecy follows a girl named Callie Ingram who has plans to get out of her small town and get a life. She needs to get out. That is, until Liam Hale walks into the picture. He's gorgeous, brooding, and lives in the Haunted Hale Manor. Then, things start happening and she finds out that Liam and his brothers are Vikings, Norse demigods who have come to her small town to find the chosen one to lead the Vikings to
Lorna
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, good-ya
I wasn’t sure what I was going to get when I requested this from Net Galley, but ended up being pleasantly surprised. It may take place during the main characters senior year in high school, but it wasn’t a YA read, more like at least 16 plus, if not older.

Callie is an eighteen year old small town girl. She goes to high school, is almost an Olympic class swimmer, and works at a deli. When a family moves into the alledged haunted house next door, the entire town is excited. Callie, and her friend
The Gypsy Emmy
More like 3.5 Stars, but whatever. Semantics.

Okay friends, just bear with me the best you can during this review. It's most definitely going to be a hot mess.

So, I definitely hated this book... Until I didn't. It was really freaking predictable and boring and had stupid romance crap.... until it didn't. It was so very young young adult... until it wasn't.

Make sense?

No, I didn't think so either. Hence the self titled 'hot mess' review. Let me try to explain.

The writing wasn't anything extra
Sanne Heremans
Oct 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, mythical
***ARC provided in exchange for an honest review - Sanne ~ Scandalous Book Blog***

Before starting I was a bit hesitant because of the reviews but I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised after finishing this book.

There are a lot of books out there about this topic but our demi-gods in this story are vikings and you'll also see nymphs pas through ;-)I don't really see the relation between vikings and gods like Zeus, Hermes,... but why the hell not, it is just a book after all!

Callie looks
Farrah
Oct 10, 2014 rated it liked it
An interesting mix of mythologies, Prophecy was a great YA read. It had a few issues but, for the most part, I liked it and enjoyed it.

Both Callie and Liam were good characters. Callie was clever and smart about the dangers she found herself in. Liam was a sweetie and very protective of those he cared about. Neither were particularly memorable but they were likable.

The romance was sweet, though rushed. I wish there had been more depth to it, but I did think they were a good couple.

My big issue
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Kensington Books and NetGalley.)

I really did not like this book at all.

I didn’t really like the characters, they came across as hasty and immature, and I just couldn’t like them. The things they said annoyed me, and they just generally irritated me.

The storyline in this also bugged me. It seemed less than believable, and Vikings? Oh, no thank you!
There was romance, which seemed to be turning into a love
Bri
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
What I liked: I liked the different approach with demigods, they were interesting. The clans aspect of the demigods and their claim to the Viking heritage was something I hadn’t seen before. Also, the allusion to Greek mythology because of Nike and her three brothers with the Norse twist, I found that pretty cool. The romance aspect of the story I didn’t always agree with (I rooted for a different character), but I did like the romance to it. High school, you can’t avoid romance or drama. There’ ...more
Rebecca Edwards
Oct 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I Received A Complimentary Copy Of This Book From The Author/Publisher In Exchange For My Honest Review!

This is the first viking book I've read in many years and in the past I wasn't a fan of them. Maybe that had something to do with the genre I don't know but this viking book I found myself actually enjoying.

I was drawn in by Liam from the beginning but then again I like the mysterious bad boy keep your distance persona. As the story progresses Liam continues to hold my attention and I start to
Arkham Reviews
***Reviewed as part of release event for this novel hosted by Tasty Book Tours. To read the full review of this novel, please visit my blog on 06 October 2014***

I felt that this novel actually formed an strong starting point for this series but was let down by a couple of things. My primary issue with the story was that the first half was incredibly slow. The paranormal elements did not appear until halfway through the story and up until then the story was a pretty standard teen romance which
Miriam
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
This unusual YA paranormal thriller features Vikings, Norse and Greek gods, and a fight for dominance of the world. Full of teenage angst and drama, the story morphs into a quest for humans who are really immortal Viking warriors. Lindsey weaves a tale that enthralls the reader until the last word and leaves them begging for the next installment.
Chelsey
I was a bit disappointed in Prophecy. I was hoping for more mythology and less teenage romance/angst. Even the final battle was fairly anticlimactic. Regardless, it was a fun paranormal YA read. I'd recommend it for fans of the YA paranormal genre.

Review for netgalley.com
Tennille
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The only thing I don't like about Julie's books is that they make me stay up way too late reading because I just get sucked in! I didn't know anything about this storyline when I started reading and loved watching it unfold.
Aubry Martin
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Started it last night and finished this morning. Could not put it down. Intriguing collision of Norse and Greek mythology with a little YA romance thrown in for good measure. There were a few times I started to worry it was going to fall into the trap of a heroine who was strong, but only insofar as the even stronger hero who brings it out of her. Fortunately the characters were well written enough to coax me into love with them and they kept me going. In the end, I was NOT disappointed. Hear me ...more
Joanne
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: predictable
I finished it. Was it a page turner... No. Did I like the characters, sort of. Would I have cared it they all were killed... No. I usually like love triangles but this one was a bit frustrating. Justin gave up to easily. The plot moved slow and the majority of the book was educating us about who Liam was and eventually who Callie turned out to be. I miss my $3.99.
Gigi
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book. I want my very own Liam!!!
Beth Burkett
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book!!!!

It was a really good read. Once I started, I couldn't wait to find out what was going to happen next.
Angie
I received an ARC through NetGalley.

I really liked the premise of Prophecy, and the plot was pretty good once it got going. However, it is way too much like Twilight in the set up. I'm not saying that's a terrible thing, but it killed a lot of the uniqueness that it had going for it. Callie is just your normal, teenage girl until she meets the Hales. Liam, Oliver, and their parents have just moved into the haunted mansion next door, and there's a nonstop stream of rumors about why the family
Alexa Nichole Demers
Even as I am writing this review I can’t quite decide if I liked this book or if I really didn’t like it. There are many reasons that leave me left right in the middle. It’s not the writing or the flow of the story either. The writing was done well and the flow was perfect. I wasn’t skipping pages or paragraphs and I didn’t get bored. So the story has that going for it. It’s the story itself that I have a problem deciding.

One thing it had going for it was the mythology. I loved the way the
Diantha Jones
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT DJ'S BOOK CORNER

Any book that has mythology is going to snag my attention. This was no exception and I'm happy to say it wasn't a bad choice I made. Glad to have read it as it had an interesting premise that could really go somewhere in later books.

As for the first book, the first half dragged on pretty slow with no action or anything paranormal in the least. That was a bit disappointing for me as I was expecting an action packed book. What we get is sort of a teenage love
Tania Godwin-evans
I love sci-fi/fantasy books and anything to do with the ancient gods. This book, however, had them all which was a bit of a confusion, like the author was trying to get everything into just one book. That said the explanation provided as to how all these different beings can co-exist was imaginative.

I did like the female lead Calypso (what a name) and her relationship with Justin and Allison but I did not like how she was constantly in fear of her life. Also Calypso (what a name lol) was a bit
Jenny
Oct 09, 2014 rated it liked it
This is the first book i've read by Julie Anne Lindsey. I was lucky enough to meet her at a book festival, and she was super sweet in person and very funny. I just hadn't had the chance to pick up any of her books yet. So when her book Prophecy showed up on Netgalley, I was excited to give it a shot.

I honestly had a tough time rating this one for several reasons. The beginning of the book is pretty slow and honestly, brought to mind the first Twilight book. Not in a direct this was copied kind
Carrie
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: calibre-library, 2014
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

What a fabulously unique story! This book took everything I thought I knew about mythology and turned it on its head. It gives you a solid YA romance, lots of very original paranormals, and a lot of action. This is (hopefully) the start of an exciting new series.

Callie is a teenager, a swimmer, a girl who was cheated on by her football player ex-boyfriend, and completely obsessed with the new boy in school. Aside from all that, she’
Britt Marczak
I received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

Beyond adoring the author on twitter, this book initially caught my attention because Vikings YA. Hello. I was sold. I recently became very obsessed with the Vikings show on the History Channel, so I had all the excitement going into this.

It was less History Vikings, and more of a vibe like The Covenant. (Which, I suppose, is fitting. This is YA, after all.)

Unfortunately, it started off really slow, and was mostly just
Gaele
I think that I had hoped for different with this story: while the synopsis offered me a strong, determined and goal-driven heroine with the promise of some mythology and Vikings – what started as a slow and all too familiar teen romance triad just had me wondering if I would continue.

There is nothing wrong with a teen romance, although the three-way push-pulls of the romance had me frustrated. I wanted to see more of the mythology from the very beginning, Lindsey has a wonderful grasp of the

• Full Moon Rising (Riley Jenson Guardian #1)
  • The Forever Girl (Forever Girl, #1)
  • Come, the Dark: Cordovae's Journey (Forever Girl, #2)
  • A Killer Plot (A Books by the Bay Mystery, #1)
  • Night of the Wolves (Vampire Hunters, #1)
  • Bride of the Night (Vampire Hunters, #3)
  • Night of the Vampires (Vampire Hunters, #2)
  • Summoned to Thirteenth Grave (Charley Davidson, #13)
  • Enchanted, Inc. (Enchanted, Inc., #1)
  • Kissing Sin (Riley Jenson Guardian #2)
  • Once Upon Stilettos (Enchanted, Inc., #2)
  • Wicked Appetite (Lizzy & Diesel, #1)
  • Wicked Charms (Lizzy & Diesel, #3)
  • Wicked Business (Lizzy & Diesel, #2)
  • Brave the Tempest (Cassandra Palmer, #9)
  • Tempting Evil (Riley Jenson Guardian #3)
  • Much Ado About Magic (Enchanted, Inc., #5)
  • The Job (Fox and O'Hare, #3)
Julie Anne Lindsey is an award-winning and national bestselling author whose bookish heart was once torn between the love of her two favorite genres: toe-curling romance and chew-her-nails suspense. Now, she gets to write both, and she's loving every minute. She’s published more than thirty novels since her debut in 2013 and currently writes series as herself, as well as under multiple pen names, ...more

Calypso (2 books)