Start by marking “The Wisdom of Trees” as Want to Read:
The Wisdom of Trees

The Wisdom of Trees

A passionate and informative celebration of trees and of man's ingenuity in exploiting their resources: the perfect gift for anyone who cares about the natural world.

Trees are marvels of nature, still-standing giants of extraordinary longevity. In a beautifully written sequence of essays, anecdotes and profiles of Britain's best-loved species (from yew to scots pine), Max
Published October 23rd 2014 by Head of Zeus

To ask other readers questions about The Wisdom of Trees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wisdom of Trees

Paul
Sep 05, 2014 rated it liked it
It is only a tree.

Or is it?

These mere plants have given the human race so much over the millennia. The obvious things are shelter and warmth, but they have also fed us, healed us and with the skill of carpenters have also allowed us to travel. Not only that they are an essential part of our planet’s eco system, converting carbon dioxide to oxygen as acting lungs, are home to countless animals and insects, and are a marvel of organic engineering.

In this book Adams takes us on a historical and sci
Geoff
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My favorite book of the year. A delightful meditation and exploration of trees. He talks of them in turns of what we can learn from them-as solar machines, trappers of carbon, and sustainable sources of tools, building materials and such. Each chapter ends with the discussion of a specific tree. He talks about managing woods as part of human necessity. I want to create a mixed hardwood woods to manage on my own. He also makes the pieces of wood come alive as they are made into other objects or t ...more
Alex Boon
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My only criticism of this fine book is that it needed a continuity check. Some terms are introduced and introduced again, whereas others are mentioned in passing and we are expected to go to the glossary to look up what is meant (often only to find it is described later...) But it's not enough to drop a star. The book resonated with me and I enjoyed it very much. Would have liked it to be longer.
Heidi (KosminenK)
Anekdootteja ja informaatiosta puista, metsistä, metsien hoidosta ja ihmisen suhteesta puihin kautta aikojen. Puihin hyödyn ja metsäinhoidon näkökulma vahva. Opin ja ihmettelin.
Alix Chidley-Uttley
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So very beautiful. Do read xx
Tim Newell
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
One to keep handy to revisit. Such a powerful subject, essential to our wellbeing
Roger Woods
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely book by an author who understands nature and woodsmanship in particular. It reveals many interesting facts and figures about trees in Britain.
Wendy Campbell
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Beautiful story of the gift that trees are to our planet:-)
Marc
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
A wonderfully warm and insightful book approaching trees and woods and woodcraft from many, many perspectives. Lovely.
Teresa
Dec 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
A delightful book and great information about the life of trees.
Tom Henson
Oct 31, 2015
Ümit Bedretdin
Jun 02, 2018
Max Adams
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Jun 15, 2017
Jan 08, 2017
Lucy
Feb 02, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
I am an archaeologist, woodsman and traveller. I live in the North-east of England where I write about landscape and history. My next non-fiction work, to be published in Autumn 2017, is called Alfred's Britain - a history and archaeology of the British Isles in the Viking Age. The King in the North has been a non-fiction bestseller since its publication. In the Land of Giants, my latest non-ficti ...more