Start by marking “The Seven Stages of Anger and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Seven Stages of Anger and Other Stories

The Seven Stages of Anger and Other Stories

The Seven Stages of Anger and Other Stories in the first winner of the Press 53 Award for Short Fiction, selected by Kevin Morgan Watson, Publisher, and Christine Norris, Fiction Editor. Carol Guess, author of Darling Endangered and Doll Studies: Forensics, says, "What happens when a still life speaks? Wendy J. Fox invites us to eavesdrop. These beautiful, lyrical stories ...more
Published October 18th 2014 by Press 53

To ask other readers questions about The Seven Stages of Anger and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seven Stages of Anger and Other Stories

Mark Stevens
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
From the first paragraph of “Apricots,” the first story in "The Seven Stages of Anger," I had a hunch I was reading something special. I could imagine an hour-long creative writing class devoted to the many ways that first paragraph works, but here’s the opening sentence as a teaser: “As children growing up in the eastern Washington desert, the dry side of the Cascades, we learned to speak of rain the way we spoke of the dead: with reverence, with longing, without hope of return.”

The narrator is
Meaghan
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wendy is an amazingly descriptive writer and has surprising in-depth knowledge about even the most minute detail and facts. All of which make the book a delight to devour.
Beth Castrodale
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The complications of romantic partnerships are often explored in fiction, but rarely with the depth and insight that Wendy J. Fox brings to her début story collection, The Seven Stages of Anger.

Through several stories, and through the perspectives of multiple characters, Fox suggests that happenstance, circumstance, and inertia—as unromantic as they may be—can play a much larger role in how relationships form, sustain themselves, or die than we may like to think. As for destiny and fate, for the
Jessica
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love short stories, and found that these will fall amongst those that I love. The writer was superbly and pleasingly descriptive and made it so I finished the book in a quick sitting. I cannot really pick a favorite but can request that others do read this book to find their own.
Great  Writers Steal
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: featured-on-gws
Ms. Fox's stories illuminate the lives of people who are still searching for happiness in a world that seems to enjoy withholding it. While the book is slight, the stories inside pack a big wallop. I had the pleasure of asking Ms. Fox about her work in an interview:

The Great Writers Steal Experience: Wendy J. Fox, author of The Seven Stages of Anger
Janet
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read this book because my cousin wrote it. I gave this book five stars because the stories are beautifully descriptive nuggets of everyday life. Wendy brought me home to my dust filled childhood, evoking memories and feelings long forgotten. She took me back to young adulthood, moving to the rainy coast, and learning to make my way in the world. I look forward reading more from Wendy, not simply because we're related, but because she's emerged as a fine author.
Dawn
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm learning that I enjoy short stories, and here's another collection that I'd recommend. I loved the writing, and most of the stories. My favorites were "The Car" and "Ten Penny" though thee was only one that I didn't finish and now I can't remember which one that was. These are vignettes of interesting but ordinary people. Some of them you will recognize in yourself. Definitely worth the read.
Pamela
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The writing was beautiful, breathtaking, even. Made me slow down to enjoy it -- the descriptions, the originality. It made me marvel. Plenty to discuss, fully developed characters and interesting ideas. Book clubs might want to discuss -- Love, Family, Uncertainty, Fire Motif, Dirt Motif, Relationship Fractures, Being grateful for temporary love that heals and vanishes but reverberates, Destruction, Safety. "There is no God, only family."
Alex Berge
  • Glory Goes and Gets Some
  • Telegrams of the Soul: Selected Prose
  • All My Friends
  • The Coast of Good Intentions: Stories
  • Astoria to Zion: Twenty-Six Stories of Risk and Abandon from "Ecotone"'s First Decade
  • Infidelities
  • Donna di Porto Pim
Wendy J. Fox was raised in rural Washington state and earned her MFA at Eastern Washington University.

Her debut collection, "The Seven Stages of Anger & Other Stories" was the winner of the 2014 Press 53 Award for Short Fiction, and her first novel "The Pull of It" was released by Underground Voices in September of 2016.

Her stories, articles, and essays have been published widely in print an