Start by marking “Deceptive (Illusive, #2)” as Want to Read:
Deceptive (Illusive, #2)

Deceptive

(Illusive #2)

You don’t belong with us.

These are the words that echo through the minds of all immune Americans—those suffering the so-called adverse effects of an experimental vaccine, including perfect recall, body manipulation, telepathy, precognition, levitation, mind-control, and the ability to change one’s appearance at will.

When great numbers of immune individuals begin to disappe
Published July 14th 2015 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Deceptive, please sign up.
Emily Lloyd-Jones So far, there is only Illusive and Deceptive. (And an e-novella that will be coming out in June.) But if the series takes off, there could be more!
Hiabara It kind of does - Personally I would say the big story lines in this book had a conclusion, but at the same time there was the beginning of new story …moreIt kind of does - Personally I would say the big story lines in this book had a conclusion, but at the same time there was the beginning of new story lines at the end and some small details never got an answer, so it's obvious a third book was planned at some point, but apparently it'll never happen, unfortunately.(less)

Start your review of Deceptive (Illusive, #2)
Alyssa

Book Two of the Illusive series
Publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Publication Date: July 14, 2015
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

Don't miss this thrilling, high-stakes sequel to Illusive.

You don’t belong with us. These are the words that echo through the minds of all immune Americans—those suffering the so-called adverse effects of an experimental vaccine, including
Lindsay Cummings
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Literally amazing.

I was hooked by book one in this series, ILLUSIVE, and DECEPTIVE was a perfect follow-up. Talk about incredible story-telling, folks. I am so in love with Emily Lloyd-Jones' writing style. She writes like a movie, and her scenes are so perfectly plotted and laid out that it kind of makes me want to cry.

Book 2 is just as twisty and power-packed as book 1. We have another awesome mystery, lots of fun heist scenes, and to my great surprise, a little more romance than book 1.
Helena
Sep 19, 2014 marked it as to-read
OMG.
DAT COVER.
OMG.
I'm so pumped. I can't even. I'm so pumped.
~Tina~
Dec 23, 2014 rated it really liked it

After reading Illusive, I was instantly addicted by this explosive world and couldn't wait to get my hands on book two. Deceptive is just as crazy amazing as book one and even better then I expected.

Emily Lloyd-Jones is such a fantastic storyteller! I absolutely love the her writing style. It's fast paced, in your face and solid entertainment from the first page, on. I adore the concept of super-powered teens working with different government agents with a mystery that entwines them tog
Petra
Freaking amazing! I love everything about this series, except that it might be over now. Please, please, tell me there will be a third book?!
Cori Reed
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars
Chloe
Aug 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this! Just as action packed as the first one!!
Pie
Gia
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Brilliant!!

Couldn't put this down either! This was much more awesome! Adored the adventures, thrilling action and all Immunes' abilities!
Oh, the subtle romance was really nice ^-^

(view spoiler)
sjoo
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book actually surprised me in a good way. The writing was smooth, descriptions only helped to add to the imagery without being too wordy, and it had a fast pace. I usually don't like books with multiple points of view, but the author wrote in a way that made everything flow smoothly. I don't know if I was reading without much thinking, but there was a twist that actually caught me by surprise. Most often I can catch these before they are revealed, but this time I was caught off guard so goo ...more
Jocie
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really liked that this series had no clear good or bad guys, everyone was a little of both. I also really liked the switching point of views from Ciere, Daniel and Devon. Usually I'm not a big fan of chapters switching point of views and following a different character doing something else, but in these books I was honestly so intrigued with each main character and what they were doing that I loved it. I really enjoyed this series and had a lot of fun with it, but I do think the past between K ...more
Joanna
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
A rip roaring good time.
Shannon
I can’t think of a whole lot to say about this book, but I did really like it. There was just something very easy about the writing style and I loved this world that the author had created. As for the plot, it was a little disjointed at first. I kept wondering how what Ciere was doing connected with the woman that Daniel was hunting down and so on. Each character in the group was off doing their own jobs and missions and it wasn’t until the end where it all came together. Also, it was a bit weir ...more
Arianne (in uni)
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
WHAT WHAT WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

I SWEAR WHEN I READ THIS LIKE SIX MONTHS AGO OR MORE THE ILLUSIVE TITLE WAS JUST ILLUSIVE NOT ILLUSIVE (ILLUSIVE, #1)

AND NOW AS I WAS CONTEMPLATING HOW ILLUSIVE WAS A STANDALONE (BECAUSE I SWEAR, I DIDN'T SEE ANYONE LABEL THIS AS A SERIES!!) IT ACTUALLY HAS A SEQUEL.

SOMEONE. HOLD. ME.

EMILY LLOYD-JONES, THANK YOU SO MUCH OH MY GOD I CAN'T I'M SO HAPPY THE COVER IS EVEN MORE BEAUTIFUL THAN THE FIRST ONE AHHHHHHHHHHHH
Ashley
Love this soooo much! This series is awesome and so much fun. I love the world, I love the super powers, I love the non-stop action. This series is just a win. I want more books in this series. Please don't say this is the end, or I will cry. Underrated series that needs to be known about. Just so great.

Wendy
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, scify-fantasy
In the entertaining and thrilling second novel in the “Illusive” series, “Deceptive” Ciere Gilba and Alan Fiacre have joined the Gyr Syndicate under Brandt Guntram for six months to pay off her debt. But when of one of the team is killed and the Syndicate turns against Alan who’s found leaning over his body, Ciere begins a search for the real perpetrator of the crime, her suspicions growing that Guntram may be involved.

In parallel plots Daniel Burkhart working with FBI Agent Gervais and the UAI
Kara Bianca
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it

Summary:
Deceptive is the sequel to Illusive, and follows Ciere, Daniel and Devon, each following different paths on their super-powered journey to solve a case of missing people.

Characters 4/5:
The characters are really strong in this. I particularly enjoy Ciere, she's a bit of a morally grey character and her growth in this was really fabulous. I did have a little bit of trouble right at the start telling Daniel and Devon's chapters apart, but they are in similar and complementary posi
Winterstar
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
The story of Ciere & co continues in this book. Again overall the setting and world building grow and even Alan develops something of a personality- sort of.

The flashbacks continue although this time they are a little more cluttered and random as the reader gets flashbacks from different characters POV sometimes of a scene that already occurred. Also they aren’t as well delineated so it’s a bit more of realizing the beginning or middle of a chapter is in fact a flashback and also trying to figu
Bean
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Listen, I read the first book in high school and I liked it, I truly did. I was looking forward to the sequel and when I finally read it, it was fine. Honestly, fine. The pacing was a little fast but it worked with the story. I liked the world Lloyd-Jones built and I definitely liked the story. I grew to really dislike the main character, but it's told through multiple POVs so I managed to finish the story despite dreading every chapter about her.

The straw that broke the camel's back is one tiny
Hiabara
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this book more than the first one.
It did have some twists I figured out on my own (view spoiler), but it also had some really great twists I didn't see coming (view spoiler)
Mia
Dec 25, 2018 rated it liked it
ok. I really really enjoyed this book but a couple of things bothered me. the entire book I felt like I could not connect with the characters. like I would read Devon’s part and then Daniels and i thought it was the same person. I had to keep stopping and reminding myself who was who. that’s the second thing. ok hopefully this is not just me but did Daniel and Devon mix anyone up? like they sound similar and they both start with a D. I just could not keep track of who was who and it didn’t help ...more
Fawkes Phoenix
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
I really started out liking this series a lot. I liked the characters and the writing. The suspense and the development were great. But ultimately I feel like it ended with a lot of loose ends. It feels like there should be one more books still. I don’t know.

We never learn anything about the history between arterius, magnus and kit. What happens to aditi sen? Hell what even happens to the main characters. They go their separate ways but they all seem to making “plans” and what not for the futur
Stronglysaltystudent
I sadly had to DNF this at about 30%

I was really hoping that I was gonna like this sequel because I did enjoy the first one enough to continue with the series. But I realized as I continued reading that I didn't care about any of the characters. Since I didn't care about them, I felt no motivation to continue reading.

Also, the writing isn't as awkward as it was in the first book, but it did feel a lot like "telling" with not much "showing".

I wish I could've finished this one, but I literally c
Jessica DiFelice (thefanaticreader)
This was a fun, action packed conclusion to a great story, and I really want more! I quite enjoyed the world that was created and I think that the whole concept of Immunes was really cool. The characters were great and multi faceted. They had some great development, and I liked the different POVs we were given.
Brittany
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-finds
Such an interesting end to this story! I really enjoyed watching each of our characters grow from their collective experiences and how everything was intertwined and not necessarily what you thought or were lead to believe. I would love to have more of these characters and this world but I am satisfied with how everything wraps up and look forward to reading more work from this author.
Jasminka Tanner
Jul 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Definitely not as good as the first book. I even began to dislike Alan because I felt like he was portrayed as self-centred in the way that all his focus was on himself and the formula. Even after all the huge sacrifices Ciere made for him, Alan still continued to focus on himself
Felipe Ayon
Apr 11, 2020 rated it liked it
I'm hooked into the world. I want to se more immune battles lol.
I'm reading the books again now. What if when they cure the 'Rona' we get weird immune powers too lol.
Any word a third entry? Been trying to look for a confirmation or even a mention but nothing :(
Lexie Layman
May 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Not bad. The first book was better, but still, not bad
Cacia Mitchell
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I have read in a long time.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Messenger of Fear (Messenger of Fear, #1)
  • Undertow (Undertow #1)
  • Arena (Arena, #1)
  • The Accident Season
  • The Case of the Cryptic Crinoline (Enola Holmes, #5)
  • The Case of the Peculiar Pink Fan (Enola Holmes, #4)
  • Seven Black Diamonds (Seven Black Diamonds, #1)
  • The Case of the Gypsy Good-Bye (Enola Holmes, #6)
  • Last of Her Name
  • The Rains (Rains, #1)
  • Thief of Dreams (Court of Dreams, #1)
  • Death Before Dawn (Guardian's Diary, #2)
  • Darkest Before Dawn (Guardian's Diary, #1)
  • The Case of the Left-Handed Lady (Enola Holmes, #2)
  • The Case of the Bizarre Bouquets (Enola Holmes, #3)
  • A Murderous Relation (Veronica Speedwell, #5)
  • The Hanged Man (The Tarot Sequence, #2)
  • The One Thing
Emily Lloyd-Jones grew up on a vineyard in rural Oregon, where she played in evergreen forests and learned to fear sheep. After graduating from Western Oregon University with an English degree, she enrolled in the publishing program at Rosemont College just outside of Philadelphia. She currently resides in Northern California, working in a bookstore by day and writing by night.

Illusive (2 books)
  • Illusive (Illusive, #1)