Start by marking “Black Rose” as Want to Read:
Black Rose

Black Rose

Lillian Locke had the perfect life in Boulder, Colorado. She had the boyfriend of her dreams, a wonderful family, awesome friends, and a spot on the track team at a great college. There wasn’t anything life could throw at her that she couldn’t get through . . . until he found her.

Lillian never could have imagined being abducted and chained up in the dark. Worse yet, being
Published November 13th 2014 by The Writer's Coffee Shop

To ask other readers questions about Black Rose, please sign up.
Kris Thompson I started writing Black Rose in 2010, but back then it had the title 30 Days of Darkness. I submitted my book to my publisher in 2013, so roughly 3 ye…moreI started writing Black Rose in 2010, but back then it had the title 30 Days of Darkness. I submitted my book to my publisher in 2013, so roughly 3 years. But if you include editing, which I do, then it took me almost 4 years to write and complete.

Anyone who tells you writing is easy is a liar. LOL(less)

Start your review of Black Rose
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
When I started this book I thought it was going to be one of those books where the girl gets kidnapped, abused and falls in love with the guy. I hate those.
This book is not that. It's frigging dark though and the people that have triggers might not need to read it. I liked it though..because of the main character Lee.
There has been women going missing in the community but no one ever thinks it could happen to them right? It does happen to Lee. She is taken and wakes up with six other women..cha
Brandi
Sep 15, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5

"Eenie, meenie, miney, moe. Who will be the first to go?"

Black Rose is a violent, suspenseful, psychological thriller. Lillian is living the good life, a young college student with a loving family and devoted boyfriend, until she becomes the latest victim of a madman.

description

She finds herself chained in a strange room, drugged and afraid, but she isn't alone. She discovers she is one of many women who have recently gone missing. Her fight to survive is just beginning. While Lee is struggling to
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Black Rose is a bold novel that pulls no punches. It does not apologise for it's content, and does not need to. Not for the timid in nature, Black Rose contains some fairly distressing scenes and story telling. A book that held my attention from start to finish, certainly gripping.

Lillian is happy in her relationship with Richard, the book starts of with snippets of their relationship together and an introduction to a woman who has a lot going for her, and great things ahead of her.

All of that
Sue
Many thanks to the author, Kris Thompson and the publisher, The Writers Coffee Shop, for my e-book copy of this book to review.

"Black Rose" is a dark, graphic and violent suspense thriller, that sets the tone for a action packed plot. The story brings back flashbacks of the movie "Kiss the Girls" with Morgan Freeman and Ashley Judd...a movie that I loved! It is hard to believe that this is a debut novel for this author, as the words and language are crisp and bounce off the page. I couldn't put
Dvillalobos
I gobbled that book up in one sitting!!! Remember that movie Kiss the Girls with Morgan Freeman and Ashley Judd? Well Black Rose is that on STEROIDS and SO MUCH BETTER! Two of my favorite words to use when describing a book...TWISTED and BRUTAL! It seriously played out like a fantastic suspense thriller movie. Be forewarned, it is VERY graphic and violent....YAY! If you love dark books like me, you'll understand where I'm coming from. The shocking prologue certainly sets the tone of what you're ...more
SUSAN   *Nevertheless,she persisted*
Nov 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I am going to be the minority here, I stopped reading at 49%. I really didn't see how this book was going to improve. This book lacked depth,character development and the storyline is a little too reminiscent of James Patterson's "Kiss the Girls". I found the approach and writing was incongruous with the subject matter. It was not what I expected. ...more
Sue
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was recommended by several book buddies. I gave in and pushed it up my never ending pile of TBR list. I am so glad I did. I was hooked. ALL night I stayed up to finish this book. I began reading it around 9pm, I couldn't leave it alone, so I stayed with it right until the end.

Some people will say.....can't read this about rape, abduction, torture
Some will start it and not want to finish it

Can I urge you to read it, get past that and see the strength of the girls involved, see how this
CasPerfitz~SLiTsReaD
3.5 Stars!

I get why some of those that have read this compared it to the movie “Kiss the Girl” with Morgan Freeman and Ashley Judd…. It’s about women gone missing, abducted, raped and after so much weeks, their mutilated bodies are dump in the woods. He collects these women to make his own personal harem. But the comparison to the book and the movie stops there (for me anyways).

The story is told through one of the abducted woman’s ordeal and her boyfriend who desperately search for her.

You see
Kei • fiction court •

"Eenie, meenie, miney, moe. Who will be the first to go?"

Black Rose is intense there's no denying that; Lillian is a strong character, she has pretty much the perfect life, an amazing boyfriend, an amazing family, awesome friends and overall, she couldn't ask for more. Then, the unthinkable happens and she gets kidnapped. Now, in a situation like this every person reacts differently and Lillian's reaction was real, every moment inside her head while she went through this felt real, she was stron
Sandi Layne
Aug 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
When I received a complimentary copy of this book, the author warned me that it was dark. And it is, very much so. But that's not all that Black Rose is, and I found myself enjoying the triumphs herein, as well as shaking my head at the main characters on occasion.

For this, I won't apologize. I'm a cop's kid, at bottom.

You can read the blurb - It's accurate. This is a tale of women who are abducted, imprisoned, and abused by a man who uses them for his own needs. This part of Black Rose is terri
Tbird London
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am so impressed with this new author. She came out of the gates with a powerful novel for the readers who enjoy a dark and twisted read. She tackled the dual POV of storytelling and kept it consistent and smooth. The characters in this story were very well developed and told powerful yet distressing details of how they felt going through the nightmare that greeted Lee and Richard.

The synopsis gives you a glimpse at what you are about encounter with this plot. Lee and Richard are in love yet t
Liz Barnsley
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
**Actual Rating 3.5 stars**

Please note: This review will appear on my blog as part of the "Black Rose" blog tour on the 19th November with further information and links.

I read this in pretty much one sitting, so well did it flow and for the most part I thought it was a terrific psychological suspense novel, with a realistic twist generally speaking and it definitely packs one heck of an emotional punch.

The most resonant part of the novel for me came with the relationship between Richard and Lil
Lindsey Gray
Aug 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Lindsey by: http://ph.thewriterscoffeeshop.com/bo...
The tag line for this novel really sums up the determination of Lillian Locke throughout the story.

"It's better to die on your feet than beg on your knees."

This story is the gritty depiction of the life of a kidnap victim and the people who fight to find her.

Lilly is the typical co-ed with a busy life, great friends, and a doting boyfriend. Unfortunately, she was exactly the challenge a madman thought he needed. One moment she's in her car, the next she's locked up in a darkened room with only t
Willow Brooks
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Perfectly Sick and Twisted. I don't know how this book can be reviewed without giving anything away. All the kidnapped women were strong in their own way, but Lee was exceptional! If you're looking for a book to get your rocks off, I can tell you that you will not find it here so please look elsewhere.

This story was very well written. The plot was tight even though everything didn't go my way. I'm sorry but the last kidnapping was kind of funny. Don't ask me why because you'll think i'm crazy.
Steve
Sep 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a tough book to stick with at the beginning. Any book dealing with this subject matter should be tough. I admit to almost giving up on it after about a quarter of the way in. I was worried about the graphic details that I felt would be coming as the story progressed. Luckily, I hung in. Kris Thompson approaches this subject with as much detail as needed to keep you feeling very much at ease but without overwhelming you with brutality. There is a fine line to be walked, and this book doe ...more
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Nov 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dark
This is an extremely well written gripping story.

Lillian's life falls apart when she is kidnapped and held captive by a sick stranger. While being held captive she realises that the girls gone missing in her hometown are being held captive too. The kidnapper believes these girls are his and he can do what he likes. She is brutally beaten and raped. However the kidnapper hadn't taken into consideration how strong Lillian is. We also get Lillian's boyfriend, Richards, points of view. He tells us
Jennifer Garcia
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, arc, p2p
Wow, I'm almost speechless. Kris Thompson wrote a raw, emotional, and (at times) extremely difficult to read tale about a psychopathic kidnapper and rapist. I swear I my eyes teared up starting in the prologue and then I cried for the second half of the book.

Lee, she was a kick ass heroine. Strong beyond belief and amazingly written. Her boyfriend, Richard, was loyal and strong. I'm blown away at how well all of the characters were written and even the smallest character had a lot of meaning.

T
Heather
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Holy wow.

What a book.

This one is going down as a favorite book of 2014 (or going up … in the sidebar of my blog).

When the book starts, Lillian and Richard are aware of the kidnapper’s activities. Richard is a bit more alert and cautious than Lillian is. You can tell right from the start that he is on alert, she kind of brushes his concerns aside and heads off only to get kidnapped.

These girls are so strong in Black Rose. I don’t care if any of them “seem” weaker than another here and there throu
M.B.
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
***review to follow as part of blog tour***

**UPDATE 18 November 2014**

I finished this book a couple of days ago, yet waited to formulate my review. I read this book a long time ago in it's fanfiction form, and couldn't wait to see what changes the author made to it.

As soon as I started reading, I couldn't put it down. Whilst the story was familiar, I wasn't at all prevented from wanting/needing to carry on, so I could find out what happened. I read a lot of mystery/thriller books, and Black Rose
Di Covey/TwistedBookReviews
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5 Gripping Stars!

"Better to die on my feet than beg on my knees"

A CHILLING RIDE!!

A real to life abduction story. THIS was more realistic to an actual kidnapping that I've ever read. DON'T go thinking this a dark romance, it's not. A gritty account of what could really happen.

A great book for lovers of dark, the details were AMAZINGLY good, but not over the top. This guy was sick to the core crazy. I really wanted inside of his head. I mean, I really wanted inside this head. The author takes y
Naomi
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm Floored just WOW. SO much has changed Im going crazy not that far in but sooooo hooked.

From the get go Black Rose has you hooked with its intriging Prologue and Summary.

It was Mystery, Thriller and love story all rolled up into one.

It got you with the Amazing Cover Art to the layout of the story.

When reading you never see a story from the victims point of view and its amazing to see that kris pulled this off.

She has a very strong Heroine here with Lillian Locke down to the amazing other ch
'Q' aka CoCo
Nov 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Suspenseful, gripping

Man, this book had me turning pages quickly. David is one disturbed individual, collecting girls for his harem for the sole purpose of rape and torture. There's no romance here... not even the Stockholm Syndrome kind so be warned, some of the scenes are a bit graphic. Well written in its entirety, this book was a thrilling ride. It slowed a bit at the end and I do kind of feel like everything was tied up in too pretty of a bow for the circumstances but, all in all, riveting.
Shelby
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-loved
Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for the advance read on this book.

There are just not enough words to describe how great I thought this book was! I completed it in one sitting, refused sleep till I was finished.

A psychotic killer is abducting women, holding them hostage for days and days while raping and torturing and killing in a most horrendous way. Except you know this by reading the back of the book. What you dont know is the story inside...there is so much more.
Lisa Bilbrey
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get an advanced copy of Black Rose, and from the moment I opened it, I was hooked. Kris Thompson weaved an amazing tale, full of raw emotion and gritty details. One of the things I loved the most was how Ms. Thompson didn't sugarcoat it. She was real. She painted a real picture of what Lillian went through. I won't give out any details, but I cannot recommend this book enough! It's amazing, and I look forward to reading more of Kris Thompson's work. ...more
Lisa
Nov 29, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grubby-reads
I am going to be in the minority here i did not get into this book firstly some of the copntent with raping girls while unconscious really is distasteful the story did not go anywhere & found it hard to read.

How an author can write such a horrible plot involving women in this way is incomprehensible especially from a woman i wont put myself through this again was a hard read for me
T.S. Arthur
Oct 18, 2014 rated it really liked it

A story about an abduction, a crazy rapist who enjoys torturing young girls and one couples fight to be with each other again, Black Rose is so much more than what is advertised on the summary. Incorporating all aspects of human emotion, Thompson pulls you into her story from the beginning and leaves you holding your breath for the happy ever after you so desperately want, but fear will never arrive.

I was hooked from the very beginning of this story. I am the first to admit I’ve not rea
Izzy
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those who don't mind the darker stuff
Recommended to Izzy by: Kris Thompson
This book... wow. I finished it a few days ago and I'm still trying to come to terms with what to write. I'm sure I'll have to edit this later once I've had time to properly take it all in. I might read it again first, which is something I rarely do.

I don't like to put spoilers in my reviews, so I don't want to say much about the plot other than the basics. Psycho guy likes to kidnap girls, he takes our main character, Lee, and her adoring (pretty awesome) boyfriend, Richard, does everything he
Jess Brown
Dec 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've loved this thriller since Kris first put it out there.

Due to the subject matter (which is traumatic) it’s a tough read and people with P.T.S.D might want to avoid it. The pace is fast and the facts of the crime are served up as they might be to a jury. There’s no unnecessary embellishment, but bad things happen in this book. Often, they happen because people make mistakes.

Mistakes empower the creepiest villain I’ve read in a while. He’s a veritable psycho who’s smarmy with his victims even
Joy
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Black Rose is a dark psychological thriller that details the story of a college student named Lillian Locke and her abduction by a psychotic sexual predator who has been kidnapping young women in and around Boulder, Colorado. Now she’s one of a few women chained up in a basement at the mercy of a man who sees her and the others as objects in his personal harem. Lillian isn’t one to sit back and let someone control her destiny. She gives hope to the other young women and fights back against her c ...more
Stephanie
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
*I was given an ARC by the publisher, in exchange for an honest review*

This story blew my mind! I loved, loved, loved this book!!

I had previously read a different version of this story, and was happy to learn Kris Thompson was publishing this book. I wasn’t sure what to expect, since it’s Thompson’s first book, but let me tell you; it was superb!

This crime-thriller had me on an emotional roller coaster. I felt sadness, worrisome, fearfulness, and relief.

For Thompson to evoke all these emotions
Kris Thompson is a veteran of the US Navy and single mother of three. When she’s not knitting scarves, chasing her children around or baking, you’ll find her enjoying a good book or writing down notes for her own upcoming stories. Writing has been a passion for Kris for many years, and seeing those stories printed on paper is a dream come true.

Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Black-Rose-Kris...