Start by marking “Good Girls Don't Die (D.I. Grace Fisher, #1)” as Want to Read:
Good Girls Don't Die (D.I. Grace Fisher, #1)

Good Girls Don't Die

(D.I. Grace Fisher #1)

You’d know if someone close to you was capable of lethal violence, right?

Dead wrong.

Accused of grassing up a fellow officer and driven brutally out of home and job, Grace Fisher is thankful to survive some dark times and find haven with the Major Investigation Team in Essex.

One female student is missing, last seen at a popular bar in Colchester. When a second student, also
Published October 9th 2014 by Quercus Editions Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Good Girls Don't Die, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good Girls Don't Die

Start your review of Good Girls Don't Die (D.I. Grace Fisher, #1)
Elaine
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book introduces us to a new Detective – Grace Fisher and is set in the Colchester area. Grace is a detective with a past that she is trying to get away from and I did feel for part of the read that I was reading a sequel , because that past is only revealed to us in dribs and drabs and it takes a while for us to learn all her back story, which explains why she is in Colchester, starting a new job.

Events start with a missing girl, soon followed by the discovery of another girl’s body. With
Liz Barnsley
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
**Actual Rating 4.5 stars***

Some top notch crime fiction from the pen of Isabelle Grey here,which just goes to show there is still a lot of life left in the police procedural drama stakes, all you need are some well drawn characters, a haunting yet intriguing mystery and an ability to draw the reader in and make them care about what is going on – all of which happens here with bells on.

Grace joins the Major Investigation Team in Essex, having been unceremoniously dumped from her previous life
sue
Oct 31, 2014 rated it liked it
I loved Isabelle Grey books.
But this one turned out to be quite slow for me, the pace was very tedious at times and I tried to make myself stay with it because I respect this author so much.

For some reason it just didn't pull me in like the others she has written.

Grace joins a team that are looking for Polly throughout this book. Shes missing, taken or ran off, no one quite knows and although there are many suspects, you never get to know for sure which one it could be.

Grace is in disgrace for
Nigel
Nov 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I had an advance copy of the 3rd book in this series earlier this year, enjoyed it and decided to try an earlier one. This is the first book and feels a bit like it at times - the 3rd is better IMO. That said I do think Isabelle Grey deserves rather more recognition that she seems to have. I do like DI (although in this case DS) Grace Fisher as a character. She has an interesting background and certainly by book 3 is developing very nicely. There are other worthwhile characters in this book too. ...more
Cleopatra  Pullen
For anyone who thinks that the good old police procedural has had its day, think again. Isabelle Grey has come up with a cracking new novel which is the first in a new series featuring Detective Sergeant Grace Fisher.

Grace Fisher left her last posting in Maidstone after being driven out for grassing up a fellow officer, losing her job, home and husband in the process. Taking a demotion she joins the Major Investigation Team in Essex and starts on the day a student is reported as missing
Kat
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is my first book by Isabella Grey. I loved the writing itself, it flowed easily and I was looking forward to getting stuck in. Unfortunately, the plot was boring for me. Nothing much happened, and when it did there was no suspense. Despite this, I will read more from Isabelle. I liked Grace, the main character and I’m looking forward to hearing more about her, and her background

Thanks goes to net galley for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.
Cora Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Crime, mystery, murder, love, family.

AUDIOBOOK.

This was very good, and I absolutely loved the narrator, but I felt that the story itself was a little bit too slow and the narrative a little bit too sloppy.

It seems to be a common theme that women in the police force are basically shat upon by every male in the force, and it gets a little tiresome after a while. This theme is there full force in this book and it felt like a little bit too much, like it have gone just that little bit too
Vikki Patis
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really good police procedural that doesn't rely on tropes or generalisations, and with a good feminist undercurrent. Grace Fisher is an excellent character, and the storyline gripped me immediately.

Although the title would usually be enough to put me off, I understand now as an author that many titles are chosen for commercial reasons, and may not reflect the attitudes of the author. Don't judge a book, as they say. This is really good.
Book Addict Shaun
Oct 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014

I loved the sound of this book after reading its blurb and hoped it would meet my expectations. I'm glad to say that it did. Our main character is DS Grace Fisher who I warmed to immediately. It felt like I already knew her and not like I'd only just met her. Once a DI she is now disgraced, in the midst of a divorce and hoping Essex is the place she can start afresh.

Her first case with new partner Lance is the case of a missing student named Polly. No sooner have they attempted to
comfort
The first book in the series revolving around DI Grace Fisher.

There are two story lines running through this book, the first is Grace's story and why she has just started this new (demoted) position. We find out in a series of flash backs and re-tellings ( a few too many re-tellings- I got it the first time) about how she had apparently grassed up a fellow officer for drug abuse and how the rest of her colleagues including her hubby and commanding officer turned against her, she was forced to
Alfred Nobile
Mar 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I finished this book but I didn't enjoy it. I found the story very slow and the last 100 pages were the best part of the book.
Amy Wanstall
Thanks to the guys at Quercus for a copy of Isabelle’s Grey’s new novel in exchange for review. Having read The Bad Mother I was excited to see what Grey would come up with next and Good Girls Don’t Die doesn’t disappointment.

This is set to be the first in a series of books starring Detective Sergent Grace Fisher, new to the Essex Police Force having moved from Kent after the breakup of her marriage, she has a great back story forced out of her old team, deserted by those she thought were her
Damaskcat
Dec 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I found this a compelling read and it in two days. Grace Fisher - previously a Detective Inspector in the Kent force has moved to Essex to start a new life as a Detective Sergeant. The reader does not know at first exactly what happened to Grace to cause her to leave her previous job but the circumstances are gradually revealed.

A student disappears following a night out and Grace is part of the investigating team. As she gradually builds relationships with her colleagues she meets up with a
Daniel Woodward
Sep 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Won this book as part of the good reads first reads system, so was looking forward to reading this. I liked the main character and was intrigued that she had a chequered past in Kent and now had moved to Essex and was forever hoping that her past would not affect her future. I liked the pace of the book and this was constant and I found this made for a steady read.
Most of the other characters were good although I wasnt so keen on their only being a few real options as to the killers identity and
Nini
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I really enjoyed this book, I tend to favour the male detectives but Grace Fisher was a fantastic character. I found it interesting to see both the murder case and Graces past unfold simultaniously. The descriptions were detailed and the story flowed well with enough red herrings to make the ending a surprise. A well written story with likeable characters I will be trying out the authors other work .
Jo
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Grace moves to Colchester to make a new start as a detective sergeant in the local constabulary. A student goes missing from the university then another is found murdered and violated. Was it the randy law lecturer or maybe the Polish house owner who liked to watch the girls. Great story and I do hope this is the start of a series.
Angela Free
Dec 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wasn't sure at first...seemed a bit slow. But then I got into it and really had no idea who the murderer was until towards the end. There were a lot of suspects and I was never really sure. Felt sorry for the murderer though, the reasons why he did what he did.
Pampuig
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book. I listened on audio and the narrated was excellent but most importantly a good modest (for once) british detective story. Went straight for another book by Isabelle Grey.
Tessa
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book which kept you guessing right up to the end.
Ruth
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic book. Well written, great characters and a superb storyline. I could not put it down.
Frances
Feb 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-2015
4 1/2 star listen
A really good start to a new series , a very likable main character , exciting plot, keeps you guessing throughout, which suspect actually did it !
Jackie Wadsworth
I am finding that I am enjoying crime novels on audio much more than I do when I actually read them. A lot of this is down to the narrator of course, and Melody Grove reads this series very well.

Grace Fisher is a detective with the Colchester branch of the Essex Police. She has just moved to the area and the force from Sussex where she was hounded out for reporting a corrupt officer, and then for reporting her policeman husband for beating her nearly to death for reporting said officer. So.
Pgchuis
Jun 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: paperback
This was a little disappointing for me. Grace's back story was interesting, but it was also depressing and referred to over and over again. At times it seemed as if nothing had ever gone right for Grace and nothing ever would.

The police procedural aspects also felt rather demoralizing: there was a lot of hopeless going round in circles, which may well be realistic, but made for dull reading. The chapters from Ivo's perspective were a little jarring, although they definitely read as a distinctly
Leandra Bramham
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Such a frustrating book. Great storyline and good characters, but the plot was completely transparent, it was very obvious early on who the killer was but I found myself continuously thinking the police were completely incompetent for blatantly ignoring what was staring them in the face. I shall try more books from the Grace Fisher series and hope they are not as frustrating!
Sophie
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic discovery. A convincing story, really well written and brilliantly paced. I fear I will have read them all before the week is out.
Elaine Tomasso
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think this is a good start to what, I hope, will be a series. Grace Fisher was hounded out of her job in Maidstone for doing the right thing and has moved to Colchester to make a fresh start. Unfortunately a student disappears on her first day in the new job and then a couple of days later a body is found, but it's not the missing student. Are they linked? There is nothing particularly new in the plot - the police haul in a couple of plausible suspects and the plot revolves around their ...more
Marguerite Kaye
Oct 23, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a good police procedural book spoilt a bit for me by the rather irritating main protagonist, who made a couple of really fundamental errors of judgment that I couldn't let go of and that seriously distracted me for the remainder of the book.

Our main womn has just moved to a new job following a demotion. She's left her old job because she pointed a finger at a drug-using colleague, and because she took her husband to court for beating her up - so he lost his job too. So she's pretty
Mandie Lowe
Apr 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a compelling introduction to a new detective series starring police officer Grace Fisher. The murder is unraveled slowly, but realistically. The story felt very fresh and up to date, with references to modern technology that the author clearly understood. That was refreshing, as there is nothing worse than reading about detectives trying to solve a murder without comprehending the roles Twitter or cellphones played in the crime.

Although the story was slow-going, it had a depth that I
kelly
Aug 19, 2017 rated it liked it
This book took a while to get going and was so predictable it was stupid! This is not a page turner and there is no twist at the end, there is a lack of suspense and the prolouge seemed pretty pointless.
However the writing was good and I like the MC Grace and if you like police style stories maybe this is for you, but this was neither the murder mystery or thriller I expected.
Hayley Smith
Dec 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
For some reason I struggled with this book. The plot was there and so were the characters but got me it was abit flat and not very gripping
Shame
« previous 1 3 next »

• Cruel Acts (Maeve Kerrigan #8)
  • Never Look Back (DI Mike Lockyer, #1)
  • Beneath the Surface (Inspector Tom Reynolds, #2)
  • For Reasons Unknown (DCI Matilda Darke, #1)
  • The Stranger You Know (Maeve Kerrigan, #4)
  • No Other Darkness (DI Marnie Rome, #2)
  • The Darkest Place (Inspector Tom Reynolds, #4)
  • Outside Looking In (DCI Matilda Darke, #2)
  • A Room Full of Killers (DCI Matilda Darke, #3)
  • Perfect Girls (Detective Rachel Prince #3)
  • I Thought I Knew You
  • Two For Joy (Isabel Fielding Book 2)
  • The Boy Who Fell (Inspector Tom Reynolds, #5)
  • Perfect Silence (D.I. Callanach, #4)
  • With Our Blessing (Inspector Tom Reynolds, #1)
  • The Silent Girls (Detective Anna Gwynne, #1)
  • Vigilante (Jessica Daniel, #2)
  • Dying Truth (D.I. Kim Stone, #8)
I write the DI Grace Fisher series of crime novels, set in Colchester, Essex. 'The Special Girls', the third in the series, was a Sunday Times Crime Novel of the Month. The first three books in the series are 'Good Girls Don't Die', 'Shot Through the Heart' and 'The Special Girls. The murder detective's fourth investigation, 'Wrong Way Home', is out now and is a Sunday Times Crime Book of the ...more

D.I. Grace Fisher (4 books)
  • Shot Through the Heart (D.I. Grace Fisher, #2)
  • The Special Girls (D.I. Grace Fisher, #3)
  • Wrong Way Home (D.I. Grace Fisher, #4)