Start by marking “Kingdom of Clockwork” as Want to Read:
Kingdom of Clockwork

Kingdom of Clockwork

(Kingdom of Clockwork #1)

When the oil and gas ran out, civilisation collapsed. Now, centuries later, mankind is once again beginning to discover the secrets of the past ... starting with clockwork.

In a future Denmark, the King's clockmaker becomes enmeshed in a web of court intrigue and undertakes a fateful journey to the Far North, where he encounters many strange phenomena that challenge his rat
Published January 17th 2014 by Black Swan

To ask other readers questions about Kingdom of Clockwork, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kingdom of Clockwork

Start your review of Kingdom of Clockwork
Sidsel Pedersen
4,5 stars
The book captured me from page one, even though I was reading in a busy train after a long day.
I really liked the voice of the pov character and the narrative style of an historical document written by the pov character. It had me reading into the night, even after a long day at a convention and that long train ride home.
It is very much a book about a man trapped in politics against his better judgement - he is swept up by forces around him and tries to deal with it as best he can. I
Samantha
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was Delightful!
It takes place in a future time in our world, where civilization as we know it has crumbled and now a new civilization has developed, one where clockwork gears are the extent of their technological advancement. The author's take on how this new civilization views its ancient history (our time) is Fantastic. They're using a mix of real historical texts and fantasy stories to try and understand their history and the mix-up of facts and fiction has led to some very strange
Margaret
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure: I was a beta reader.
I am so glad that this book is now available for everyone to read. It is a delight from beginning to end. Some of the aspects I most enjoyed included recognizing things from our world that are a mystery to the people in the story (which takes place 500 years from now), the development of the characters and their relationships, and the sheer adventure. It is a novelty to have a steampunk book set in Scandanavia, and this novel makes the most of the setting.
Rea
Sylvi Christin
Mar 23, 2017 rated it liked it
A bit of oldschool sci-fi sprinkled with post-apocalypse framed in clockpunk.

I really like the journaling voice of the narration, and the story itself is compelling enough if you like clockpunk tech and political intrigue. I also like that it's set in a sort of post-apocalyptic Scandinavia, carrying a lot of references to Scandinavian culture and mythology. It's a simple yet not at all predictable story, and though the information dealt to the reader is consistent with the narrator's social posi
Anirban Chatterjee
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Although it begins rather blandly and takes sweet, sweet time to pick up pace, the latter part of the book is quite rewarding, in a steampunkish-adventurer sort of way. The way modern technology of the current weather is being depicted as feared, fabeld relics of bygone eras, is also interesting. However, the ending is a rather shameless cliffhanger, purposed to keep the reader glued to the series. And yeah, the second part begins to lose steam soon.
Sheri
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: steampunk
I listened to the audiobook of this for a review for FangirlNation.

Great story, once I figured out I couldn't be sitting to listen to it otherwise I'd fall asleep. The writer narrates and his Irish lilt is too soothing.

The story itself is a steampunk adventure full of political intrigue, philosophical introspection and secrets. Really good and would definitely recommend to those who like the steampunk style of writing.
Leila P
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Kirja ei ihan vastannut odotuksia, ikävä kyllä. Oli tässä joitakin hyviäkin juttuja (kuten irrationaalinen maakerros!), mutta tarina ei koskaan oikein imaissut mukaansa. Loppua kohti mielenkiintoni oli lopahtaa kokonaan.
Joni Kettunen
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mukavan erilainen tuulahdus tulevaisuutta. Lempeä, kuvaa hyvin tarinankerronnan luonnetta. Sankarimme vajavaisuudet tuodaan moneen kertaan esiin, mutta niistä huolimatta tai niiden takia hän löytää itsensä.

Vallan mainiota, rentoa luettavaa.
Anna Wallman
Sep 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Bought it from author on steampunk event! Nice to get a steampunk view on the Nordic countries.
Cynthia Witherspoon
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
You can be damned if you question the society you live in.

This was the message I walked away with after reading Kingdom of Clockwork. As I read this book, I felt as if I were reading a philosophical debate - which isn't a bad thing. I love stories that make me think. I love characters who question their worlds. Their surroundings.

And despite his upbringing, Karl Neilsen did just that.

O'Shea's strength lies in his ability to use metaphors. The clocks in his story represented society to me. Th
Gabija
Jun 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
This wasn't an effortless read.
The somewhat dry tone of the narrator was very different - in a good way! - from the usual pompousness and pretense that many other steampunk novels tend to demonstrate; a most refreshing change. However, it took quite some time for me to warm up to.

The unpredictability of the plot; interesting psychological and political insight; the aesthetically pleasing, poetic idea of the "dreaming earth" and the underground being "the irrational layer"; the (environmental?)
elif
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nice fast and interesting read. The language is a little dull at times and repetitive . The main character lacks depth but I think he meant to be a caricature of a naive hero anyway.

I did enjoy the alternative future , touch of steam punk, the details of machinery and clockwork. The mad king and his commentaries were excellent metaphors for power and politics.

All in all, nice story.

Elizabeth Cencetti
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great read, entirely plausible (well, with a bit of imagination but that's half the fun). In fact, it's the second time I've read it.
Stacey Richardson
Sep 16, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• Wat jij niet ziet
  • The Freedom Writers Diary
  • Tuesday's Gone (Frieda Klein, #2)
  • Some Old Lover's Ghost
  • Missing Persons
  • Night Flight
  • The Search (DC Ian Bradshaw, #3)
  • The Watcher in the Shadows (Niebla, #3)
  • Dolores Dolly Poppedijn
  • Ferskenen
  • Dark Saturday (Frieda Klein, #6)
  • A Very Murderous Christmas: Ten Classic Crime Stories for the Festive Season
  • The High Mountains of Portugal
  • The Confessions of Dorian Gray: The Fallen King of Britain
  • Princess of Thorns: A Lela Short Story
  • Call of the Herald (The Dawning of Power, #1)
  • Doctor Who: ...ish
  • Stoorzender
Billy O’Shea grew up at an airport on the west coast of Ireland.

While trying to learn Irish he served on the Gaeltacht front in Ballingeary, Co. Cork and was invalided out. He studied at Trinity College Dublin and Mountjoy Jail, but dropped out of both before completing his education. He then briefly pursued a career as a sitcom saboteur with the Irish television station RTÉ before being washed o

Kingdom of Clockwork (3 books)
  • It's Only A Clockwork Moon
  • A Clockwork Carol (Kingdom of Clockwork Book 3)

News & Interviews