Start by marking “Vessel” as Want to Read:
Vessel

Vessel

Excitement is high when the crew of the International Space Station discovers a mysterious object in orbit around Earth. But something goes wrong, and contact with the station is lost. When journalist Sean Jacob gets wind of the situation, he embarks on a journey to reveal the truth, winding his way into the biggest conspiracy to ever face mankind.
Published July 30th 2014

To ask other readers questions about Vessel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vessel

Start your review of Vessel
Mike Zyskowski
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was ok

“Vessel” is a prime example of how valuable a good Editor is . . .

Andrew Morgan IS a decent writer, but the more I think about the book and its story/plot flaws, the more apparent it is that, as much as I love the amount of self-publishing going on, spend some coin on an Editor

I enjoyed “Vessel” for the most part, and for a 350+ page book where not much actually happens, that’s pretty impressive. But the more I think about the story . . . I don’t understand . . . I’m confused. I get the
Donna Backshall
Ehh.

The same "ehh" I felt reading Not Alone.

Why such a disenchanted review? Nothing really happened. The story, from beginning to end, was entirely predictable. And worst, it contained nothing new for the genre.

For the audio version: It is irksome to hear every single American character portrayed as John Wayne. Almost as annoying as hearing every American Southerner made to sound like a character from Hee Haw.
Norm Hamilton
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) NASA and Russian Federal Space Agency (RFSA) are continuing to operate the International Space Station (ISS) together.

However, now there is an additional vessel orbiting in space.

Andrew J. Morgan’s imageries of place and action help draw the reader in, investing in characters from the outset.

I particularly liked following the parallel, related stories—one on the ground, one 240 miles in space—as they unfolded page after page. Sally Fisher,
Jonathan Chen
May 31, 2016 rated it did not like it
I listened to the audiobook version of Vessel and didn't realize that it was self-published until after. Throughout the book, I found myself doing a lot of "wait, what happened to so-and-so?", "what's going on now?, "why are we talking bout this?", and lastly, "man, they're going to drag this out for a sequel."

Basically, Vessel is a Solaris mixed in with some X-files conspiracy elements. It would've worked fine if the writing wasn't so terrible. Other reviewers have brought up the need for an
Susan Charme
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book should be made into a movie!

This is a wonderful book in many ways. It is very well written and kept me on the edge of my seat till the final page. I love this kind of story, one that takes place in space and presents a completely imaginative scenario that could possibly occur in this mysterious universe of ours. I found the book to be quite enthralling and it has the ability to place you right in the middle action as it unfolds. I hope that someone out there who is fascinated by outer
Chip
Sep 11, 2016 rated it liked it
This book had its problems - editing, typos, the fact that very little happens, weak characters. It would have made an OK X-files episode. There is no reason why the characters behave the way they do especially since the story takes place on the space station and in Russia. And why are Americans ruling the Russian space program? I do not recommend.
Reddit Reviewer
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Really interesting book. Has some crime elements to it that are unique to the detective genre. Worth the read, and great cover design. In this case you can judge a book by its cover. 5 stars.

Book identified on: /r/selfpublish
patrycja polczyk
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book was good up until few final chapters. There was good, swift action with good characters, though I’ve had a feeling that author didn’t exactly understood some of the words he used. Some of them didn’t really fit the rest of the sentence. Ending of the book was meh. I have no idea why, but it was like something was suddenly cut off and ending was written in a big hurry. That disappointed me. Otherwise it’s an ok book.
Ann
Dec 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: prime-koll, 2017
Fairly intriguing concept, if sometimes a bit confusing. Sort of a cross between 2001:A Space Odyssey and Stranger in a Strange Land with a bit of spy thriller thrown in for good measure. A 'vessel' is observed from the International Space Station and duly reported to the Russian Space Command. But before long NASA takes over, people in Mission Control start to disappear and then communication with the station is cut off.

I personally found the ending a bit weird.
andrew j Brown
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Good read

I enjoyed the premise but found it a bit ponderous at times. Although saying that I do want to find out what happens next.
Leslie
Dec 18, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a story that is really hard to categorize and that doesn't really end. It begins as a Science Fiction mystery when a mysterious object is found behind the ISS. Then turns into a space medical thriller as the cosmonauts & astronaut begin suffering from weird symptoms. Then goes back to SCi-fi (a la the book Gravity) where a SETI employee is rushed to ready for space. Meanwhile a journalist is investigating the American Military takes over there are dead Russians. It is just insane.
Robert J.
Sep 13, 2016 rated it did not like it
A poorly written, idiotic story.

This books starts out reasonably well with a somewhat intriguing premise. Unfortunately the author can't really decide where he is going with the plot and it turns into mush. The characters are not believable, especially the villain. The agencies involved are implausible. And throughout the poor writing gets in the way. The book was free and that's good. Why I bothered to read the entire thing is due to stubbornness rather than entertainment. Total waste of time.
Yt Maverick
Nov 17, 2014 rated it liked it
More of a 2.5

It was OK -- nothing special, but not bad. And I could see the ending from almost the beginning of the book
Scott
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Vessel” by Andrew J. Morgan, audiobook narrated by Victor Bevine, appears to be a blending of various genres and sub genres such as: science fiction, first contact, detective procedural, and government conspiracy in a single well-written action-packed thriller. The book includes aliens, life, death, and a little bit of romance along the way. There were a few intense periods and a few where the book was a bit slow. Overall the book lacked humor which can be leveraged to relieve tension, but I ...more
Mars
Aug 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
Welcome to Vessel, where readers have to struggle through a story with unconvincing characterization and cliche plot lines. Join Sally “token female character” Fisher and Sean “hardened white man” Jacob as they fight a shady NASA ex-general and try to make first contact with a mysterious space Orb.

Well… probably. I didn’t finish this book.

It’s bland and I probably only read as much as I did because I was on a flight back home. I couldn’t find myself rooting for any of the characters besides
Carl Rackman
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: sci-fi and suspense readers
Really enjoyed this quick read. I liked the well-researched plot and the main female character Sally.

It zips along at a brisk pace, offering mystery and suspense in a very readable style.

It's short enough to read in a couple of sittings, and the plot is intriguing without being complex. It has a tidy ending that begs a sequel.

It reminded me of Stanislas Lem's Solaris in theme, but it was more sci-tech thriller than hard sci-fi.

Some of the timing was a little compressed, and speaking from a
5ngela
Mar 17, 2017 rated it liked it
To be honest I cannot believe that I will give this great premise book 3 stars. I thought it was best seller, but it really disappoint me with the grammar and the ending. The story also quite incoherent. I don't know how could Mr. Morgan who amazed me with his New York Deep make story like this.

I admit that I read this book quite long because of my schedule. But when I really read it, I read it until the end. The beginning is very promising. I like the theme and characters even though they have
Bob Mimiaga
May 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The first third of this book unfolds an intriguing story about an alien vessel that is tracking the International Space Station in space. Unexplainable things start to happen to the ISS crew which generates dozens of questions about who these aliens are and what their purpose with the crew and mankind is. Unfortunately as the rest of the story continues none of these questions are really answered. In fact there is no real 'encounter' with the aliens other then through one of the crew members.
I
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyable sci-fi read, but the ending didn't live up to expectations

I actually really enjoyed this story, the characters and the mysterious UV one. The only reason I didn't give it five stars was because I thought the ending fell a bit flat for me. In the end it was tied up with a very convoluted story that I found overcomplicated and what could have been a really beautiful book. It felt a bit too much like it was tiring to tie up loose ends, instead of letting something's bring left
Debbie Houghton
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic a new and vibrant take of UFO visitation

Thoroughly enjoyed this very original take on space and UFO appearance and its subsequent effect on human minds and emotions. I could not put the book down and read it through in one session. The writer brings so much depth into his characters that even those that appear briefly are fully fleshed and believable. I cried and laughed throughout the book and was thrilled with the ending. I am so look forwards to a follow up
A definite must read
Christopher S.
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
I didn't know when I started this book that it was a self published effort, but I had my suspicions early on. It cries out for an editor but the author is not without talent, the story is well managed at a reasonable pace with some credible action set pieces, albeit not exactly big budget demanding.
Some of the characters could stand some fleshing out and a language and grammar check would spike here and there at some of the more obvious fumbles and faux pas. However, I have read worse books and
Ellie
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thought provoking sci-fi thriller

Really enjoyed this book which confounded expectations. I has thought it was shaping up to be similar to the plot of 'The Arrival ' , and yet the concept of the Infinite, and omniscient was handled well.
I enjoyed the setting in Russia, with Russian characters, and threatening presence of NASA .
Good character development, with an exceptional eye for detail especially in relation to the ISS.
Chris Yates
Nov 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting story with twists

This story had me guessing different things throughout, which I really enjoy in a book. If you can look past the unrealistic parts, then you will enjoy this. I must say though, the story is very much let down by the end. I know writers want to leave readers guessing what happens next and leave it so they can write another book in a series, but this ending just really let the book down.
Remo
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
I am NEVER taking another Kindle recommendation. This book was bad. Started out OK, with an alien vessel appearing immediately behind the International Space Station. The ISS cosmonauts/astronaut can't take digital photos of it to send to Earth. Weird stuff happens. NASA sends a civilian SETI researcher to the ISS with a weird astronaut as her chaperone. And then things just get stupid. Trite dialogue and nonsensical plot devices.
Jamie
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good page turner

I really enjoy space novels, and this one was no exception. A thought provoking novel, that had me interested from early on. It had good characters that you could get behind, and some you wanted to slug from behind! It flowed nicely and I'm looking forward to read other books by the author.
Mr Richard J Hurst
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kept you guessing

Good read, good build up of the characters with some unexpected twists. I liked the switching of the characters stories and what was happen in space and on earth, as one scene/chapter ended I was keen to know what the next part to that story line was. Recommended to all who like sci-fi.
Alan Graham
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Worth the read

Andrew Morgan does a good job of weaving this story together though there are several lapses and leaps in the storyline that are hard to justify and the ending is pretty predictable. I was very impressed with the crafting of the technical sections. Time well spent on a flight to Denver.
Jim Garrison
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Sifi mystery

Truly an enjoyable first contact mystery. The timeframe is not far from the present, but not encumbered by loads of futuristic technology. The characters were engaging and complicated. And, I must say that I found it difficult to put down once I began reading it. The book is well worth its price and your time to read it!
M A TOOMER
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Unusual SciFi

I wasn't sure this book was going to be the type I usually like ... but I actually loved it.
Two separate stories combining but you're not sure why, until the end.
I seriously couldn't put it down and read it over two days, whenever I had spare time. Recommend this to both SciFi and thriller readers.
Scott Wilson
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book

A very good read although the narrative required a bit too much suspension of disbelief for my total liking. Something about American/Russian relations being a bit of a stretch. The characterisations were a bit weak, especially of the main male character of whom we know nothing except he's quite young looking. Also don't know how the bad guy got away with his crimes.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Perks Of Bein...: Vessel launch promotion 1 6 Aug 01, 2014 10:49AM
Book Haven: Vessel launch promotion 1 5 Aug 01, 2014 10:46AM
The Sword and Laser: Vessel launch promotion 1 19 Aug 01, 2014 10:38AM
Apocalypse Whenever: Vessel launch promotion 1 9 Aug 01, 2014 10:37AM

• Blue Hope (Red Hope, #2)
  • Not Alone: Second Contact
  • Pre-Earth: You have to know
  • The Eden Paradox (Eden Paradox, #1)
  • Red Hope (Red Hope, #1)
  • The Cloud
  • Children Of The Deterrent (Halfhero #1)
  • Not Alone
  • Losing Mars
  • The Final Winter (Damienverse, #3)
  • Colony One Mars (Colony Mars #1)
  • Feedback
  • Lunar Discovery: Let the Space Race Begin (Discovery Series Book 1)
  • Entropy (The Belt #2)
  • Orbs (Orbs #1)
  • Mission One
  • Terradox
  • The Event (The Survivors, #1)
If you would like to find out more about my work, please visit: http://www.andrewjamesmorgan.com
“Sally” 0 likes
“Sally was running through some gamma ray readings from a nearby star, Wolf 359. 'Did” 0 likes