Start by marking “Hammer and Bone” as Want to Read:
Hammer and Bone

Hammer and Bone

The purest evil lives in the hearts of men.

Carnival mystics. Zombie tribes. Bad magic in the Bayou. Mage-princes, alien cities, and soul-stealing priests. The grim monsters in the worlds of these dark, speculative tales are true horrors, but it’s the people you should fear the most.

People like Michel, a boy pining for his best friend, Ray. But a presence in the swamp call
Published March 2nd 2015 by Riptide Publishing (first published February 28th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Hammer and Bone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hammer and Bone

Mel
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
So, these are all shorts. I first thought they were somehow connected, and they are, just not as I thought they were. I thought these were all set in the same world, but they are not, rather connected by a theme. The theme of choice.

Crank

Life wasn't fair. Bellew knew this, and knew still that it was all the life he had, fair or not. He loved it as fierce as the pretty, fortunate children in the steel towers far away from the pit bosses of the crank mills loved theirs. He just loved it differe
Xing
Aug 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
You know those deliciously dark stories that start out as a 4-5 star read, but gets loss in the sink hole of last minute sappiness that leaves you with a 1 star aftertaste? Well, Hammer and Bone is NOT that kind of story! Or I should say "stories" (plural). This anthology is a collection of dark, bleak fiction given life through Kirby Crow's magnificent prose.

Some have happy endings. Some have bad endings. And others, I can't really tell, but just went with it. But the common theme of it all is
Kristie
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this very much. Going into the reading, I really didn't have a good idea of what I was to expect. Anything I had expected was blown out of the water by the second story. Beautiful and tragic, the writing is gorgeous, filled with foreshadowing, and with every story I became more and more involved in the worlds where these characters lived, the trials they faced, and the choices they made.

By the end of the last story it finally hit me that these were all about choices. The ability to choo
Wart Hill
Aug 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
thinking of preordering the paperback because omg that cover xD

Preordered the paperback <3

Guess what came in the mail when I wasn't paying attention!

You can find this and other reviews at Things I Find While Shelving

I’m not entirely sure how to disclaim this one. Because there’s kind of a story behind how I got it. I was browsing Riptide because I browse Riptide a lot because I love Riptide and can usually find Things I Want (Actually, the reason I joined NetGalley was largely so I could read
Maarja
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a collection of unconnected short stories, so it's really difficult to rate, because I liked some of the stories more and some less. Overall, though, most of them were quite intriguing, either from the world-building point of view or because of the characters, so 4 stars seems about right. Several of them offered food for thought for a longer time, with the difficult decisions the characters faced and the moral gray areas presented in them. I enjoyed the whole experience even more, thank ...more
Ami
Aug 07, 2014 marked it as my-issues-not-yours  ·  review of another edition
No rating because I am going to chalk it up to the "me-not-the-book" case.

When I requested the ARC, I didn't really pay attention that it would be a collection of short stories. I admit, I asked only because I loved the cover :p. I guess with this kind of dark/fantasy setting, I couldn't exactly enjoy it as short stories.

I prefer to have significant length so I could be eased into the complexity of the world, the characters, and to enjoy the flow from beginning to end. Oh, and I couldn't count
Lala
An extra star for the author's creativity in coming up with these stories.

So many different stories..various genres, various settings. Some are romances, some are not at all. They have one trait in common, though - each one packs a hell of an emotional punch.

Crank

This one was my least favorite, mostly because of the confusing world-building. I got lost trying to make sense of it. There was some romance, though..and despite the poor odds, there was maybe just a hint of hope for the heroes. 3 st
G.B. Gordon
This is classic Crow. The sable beauty of her language adorns every story with the delicate allure of belladonna. Beckoning, sussurating, hypnotizing, leaving you by turns heartbroken, ecstatic, or simply wrung out. But once you've tasted it, you'll always crave more.

My soundtrack for this: Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, "Henry's Dream".
amomentsilence
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to amomentsilence by: Netgalley
4.5 Stars of holy, frigging, what in the gods' names did I read, that was power perfection!

.5 Stars short of true perfection though because there wee a couple stories I wasn't so into, or that I felt fell short of her usual writing splendor. But all in all, what a twisted, dark, revolting tantalizing collection of stories! Definitely getting me a print copy off this to go on my shelf, ASAP!

*will rate and review each story later*
Selina Kyle
4.5 stars, rounded up to 5 because I can see myself re-reading this more than once.

What I love about short story collections is that they can cover more themes and angles than a full-length novel. What I don't love about them is that I never know how to review them. But this is a really good collection and I have an ARC in exchange for an honest review so I'll do my best and just talk about some of the specific stories.

Crank

This story reminded me of a Dickens novel. Poverty, child labor, abuse,
Alisa
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was the most unique book I've read in a long, long time. It was my first time reading this author and I was mesmorized by the end of the first story. There is something both beautiful and haunting in the way this author writes.

This is a collection of short stories and each is dramatically different but they're all really good. These stories are dark in nature and they don't all have happy endings. While there is love in each one I would not catorgize them as romances. There is everything fr
Lotta
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These stories were so dark, and so well thought out. Perfect for multiple readings, as there were many layers. Most stories were all show, no tell, and in the limited scope of each story, the author managed to build worlds and create believable characters.
Laylah Hunter
Good lord, that was lovely. And terrible, and wrenching, and vivid. Kirby Crow has an absolutely luscious command of language, and there are some seriously kicker endings in here. A note for readers who find this through the publishing house: this is not a book of romances. It's a series of dark fantasy and horror short stories whose protagonists are queer in one way or another. Not everyone is going to be okay, and not every evil is going to be vanquished. But if you go in with that expectation ...more
Susan Laine
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Just wow. What a freaking journey this was! When it comes to world-building, Crow is a master of her craft. An imaginative collection of weird tales that suck you into their dark fantasy world and won't let you leave without a couple of dents in your heart and a fond memory of every character in each different world. Taking these stories beyond expectations, the author delivers us stories with happy endings and far-less-than happy endings, and both gay and lesbian pairings. Sad and bleak an ...more
~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~
★★★★☆ ~ 4 Stars
Very good anthology. Each story was different and unique world-building for such short stories. Some sad, some uplifting, each different in its own way. This was my dabble into this new author to me and I plan to read more.

Thanks for the borrow, Nancy!
Nova
Sep 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

A great collection of dark stories. You get exactly what you are promised!
Coni
Nov 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hangfire 5 Stars!!!!

Francesca
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
truly beautifully written stories.
Lorraine
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The language used in this collection is absolutely beautiful.
Haldoor42
Oct 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
A collection of short stories set in mostly apocalyptic-type worlds; some are very harsh and unforgiving. Quite different, but perhaps even better-written than her White Wolf stories. I enjoyed it very much, especially the title story, and the one about the zombie-type world where two young girls come across another female who is supposedly infected but doesn't quite act like the other infected people.
Gervan
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
This book was not what I expected. Overall I was expecting paranormal LGBT romance but of the six stories that I read I only liked two or three. And that was barely. There is one story I would not mind re-reading however and that is Hangfire. It was definitely my favorite of the collection and would be interested in a full blown version.
Amber
Apr 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m-paranormal
This is a mixed bag of stories some m/m some f/f and some that really don't have pairings. Overall they are fairly dark stories and some of them were a little confusing or ended abruptly. I really liked Crank and Hangfire but the rest were just average stories for me.
Sylvia
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dark and poignant
Evaine
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My thoughts on Hammer and Bone are over on my book blog at BookLikes.
Elisa Rolle
Aug 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Hammer and Bone by Kirby Crow: http://reviews-and-ramblings.dreamwid... 2015 Rainbow Awards Honorable Mention (5* from at least 1 judge)
Colette
Feb 29, 2016
Helena Olsson
Aug 23, 2016
tenesha taylor
rated it did not like it
Dec 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Prosperity (Prosperity, #1)
  • My Haunted Blender's Gay Love Affair, and Other Twisted Tales
  • Santuario (Santuario, #1)
  • Highfell Grimoires
  • Bump in the Night
  • It's All Geek to Me
  • Gabriel's City: A Tale of Fables and Fortunes
  • Irregulars
  • The Druid Stone (Layers of the Otherworld, #1)
  • The Circus of the Damned
  • A Matter of Disagreement (Mechanical Universe #1)
  • Lying with Scorpions (Memory of Scorpions #2)
  • King of Dublin
  • The Dream Alchemist (Somnus, #1)
  • In a Dark Wood (In a Dark Wood, #1)
  • Fragile Bond
  • Home the Hard Way
  • Pretty Monsters (Josh of the Damned, #1)
Kirby Crow worked as an entertainment editor and ghostwriter for several years before happily giving it up to bake brownies, read yaoi, play video games, and write her own novels. Whenever she isn't slaying Orcs or flying a battleship for the glory of the Amarr Empire, she can be found in the kitchen, her vegetable garden, or at the keyboard, tapping away at her next book.

Kirby is a winner of the
“He was a wraith of the factories, skinny and tall, with a wobbling gait that broadcast his deformed legs.” 1 likes