Start by marking “Secrets of Hallstead House” as Want to Read:

Secrets of Hallstead House

“You are not wanted here. Go away from Hallstead Island or you will be very sorry you stayed.”

Macy Stoddard had hoped to ease the grief of losing her parents in a fiery car crash by accepting a job as a private nurse to the wealthy and widowed Alexandria Hallstead. But her first sight of Hallstead House is of a dark and forbidding home. She quickly finds its winding halls

Published by eKensington (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Secrets of Hallstead House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets of Hallstead House

Elizabeth H.
I really enjoyed the book. I loved the twists and turns and dark secrets revealed in the story. I love reading these kinds of books because I always enjoy puzzling out the mysteries as the story goes along to see if I’m correct at the end. I also enjoyed the history of Boldt Castle and the Thousand Islands areas that were featured in the story. I ended up Googling all the places mentioned to get a feel for what the characters experienced.

I think the reader should experience the mystery for thems
Cary Frates
Jul 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SHH certainly does not have the pace of a barn-burner, but its gentle ride-along and lovely writing make for a good read. Macy Stoddard is called to a new job in a location I never knew existed – Thousand Islands, NY, on the St. Lawrence River – to be a personal rehab nurse for an elderly woman. Very early on, Macy must face the realization she is not wanted there by almost every household member, other than the lady who owns the house and is her charge. Nevertheless, Macy perseveres, even as ev ...more
sue
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog-tours
Excellent!

When Macy went to work at Hallstead House as a personal nurse to Alexandria Hallstead she was trying to come to terms with her parents death in an horrific accident which caused both of their deaths. But Macy discovered more than just being there as a nurse.

I cannot say what else she discovered or that would be giving one heck of a spoiler.

What I can say is, this book had me gripped from cover to cover and I had to stay with it until the end.
Some did not welcome Macy into the Hallstea
Melina
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an amazing first novel by Amy Reade. Once I started it, I almost, literally, could not put it down. It kept my attention from the moment I started it, till the chilling ending. This book was very well written and that made it very easy to read. It was set in a great place and the descriptions were wonderful. It was also filled with believable characters. If you are looking for a suspenseful read that reminds you of Victoria Holt or Phyllis Whitney, then this is the book for you. Great j ...more
Becky
I loved the setting of this book--the Thousand Islands (really, as one of the character points out, it's more like 1,800 islands--but "thousand" is much more catchy, obviously) is an awesome location. Having been there many times for family vacations, I can attest first hand that the many islands and hundreds of vacation (and otherwise) homes there could inspire legions of stories.

(Naturally my personal favorite is Boldt Castle--so imagine my excitement when Macy and Pete get a private tour!

See
Amy
May 09, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a fairly blah debut novel. Macy Stodderd, at the ripe old age of 20, wants a fresh start. And she is a nurse? Can you become a nurse that quickly? Anyway, she heads off to some island to be a private nurse for an elderly woman who broke a hip. There was some mystery, a super bland romance that confused me because there was very little character development, a pretty obvious reveal, and then it was over.
Nancy LiPetri
Sep 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
This novel reminded me of the Phyllis Whitney mysteries I used to enjoy. It's a soothing read with the first surprising twist, for me, at page 100. The cover art and the Thousand Islands setting drew me in. I enjoyed learning about a new locale.
Moon Shine Art Spot ~ Lisa
Macy Stoddard had hoped to ease the grief of losing her parents in a fiery car crash by accepting a job as a private nurse to the wealthy and widowed Alexandria Hallstead. But her first sight of Summerplace is of a dark and forbidding home. She quickly finds its winding halls and shadowy rooms filled with secrets and suspicions. Alex seems happy to have Macy’s help, but others on the island, including Alex’s sinister servants and hostile relatives, are far less welcoming. Watching eyes, veiled t ...more
Mary Brown
Jun 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Secrets Of Hallstead House by Amy M. Reade is the story of Macy Stoddard’s adventures while working on Hallstead Island. She goes there to get away from a broken heart caused by the death of her parents. She takes a job as a private nurse for Alexandria Halstead , who seems happy to have her. But many others are not so pleased with her presence. Macy begins getting threats and then things go from bad to worse. Will Macy survive her time on the island or will she lose her life to the Secrets ...more
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Family mystery:

Family ties, deceit and a murder mystery, ‘Secrets of Hallstead House’ becomes a “who dunnit” story as readers follow Macy in her search for answers. With a bit of romance and plenty of characters to suspect, I found myself pointing the finger of blame towards many of the cast.

That being said, I did hope that there would be a bit more substance to the mystery that Macy is trying to solve. True, I did not predict the ending but the red herrings became quite obvious as the plot deve
Giovana (laBOOK'S Blog)
This review was originally posted at Corazones Literarios... This book was giving by the publisher through BBT vía Netgalley in exchange of a honest review...

The Secrets of Hallstead House was a great read. Well constructed mystery and lovely characters.

Macy is a nurse who is running away from the sadness that her life had became. Thanks to that, she accepted a job as a private nurse to the wealthy Alexandria Hallstead, but when she arrived in the house, weird things started to happen and danger
TKay
Feb 05, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you can't sleep, or your life is so full of excitement that you're craving a night of boredom, I recommend "Secrets of Hallstead House."

This author is operating under the misconception that endless pages of ornate description equals good writing. She relies on strings of adjectives to set the tone, and over-uses adverbs to color the sparse yet banal dialogue. Every tiny, nitpicking detail is faithfully relayed. As a result, the plot crawls forward with all the momentum of a dehydrated snail.

I
Reeca Elliott
I really enjoyed some aspects of this book and some I did not. I absolutely loved reading about the Thousand Islands. I did not know this place existed. I would love to travel and see these wonderful islands and the homes that inhabit them.

Some areas of the book are little overly dramatic and very contrived. I did guess the plot and the perpetrator, so the story held very little surprises for me.

I did enjoy reading about the mysteries of the house. Hallstead House is the perfect setting for thi
Robyn Koshel
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Macy goes to Hallstead house after a personal tragedy to nurse the elderly Alexandria Halstead. Left alone in a gloomy mansion, she starts to uncover it’s dark secret.

Secrets of Hallstead house is almost like a Gothic cozy mystery with plenty of red-herrings and sleight of hand. It is the perfect afternoon read with touches of Daphne Du Maurier and Mary Stewart. As well as being a kind of who done it, there is a charming romance too. Secrets of Hallstead house is set around the Thousand Isles an
My Book Addiction and More MBA
SECRETS OF HALLSTEAD HOUSE by Amy M. Reade is Romantic Suspense. This is the tale of Macy Stoddard. Her adventures while working on Hallstead Island, as a Rehab nurse to Alexandria Hallstead, she is trying to come to terms with the death of her parents. What she discovers is so much more than secrets and nursing. Written in first person. She encounters is threats, hostility, and more than secrets.

This is not a fast paced story, but is well written with many facets to the characters and the story
Eunice Korczak
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Secrets of Hallstead House

Secrets of Hallstead House is an engrossing mystery taking place at a river island home . . . not just a rustic cabin, but an elegant home among the castles nestled on the neighboring Thousand Islands. Well written, well characterized, and a skillfully crafted plot.
Leslie
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Clean mystery, no gratuitous sex.

I Read this book because it was described as a Christian mystery. God and religion are not in the plot at all. What is missing from this enjoyable novel are the obligatory sex scenes. Seems a shame that a novel without graphic sex was advertised as a Christian novel, which could narrow its audience.
Kimberly
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nice sort of timeless story, reminiscent of Nancy Drew and classic Gothic mysteries by Barbara Michaels. Loved the detailed descriptions of the location. Certainly hope to read more books by this author.
Karen
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't able to really devote time to this gem until Sunday morning and once I really started I found that I couldn't/wouldn't put it down willingly! It's a beautiful tale set in one of the most beautiful places there is -- the Thousand Islands. I was born at the eastern end of the Thousand Islands region and while we moved from the area before I was old enough to really know anything of it, it's still near and dear to my heart.
It's the story of Macy Stoddard who has accepted a job as the pers
Colleen M. Chesebro
May 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nurse, Macy Stoddard is desperately looking for a new beginning. Loss has become her sole existence after the deaths of both of her parents. To make matters worse, her fiancé deserts her just when she needs him the most. Now she finds herself totally alone in the world. To turn the corner of tragic life events, Macy decides to take a position on a remote island in upstate New York where Alexandria Hallstead, the elderly mistress of Hallstead House needs the care of a qualified nurse.

Immediately,
Ionia
Jun 18, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a nice afternoon read told from first person POV. Macy is a young character and that was reflected in her actions throughout the story. Some of the choices she made were questionable, but I thought her actions did have merit.

I liked the idea behind this novel. The fact that the characters were on an island rather than just at some creepy old house added an element of originality. The standoffish housekeeper and her husband and the other interesting guests that showed up throughout the
Sue Ross
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Six months after her parents were killed and she split with her fiancé , Macy takes a job on Halstead Island as a private nurse for a older woman who has broken her hip. Her arrival is met with nothing less than contempt and displeasure from everyone but Alex the woman she is to care for.
As time goes by, secrets begin to show themselves and Macy finds herself in a turmoil as to weather she should leave for another job or stay to solve some of the mysteries that surround Halstead House.
This is t
Judith Lucci
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A well-crafted read about a young nurses recovering from catastrophe and her experience working in a wealthy but dysfunctional household in a beautiful lake area near the St. Lawrence River. This author is gifted with the ability to pull her reader into the story through approachable, emotionally appropriate characters and vivid descriptions. This was a great mystery with several twists and turns. I would recommend it highly. Five stars!
Julie
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Secrets of Hallstead House is a good mystery set in interesting surroundings that the reader can see through the description of the written word. Amy Reade does a great job of weaving a mystery, drawing the reader in to the mystery and the characters personalities, all the while making the story more interesting because of the surroundings of islands and water.
Kathy Holm
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Exciting journey into terror!..loved the book!

,I would have loved to have been the character and experienced that adventure..want to read more of her stories..wonderful! And high action..
Ruth Barrineau-brooks
I loved Amy Reade's first book. This mystery was a real page turner, and the plethora of suspects reminded me of Murder on the Orient Express. It kept me guessing until the very end!!! The characters were also well developed. I highly recommend this book!
Jenn *loves dragons and wolves*
This was a great book. I thought I had it all figured out who the killer was but I was so wrong! I loved the mystery and suspense of the story.
sandy
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful read

This book hooked me from the first page,I loved it.what is going on at hallstead house?? Secrets,murder,and lies, everything to make a very good book.
Anne
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Good old fashioned who done it! Plot twists that kept me interested.
Mary Mathews
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
The tale moved slowly at times but the story was good and the ending was satisfying.

• The Silent Bullet (Craig Kennedy, Scientific Detective #1)
  • Bob's Hungry Ghost
  • Game of Clones (The Clone Chronicles, #3)
  • 365 Daily Meditations for On and Off the Mat: A Year in Hot Yoga
  • A Nero Wolfe Mystery: Bitter End
  • A Bespoke Murder (Home Front Detective #1)
  • Missing Monkey! (Good Crooks, #1)
  • Doodle Adventures: The Search for the Slimy Space Slugs!
  • My Zombie Hamster
  • Beyond Malice
  • Animal Planet Wild Animals (Animal Bites Series)
  • The Story of Classic Crime in 100 Books
  • Claude at the Beach
  • The Sham
  • Wipeout of the Wireless Weenies: And Other Warped and Creepy Tales (Weenies series, #7)
  • Crime Rave
  • On Behalf of the Family (A Detective Dave Mason Mystery Book 3)
  • The War of Words
I am a USA Today bestselling author of contemporary and gothic women’s fiction. I am also a recovering lawyer. I live in New Jersey my husband, three kids, a great Bouvier des Flandres (that’s a dog, for those of you who may be unfamiliar), two cats, and a fish. When I’m not writing, you will find me in the kitchen or the laundry room, but I much prefer the kitchen. I love to cook and share the th ...more
“It must be nice to work outdoors in solitude, I thought. Problems start when you have to deal with people.” 0 likes