Start by marking “The Devil's Trill Sonata (Vivaldi in the Dark #2)” as Want to Read:
The Devil's Trill Sonata (Vivaldi in the Dark #2)

The Devil's Trill Sonata

(Vivaldi in the Dark #2)

Three years after that first meeting in a theatre storeroom, Jayden Phillips and Darren Peace are separating for the first time, trading in school for the trappings of adult life. Jayden has achieved his dream of a place at Cambridge University; Darren has achieved his own of escaping the Cold War of home and tasting true independence for the first time.

A hundred miles
Published July 30th 2014 by JMS Books LLC (first published March 2nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil's Trill Sonata, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil's Trill Sonata

Start your review of The Devil's Trill Sonata (Vivaldi in the Dark #2)
Baba
Feb 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars.****Review completed March 6, 2014

photo 0736e972-8636-4940-b496-411802247dd8_zps47fc4ce0.png

photo Bildschirmfoto2014-02-04um201713_zps6d50c60d.png

photo tumblr_mdqsk0Qa331rjixpqo1_500_zps272ee806.gif

He wanted this, to stand under scalding hot spray and just hang on. Jayden hugged him like he'd never let go, and swayed them to imaginary music, and Darren was content to go with the flow, stroking water off Jayden's neck and shoulders and pressing lingering, open-mouthed kisses into wet skin as Jayden played with his hair. Eventually, Jayden found his mouth again and stole what little air remained in the tiny bathroom, letting Darren relearn the shape
Barbara
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fab BR with Dorota, Isabel and Tainted Skyee!

It's one of few books, that made me cry a lot, but it was worth every tear!
_________________________________________

"Three years after that first meeting in a theatre storeroom, Jayden Phillips and Darren Peace are separating for the first time... "
 photo 7d1cb5aedb6cfd459a1ff966f095e5a2_zps49f27479.jpg

They knew, they believed that they loved each other enough to survive...but there was still something adrift...

photo tumblr_n27tu85cCR1qctfedo1_400_zps13d55ad8.jpg

Life separate them, and then, Darren felt that all was a pathetic imitation of a
Isabel
BR with Dorota and Barbara, starting at 3/10/2014!!!

This is the story of a dream... a dream that didn't come true!

Jayden and Darren chose different paths after school: Jayden went to Cambridge seeking his dream... and Darren left his parents's home, got a job very far away from Cambridge, keeping the dream that the distance wouldn't end their love!

Distance didn't end their beautiful love! The distance brought angst, suffering, mistrust, jealously, bad choices, bad and good friends... And most of
Kaje Harper
Mar 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, intense, m-m, ya
This book begins three years after Vivaldi in the Dark. Jayden and Darren have made it through school, and now Jayden is off to university at Cambridge. Darren, who has no patience with sitting in classrooms, is starting a course in crime scene analysis, a hundred miles away.

Everyone says high-school romances don't last. The guys are determined to prove them wrong, while secretly being afraid that it may be true. How can love, even as strong as theirs, hold fast against distance and years of
Mark
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absence makes the heart grow fonder or out of sight out of mind? Jayden and Darren have to find this one out for themselves and their relationship is put to the test due to new locations, new beginnings and new friends.

Untitled

School is over and Jayden and Darren have to part ways. Jayden is off to Cambridge University to start his studies after winning his scholarship and Darren has gone to Southampton to start his job training in the police as a crime scene investigator. This rips them apart but
Taintedskyee (Books Books&More Books)
Darkness was always there in form of depression inside Darren' but became prominent when he started playing violin, in his depression and darkness entered a ray of light Jayden who could break through his numbness like no other and became a permanent part of his life.

After three wonderful years together they had to part ways to achieve their dreams.

It had been three years, and Darren believed in love. Believed in a love that had him driving nearly a hundred miles home on his own, pretending he
Lena Grey
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The small, seemingly insignificant things we do every day—the touches, the looks, and the jokes—are important for keeping a couple tuned into one another. Without them, it's easy for distance to dull this sense of oneness; your heart starves for the intimacy it's become accustomed to and remembering hurts too much with no gratification in sight. It can be such a gradual thing that you don't even realize it until it's pulled you so far apart that you wonder if you'll ever be able to put the ...more
Dallie P
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book had me in tears. So amazing.
F.
This is set 3 years after we first met Jayden and Darren in Vivaldi in the Dark. Jayden has acheived his dream and been accepted to Cambridge and Darren is a trainee crime scene investigator. Unfortunately this means that they have to live apart and with each having full timetables it is hard to find time to get together. They Skype, text and phone a lot but start to drift apart as Jayden changes to fit in with the Cambridge crowd.
Darren lets the black dog take control.
A story about growing up,
Nicole Mitchell
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has taken me 7 months to read (the topic it covers is one that has a profound effect on me, so I had to stop for a while), but it was worth it.

Darren is having realy trouble with his depression, and it's documented so painfully and clearly - it's clear that the author know what they're talking about when it comes to depression.

It tackles tough topics, can you stay together as a young couple? How do you manage a long distance relationship? What do you do when the darkness looms heavily
Kelsey's Korner Blog
I'm not really a YA genre lover so this was a challenge for me to read. I took on the challenge easily because the author had been recommended to me from different and reliable sources. I started off with Vivaldi In The Dark where the story begins with two fifteen year old boys dealing with the realisation they were gay. Dealing with puberty, homophobia, parental issues, bullying and depression. The series was very different to what I would normally choose to read but I found it quite intriguing ...more
Karen
Jul 20, 2016 rated it liked it
After being absolutely blown away by the first book, this one was pretty disappointing, in part because the characters changed inexplicably from the end of Vivaldi in the Dark. Darren was an excellent student who was going to become an engineer in book one, and now he is a man who cannot stand to do any more schooling and so becomes a crime scene investigator (where the heck did that come from?). Jayden also becomes much more superficial, trying to impress the people that he clearly doesn't ...more
Manuela

This book was a great follow up to Vivaldi in the Dark. I didn't give it 5 stars because it started maybe too slow, even though I have to admit real life caused me to read the first part of the book very slowly, which didn't help and probably made me feel like the story was more slowly moving than it actually was.
The second part of the book was definitely better. When Darren and Jayden issues started to really come out, the story became more interesting and the pacing more engaging.
I
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: t1
I continued to enjoy Matthew Metzger’s beautiful descriptive writing in the second book of this series. He does an incredible job of conveying what Jayden and Darren are experiencing. So much so, that it was quite sad to me to read about them being apart. I still loved both guys throughout the book, but they were each frustrating at times.

The scenes of Darren’s depression continued to be harrowing, even more so than in the first book. If you never had compassion for sufferers of depression
Mummy's Naughty Corner
May 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, m-m, own, romance
Cover :- 3 stars
Sex/steaminess :- N/A
Story line :- 5 stars
Characters :- 4 stars
Overall rating :- 4 stars

Personal rating :- 4 Stars

Book Pairing:- M/M
Did it give me a book hangover :- No although it did make me think long after I finished
Is this a review book or personal read :- Personal Read

Why I chose this book?

I've read the first and wanted to see what happens next

What I liked about this book.

* Very strong emotional themes used.
* The main characters are normal people that anyone can relate
Nicole
Mar 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story begins a couple of years after Vivaldi in the Dark ends. Jayden is heading off to Cambridge and Darren is off to his training on the coast. This is the story of their struggle to keep their relationship going at a distance. At times I was extremely frustrated with Jayden! But this did not detract from the book. Metzger is such a talented storyteller, and he makes it easy to feel what his characters feel. Darren's depression always felt real and understandable.
Esteban
Jul 20, 2016 rated it liked it
This wasn't better than the first one. In fact, I found it a little boring and innecesary. Althought, it was a good lecture. The Jayden and Darren relationship suffer a big problem, and the distance looked likes is going to be the end.

I hated Jayden in this book. The character was awful, easy to manipulate and a complete idiot. Darren was depressed, and I cant tolerate depressed people - I know I am a bad person -, but at least he had an excuse.
Alexsilverx
I really liked Vivaldi in the Dark and had high expectations for this one. I cannot really explain why I enjoyed this sequel a lot less, cause it is as well written as the first part. I simply could not feel so much sympathy for Jayden and Darren as in VitD anymore and therefore wasn't dragged into the story as emotionally as I had hoped. 3.5 stars.
Lea
May 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh. My. God. My heart is just about wrung out tbqh. I quite possibly loved this book more than the first which is saying a lot. Every word of it just seemed heartrendingly real and beautifully bittersweet.
Mare SLiTsReaD Reviews
Will review on blog tour with book 2
Kriss Raudsepp
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow, somehow I liked the second book more than first one. It was dark and moody and all what the description said it would be. I loved that book - could not put it down for second.
JN
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: college, mm-romance, na, series
4.5
Not fun but good.
Ppit
Nov 25, 2018
Kirmizi
rated it did not like it
Jan 24, 2017
Sep 18, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Boy Shattered
  • When Everything Is Blue
  • Afterimage (In the Company of Shadows, #2)
  • String Boys
  • Fake Out (Fake Boyfriend, #1)
  • Perfect Day (New Milton #1)
  • Hell and Gone
  • Family Camp (Daddy Dearest, #1)
  • Single Malt (Agents Irish and Whiskey, #1)
  • Perfect Imperfections
  • Love Around the Corner (New Milton #1.5)
  • Goalie Interference (Hat Trick, #2)
  • Where Death Meets the Devil (Death and the Devil, #1)
  • Why the Devil Stalks Death (Death and the Devil, #2)
  • Where Death Meets the Devil: Coda (Death and the Devil #1.2)
  • Diamonds (Life According to Maps, #2)
  • Maps (Life According to Maps, #1)
  • Gemini Keeps Capricorn (Signs of Love, #3)
Matthew is an asexual, transgender author from the wet and windy British Isles.

Matt writes LGBT novels, both adult and young adult, and particularly enjoys digging into the weird and wonderful diversity of people all across the sexuality and gender spectrums. When not writing, Matt is usually asleep, or crunching numbers at his day job. Free time is not really a concept here.

He is also owned by an

Vivaldi in the Dark (4 books)
  • Vivaldi in the Dark (Vivaldi in the Dark, #1)
  • Rhapsody on a Theme (Vivaldi in the Dark #3)
  • Vivaldi in the Dark Box Set