Start by marking “The Plasm” as Want to Read:
The Plasm

The Plasm

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  51 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
he Vordlak, once the pride of the space program, has been missing for decades, thought lost in the void. But when a salvage team come across it floating in the darkness, and the lost ship's unique drive kicks in, then the problems are only just beginning. Space and time are warped as some of the relics of the original mission develop a strange new life of their own in thei ...more
Published July 28th 2014 by Dark Regions Press (July 28, 2014) (first published July 25th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Plasm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Plasm

Jon Recluse
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Science fiction meets the Occult in this pulptastic creature feature tale of space exploration, colonization, ghost ships, experimental drives....and Lovecraftian repercussions
Meikle is a master of spinning tales that combine old school with a contemporary voice, engaging imagination and a welcome sense of fun.

Highly recommended.
Bill
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Plasm is a very good SF/horror hybrid from William Meikle who is fast becoming one of my favorite authors. Willie can tell a hell of a tale, whether it’s crime noir, dark fantasy, sf or horror.

First off, I must admit that I struggle with SF in general and always have. While The Plasm may lean in that direction, I had no problem getting fully engaged in the story and it was not bogged down with a bunch of SF jargon that normally puts me off.

Something has ripped a fissure in this world allowin
Frank Errington
Review copy

Take a salvage operation in space and mix in a healthy dose of mysticism, with Lovecraftian overtones, and you have a pretty good idea of what The Plasm is all about.

Steve Falmoth pilots a cargo rig in the asteroid belt between Earth and Mars. He and his partner, Sam, stumble upon the VORDLAK, lost in space for eighty odd years. The crew is gone, but what they find is straight out of your worst nightmares.

One of the nice things about reading a book by William Meikle is knowing it's no
Mel
Mar 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Beware of the blob, it creeps
And leaps and glides and slides
Across the floor
Right through the door
And all around the wall
A splotch, a blotch
Be careful of the blob

The Plasma is fun B movie sci fi horror mixed with occult mayhem. The Plasma is kind of like if the blob gave birth to some Lovecraftian "old ones" in outer space. Fun stuff!
Glenn Rolfe
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is easily one of my two favorite novellas I've read this year. A mini-epic sci-fi adventure of terror. Part The Blob, part something fed by Lovecraft and Alien...The Plasm is awesome!
I would highly recommend this to sci-fi and/or horror fans!!! HIGHLY!
Kaisersoze
Jul 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
An interesting melding of sci-fi and Lovercraftian-infused horror, William Meikle's The Plasm follows two narrative threads and a set of characters that become embroiled in a mystery which has existed for over a hundred years. There are derelict spaceships, doomed salvaging efforts, men in black type military figures, and a link to something beyond human reckoning which could ultimately doom us all ...

To be fair, this one is probably heavier on the sci-fi than is normally my cup of tea, but Meik
G. Munson
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Plasm is what you get when you read H.P. Lovecraft while watching Event Horizon. Thankfully for me, I love both.
The Plasm is the story of the Vordlak, a spacecraft that uses an incredibly powerful new engine that the creators don’t 100% understand. They use it and it disappears, only to reappear with no crew and an unusual ship’s log. Of course, once discovered the engine starts back up and shit gets weird. Sound familiar? Yeah, it did to me as well.
Thankfully it changes the story soon afte
Tarl
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
This story was a unique mix of paranormal and Lovecraftian elements with the science fiction genre. There are many elements (such as how they power the drives of the ships) that I found fascinating and engaging, but unfortunately with the inclusion of Cthlulhu, the story goes sideways.

Meikle's writing is good, though every so often there seemed to be a slip up. (one prime example is near the end of the story where he used 'speeded up' instead of 'sped up') This doesn't really detract from the s
Spencer
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was really in the mood for a sci-fi/horror book, found this and I must say it really hit the spot!
I really enjoyed this book, it brought together the occult and sci-fi in an interesting way and was very different to the usual lovecraftian fiction.
Most of all I'd say that this book is fun and it was a nice change to the usual weird fiction I read, in tone and in setting.
Bogdan
May 02, 2016 rated it liked it
This was an entertaining read.

I could say that this is a fortunate blending of a Lovecraftian mystery in Space and Mars with some sci-fi elements.

If you are, or not, a fan of Chtulhu Mythos, either way, this will be an enjoyable novella until the end.
Shawn Michael
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I finished reading William Meikle's The Plasm last night, and whoo boy! What a fun ride! Mind you, my idea of fun can sometimes be a bit odd. That said, this piece of cosmic horror set in the depths of space hits on all cylinders. Which it should, as the author only has 128 pages to work with. Available from Dark Regions Press, this short release does not disappoint in any way. I can't say that I've read everything by the author, but what I have read has never failed to engage me and The Plasm c ...more
Riju Ganguly
Despite having two fantastic settings to play with, one of them being the classic ghost-ship Vordlak, suddenly adrift in space after being lost for many-many years, and the other being a colonised Mars, the author couldn't give us the rip-roaring nerve-shredding tale that one expects from him.
We didn't face Aliens. We didn't even get ourselves into a scenario reminiscent of Event Horizon.
There wasn't even a proper hungry ghost!
All we had were Lovecraftian entities, exorcisms, and weird tales.
Sad
Stephen Dorneman
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Okay, this isn't a great book - probably more like 3 1/2 stars, as it's on the weaker side as far as characterization and story organization goes, plus a few too many 'nobody would actually DO that' moments. But it's an audacious mix of near-future SF and Cthulhu mythos, the story of NASA 's attempt to exploit the power thrown off during extra-planar summonings to power deep-space travel -- an attempt that, as you might expect, does Not End Well. So extra stars for audacity, and at only 121 fast ...more
Tim
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have read Mr. Meikle’s work, “The Ravine,” (see my review) and liked it a lot. So when the offer came from Dark Regions Press to read and review “The Plasm” for free, I jumped on the chance. This short (133 pages) book is a sort of combination of the movies “Event Horizon” and “The Blob” Steve Falmouth, pilot of an interstellar salvage ship (“Firefly?”) and his lover/copilot Sam come across the “Vorlag,” touted as an affordable deep-space transport, which disappeared on its maiden voyage from ...more
Robert Krone
Note: I received a copy of this from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

I am a fan of science fiction and horror stories, but I can't think of another Science Fiction-Horror hybrid story that I have read in the past, and definitely never read one that also had Lovecraftian elements in it, but Meikle has proven to me it is mixture that can definitely work out well if done by a talented author.

The more I read from Meikle, the more I become a fan of his. I have only read a few of his sto
Scott
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

A Lovecraftian sci-fi/supernatural horror set in space. While some might say that it's reminiscent of the movie Event Horizon, I found it to be an original premise and a whole new take on the universe that was created by HPL. Actually, I think he would have appreciated it.

It's a quick read and definitely worth your time if you're a fan of supernatural horror.
Cristina Isabel
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A perfect, well written combination of sci-fi and horror. With each turn of the page it brings you closer and closer to the explanation of just what The Plasm actually is. A ritual brought it to life and now a salvage team have to figure out a way to destroy it before it consumes everything. One touch of the plasm and you’re erased forever! No pressure though! Suspenseful to the core up until the very end!
Henry Eggleton
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Plasm

A gripping science fiction horror story that hits all its marks. Strong characters in a well crafted story that sucks you in a powerfully as the Plasm.
Shannon Sporleder
Sep 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good mix of Cthulu mythos and space exploration. Good story.
Jenn Swanson
Overall this was a good story. It is more like a 3.5 rating. If the last "chapter" was omitted it would have been a 4.0. If you are into horror or sci-fi I would definitely recommend it.
Aaron Edgell
Hilton De
Mar 01, 2015
John Velona
Jun 06, 2017
I'm a Scottish writer, now living in Canada, with more than twenty five novels published in the genre press and over 300 short story credits in thirteen countries.

My work has appeared in a number of professional anthologies and I have recent short story sales to NATURE Futures, Penumbra, Read Short Fiction and Buzzy Mag. When I'm not writing I play guitar, drink beer and dream of fortune and glor
More about William Meikle