Start by marking “The Spirit Heir (A Dance of Dragons, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Spirit Heir (A Dance of Dragons, #2)

The Spirit Heir

(A Dance of Dragons #2)

From bestselling author Kaitlyn Davis comes the second book in the thrilling A Dance of Dragons series—perfect for fans of Sarah J. Maas, Kristin Cashore, and Tamora Pierce!

Drenched in darkness and surrounded by the echo of screams, Jinji waits deep in the dungeons of Rayfort, haunted by the memory of the knife stabbing Rhen, plagued by a foreign voice whispering through h
Published October 30th 2014

To ask other readers questions about The Spirit Heir, please sign up.
Kaitlyn Davis Hi, Jane! Thanks for asking! I'm working on the last book and last two novellas in the series right now, and am hoping to have them published over the…moreHi, Jane! Thanks for asking! I'm working on the last book and last two novellas in the series right now, and am hoping to have them published over the summer/early fall 2015! Here's a list of the entire A Dance of Dragons series in order:

0.5: The Golden Cage (novella)
1: The Shadow Soul (full-length novel)
1.5: The Silver Key (novella)
2: The Spirit Heir (full-length novel)
2.5: Untitled Novella #3 -- coming early Summer 2015
3: The Phoenix Born (full-length novel) -- coming late summer/early fall 2015
3.5: Untitled Novella #4 -- coming late summer/early fall 2015

I hope you enjoy the rest of the books in the series! Thank you!(less)

Start your review of The Spirit Heir (A Dance of Dragons, #2)
Marjolein

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

The Spirit Heir suffered from second book syndrome. It started off okay, with Jinji in prison and a general chaos, but soon it became rather predictable. My biggest problem was that it didn't feel like I was reading any thing new.

This was not to say that I didn't enjoy myself when I was reading it. I still didn't have a great idea of what the world was really looking like, and some of the rules where rather unclear as well.

Jinj
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review, fantasy
Jinji is imprisoned in the dungeons, unsure of what is going to happen to her and if Rhen is alive. Above her in the castle Rhen is in a coma, but when he wakes he finds his world has changed. His father and oldest brother are dead, leaving his new born nephew as king, and his best friend Jin is actually a woman. With enemies surrounding them, and Jin and Rhen growing closer, they must work together, as the fate of humanity is in their hands.

The Spirit Heir is a really good sequel to The Shadow
Kaitlyn Davis
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
The date it set--October 30th! Can't wait to share The Spirit Heir with you all, I hope you love it! ...more
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
Man this series gets better with each book (or novella!) I totally saw both of the twists coming but I didn't care at all! I still loved it! Moving on to me next novella now! ...more
Eva Müller
"And at least soldiers chose to fight, chose to risk their lives in combat"

Do you really want to go there? Are you really saying that in ye olde pseudo-medieval fantasy world everybody joined the army because they just loved fighting/their country/both so much. Nobody did it out of necessity, because they couldn't find another job but needed the money or just because it was a family tradition or simply anything but Duty. Honor. Courage.?
Nope. Our soldiers are the good ones, our enemies have the
Deborah
Oct 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Where should I start? With the fully rounded out multi-dimensional characters? Or the ever-expanding yet utterly easy-to-follow layers upon layers of plot?
Unlike the prequel novella (The Golden Cage) and book 1 (The Shadow Soul), I didn’t have the luxury to read this in one sitting. But no matter – every time I picked it up, I was instantaneously sucked right back into the adventures, dilemmas, and emotions of this awesomely drawn tale.
The end of Book 1, ‘The Shadow Soul’, set up a totally new
Becca
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This series just keeps getting better. When this book came up for review I jumped at it. I loved the first book, and the second book was even better.

Rhen has been stabbed and lies in a coma. Jinji lies in the dungeons of Rhen's kingdom. The world has changed. Rhen wakes up to the knowledge that his best friend Jin is actually a woman. He cannot separate the friend from the woman. Rhen demands to know where she is and finds her in the dungeons. Letting his King know that he owes Jinji his life,
Caitlin S. Doyle
Jul 06, 2015 rated it liked it
ARRRGHHHH!!!!!!
The end of the book really annoyed me. Throughout the book when it was mentioned the shadow had its own body I knew that it would be Janu, so that bit was really predictable, but to me Jinji isn't the sort of person who would risk the lives of EVERYBODY just to keep her brother alive.
Also, leading up to the end, Jinji and Rhen had finally shown each other their feelings and everything seemed to be going well (other than the fact that Rhen's family would probably die) and then Jin
Olivia
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
im sorry but no.. this is not a good second book.

the romance is just cringeworthy.

the alternating POV is starting to get old and I feel as though the writer i just using it as fodder when he explains a scene from both sides. Enough already!

The premise of this world, its magic and politics is quite interesting (even if the 'kingdoms' come across as warring villages, not nations) and showed promise in book 1 but just too much wrong with this one to forgive.

sorry..
Sandra "Jeanz"
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant!
INITIAL THOUGHTS
So I finished reading The Silver Key and am now desperate to know what will happen next to the characters of Princess Leenaka, Prince Whylrhen, and Jinji which I am quite "invested in" now.

MY REVIEW
I had discussed doing a promotional post on my blog about this brilliant book series with the author, who also generously provided me with a copy of The Shadow Soul (though this title has been on offer "Free" for a period of time too) in exchange for my honest opinion in the
Karla
Aug 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite the insta-love and romance that seemingly came from out nowhere, the story felt like a continuation of the first book, and the story read smoothly too-it was easier to get into the story and actually quicker to finish.

One of the things that bothered me was that there was a lot of smirking: he smirked, she smirked, they smirked at each other, I swear it was like at least a dozen that I've read, but apparently the search tool on Kindle said it was only 5.

During the last half of the book,
C.Q. Sinclair
While I actively purchased the entire series so that I could binge it. I found that after this book the story became predictable, disappointing, ill-conceived, and ultimately, dull. I noticed that the reasoning behind my binging wasn't that it was such a good story, it was that it had the immense potential to be an epic. I was right on the brink of climax... and then I was let down, abruptly and completely. So much character development was left entirely to mystery, (and not in a good) and the r ...more
Margaret Stevens
This story starts with Rhen in a coma after being stabbed and Jinji locked away in the dungeon. As it progresses, the author shows us how much these characters have grown and matured. I have always felt it was the mark of a very good author to note how the characters have grown, deepened and matured, and this author depicts these things very well indeed. The relationship between them is also growing, deepening and maturing, and we get to participate in that as we read. We get to pursue new magic ...more
Jan farnworth
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
wow this series just keeps you guessing, i was worried this book would suffer from being the second book but nope with reading the novellas along with the regular books the action just keeps coming. The plot twists in this story are amazing and i did not totally see them coming i got a hint of what i thought would happen but did not totally guess it. I also liked that their are plenty of hot stopping moments when if you were watching it as a movie your heart would be in your throat and you be on ...more
Violet H Harmon
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic fantasy

Book one in this series was an enjoyable book to read. It made me eager to read book two. It didn’t disappoint as the interesting characters developed and grew. The suspense has grown also. Now in book three the question will be. Will the evil anger sprit win and end the lives of humans? Or will humans with the help of their good sprits prevail?
Tina
Mar 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really like it until the end, then the end made me doubt if I want to keep reading the upcoming drama and heartbreak that is predicted. If anyone can tell me if its worth it, that would be greatly appreciated!
Gina Guerra
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this story. It has some really good elements to it, but it feels too short. It feels as though some major plot points were brushed over or not written entirely. It was just a little disappointing.
Debra
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense, fantasy
The traitors in the castle have been defeated, but their armies will soon surround the city. The Outhurri ships will soon command the harbor. Princess Lena has arrived with the enemy battle plans. Rhen is being sent away to preserve the bloodline. He will help Jinji search for the Shadow.
Yvonne
Keeping all of the players straight (spirits, dragons, humans, etc.) is a bit of a distraction, but the story's compelling enough to make it a fairly minor distraction. ...more
Rosepetal78
It was ok. The best part was the end as pieces of the story started falling together. Liked the first book way more. Will read third book.
Debbie Turk
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A tense & gripping read. I much preferred this book to the previous one 👍

Debbie, 1970, UK
Jasmin
2-2.5 stars

DNF 66%

I lost interest - reading this book became a chore.
Lynda G Watson
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

Plenty to keep you turning the pages. Fully developed characters, you can feel the emotions with each decision made to sacrifice their own happiness.
Emilia
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
A spiritual and magical sequel

This book. I didn't think it could be better than the first, but it was. I loved, loved, loved the progression of the characters and the way the story unfolded. In this sequel, there's a change in the relationship between Jinji and Rhen. Rhen now knows that his best friend is a girl and with that knowledge comes new feelings that were so beautiful. These two are perfect, their love is perfect, everything about the way it progressed was perfect. It wasn't instalove o
Angelspearl
Feb 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
The book picks up right where we left off. Rhen’s kingdom and family was attacked and the shadow was about to kill Rhen when Jinji stopped it and got awesomely struck by some super lightening. So usually I would do a very quick summary of the story but this book is just too intricate for me to even do a short summary. There is no way I can exclude spoilers so I will just get on with my verbal rant on what I liked about the book.

This book is just totally amazing. There are soo many layers with a
Maghon Thomas
OH EM GEE!! Ms Davis is trying to kill me. I cannot believe the ending of this one. And I should have guessed it would be crazy with how the first book ended. So this one is just as action packed, and just as fun, but now we're digging a little deeper. Jin isn't a dude anymore, everyone knows she's a chick. Things are different. And Rhen, well he pretty much died, almost, so things are a little more serious for him. I love how he's growing by the way. And Jin is as well.

So let's talk Jin, aka J
~ Rose ~ ☯Desert Rose❀
description

The first book in this series was completely intense, and introduced some incredible characters. They embark on an epic adventure, full of action and nail-biting suspense. The ending left me desperate for the sequel, hoping it was just as good, and incredibly curious as to what would happen with Jinji and Rhen. This book did not disappoint, and if anything, I liked it even more than the first!

These characters grew in so many ways throughout this book, and became more than their pasts and secrets
Kirke
Oct 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: review
*I received a copy from the author in exchange for an honest review and do not read this review if you haven't read the previous book*

So last time we saw Rhen and Jinji one of them was dying and the other one thrown in jail. Now luckily Rhen is still alive, but has been out of commission for a while and therefor Jinji has been in jail all that time. By the way, her secret is also out and that makes things awkward for a while between her and Rhen. Things get worked out, though the dark shadow is
Kerr
Jan 15, 2015 rated it liked it

Full review can also be found on: Paein and Ms4Tune’s Book Blog

I was desperate to read this one after the ending of The Shadow Soul but when I got to the end I was so disappointed. They were doing so well! But they finally fell into the second-book trap. Y'know, where they're a couple but they're not because they're too focused on their personal issues instead of helping each other. And this inevitably forms a rift and the world ends and yeah, I hate that. AND just when the dragons were actual
Laura Navello
I’m sorry, but I didn’t like this book as much as the first one. It feels as though I have read the story before… it is sooo similar to millions of other stories that you actually know what is going to happen while reading.

The story starts with Rhen recovering from his injury and saving Jinji from prison. There is some melodrama about him forgiving her for lying about being a girl, but thankfully it doesn’t last long. Enemies are prepared to attack from every direction, so the new king orders Rh

• Dawn of Darkness (The Riven Kingdoms #3)
  • Age of Auroras (The Riven Kingdoms Book 4)
  • Soulbound (Return of the Elves, #1)
  • Red Rope of Fate (The Elves of Lessa, #1)
  • Guardian Of Magick (Cambrexian Realm, #2)
  • Shades Of Magick (Cambrexian Realm, #3)
  • The Queen's Gambit (Rogue Queen, #1)
  • The Queen's Advantage (Rogue Queen, #2)
  • Crown of Secrets (The Hidden Mage, #1)
  • The Last Ward (Cambrexian Realm, #0.5)
  • Wraith (The Scarred Mage of Roseward, #3)
  • A Castle to Keep (Militess & Mage, #2)
  • Prisoner (The Scarred Mage of Roseward, #2)
  • The Bones Beneath (Militess & Mage, #3)
  • Fierce Heart (Elven Alliance #1)
  • Reign of Magic (The Fairy Tale Enchantress, #3)
  • Destined for Eternity (Dark Destiny, #3)
  • Destined for Shadows: Book 1 (Dark Destiny Series)
Bestselling author Kaitlyn Davis writes young adult fantasy novels under the name Kaitlyn Davis and contemporary romance novels under the name Kay Marie. Publishers Weekly has said, "Davis writes with confidence and poise," while USA Today has recommended her work as "must-read romance."

To learn more about her contemporary romance novels, visit her Goodreads author page for Kay Marie here: https:

A Dance of Dragons (3 books)
  • The Shadow Soul (A Dance of Dragons, #1)
  • The Phoenix Born (A Dance of Dragons, #3)