Start by marking “The Revenant” as Want to Read:
The Revenant

The Revenant

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  39,437 ratings  ·  3,992 reviews
Hugh Glass isn’t afraid to die. He’s done it once already.

Rocky Mountains, 1823. The trappers of the Rocky Mountain Fur Company live a brutal frontier life. Hugh Glass is one of the most respected men in the company, an experienced frontiersman and an expert tracker.But when a scouting mission puts Glass face-to-face with a grizzly bear, he is viciously mauled and not expe
Published January 6th 2015 by Picador (first published June 20th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Revenant, please sign up.
Rob Step one.
Buy borrow or steal the book.
Step two.
Read the first word.
Step three.
Read all of the rest of the words, in sequence.
Step four.
Job done.…more
Step one.
Buy borrow or steal the book.
Step two.
Read the first word.
Step three.
Read all of the rest of the words, in sequence.
Step four.
Job done.(less)
Brenda Adams I read it not long after it was published and was hooked! I thought it was a terrific book showcasing the indomitable will to live and the grit and co…moreI read it not long after it was published and was hooked! I thought it was a terrific book showcasing the indomitable will to live and the grit and courage of the human spirit. Manfred was a prolific, wonderful author!(less)

·  39,437 ratings  ·  3,992 reviews

Start your review of The Revenant
Edward Lorn
Oct 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of historical fiction, preppers, and hunters.
I have a purely subjective hatred for Leonardo Decrapio. Can't stand him. Favorite movie with him in it is The Departed because of the elevator scene. Titanic was also pretty good because douchecanoes don't float. Rose knew she had enough room on that door but why share space with the likes of Depoopio. I hate Leonardo like some people hate going to the dentist. Like people in Hell hate heaters. Like Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

So when I saw the trailer for the film adaptation of this nov
Lyn
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Damn.

That was a good western.

Equal parts Larry McMurtry and Jack London with a nod to Cormac McCarthy, writer Michael Punke delivers a riveting tale of survival and revenge.

In the summer of 1823, fur trapper Hugh Glass, an experienced frontiersman, lowers his guard for a moment and in true Jack London fashion, nature demonstrates how unforgiving a mistake can be, as Glass is viciously mauled by a grizzly bear. His compatriots, already behind schedule and in danger from a rogue branch of a native
Richard
While reading this exciting western adventure, I was constantly reminded of how many things we take for granted today. Little things like blankets, lighters, automatic rifles, and those two words that kept running through my mind while reading: ANTI. BIOTICS.

description

The book is based on the famous true story of Hugh Glass, the frontiersman working as a trapper for the Rocky Mountain Fur Company in 1823 gathering beaver pelts along the Missouri River. Things go south fast when he gets ripped apart by a g
Carol
3.5 Stars

This "gritty" adventure tells the story of Hugh Glass and the near death experience of his encounter with a grizzly in the year 1823.

Relieved of all means to protect himself, abandoned and left for dead on the wild frontier amidst Indians and other foe, Hugh uses his knowledge and tracking skills to seek revenge against his vile compatriots.

Enjoyed this exciting novel for the most part and the historical data and background information of the time, but I was a bit disappointed with the

Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈
My boyfriend was completely brilliant in this film.

So I'm bumping this up on the list because I want more.
Heidi The Reader
The Revenant is a fictional tale based on the real life account of Hugh Glass, a trapper who was attacked by a grizzly bear and then left for dead by the men who had been left to care for him.

This story is so gripping. From the explosive opening moments until the very last page, the reader is practically swept up into the action.

Not only are the men in The Revenant struggling with each other, but Nature herself has a huge role in this survival tale. If the characters aren't freezing, they're st
Justin
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
So the book kicks off with Leonardo DiCaprio getting mauled by a bear so that alone may be enough for you to wanna read this book. Actually, it's Hugh Glass who will be portrayed at the local drive-in cineplex moving picture show this week by D-Cap himself who gets stone cold stunnered outta nowhere by the bear. The bear attack will be in the movie. It's crucial to the story. Don't mess around with bears, man.

Did I expect to really enjoy a book set in the early 1800s about fur traders wandering
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Because some things are too funny to keep to myself . . .

Palm Springs commercial photography
Matthew
This is a dark and gruesome tale of the wild mountain west and the treacherous planes. The key story here is of survival and revenge, tragic heroes and scoundrels, Mountain Men and Natives, truth and fiction.

I am glad that they made a movie of this book, because I am not sure my attention would not have been drawn to it without the hype.

I recommend this book, but only to the strong of stomach!
J.K. Grice
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I need to add some comments here. First of all, I read THE REVENANT before it ever became a film. Don't even get me started on the movie version. Anyway, I posted a long review of this book on Amazon before I joined Goodreads. You can find my thoughts there if you want to investigate. Suffice it to say that I thought Punke's book was outstanding!
The Revenant: A Novel of Revenge is a historical fiction novel themed with survival and of course, revenge. The author Michael Punke incorporated some pretty raw scenes in this story that kept me engaged and on the edge of my seat. There was a parallel and secondary non-wilderness story that I was less than enthusiastic about but all parts were important for the historical component and created a well-rounded tale.

After some research about the nonfictional 19th century main character Hugh Glass,
Jim
Mar 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, western
I never had any real interest in reading this book, being already familiar with the story of Hugh Glass. On top of that, I had already seen the horrid yawner of a movie which involved a pathetic DiCaprio wandering shivering over the Canadian countryside (and later describing a Chinook as evidence of our impending doom from global warming). Unfortunately, a co-worker reasoned that, since he had once seen me reading a book, it would necessarily follow that I would want to read anything that had pa ...more
Dianne
Dec 12, 2015 rated it liked it
This book of frontier justice is based on a true story and the movie is based on the book.....by the time you get to the movie, the facts have been considerably altered. I can tell you there are at least 2 major differences between the book and the movie, and they're mighty big ones.

I read this because I always like to read the book before I see the movie, so mission accomplished. The book was difficult to stick with but finally picked up in the second half.

I'll report back after I see the movi
Wayne Barrett

Okay! Now that I've read it I can head to the theater tomorrow.

I thought the story was good. Punke admits that he has taken a lot of liberties with the story but all in all he still presented us with most of the basic facts. There are some big gaps in the action but they are filled with what I consider some pretty interesting historical knowledge and that is a subject that I find interesting anyway so the lags didn't bother me too much. Well...maybe a little.
Jessaka
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: western
Great book, one of my friends said as she passed the book on to me. I looked at the title, a story of revenge. This book is not for me, I thought. But then I began reading the first chapters, a book on survival. I like survival stories, and this one is based on a true story of a trapper back in the 1800s that is with a company of men who are out doing their own scouting when he gets mauled by a bear. When his company gets back to him, they find that he is almost dead. He is pieced back together, ...more
Asghar Abbas
Nov 04, 2015 rated it really liked it

Whoa!

I am hesitant to say it's breathtaking, but it's breathtaking.

As brutal as the movie was, the book is more brutal and oddly enough more visceral. Nature and open range were not only an element but a part, an additional character of this book.

And what a foe it was. Yet this was also about folly of men. Kinda reminds me and puts me in mind to recite one of my wordlings from 2013.

Don't be afraid of nature
don't be afraid of men
but be oh so very afraid of nature of men.

Read it.

p.s ; aren't t
Ron
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Revenant is fascinating story about a man who suffers countless tragedy at the hands of nature and man, and seeks redemption. It’s so compelling because it is based the real life of Hugh Glass. In the afterward, the author Michael Punke explains that many of the moments in his book are in fact fiction. The bulk of the dramatic events surrounding Glass and his fellow trappers are true, and sometimes so horrific you’d believe they were fabricated. He endured within a year what no man should ha ...more
Jim
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I don't think "Revenge" is considered a book genre, but it should be. Apparently I really love books on revenge.

1820's Middle America. A trapper is mauled (nearly to death) by a grizzly bear and left for dead by his companions. Only he doesn't die. Now, half-dead and unable to stand, he sets out to crawl his way across hostile and untamed land to seek revenge on those who abandoned him.

Soon to be a major motion picture starring Leonardo DiCaprio. This is a man's book. In fact, with the exception
Kavita
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I can't believe I actually enjoyed this book. It was all about fighting and hunting and living in the rough, and not a single woman in the 250 pages. But gosh, it was riveting!

Hugh Glass was a man who lived life on the edge. This was not due to any need or cash crunch. He just liked it, and soon it became the only way he knew how to live. His father wanted him to become a lawyer, but Glass had other plans for his future. In the end, his father relented and allowed him to pursue his dreams. Glas
Karla
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook
Punke did his survivalist research, that's for sure. Every single step of every single thing Glass did to make fires and traps, etc. etc. on his long trek back to civilization after getting mauled by a bear is in excruciating detail in the blandest prose possible.

If any book could benefit from visual shortcuts and a condensing of action & time, it's this one. Should have just stuck with the movie.

Total snorefest.
Aishu Rehman
This Writer satisfies my expectations of what I think makes a great story. He describes America in the early 1800's in enough detail to engage all of my senses: I could see, hear, taste, touch and smell the great outdoors in my vivid imagination, including the blood of a freshly killed and butchered animal, followed by the savory roasting of meat over an open fire. His dialogue feels true to his characters. Sometimes Mr. Punke can only describe the silence that passes between his characters, but ...more
Selene
Mar 04, 2016 rated it liked it
The Revenant is a story of survival, determination, rage, and want for revenge. The overall plot was good but the detail (while useful for the story) made the story hard to read at times. I found at times it read very fictional and during others it seemed very non fiction which made the story seem chunked.

Michael Punke did a fantastic job with his research. I loved that this story had me looking into Hugh Glass' history and the 19th century fur trade.
Darwin8u
Jan 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
"Revenge is a dish that tastes best when served cold."
- Mario Puzo, The Godfather

description

The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?
- Edgar Allan Poe

So, I did this totally proper like. I read the book first. Untainted by the movie and then went to see the movie. The book was good. It was interesting and had great characters. The writing was ok. Perhaps, I've read too many good Western/Frontier novels (Blood Meri
Bettie
Description: The year is 1823, and the trappers of the Rocky Mountain Fur Company live a brutal frontier life. Trapping beaver, they contend daily with the threat of Indian tribes turned warlike over the white men's encroachment on their land, and other prairie foes—like the unforgiving landscape and its creatures. Hugh Glass is among the Company's finest men, an experienced frontiersman and an expert tracker. But when a scouting mission puts him face-to-face with a grizzly bear, he is viciously ...more
Bill McDavid
This was a quick and enjoyable book to read. Upon finishing it my first thought was that the ending was anticlimactic and the subtitle (A Novel of Revenge) was not well suited for the book. However, after thinking about it a little more I realized that perhaps the ending, though fictionalized, is a very good summation of the nature of revenge in the real world... that it is never all it is cracked up to be.

I will also say that this book does a great job of putting into perspective how very easy
Trina (Between Chapters)
The biggest problem I had while reading this book was that the writing just didn't capture any emotion or personality. It was very cut and dried distant third person, but as an account of slightly fictionalized true historical events though, I do think it made the story of Glass accessible to a modern audience. The book is very different than the movie, but this is much closer to the real story of Hugh Glass's life.

Another fall back of the book is the ending. There doesn't seem to be one. If it
♥ Sandi ❣
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1-have
This novel is fiction - based on true facts -but fiction.

Hugh Glass is a trapper who works for the Rocky Mountain Fur Company. In 1823, while scouting food for the men he was traveling with, he accidentally comes upon a bear who mauls him, while trying to protect her cubs. Glass is next to death. The company tries to carry him, as they continue their travels to the Fort, but find that this is not working so decide to leave him, to prevent their possible detection by the local rampaging Indians.
11811 (Eleven)
Feb 29, 2016 rated it liked it
I have no idea why this was supposed to be so awesome. I liked it but it was a firm '3 star' like, not a 'holy shit that was so awesome' like. Maybe the film will enlighten me.
LeAnne: GeezerMom
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well, after just digesting a group read set in the Civil War, you'd think I'd be sick of hanging out in the 1800s. Nope! Incredibly, I've been happily glued to The Revenant: A Novel of Revenge, set in 1823. Yes, this is the book on which the Leonardo DiCaprio movie was based, but I didn't let that stop me. If you've seen the trailers or glimpsed the book jacket, none of the below will be a big spoiler - although there are things in the book ignored by the movie and of course, Hollywood's heroism ...more
Brandon
“Glass became suddenly aware of the sound of the river. It was an odd thing to notice, he thought. He had clung to the river for weeks. Yet suddenly he heard the waters with the acute sensitivity of new discovery. He turned from the fire to stare at the river. It struck him as strange that the smooth flow of water would create any sound at all. Or that the wind would, for that matter. It occurred to him that it wasn’t so much the water or the wind that accounted for the noise, but rather the obj ...more
Books2Movies Club: * The Revenant - book and movie 1 6 Aug 02, 2020 03:09AM
Play Book Tag: The Revenant by Michael Punke - 4 stars 13 25 Apr 19, 2017 12:53PM
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect page numbers/book cover 4 16 Nov 05, 2016 05:42PM
Play Book Tag: The Revenant / Michael Punke. 3 stars 8 18 Sep 09, 2016 06:57PM

• True Grit
  • Wild Men, Wild Alaska: Finding What Lies Beyond the Limits
  • No Country for Old Men
  • Zoom
  • Monsterland 2
  • The Sisters Brothers
  • Dead Man's Walk (Lonesome Dove, #3)
  • Lonesome Dove  (Part 1 of 3)
  • All the Pretty Horses (The Border Trilogy, #1)
  • In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex
  • Bug Spray: A Tale of Madness
  • Rabbi Jesus: An Intimate Biography
  • Constitutional Journal: A Correspondent's Report from the Convention of 1787
  • The Age of Federalism: The Early American Republic, 1788-1800
Michael Punke is a writer, novelist, professor, policy analyst, policy consultant, attorney and currently the Deputy United States Trade Representative and US Ambassador to the World Trade Organization in Geneva, Switzerland. He is best known for writing The Revenant: A Novel of Revenge (2002), which was adapted into film as The Revenant (2015), directed by Alejandro González Iñárritu, with a scre ...more

News & Interviews

“there are none so deaf as those that will not hear.” 25 likes
“If he only made three miles a day, so be it. Better to have those three miles behind him than ahead.” 16 likes