Start by marking “Entrepreneurship for Human Flourishing” as Want to Read:
Entrepreneurship for Human Flourishing

Entrepreneurship for Human Flourishing

In our efforts to reduce poverty and advance human flourishing, we are often quick to glorify the "noble nonprofit," while viewing entrepreneurship and enterprise as amoral at best. In Entrepreneurship for Human Flourishing, Chris Horst and Peter Greer of HOPE International argue that such a posture neglects the very engine of human flourishing--whatever their size or form ...more
Published July 15th 2014 by AEI Press

To ask other readers questions about Entrepreneurship for Human Flourishing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Entrepreneurship for Human Flourishing

Start your review of Entrepreneurship for Human Flourishing
Isaac Ezell
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow. This book is a must read for the business owner and the philanthropist. Horst and Greer go deep and engage emotion in this small volume outlining the macro-economic progress that entrepreneurship has brought about in the last 100 years. This book is for those of us that are tempted to think that our work in the business world is somehow less honorable or meaningful than Peace Corps volunteers or non-profit CEOs.
Reid
This is quite and interesting little book.

The writers build the moral case for free enterprise. The make the case that entrepreneurialism is the long-term hope of the poor. Across the world. In every country. "Business isn't secondary in helping the poor; it is primary." p7

Few people rise out of poverty with government help. Most do it through small business, micro-business.

"Entrpeneurialship occurs when people use their God-given skills and talents to create and grow organizations."p7

"The my
Austin
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Short and sweet. If you're not familiar with the concept it is a good intro to the value of micro-finance and savings organizations. 4-stars by default (basic but short) although there are similar books by Peter Greer I'd recommend more.
Dave
Sep 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Decent summary. Heavy on capitalism but hits some strong points in job training and importance of small business enterprise and having ethical big business.
Paul Hernandez
Aug 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Solid read. Does not dive deep with ideas but explores how business and entrepreneurship are essential to thriving society
Candice
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
In this mini-book, Chris Horst and Peter Greer encourage businesses to be involved in their community. They challenge young startups to overcome the sacred/secular divide and integrate their faith into their businesses and communities. Entrepreneurship is essential for human flourishing. Providing employment is much more beneficial in the long run for communities than material goods and services. “Charity is at its best when it complements the private sector, when it temporarily assists those wh ...more
Amy
Mar 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Peter Greer challenges the distinction between "for profit" and "non-profit" companies in helping people around the world. He share stories of individuals who used their "for profit" companies to provide jobs, expand education, and bring life to communities.
I have now heard Peter Greer speak several times and I'm so glad this book came out. It is a powerful message and one I hope people, especially within the church, will take to heart. "Non-profit" does not equal super holy compared to "for pr
Stacy
Apr 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Kristen Cray
Oct 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I mean, it's everything I care about. Just not very practical.
Madar Timea
Dec 21, 2018
Thomas
May 30, 2015

• No Country for Old Men
  • The Utopia of Rules: On Technology, Stupidity, and the Secret Joys of Bureaucracy
  • Neuromancer (Sprawl, #1)
  • Why I'm No Longer Talking to White People About Race
  • Survivor
  • Invisible Monsters
  • One Person, No Vote: How Voter Suppression Is Destroying Our Democracy
  • Libra
  • The Art of Neighboring: Building Genuine Relationships Right Outside Your Door
  • To Hell and Back: Europe 1914-1949