Start by marking “Organizing Your Family History Search: Efficient & Effective Ways to Gather and Protect Your Genealogical Research” as Want to Read:

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  96 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
As genealogists everywhere will testify, few hobbies generate more paper work than genealogy. This guide successfully tackles the process of organising family research, from filing piles of paper to streamlining the process as a whole.'
Published April 1st 1999 by Betterway Books

To ask other readers questions about Organizing Your Family History Search, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Organizing Your Family History Search

Knight
Feb 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: genealogy
This book has a lot of wonderful ideas about different ways to organize your genealogy stuff. And to organize your head about where you are going with your research and what you should do with it.

However, because the book was published in 1999, all of the computer related advice is out-of-date.

I would recommend this as one of several books for a beginner to read. And a few old-timers might find some useful hints.
Carole
May 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
I have read several books by Sharon DeBartolo Carmack, and I enjoy her sense of humor and her writing style. She is knowledgeable, but presents things in a very easy, conversational style. She says she doesn't use genealogy software, which I don't understand. Mine saves me tons of hours, but...to each their own.
Amanda
May 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is an older book, but the information in it is still stellar and timely. She goes into more detail than I thought went into genealogical research (I'm so lazy in comparison!) about how to do genealogy right. You learn exactly what the title says -- how to start from home and how to do research when you're out in the field.
Denise
Oct 08, 2010 rated it liked it
This book had some helpful ideas for organizing family history that I will add to my previous organization methods. The ones that helped me the most have to do with tracking my research more effectively. It also gave me food for thought in how to preserve and pass on what I've been doing for a couple of decades now.
Stephanie
May 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference, own
As someone who studied archival management I liked this book. It gave really good ideas as to organize your family history in an efficient manner without being confusing.
Elizabeth
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A good book for someone who, like myself, has been immersed in research and skimping on organizing the information found. In sensible, no-nonsense steps, Carmack makes organizing look easy.
Kevin Lewis
Feb 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: genealogy
I learned a more productie way to organize my original copies of documenst, and my digital files
Denni
Mar 24, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: organize
A few good ideas for organizing that I will use, but a little too detailed for my needs.
Good forms in the back for notetaking.
Megan
rated it did not like it
Aug 09, 2013
Jan 01, 2017
Paula
Mar 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: genealogy
Very good and informative book!
Lynda