Start by marking “The Secrets Women Keep” as Want to Read:
The Secrets Women Keep

The Secrets Women Keep

Rose waits for her family to arrive at their villa in Tuscany when a casual glance at her husband's phone tips her world upside down. The text reads simply: 'Miss you. Love you. Come back soon.'

Daniel has always been popular with women, she knows that. But until this moment she has had no cause for worry. Has something shifted within their marriage without her realising?

As
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published July 31st 2014 by Orion Publishing (first published July 4th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Secrets Women Keep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secrets Women Keep

Start your review of The Secrets Women Keep
Shizette
Mar 22, 2015 rated it did not like it
I thought it was a good concept but it dragged on with trivial details for far too long. For this reason alone it was the opposite of a 'page-turner'.
Silver Thistle
This is probably a good book. It's just not a good book for me.

After a really slow start it just meandered along to the end and never really engaged me or captured my interest. I found it really hard to keep going with this one. I'm still not sure why it's called 'The Secrets Women Keep' it would have made more sense if it was 'The Secrets HUSBAND'S keep'. That was what the whole story revolved around, Rose's husband's secret. I didn't really have any interest in her husband's secret though, to
Beverly Payne
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
What started as a good story then became very slow - took me longer than I thought to finish - wouldn't recommend it and the ending was a bit odd like it wasn't really finished.
Beth Cooksey
Mar 24, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book boring and the characters basically lacked character and were unlikeable.
Anne Brooke
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book is achingly slow with no strong characters. It could have been cut by at least half, easily. The plot is also full of cliches and highly unrealistic. The two lead women were irritating - to say the least! - and the daughters were horrendously selfish and childish - even though they were adults. The 'solution' at the end made me laugh as it was all so ridiculous. Really, I didn't care enough. The descriptions were nice though!
Maggie
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Off to read more of Fanny Blake.
Carol Peace
May 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to be given this book pre publication for revising http://www.lovereading.co.uk/

A great book from the 1st line right to the very last. Rose is married to Daniel and they have had a good life together having two daughters and a place in Tuscany and a hotel in Cornwall. The family holiday is the highlight of their year. It means they can all get together alongside Rose's brother Terry and her best friend Eve who just happens to be married to him. This year things turn out rather
Felicity Terry
Essentially the story of Rose, her best friend, Eve, who also happens to be her sister-in-law and their spouses. The Secrets Women Keep is a tale of what goes on behind closed doors, the story revolving around relationships full of deceit and half truths. The adage 'Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practise to deceive' summing it up perfectly.

Though starting out well (I'd even go as far as to say it was quite refreshing to have a novel in which things weren't all hunky-dory, the
Becca  ☾☁︎⋆ (PrettyLittleMemoirs.com)
The Secrets Women Keep was a breath of fresh air, something lovely to read on a Summer's day or a beach-read. Blake writes with enthralling words that really hold your attention throughout the plot, twisting out of the genres; romance, mystery, sadness and humour.
I felt there was a certain entertaining factor and wise aspect of the novel and was written with something so realistic that it painted a vision for how it would appear, something that helped me sympathise and understand the plot and
Bookread2day
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A family full of troubles while they are on holiday. Rose finds a text message on her husbands phone saying Miss you come back soon. Is her husband dating some one else? is so Who is her husband dating?.Rose's brothers wife Eve gets a phone call while on holiday to say sorry she is retiring. Eve is not retiring from her job. Who put this rumor around the office and why? I love reading fiction novels about trouble within a fictional marriage.
Marija
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
It started off so good, and then in the middle it got a bit slow. Somehow it didn't pull me back in. I hoped for something more. Also at times I lost track of who was doing or saying something.
The point of the story was good (marriage; affairs; family relationships..), but it just wasn't that exciting to me, something was missing.
Claire mcmanus
Jul 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
finished in a day really enjoyed
Mandy Smith
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Corinne
Apr 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
I read the book very slowly because it could not grab my attention at any time, and still cannot understand the main point of the book. All the main female characters keep secrets (as the title suggests) and the only twist in the book can be seen from a mile away. There are no surprises at the end (that I could think of) and could not believe it when the book ended as it did.
Bex
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A meaty novel dealing with the life and loves of a family struggling to come to terms with difficult issue. Felt myself swept along in the storyline and found some unusual twists along the way.
Lori
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it ...more
June Jones
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting topic, and one which a few women could sympathise with, a page turner.
Rachel Gilbey
Aug 12, 2014 rated it liked it
I had high hopes for this new book by Fanny Blake, having previously enjoyed 2 of her other books. However I felt that this wasn't quite as good as those, and a bit of a slow burner. Once I was into the story, about half way through, I realised I was enjoying it, and that the first 200 pages were mainly setting everything up.

The Secrets Women Keep features quite a large family, since the main characters Rose and Eve are slightly more mature women. They both have grown up children, and in Rose's
Elisabeth
Mar 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At their villa in Tuscany, Rose, who has been married Daniel for many years, accidently looks at his phone she sees a text which will make her question does she really know the man she has been married to all these years? Who was the text from? What did it mean? This chance look at her husband's phone threatens to jeopardise the family gathering at the villa and cracks begin to appear in the family that from the outside appears to be perfect.
However, just round the corner is an event which
Edel
May 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story is set in the idyllic French countryside at the beginning of a family holiday. The female narrator of the story is called Rose and she is married to Daniel. While preparing for the arrival of some of her guests and family Rose finds out some shocking news that shakes her to her core. The story then takes us on a journey as this woman/wife/mother deals with what has happened. Rose is a very strong character , her family is her life, but until all that came under threat I don't think she ...more
John
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the first of Fanny Blake's books that I've read. It wont be the last either.
I am definitly not the target demographic for this genre, but I enjoyed it imensely. Fanny has a wonderfully evocative and elegant prose style. When she describes a Tuscan villa garden, you are there, smelling the trees and blossom, and feeling the sun on your back.

The Secrets Women Keep is a story of two women, Rose and Eve, friends and sisters-in-law, their loves and families, both old and new.
The characters
Laura Head
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved the description in this novel, it's made me want to book a trip to Italy right now. I enjoy stories surrounding the family so for me this book was an instant winner. Unfortunately I guessed the twist pretty early on in the novel, however I didn't feel as though the story was spoilt. The last section of the novel where it jumps forward dragged a lot, you could almost have removed it from the book and not missed anything.
Angie Rhodes
Mar 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Rose by accident, catches a text on her husband Dan's phone, Miss you,, and is left realing, is Dan cheating on her? or is it simply an innocent text,sent to the wrong person? on top of this is her obnoxious daughter,who thinks, "daddy" should just keep giving her money, for one air brained scheme after another, , and then there's Rose brother and sister-in -law, all down to spend a holiday with them. I enjoyed this book,with its many twists and turns,
Cathy Ellison
Aug 20, 2016 rated it liked it
I had already guessed the outcome of this book a few pages in. That left no surprises to look forward too. It had a happy ending though, which counted for something. The highlights were the readers visit to Casa Rose. I wanted to be there so badly! A generally ok read, not one that I would repeat though
Lindsay Hartgroves
Loved this book. Set first in Italy, then London then Cornwall, it meanders through the complicated lives of the members of an extended family. Rose, the matriarch figure has, not only the love lives of her two daughters to deal with, but that of her late husband and her sister! A very satisfying read with a whimsical ending.
Jessica Powell
Aug 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a great summer read about families and relationships, and how we shouldn't take either for granted. The plot was predictable, but no less enjoyable for it!

* I received my copy via a Goodreads giveaway.
Sandra Ashford
Sep 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book and it shows how your world can be turned upside down in a split second. Unanswered questions but thankfully Rose did find the answer. I felt sorry for her as the person she loved turned out to be someone he wasn't. A great holiday read
Dianne Selwood
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed reading this book, about the complications that surround any family and how important family can be. I did guess the twist quite early on though, but that didn't stop me enjoying this. I was firstly drawn to the book because of its settings in Italy and Cornwall.
Carolin
Jul 12, 2016 rated it liked it
A nice little read although it wasn't easy to get into it all at first. The story line takes a funny twist and I did like how the novel reminded us of what's important in life: family, good friends, food and wine :).

Julie
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
On the face of it, this book ought to be called The Secrets Men Keep. I really enjoyed this book which is about Rose and her family principally but also about her brother Terry - married to Rose's best friend Eve - and his family. Lots going on and one secret that you just don't see coming....
Maxime
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I spent the last couple of summery afternoons Absolutely glued to this book!! I had trouble putting it down great storyline hugely entertaining thoroughly recommend as a great summer read.
Elly
Apr 16, 2015 rated it liked it
I read this book based on a recommendation. It was an easy read. Definitely a chick lit Summer read. But I needed something to read and this worked.
Teena
Jan 15, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this family saga, though it was predictable in parts and a bit 'softer' than the books I usually enjoy. Probably a 3 1/2 star book for me.
Emma Ingram
This book was a bit slow going at first and it took me a while to get into it. I did think about giving up but someone told me it has a surprise so I carried on am am pleased I did once I got into it I loved it and loved all the characters. .,
Lydia Lewis
Sep 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Interesting read. The characters were well fleshed out, but ultimately, pretty predictable.
Leanne Riley
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A great book for reading on a lovely summers day, I couldn't put it down.
Jo
Aug 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First book by this author. Certainly wasn't expecting some of the twists in this novel set in Cornwall.
Helen
TOSH!
Tracy Sims
Enjoyable summer read
Nina Draganova
Инфантилна, предсказуема, скучна. Уви, не мога да си спестя мнението.Нереалистична също. Абсолютна заблуда е това, че на жените след определена възраст могат да им се случват такива неща.
Toni
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fair book. I liked it a bit more from the middle to the end. Lot's of emphasis's on describing the weather, a tree, etc...
Valerie

• The Little Village Christmas
  • The Summer House in Santorini
  • The Butterfly Room
  • The Lemon Tree Hotel
  • Three Days in Florence: the perfect romantic and feel-good read this September
  • Under A Cornish Sky
  • One Minute Later
  • Sunshine and Sweet Peas in Nightingale Square
Fanny Blake was a publisher for many years, editing fiction and general non-fiction before becoming a freelance journalist and writer. She has written several bestsellers and acted as ghost writer for a number of celebrities. She is also Books Editor of womanandhome magazine. Her novels include The Secrets Women Keep (Orion) and With a Friend Like You (Orion).
“Those days were easy in comparison with” 0 likes
“outline of the large green caterpillar with her finger, waiting for them to pick up. Eventually the answerphone kicked in. Adam’s voice invited her to leave a message. The fact that they must be deliberately not answering the phone made her uncomfortable.” 0 likes