Start by marking “A Wedding on the Banks (Mattagash, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Wedding on the Banks (Mattagash, #2)

A Wedding on the Banks

(Mattagash #2)

"A hilarious, high-spirited, it's-great-to-be-alive hoot of a novel."-Newsday

The typically tranquil backcountry town of Mattagash, Maine, is buzzing with news. Amy Joy Lawler, the last of Mattagash's founding clan, just announced her engagement to Jean Claude Cloutier-an outsider. Her scandalized mother takes to bed in protest while the rest of the town gleefully anticipat

Published May 6th 2014 by Sourcebooks Landmark (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about A Wedding on the Banks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Wedding on the Banks

Start your review of A Wedding on the Banks (Mattagash, #2)
Amy
Nov 12, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't find one character that I liked in this book. I would have laughed a lot if these people weren't so mean and pathetic. Still, she wrote well enough that I wanted to finish it and find out what happened at the end.
Mimi
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: maine
Ten years later, the second book in the trilogy follows up on the McKinnon and Gifford families. While this could be a stand-alone book, it was fun to follow-up on the family and know what they were like from the earlier book and see the growth (or lack thereof). Pelletier's gift is to contrast the humor and absurdity of some of the characters with poignancy and dignity of others, and sometimes even the absurd characters can achieve a certain dignity. Can't wait to start The Weight of Winter, bo ...more
Linda Metzler
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very poetically well-written and funny! Loved all the quirky characters. I feel like I've known people like these characters/caricatures, even though I haven't. Pathetic, yes. But almost believable. Take it with a grain of salt, sit back and enjoy the ride. And don't skim over the quotes at the beginning of each chapter...some are hilarious.
Linda Wright
Jan 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Amy Joy Lawler is getting married and Mattagash, Maine is abuzz. Her fiance, Jean Claude Cloutier, speaks French, lives in Frogtown and is Catholic. Horrors! Gossip races through the backwoods town, while Amy Joy's mother, Sicily, is dreaming up yet another imaginary illness so she can take to her bed. Once the invitations are mailed, the big city relatives arrive bringing more than what's packed in their suitcases, while the no good local Gifford brothers plot to crash the reception and steal t ...more
Valerie
Dec 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
It was a funny book, both in the peculiar sense and the funny ha-ha sense. I am struck by the fact that those people living in rural anywhere seem to be like everyother group of poor people living in rural anywhere. A lack of education and culture seems to be the common thread. Then, there is the prejudice against those different than oneself...even though they have been neighbors for hundreds of years and language is the only barrier. Funny in that the sex keeps getting some of the protagonists ...more
Julie Barrett
Aug 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once Upon A Time On the Banks by Cathie Pellitier
Maine, first day of spring. Amy Joy Lawler comes to town and will wed and her mother has taken to her bed.
Trouble amongst the natives, when one outsider wants to marry a native townie.
This is almost like a Hatfield/McCoy battle and some of the things they do along the way are hilarious, some very dangerous.
Lots of others are followed, with what is going on with their lives. It's about family, heritage, legacy and in the remote town close to the Ca
Cindy
Nov 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most of us tend to romanticize rural small town life, and I find as I'm reading these Mattagash, Maine stories that I'm waiting for those nice people to show up, people like Father Tim or Heather Lende and her friends and neighbors. But there don't seem to be any "nice" people in Mattagash, Maine. There's just people living their lives in a place where life is awful hard. Is Ms. Pelletier making fun of them? Even considering the historical times of these novels (1960s)they are living such isolat ...more
Amanda Smith
Sep 10, 2015 rated it liked it
I struggled with this book, many of the reviews online gave it 5 star reviews. I do not agree. I think the book was cute and funny at times, but I did not find it overly funny. The books contains a lot of characters and Ms. Pelletier did a good job developing them and making them relatable. However, in my opinion, there were too many characters and it took nearly 1/3 of the book before it started to develop and build. I just wanted to read about what happened at the wedding and to Amy Jo. I did ...more
A continuation of Pelletier's Mattagash series (I would say trilogy, but there is a fourth coming out soon!). We are reunited with Amy Joy, Junior, the Giffords and all the rest of the bunch ten years after The Funeral Makers takes place.

There are some moments of absolute laugh out loud hilarity (Come on down, Thel!), but really kind of a sad portrait of small town life.

As I said about The Funeral Makers, the writing is kind of like Mr.
Keillor’s Lake Woebegone, but with the sense that not every
Suzanne Cooper
Aug 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Families in small town 1969 Maine--the family feud between the Giffords & the McKinnons--struggles to overcome small-town small-mindedness. The writing gets better towards final chapters--compassion towards their struggles & small triumphs. Bittersweet, wry-ly humorous.

fav quotes: "AA means Avon Anonymous around here."

"But in the mud & scum of things- there always, always something sings."--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Greta
Feb 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As one of several books about a small town in North Central Maine, this one was bawdy, campy, and highly entertaining if you're in the mood for a lot of small town silliness. I look forward to reading more by Cathie Pelletier who caught my attention initially as a long time resident of Nashville. Maybe she'll write something just as down home about Nashville.
Ann Douglas
Dec 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
If you're looking for a novel that is full of colourful and quirky characters, this might be the novel for you. Just be forewarned that a lot of the characters are racist and/or sexist. The only reason I kept reading (and, yes, I did make it through to the end) is because I enjoyed the narrative voice. Still, overall, not my cup of tea.
Jonna
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a wonderful reading experience. Wonderfully written. I read it in 1992 so I can't write a well-thought-through review. I just remember reading it and how good I felt while reading it. In my book (no pun intended), any book that leaves you with a smile on your face is worth reading.... (I think I'm repeating myself here...
Valerie
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sherry
Jan 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a group of characters. A wedding to A French Canadian frog is the worst Sadie can imagine for her hot to trot daughter Joy. His family isn't thrilled and connive to prevent the wedding. Clashing generations of the Portland undertaking Ivys create havoc in Mattagash or havoc is wrecked on them. Hilarious, unforgettable bk 2
JoAnn Plante
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story. It had a real cast of characters. Each character was so realistic. I thought I knew some of them. She is a great writer and her ability to describe people, scenes, or things is just incredible. Cathie Pelletier emmerces the reader into her fictitious world and makes everything seem real. I enjoy reading this author.
Christine
Aug 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: folks who like modern fiction about quirky people
Shelves: alltimefaves
loved all three of the books in this series (funeral makers, the weight of winter).
wonderful, interesting characters.
Jess
Jun 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a great read. I found it a bit crazy and funny, but entertaining from start to finish. Reminds me of the small town I grew up in.
Donna
Apr 20, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quirky but interesting.
Pam
Nov 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Good but not as good as some of her earlier books. Some very funny sections.
Faye
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
this did not do it for me. There were zillions of characters and each one had quirks and were disllikeable. The setting in Maine was good.
Xendawg
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As with just about everything else Cathie Pelletier writes, this book combines humor and true heartbreak in ways that few authors are capable of
Dianne
Jun 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story - every chapter was absolutely hilarious. This is the on-going tale of troubles and drama between two feuding families and the town that has to deal with all of them.
Joanne
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Laugh out loud funny at times, and I was in rural New England recently, so better yet.
Paulette Ponte
Feb 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cathie Pelletier's best book.
Bonnie Kerr
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was a riot, so very funny and also sad. I liked it better than "The Funeral Makers", it made me nostalgic for my hometown and the house I grew up in.
Sharon Zink
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
A well written and entertaining book about some rednecks and some people who didn't think they were rednecks in Mattagash, Maine.
Barb VanHorn

• Darius & Twig
  • Zodiac (Zodiac, #1)
  • Criss Cross
  • I Killed Zoe Spanos
  • The Fire Within (The Last Dragon Chronicles, #1)
  • Paint Me Like I Am: Teen Poems from WritersCorps
  • Raney
  • The Poet of Tolstoy Park
  • Walking Across Egypt
  • Cormac
  • Lake of Sorrows (Nora Gavin, #2)
  • The Garden of Small Beginnings
  • In Real Life
  • Again Again
  • Hide and Seek (Helen Grace, #6)
  • Murder is an Art (Professor Sally Good #1)
  • The Flying Circus

Mattagash (4 books)
  • The Funeral Makers (Mattagash, #1)
  • The Weight of Winter (Mattagash, #3)
  • The One-Way Bridge (Mattagash, #4)