Start by marking “Redemption by Fire (By Fire, #1)” as Want to Read:
Redemption by Fire (By Fire, #1)

Redemption by Fire

(By Fire #1)

Dirk Krause is an asshole of the first degree. His life is a hell of his own making, and he makes everyone around him just as miserable. When he’s injured on the job while fighting a fire, he’s nearly unbearable to the hospital staff, and of course no one from his unit cares enough to visit.

Lee Stockton is the new guy at the station, so he gets saddled with the job of brin
Audiobook
Published July 13th 2014 by Dreamspinner Press LLC (first published May 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Redemption by Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Redemption by Fire

Candice
May 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: firemen, hot
I liked the chemistry between Lee and Dirk and would have liked the story to have been a little longer to explore more as the ending seemed kinda abrupt. Unfortunately, I am only giving this 3 stars because other aspects of the book, the other firefighters and the father lowered the reading enjoyment of this book for me.
LenaRibka
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it

Audible

3,5 stars

My first Andrew Grey and my first Peter B. Brooke, and I found the two fit together pretty well. It was an easy and quick read, and I enjoyed the development of the relationship between Lee and Dirk.

What I can't understand, and what was difficult for me to believe, is the fact that NOBODY from Dirk's team-mates(except Lee, who was a new in the station!) visited him in the hospital where he stayed for a while because of being seriously injured while saving a baby from a burning ho
Vivian
Simple, uncomplicated self-acceptance story.

These kinds of stories aren't my favorite, probably because I have other issues to work through, but it's easy and enjoyable in an unrealistic way. Looking for a gentle lovers' story, then this is it with a side of hot guys. 2.5 stars rounding up because I like mentoring, which is what Lee did for Dirk.
Gwendolyn
May 06, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Can't even finish this. Even if the guy is a total douche bag, a firefighter was injured on the job. People are there waiting to make sure they wake up and help with recovery. There would have been flowers and other firefighters, wives, all sorts of support. Yes even to assholes because next time the person who barely or doesn't make it out could be you or your spouse. Then Lee comes in and he's a bigger prick then Dirk is supposed to be even though our only proof of this is no visitors, which i ...more
Serena Yates
May 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay
Starting with the cover, which is about as gorgeous as it is hot, this book pulled me in. Of course, as soon as I started reading, the cover and everything else were quickly forgotten, as my fascination with the characters took over. As common as closeted men may be, they are not easy to write, and Andrew Grey did a great job at capturing these guys’ essence in the story. What they go through is not easy, and it takes them a while to figure out what is really important. For me, that made the boo ...more
Cole Riann
Apr 25, 2012 marked it as not-yet-finished  ·  review of another edition
Audrey
Apr 01, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: man-love
Enjoyed this enough while I was reading it, but it's not really something that I can see myself wanting to revisit or reread again. I think my main problem was the narrator/narrative voice - just didn't connect much with him or the flow of his voice. That said, firemen = yay, and the love interest, Lee, was a sweetheart.
Victoria  love books
Overall book rating 3.5 Stars
Audio book: Narrator - Peter B Brooke
Cover rating: 4.5 Stars

description

This was a sweet nice mellow read. Hot gay firefighters ...
Chappy
Hot fire-fighter times two.

Brad is so deep in the closet that he's a real jerk to everyone. Thankfully, Lee sees through the assholish façade and tries to connect with him.

Too bad the story was so short, it lacked depth and character development.
Tailtiu
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3,5* for the story upgrade to 4* because I would like to see more of the guys.
SoCalBookReviews
Jul 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-owned
This one is a pretty quick and low angst book about some firemen.

Lee is a newbie at the firehouse who gets the short end of the stick and is basically forced to visit the "jerk" Dirk in the hospital after he gets hurt on duty saving a baby.

I know everyone hates Dirk for the way he acts, but deep down he's a firefighter who saves people and babies, and seriously no one will visit him when he's stuck in the hospital for weeks. I think that just means that everyone in this book is kind of a jerk in
JR
Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: if you want to be entertained
Shelves: favorites, life, romance, manga
This is my first by Mr. Grey, so this is virgin territory for me. I won't be a stranger to his works after reading this. This was a fun, light read, just what I needed after the past few weeks of personal problems. I quickly got attached to Lee and Dirk. I really wanted the book to be longer, there was so much left to explore, but hey, I still loved it. Dirk's a d-bag fire fighter who is hurt rescuing a child. Lee is a newbie that comes to visit Dirk in the hospital when Lee draws the short str ...more
Sandra
I did like this but there were a few things that annoyed me off the bat.

1) I don't know any firefighters personally but the impression I get is that they are very supportive, and I have a hard time believing no one visited him in the hospital after he nearly died by rescuing a baby from a burning building, no matter how much of an ass he is.

2) We didn't really get to see Dirk be a huge ass, we were just told so. And to be honest, if I'd been in the hospital a week and no one visited, I'd be in
Tami
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Gavin Stephenson-Jackman
Coming out is never easy, even as an adult as Dirk discovers when he falls for Lee. The hardest part of coming out is often coming out to yourself. I find it increasingly difficult to fathom how a parent could ever reject one of their own children as Lee's parents did, yet I know it is happening every day around the globe. One can only hope that it will change, and I hope that by telling our truths we can make change possible.

This was certainly a very good read as I had trouble putting it down.
Trish
this was ok. loved Lee. Dirk was an ass. he meets Lee and
*bam* he's seen the light and his whole attitude changes. it was a little too fast of a transformation.

i understand the author tried to make dirk seem like an ass b/c he was in the closet and the lesson was "if you can't be true to yourself then you will be miserable" however, it seemed like dirk was just miserable to everyone around him...

*mini spoiler* not sure if this is an ongoing series, its HFN. if this is the only story then leavi
Manfred
Andrew Grey is an author, who's books usually don't work for me.
I am reading his books again and again because very often I really like the blurb of his stories, but then the book just isn't right for me. Unfortunately that's exactly what happened here. Although with 2 hunky firefighters the story was not as boring as some other of his books, I didn't really connect with those guys and at the end I didn't really care, that they found their HEA. The whole story didn't make a lot of sense, it felt
DaisyGirl
2.5 Stars

So this one didn't really work for me. Dirk Krause was an asshole but no one showing up to the hospital?!? Uh, no. Way. Lee Stockton was alright but too preachy at times. I liked both of them well enough and God knows I love me some smokin' firefighters but, overall, this book left me feeling ... meh.

Bottom line: I wish I liked it more.
V
Apr 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Susan
May 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z-2012, mm-read
This was an interesting introduction to Dirk and Lee's relationship. We got to know a lot more about Dirk than we did about Lee. I hope that in the next book we can find out a bit more about Lee. I also can't wait to find out what happens when Dirk's father finds out he's gay.
Leaundra
May 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. Loved Dirk and Lee together they were hot...This book was about them working out their relationship Wished it would have been longer:-)The cover is just beautiful!!
Pati
That's an end? Really? .... Nope, sadly it's a to be continued.... If I'd known I would have saved my money.
Jacq ~
Sweet.
Romance
I bumped this from 1 ⭐ to 2 ⭐ just because I finished it. But it has serious problems imho.
1. The author tells us Dirk is an ass but he didn’t act like one from what I could see. Sure, he wasn’t this warm friendly guy but he didn’t really act like an asshole either. tbh I felt like his fellow firefighters were much bigger assholes and babies for not checking in and visiting him at the hospital after he almost died on the job.
2. Lee, the new guy, goes to see him and starts off by saying he’s ther
Wax
Apr 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I actually quite liked this story about Dirk, a closeted firefighter, and Lee, firefighter at the same station. They first meet in the hospital, after Dirk has been injured trying to save a baby. No one else wants to come visit him since he's always been a huge jerk to the others, so Lee, the rookie, gets sent in. Luckily, Lee see something in Dirk that is worth working for. I just wish the story had been a bit longer to get a better feel for the couple.
Jon
Aug 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Career firefighter, tough guy and resident asshole, Dirk Krause, has a big chip on his shoulder, one of his own making, an attitude that has driven everyone around the firehouse crazy. When Dirk is injured on the job while saving a baby from a burning building, his disposition while recuperating in the hospital continues to further alienate his comrades and potential new friends, his only visitor being his father until the new recruit at the station draws the short straw and arrives at the hospi ...more
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
This review was posted at Under the Covers

This was totally an impulse buy. I saw a review for the last book in this series on a blog that I love and follow and being the stickler I am for reading in order, I rushed and bought book one. Loved that it was a short story because I was feeling some m/m withdrawals in between all my "required" review reading so this hit the spot.

However, writing a short story I think has to be hard and as a reader it's difficult to connect on all levels with the story
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Dirk Krause wakes up in a hospital without a clear memory of how he got there. All he knows is that his lungs are on fire and it’s difficult to breathe and to talk. Slowly, he recalls having been involved in rescuing a child from a burning building in his job as a firefighter, but he’s still clueless about how he got out. As time goes by, it’s evident that the guys he works with aren’t going to show up to visit him, probably because Dirk never won any popularity contests, and at times he was dow ...more
Julesmarie
Jun 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, gfy-ofy

For some reason, this got shuffled into my tbr shelf and forgotten about for much longer than it should have been.

I was delightfully surprised at how much I found myself liking the characters and the story. Even Dirk, whom the blurb billed as just this giant asshole. Perhaps I was prepared to hate him more because even several reviews still called him an asshole, but I found him believable and understandable. I thought that having the story start where it did gave us just enough of a g
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Fireman and the Cop (Ellery Mountain, #1)
  • Grey's Hidden Fire (Firehouse Six, #1)
  • We Danced
  • Fireman's Carry (Carry Me #1)
  • Marriage - A Home Series Celebration
  • Beggars and Choosers (Beggars and Choosers, #1)
  • Greeting Cards
  • Fire on the Mountain (Mountain, #1)
  • Fire Balls  (Balls to the Wall, #2)
  • Equilibrium (Equilibrium, #1)
  • Four Corners
  • Touch Me Gently
  • Blue Notes (Blue Notes, #1)
  • Packing Heat
  • Cover Up (Toronto Tales, #2)
  • All Alone in a Sea of Romance
  • On Fire (On Fire, #1)
  • Just Ask

m/m romance author

By Fire (4 books)
  • Strengthened By Fire (By Fire, #2)
  • Burnished by Fire (By Fire, #3)
  • Heat Under Fire (By Fire, #4)