Start by marking “Someone Cry for the Children” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Someone Cry for the Ch...

Michael Wilkerson

Someone Cry for the Children

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  103 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
June 1977. Three young Girl Scouts are horribly murdered on their first night of summer camp. The prime suspect is a legendary Cherokee outlaw who is said to use "black" medicine to hide himself deep in the Oklahoma hills. The two brothers sent to capture Gene Leroy Hart share their fugitive's Cherokee heritage, and call on other medicine men to help bring him in... And in ...more
Published February 1st 1981 by DoubleDay (first published January 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Someone Cry for the Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Someone Cry for the Children

Amy Sturgis
Those who are interested in the tragic (and still unsolved) 1977 murders of the three Girl Scouts at Camp Scott in Locust Grove, Oklahoma, should read this book to gain one perspective on the crimes and their aftermath. This represents only one side, however, and in the final analysis I find myself unsatisfied by its presentation.

The book was written by two brothers who were on the front lines of the investigation as members of the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation.

My reservations spring fr
Rachel
I did ditch this, unfortunately - recommended only for those truly interested in the 1977 Camp Scott case. Written like a novel, there's a lot of good ol' boy Oklahoma police work and I think if I'd been more invested in the case I would have pushed through - turns out first person true crime, ala Ann Rule, just isn't my thing.

I want this to be True Detective Season 3 so someone get a copy of this to Nic Pizzolatto STAT.
Diane Reeves
Jul 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this book many years ago as a teenager. I am of Native American background and understand what was going on with the Medicine Man and Gene Leroy Hart. Such a sad book but a very good one at the same time. My Dad remembered this happening because he was up in the Tulsa area at the time. I would definitely recommend this book!
Jenna
Jul 13, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this might be my gateway back into the true crime genre, but nope. I couldn't get into this one. I think there are a couple more books on the case written by different authors, but they aren't available through my library. I guess I'll stick with the thread for this case on Webslueths (where this book was recommended).
Crosby
Aug 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many years ago (1978) as I was leaving my home state of Oklahoma for a new job in Texas, the national news carried stories about the tragic murder and assault of three Girl Scouts at a summer camp in the area of the state where I was born. Although I tried to follow the story after arriving in Texas, I was never able to get details. Recently, after visiting one of my longtime Oklahoma friends, she told me about this book and asked me my opinion of it. Since I had never seen the book, she sent it ...more
Vaneesa
Sep 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is another book pertaining to the girl scout murders in Locust Grove, OK in 1977. Again, this may be more interesting to me because the crimes happened so close to my home. I thought this book was much more interesting than "Tent Number Eight", however. This was written by a couple of the detectives working on the defense team and went into greater detail about the evidence that was gathered. Throughout the trial, the media really did seem to play Hart up as a hero and made the defense team ...more
Fishface
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime, favorites
This was an excellent read. Written by two of the many, many investigators on this case, the story starts the day before the crime and follows the investigation and trial to the bitter end. Makes clear who the authors thought the killer was and what became of that sterling character. Chilling case of a criminal tried primarily in the papers at the expense of justice. Really gives a good picture of the cultural clash between the huge local Indian population and "white man's justice," and the nume ...more
Dianne
Feb 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THis is perhaps one of the most haunting books I have ever read. I first read it back in the 80's. In the past year, my husband ran across articles and stories about the original event and wanted to read the book. Locating it was a problem. Used versions (even paperbacks) usually run about 25.00 and up, if you can locate them. I read it again and it had the same effect on me and my husband. It is not great literature, but it succeeds in pulling you into the time and events involving these horren ...more
Bobbi
5 Thoughts...

1. It takes nearly 2/3 of the book just to capture Hart!
2. Interesting intersection of Native beliefs and white men.
3. It's August in Tulsa. Today's heat index was 106. I can't imagine hiking through the woods looking for Hart in the summer in Oklahoma. In fact, I couldn't go hiking today. The cops that did go looking are amazing.
4. Man, this book is dark, haunting, and sad.
5. This is in the top 4 must read true crime books.
(In Cold Blood, Stranger Beside Me, Helter Skelter make
Jo Haight
I haven't read any True Crime in a while, but started this because the infamous Dog Handler John Preston makes an appearance. In case you don't know, Preston and the evidence from his dog were instrumental in the convictions of two men from my area whose verdicts were recently overturned on DNA evidence (thanks to Project Innocence) after more than 25 years in prison. There are many more cases he was involved in, but the State Attorney refuses to proactively review them.

Great writing.... Gives
Julia Strickland
I remember these murders that happened close to my hometown. This horrible crime affected me in that I refused to attend my Girl Scout camp. This book educated me on the details of what happened when I was too young to follow the story back then. Since I had a reason to read this book, I found it interesting. But to others who aren't familiar, the writing will seem dry.
Debra
Sep 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime, oklahoma
Details the 1977 girl scout murders known to many of us from Oklahoma. Written by people inside the investigation, one is left with the certainty that the right person was arrested and tried for the murders. That person, Gene Leroy Hart, was aquitted of the crime, then succombed to heart failure within a couple of months. A movie about the murders is being contemplated, if funds can be raised.
Paul Valente
Jun 10, 2014 rated it liked it
An account of the trial of a Cherokee Indian for a triple murder in the seventies. Interesting insight into Indian culture, but the police procedural exposition was overly detailed and dull at times. Too much focus on the law enforcement protagonists.
Shawn
Oct 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you get a chance, see the documentary which aired on the Discovery Channel back in 1994 by the same OSBI agents who wrote this book. It is a very detailed account of this infamous crime, the impact it had on many lives, the manhunt for the killer and the trial which followed. VERY disturbing.
Aimee
Jun 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-to-z-challenge
This is the book that originally sparked an interest in true crime and forensics. At the age of 13 or 14 began the insatiable desire to know why people hurt other people maliciosly
John Mills
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most craziest books I've ever read. The authors - two former OSBI agents - worked the case.
SouthWestZippy
This one will rip you heart out. A well written book for a easy read but have tissue handy.
Mel
  • The Dreams of Ada
  • The 4 O'Clock Murders: The True Story of a Mormon Family's Vengeance
  • The Death Shift: The True Story of Nurse Genene and the Texas Baby Murders
  • The Caretaker
  • Where Hope Begins: One Family's Journey Out of Tragedy-and the Reporter Who Helped Them Make It
  • When Evil Came to Good Hart
  • Stalemate: A Shocking True Story of Child Abduction and Murder
  • Ted and Ann: The Mystery of a Missing Child and Her Neighbor Ted Bundy
  • Leopold and Loeb: The Crime of the Century
  • Someone's Daughter
  • Boy Heaven
  • Buried Dreams: Inside the Mind of a Serial Killer
  • Beyond Belief: The Moors Murderers. The Story of Ian Brady and Myra Hindley.
  • Nameless Indignities: Unraveling the Mystery of One of Illinois's Most Infamous Crimes
  • Cruel Deception