Start by marking “This Is Not a Love Story” as Want to Read:
This Is Not a Love Story

This Is Not a Love Story

Kitty dreams of a beautiful life, but that's impossible in suburban London where her family is haunted by her father's unexpected death. So when her mum suggests moving to Amsterdam to try a new life, Kitty doesn't take much persuading. Will this be her opportunity to make her life picture perfect?

In Amsterdam she meets moody, unpredictable Ethan, and clever, troubled The
Published May 7th 2015 by Atom

To ask other readers questions about This Is Not a Love Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Is Not a Love Story

Aditi
“Each friend represents a world in us, a world possibly not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born.”

----Anaïs Nin

Keren David, a Dutch writer, has penned an uplifting tale about three teenagers set in Amsterdam in her book, This is Not a Love Story. This book explores the relationship of two individuals who move to Amsterdam and meet with another boy who changes their life completely. This book is going to remind you of The Fault in Our Stars a lot, as
Nicola
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

3 Reasons I Loved 'This is Not a Love Story':

The setting is beautiful
I absolutely loved the setting of This is Not a Love Story. It is set in Amsterdam and it was so immersive and gorgeous and has made me want to visit the city again as soon as possible! There are a lot of little authentic touches that make it so easy to picture the streets the characters are wandering through. I really can't praise it enough; I would recommend reading the story for the setting alone. But there are lots
Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)
Aww. What a great story. Fallen in love with Amsterdam all over again!

This Is Not A Love Story by Keren David was a really amazing read. I knew it would be. I've previously read and loved every book by Keren David and she has quickly become a favourite author.

Briefly, This Is Not A Love Story, is about three main characters. Kitty and THeo are both Londoners who have recently moved to Amsterdam and meet each other at school and meet each other and also, Ethan, this rather moody boy. This is a s
Virginie (chouettblog)
I would like to give a big thank you Atom Books for providing me with an advanced copy of this great novel out on 7th May 2015.

I tend to do a lot of things backwards, so instead of going for the first novel Keren David wrote, I decided to remain true to myself and discover her by reading her 6th publication. This novel is also my next stop on my journey to read more UKYA this year, and believe me, it did not disappoint.

As the title indicates, this book is not a love story but rather the tale of
Syndi
Jul 29, 2017 rated it liked it
ah!! the sweet bitter time being young. full of adventure and chances. falling in love without knowing what is love. carefree and be young.

the sweet joy of falling in love, the heart break over stupid careless love. what an adventure.

this book is about that bitter sweet. friends, family and.... young stupid careless love.
Odette Knappers
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
This was a really nice story to read! Not as soppy as some contemporaries, but still really cute and fun. I love how everything is not-perfect, a bit messy and confusing sometimes, but that is just how life can be so I really liked that in this book.

About the ending: Of course it is fun that the ending is very happy for everyone and everyone is partying together etcetera. But, I would have loved the ending even more if some people could part from each other and that it is still alright. You don'
Jemima Osborne
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this via ATOM's Atomic readers system in exchange for an honest review-

Firstly, this is a book made for those who loved Anna and the French Kiss, Girl Online and Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe.

The title straight away makes me think that the author has tried to be clever and hide a love story. I thought it was cheesy and a bit blasé. But after reading it...oh my god! It was such a clever title! I applaud Keren David for this! The story is dived into
Sofia
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
This book was like a breath of fresh air. It was so completely different to anything I’ve ever read and I completely fell in love with it.

The first thing about this book that made me fall in love with it was the fact that it was set in Amsterdam. I have always been fascinated by Amsterdam so reading a whole book that was set there was amazing. Along the course of the novel, I learned a lot about the city and I felt like I was there in a way.

The next thing about this book that made me fall in lov
Helen Grant
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely LOVED this book. It's the first book by Keren David that I have read and I'll definitely be reading others now. I love the Amsterdam setting and I also loved the story, which took off in some really unexpected directions. I'm normally a horror-and-crime sort of reader but I became so interested in what was going to happen between Kitty, Theo and Ethan that I absolutely devoured this book! Recommended.
Cora Tea Party Princess
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Review to come.
Suze Lavender
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Kitty has the chance to start over, to reinvent herself, when her mother accepts a job in Amsterdam. She doesn't want to be the frail girl any longer, the person who needs to be looked after. Her new identity works and she makes friends pretty easily. Ethan is the son of a very dear friend of Kitty's mother. He's unpredictable and shows Kitty how it is to be fearless. He's a big flirt and doesn't take things too seriously. Theo is badly damaged by an affair that went wrong. He's still pining for ...more
Emer
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
'This Is Not A Love Story'. Hmmm. Isn't it?

I didn't go into this book with particularly high expectations, so I can't say I'm disappointed with it. The story sounded slightly dull, but I kept an open mind.

I liked the setting. I've always wanted to go to Amsterdam. I liked how Kitty was optimistic about moving. It certainly made a change from the typical "my parents are making me move to this wasteland and I miss my friends and my boyfriend and my spot in the posh cafe in town and HEY HES CUTE I
Anna
It's no secret that I love Keren David's books - I don't think there's any other author that nails the British teenage experience quite like she does. Although I've haven't reviewed it here, her previous book Salvage manages to balance realistic characters, engaging plot and heart-rending issues, something that I imagine is far trickier than it looks. I hate describing reads as 'issue' books, because it somehow feels like a disparaging comment rather than a compliment, with an automatic assumpti ...more
Joany de Vries-Verbrugge
Aug 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Vergeet de titel, want dit is wel degelijk een liefdesverhaal! Het is een verhaal waarin niet de hoofdpersoon, maar de lezer verliefd wordt; op de schrijfstijl, op de personages, op de originaliteit, op Amsterdam!
Echt een boek wat op iedere TBR zou moeten staan. Liefde voor dit boek. LIEFDE!!!

Uitgebreide review volgt z.s.m. op http://NerdyMommy.nl
Kirsty
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have been a fan of Keren David for a while. Her stories are always really engaging and I oten find myself reading them in one sitting because I can't put them down. This book was no exception.

I loved This is not a love story from the first page. for a variety of reasons.

Firstly it is one of those books that has made me to want to book a trip to the place where it is set for a holiday. This book is set in Amsterdam focusing particularly at the many British people that have made it their home. I
Zoe
Aug 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars, SUCH A GOOD BOOK!
Different cultures, LGBTQ+ characters, religion and different family lifestyles.. YAY FOR DIVERSITY IN YA FICTION :D And also a female protagonist who doesn't need a boyfriend to define her, booyah. I read this book in a day and really didn't want it to end. I love the characters. It also really made me want to visit Amsterdam again and appreciate the scenery :) I would definitely recommend this book to someone looking for a contemporary read.
Cristina
Aug 08, 2016 rated it liked it
I guess it could have been a lot worse. In spite of the fact that it was rather predictable and boring all throughout, I'm giving it a 3-star rating because it was an easy ans enjoyable read nonetheless. Plus, it's YA - I can't have too many expectations from this genre, can I?
charlotte
Rep: male bi mcs

im so disappointed by the lack of polyamory
Regitze
I don't know why I expected this book to be a love story.

But I am glad it wasn't.

My reason for not giving the book more stars is that I didn't really care for any of the characters. I thought they all overreacted quite a bit to everything and their reasons for their actions just felt unnecessarily overdramatic.

I liked the plotstructure though, the way we starts after the big event, then go back to see everything that led up to that moment and then back to after it all happened to figure out exa
Arianne
Keren David’s Salvage was the dark horse of YA in 2014: a warm, diverse and powerful novel about friendship, family and facing your fears which fought off stiff competition to be nominated for the Carnegie Medal and the first ever YA Book Prize. It was one of my favourite books of the year, but it was a long wait for the awards explosion. In contrast, This Is Not a Love Story has arrived like a blockbuster, in a maelstrom of glitz, glamour and inevitably high expectations.

Written in a classic,
Lauren Kathryn
I'm really conflicted with how to rate this book. Parts were cleverly executed, but others felt really childish and therefore unbelievable. I'm giving it a three because I read the whole thing and, for the most part enjoyed myself, but certain elements of the story really hindered my experience.
Joanne
Jan 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Originally posted on Once Upon a Bookcase.

My first read the for the LGBT Readathon, This Is Not a Love Story by Keren David, an LGBTQ YA novel with a Jewish bisexual male, was a really enjoyable read, but sadly I didn't love it.

When her mum gets a new job in Amsterdam, Kitty is excited to start over and reinvent herself. No-one need know about her regular heart check-ups, she can be a new, confident Kitty, find herself a boyfriend, and share her experience of life in this beautiful city on Insta
Evelyn Romp
Mar 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: bieb
3,5 ster (echt, soms heb je gewoon een halve ster nodig!)
wat ik leuk vond: het joodse element, en het feit dat Keren David haar best heeft gedaan om een verhaal te schrijven over het feit dat het echte leven niet volgens een formule verloopt.
wat ik minder leuk vond: er gebeurde heel weinig. ik voelde helemaal geen band met de personages. (en waarom heeft de schrijfster niemand gevraagd om het Nederlands te verbeteren?)
Rosy
May 14, 2015 rated it liked it
This review was written for The Review Diaries
You can read the full review here

Thanks to Netgalley and Atom for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review.

Sometimes a book will get a huge amount of love and you can see what everyone’s talking about. Sometimes everyone seems to hate it and yet you yourself absolutely loved it. And sometimes, everyone loves a book but when you read it you cannot understand what they saw in it. This is what happened when I read ‘This is Not a Love Story’. I
Katherine Hamblett

'Most people went off to have a smoke or get a snack, but Kitty and I stayed in the classroom. She stood at the window, looking out at the sparkling  canal, the dancing, shiny leaves on the trees, the rows of houses on the other side, each one so similar yet utterly different.'

✮✮✮✮ 4 stars!

Well this was a rollercoaster ride! A pretty rollercoaster with pretty houses and flowers and quaint folk riding bicycles. And the odd hooker. Kind of reminded me of the series Skins.

After I finished rea
Beth
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I adored this book. It was just fantastic.

What I really enjoyed about this book is the description of Amsterdam. About all the places there and it really has made me want to go visit Amsterdam.

The story starts off with it being after, Kitty has disappeared and everyone is looking for her as something had happened between her and Theo. That is what got me intrigued by the book, what happened to her, what had gone on in earlier events...

We meet Kitty, her father had died when she was 5 because of
Nina (Death, Books, and Tea)
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Review: Kitty and Theo have recently moved to Amsterdam. Kitty's mother's boyfriend's son is Ethan. The three of them must deal with falling in love, keeping secrets from each other, and getting through life.
I wanted to read this because it kept getting flagged up in chats for featuring bisecusl boys, and I'd been meaning to read things by Keren for a long time. Keren reading short story from Ethan's viewpoint made me want to know more about him and therefore I started on this.
It did seem a bit
Emily
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads, 2015
This is Not a Love Story, it has love in it, but at its heart it’s a down to earth, truthful book of reinvention, change and growing up.

The novel follows Theo and Kitty finding their place in the world, in Amsterdam. The move from London both imposed from them, yet Kitty used the opportunity to re-invent herself, while Theo tries to escape his past. Early on the social awareness of the 16 year olds is clear on topics such as racism, as well as the almost blasé references to the use of social med

Beth Bonini
Jun 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
This is a very modern take on love -- or not so much love, perhaps, as the emotional and physical attractions which can be so intense during the adolescent years. The novel has an alternating POV (so popular these days) between Kitty and Theo -- both North Londoners who have recently come to Amsterdam for very different reasons. Theo has been sent away in a sort of exile, both from family illness and as a way to extricate him from an inappropriate romance. Kitty has followed her mother, who has ...more
Iris Post
May 29, 2015 rated it did not like it
I just didn't like this book at all if I'm honest. I was really annoyed at the Dutch words/sentences in it because about 90% of them were not correct. The author claims to have lived in Amsterdam but it looks like she just used google translate and a tourist guide for this book. I might send the publisher an email with the correct spelling and grammar of the Dutch sentences.
Also, it felt like the author was trying too hard to make this book about fighting for equality between races and genders b
  • Starring Kitty (Reel Friends, #1)
  • What's Up with Jody Barton?
  • Read Me Like a Book
  • The Last Summer of Us
  • All of the Above
  • The Baby
  • We Can Be Heroes
  • About a Girl (Metamorphoses, #3)
  • Songs About a Girl (Songs About a Girl, #1)
  • Crush
  • A World Between Us
  • Lightspeed Magazine, June 2015: Queers Destroy Science Fiction! Special Issue
  • Othergirl
“Like, like, like. My confidence grew with each click.” 2 likes
“when someone dumps you, it's heartbreaking and insulting and horrible, sure, but being the one who breaks up is almost as bad.” 0 likes