Start by marking “Pouto” as Want to Read:
Pouto

Pouto

Dominic Kitchen je svatební fotograf. Od počátku své úspěšné kariéry zachycuje ženicha a nevěstu v nejšťastnějších okamžicích jejich života, kdy uzavírají svazek, o němž doufají, že potrvá navždy. Přitom jemu samému není pomoci, protože se naopak nedokáže vymanit z pouta k ženě, která by pro něj měla být za všech okolností tabu…
Published 2013 by Knižní klub (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Pouto, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pouto

Start your review of Pouto
Petra X on hiatus (or trying to be)
This is contemporary fiction at it's lightest hiding a dark secret that could have made it fascinating but it needed to be a work of more depth for that.

None of the characters were particularly endearing and most of them weren't particularly believable either. I intensely disliked the ending but that was a personal thing, others might not feel the same. (view spoiler)
Bob
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't say this lightly but, this has to be one of the best books I've read in a long time. Not only is it fun, moving, easy to read, and all the other superlatives that folks use far too easily, but it is really well written. The pace is a delight, it rattles along without the reader even knowing they're doing it. I finished the last chapter, put the book down, looked out of the window and realised I was in Iceland. Time was getting on and I needed beer. No easy task in Reykjavik!
Seriously tho
Dan
Sep 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never before have I had such mixed feelings about a book when I've finished it. This book is essentially a fictional memoir which pretty much tells everything that happened in the life of wedding photographer Dominic Kitchen. The titular knot comes in two distinct ways. One is from tying the knot what with their being lots of weddings, both professionally and involving family members. The second comes from the knot in the stomach, the feeling of unease or distress that Dominic has. That unease c ...more
Allen Vincent
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Berengaria di Rossi
I had to DNF "The Knot" (dt: Überlebensgroß) at 65%. Not because of the writing, not because of the content, but because of the length and the head-shaking normalcy of the main character: Dominic Kitchen. Yep, Kitchen. And that's about as exciting as he is, too.

Writing: very well-written this. It floats us through scenes so smoothly, you don't even notice it's there. The epitome of the writer paring his fingernails in the corner (J.Joyce) 5 stars for the writing! *applause*

Content: much
Lorraine Currie
Sep 01, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I would not recommend this book to anyone. I even left it behind. It presents as light summer reading, a tragi comedy it states. Its actually a story of incest and I struggled to find much humour in it at all.
Robert King
Don't buy it for your sister. ...more
Holly
Oct 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book in a long time that made me irritated at real life for getting in the way of reading. Absolutely gorgeous language that so often cuts to the core of the weird, raw, and heartbreaking parts of being a person.
Kelly
Jul 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This is one of those books I found myself flipping back to the cover to wonder about as I read. Because the main character is a wedding photographer, the title makes sense, but the light attitude of the artwork seems to contradict the serious tone of the book. Told as a memoir, the story details the life and relationships of Dominic -- those of his immediate family, his family as a married man, and his professional life as a photographer. Anyone drawn to this book because of the wedding photogra ...more
Bettie
BABT

Blurb: Dominic Kitchen is a wedding photographer who is used to seeing people tie the knot, an expression that also represents a sensation that he feels in the pit of his stomach. A sensation that emerges when he is in the presence of a certain person who could change his ordinary life forever. They have a secret that only they can ever know as it is something that society, even today, would struggle with. This is a tale of agonising loss and forbidden love.

Written by Mark Watson
Abridged by
Jane
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really, really want to rate this higher but I just can't, maybe 2 and a half at a push. I loved Eleven and was expecting something as complex and well-written but I was disappointed. It's nothing to do with the sensitive subject matter, which was handled about as delicately as possible, I just didn't really warm to anyone. I also struggled with parts of the ending. Victoria finding out their Mothers secret didn't really change anything and I wasn't really sure how Beth suddenly becoming a majo ...more
Pixelina
Lewis
Jun 12, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5

Light read, family drama, often funny, but not very emotionally heavy on the whole.
Kelly
Oct 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
I was just supposed to start reading this book but once I'd read the first page I was doomed to a one-sitting reading. I thought it was great. The book as a whole is well-written, the plot simple and yet always progressing and the characters were all well-developed.

The book revolves around Dominic Kitchen a wedding photographer who is writing his memoirs, detailing his entire life from start to finish. The interesting parts anyway. This style meant that you know Dom on a really personal and in-
Louise
Jun 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clare Hudson
Hmmm... really not sure about my feelings on this one - didn't like the subject matter and, although it was well written, I had absolutely no sympathy/empathy or connection with any of the characters. They all needed to get a grip and sort themselves out (sorry if that's an over generalisation). Would only recommend it to avid readers - if you don't read very much then pick something else - there's far too many other good books out there, in my opinion. Would be interested in reading another one ...more
Patricia Gwilliams
At last, someone who can write

So many Kindle cheapies are so badly written that I just abandon them. Mark Watson's writing is wonderful. Great characterisation. I really lost myself in this book. I'm just left with a nagging question now. Do people really have such feelings? I can't believe it, or am I being naive? And BTW, I didn't buy the revelation at the end as being in any way exonerating. Will definitely read more by this author. Excellent.
Snoakes
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For some reason, Mark Watson's novels had passed me by until Eleven was a kindle daily deal last year sometime. I really enjoyed that, so I downloaded The Knot and it is every bit as enjoyable. Mark Watson is a very talented storyteller.
I'm really looking forward to Hotel Alpha now.
Jess
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Surprising brilliant. Is it a true autobiography? Easy writing style and totally believable characters. My most favourite depiction was his dad.
Susan Goodfellow
Oct 13, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Awful. Just awful. I have never been as negative about a book as this one.
Kieran Tan
This book is about a wedding photographer and his journey through the ups and downs of life. While there were parts of the book that was exhilarating and suspenseful, other parts of the book was a little bit boring and it felt like it was dragging on and on without adding too much to the story. Something I liked about this book was how Dom's life was portrayed and how you watched him grow up. You really get to know him as a person and understand him. While some of the things that he does may not ...more
Mindbait
I'd read Watson's "Eleven" and really liked it, so decided to give this one a go. His books are not hugely hilarious or action packed, but he just builds his characters so well you really want to keep reading and see how things pan out for them.

Though Watson's day job is comedy, his fiction writing (based on the two of his books I've read so far) seems to lean more towards touching, slightly quirky drama (with occasional bits of comedy). They focus on fairly invisible lives (nighttime DJ, weddin
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: family, contemporary
I thought I'd reviewed this when I finished it, but I must have forgotten! This was purchased quite a while ago on a Kindle Daily Deal whim because I like Mark Watson as a comedian so I fancied giving his fiction a go.

The Knot is both a funny and heartbreaking story of growing up, and of family in all its intricacies and difficulties.

I had just two niggles. The first was that Dominic ages through the book from quite a young boy to a man well into middle-age, yet his character and behaviour didn'
Hugh Mullan
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this.

Mark Watson is such a talent. I've always enjoyed his comedy and I picked this up thinking it would be a literary extension of his stand up work but that's not the case; it's much more than that.

This is a nuanced and compelling read. Written in the first person, we follow Dominic Kitchen - a talented wedding photographer - as he narrates the events in his life. This is such a bare description but it's best to go in without spoilers because this is a engrossing but uncomfo
Brian's Bookshelves
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, lit-fic
So this was purely bought because I recognised the the Author, Mark Watson, and liked him as a comedian and didn't know he had written books.
I knew nothing of the plot just bought it on a whim
I buddy read it with Dave (Wildereads) on Booktube and was surprised by this book

I was sort of expecting a comic book, or a lightly humourous book. What we got instead is a tear-jerking, heart-wrenching tragic tale of life,love and loss. With a few surprising twists

Simply written and gripping characters re
Adam
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Literary fiction written as if a Sunday afternoon radio play. It contained none of the witticism I would hope from Mark Watson, but neither did it have the depth nor darkness necessary to fully embrace the subject matter at hand. It deals with a middle-aged man reminiscing on a life well lived as the photographer of weddings, who lives with a terrible secret and sexual proclivities which manifest themselves but have little overall impact on the story. Feels as if the book ran out of ideas.
Lynne Norman
Whilst this was a fairly well-written and well-paced book, I simply have no idea why anyone would want to write about this particular subject - and I didn't want to read about it. I found it very difficult to understand the character's motivations and I actually found them pretty irritating, immature and selfish. ...more
Ruth Beville
Jul 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book will make you laugh and cry as you follow the main character and his family from his childhood to middle age. Beautiful characters who draw the reader in, sensitive issues handled well all the twists and turns that the separate members of one family can take but ultimately joined in the end.
I picked this book up on impulse and am very glad I did a very good read.
Andy McGowan
Apr 13, 2021 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One of the most boring books that I have ever read. In the end, the main character Dom 'old boy' left me not caring what happened to him.
The story jumped too much and was full of inaccuracies.
Mark should have done some proper research and drawn a timeline.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Remainder
  • De wetten
  • Deviation
  • Auerhaus
  • He Used Thought as a Wife. An Anthology of Poems and Conversations (From Inside).
  • A Countess Below Stairs
  • Exciting Times
  • Amazing Story of the Man Who Cycled from India to Europe for Love
  • Yes Man
  • Big Brother
  • The Red House
  • The Problem with Men: When is International Men’s Day? (And Why it Matters)
  • The Eye of the Leopard
  • Acts of Desperation
Mark Andrew Watson (born 13 February 1980) is an English stand-up comedian and novelist.

Watson was born in Bristol to Welsh parents. He has younger twin sisters called Emma and Lucy and brother Paul. He attended Henleaze Junior school and then Bristol Grammar School, where he won the prize of 'Gabbler of the year', before going to Queens' College, Cambridge, where he studied English, graduating wi

News & Interviews

The weather’s getting cooler—here in the northern hemisphere, anyway—and that means time is running out for participants in this year’s...