Start by marking “Nano Contestant - Episode 1: Whatever It Takes (Nano Contestant Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
Nano Contestant - Episode 1: Whatever It Takes (Nano Contestant Series, #1)

Nano Contestant - Episode 1: Whatever It Takes (Nano Contestant #1)

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  281 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Fans of the Hunger Games and Sci-Fi Thrillers will love the new Nano Contestant Series!

NANO CONTESTANT SERIES: Episode 1 of 12 Serialized Episodes

In 2114, Pinnacle Corporation, the world’s largest tech company, hosts the Tech Games to showcase the world’s latest technology. The contestants must battle it out in 11 brutal games to ultimately win a $100 million prize!

T
Published July 2014 by Leif Sterling Press (first published June 23rd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Nano Contestant - Episode 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nano Contestant - Episode 1

Dixie Conley
Oct 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Well, this isn't a book, so much as the introductory section of one. If it were part of a whole book, I'd certainly keep reading, as what's here has intrigued me enough to do so, but as it is, I don't think I'll take the time or trouble to track down the rest of it, especially as it appears that the book is being published in episodes.

This is the story of a man who's competing in a athletic contest for those altered by digital, robotic or nano means. He's doing this to get information on the spo
Clare O'Beara
I enjoyed parts of this tale. However it loses a star for spending quite a lot time going on about needles stuck into eyeballs. And another star for ending as a race is about to start when we have not seen any real benefit to the person who endured said needles.

A young man whose father is jailed for selling weapons to terrorists, gets together with a female pal who has a smart computer which can access sensitive documents - this is a polite convention that computers can hack into a judge's bank
Farhan
Oct 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Quite an engaging first episode to what could be a good series: a man bent on avenging his scientist father's wrongful imprisonment decides to infiltrate the evil corporation by qualifying and then winning their annual Tech Games.

The games involve humans who are either digitally enhanced with computer software running their mental and physical faculties or people fitted with robotic implants. Our hero fits in the third category as he has a special nanotechnology augmenting all his functions. Th
Gareth
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
I would really have liked to have given the author five stars because as a first work the story and its credibility are very good.

However the story itself is split and until I reach its conclusion in the later books I will rate them individually.

I promise however that if the rest live up to the first books promise I will write further reviews and increase the rating to the magic five.

Not a spoiler but if you are squeamish at all, the authors description of a medical procedure part way through is
Harry Miller
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Mr Sterling has taken a different look at nanotechnology. The story follows the actions of the lead character, rather than what the nano does. An interesting storyline that brings you back to looking at family values, and what a person might do to save what's left of the family that he has. A possible love interest? I guess we will find out more in the next volume.
Fabi
Great start to this serial. Now so just need a good sale or a bundled compilation to continue.
Stephen Marquez
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Running

First off I really hate being left on such a cliffhanger. That being said, I felt this was a really well written book that kept you thinking. It is a complex story that definitely needs multiple books to tell the whole story without losing too much detail. I am thinking of getting the next book to find out what happens.
dean landsberg
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant

Just brilliantly done. The perfect amount of tech and human interest to hold you fast and keep you reading page after page...
Ryan Corrigan
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good

This has a thrilling plot that draws you in from the beginning. Well done for such a good book .
Andrew Ferrell
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lief takes us into a futuristic world where biotech is nearly as commonplace as Starbucks is on every corner today.

What would you do for $100 Million dollars? Would you give up a limb or two for cybernetic implants to increase your speed or strength? Would you have specially engineered DNA to make yourself the better competitor? How about experimental nanotechnology that could blow up and kill you?

Roland has a secret. His father is a brilliant biotech engineer, but now he's facing a death senten
Andrew
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: robots-cyborgs
Those of us that grew up on the Space-Opera remember, the innocent Maiden who is attacked by the dastardly villain/critter that is only intent is to destroy all of the good upstanding Citizens of the Galactic Empire. or that Dashing Hero, , gleaming teeth and all, that stands against them...What no one ever thought of was, what a toll it would take on such a "Hero" to be "On the Spot" 24/7s say,when he is out of his element,, or how, in all of this there even Could be a "Total Innocent" that wer ...more
K.J. Chapman
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's 2114, and Roland needs information on Pinnacle, the world's leading tech company who hold the answers for his father's incarceration on death row. What better way to get close to the corporation than by entering the deadly Tech Games; a Pinnacle run tournament to showcase the latest technology with a prize of £100 million.

This book has no conclusion. It is part one of a much longer story, hence why I couldn't give it 5*. It is a unique way of writing a story because you risk leaving readers
Karsyn
Apr 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nbrc-wobble
Enjoyable, but WAY too short! I'm not a fan of Episodes on a whole, cuz i'd rather have the full book, but it was enjoyable. Loved that the Title of each chapter was within that chapter, except for chapter 4. That drove me nutters that it wasn't there. Also, my only other issue was that the characters said their names ALL the time. For a 101 page book, the MC's name was used over 500 times. Seems excessive to me. Story was enjoyable though and I do want to read more.
Emma Christina
I started this book and just couldn't stop, I devoured it in an hour and a half,great stuff. The downside it's only 100 pages and there's 12 books, I really want to read the next ones but it's quite expensive. So my recommendation is if you are cheapskate like me do not start this book as you will need to read the rest of the series too. I suppose this makes this both a bad and good review.
Michelle Kuipers
Clumsily written and does not get close to the meat of the story in the first episode. Nonetheless, deals with very intriguing concepts and a fun twist on all the parts that were good about the Hunger Games with some great extra stuff that definitely sets it apart from Hunger Games.
Jean
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating Read

For a short story this was a great read. I cannot wait to read the next installment. My only regret was that it was a short story.
Michelle Correll
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nano Contestant - Episode 1 has me really fired up for the remainder of the series. I hope the don't disappoint!

Four stars for some minor grammatical issues, but overall a clean read.
Jim Garrison
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A good beginning to a great series! Good guys, bad guys, future tech and interesting characters. What more could you ask?
Mary
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Though I enjoyed this, I wish it had been put together in one volume instead of stretched out to 12 "episodes".
Velvetink
Jun 10, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
smashwords
Lon
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A fresh take on human competition. Excited to start the next episode.
Harm Hazeu
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the first book of the "Nano Contestant "! Looking forward to the rest of the series.
C.F. Villion
Talk about a fast read! :) I am glad I entered this late, so I can straight to the next one. ;)
Mary Sue Newson
Dec 17, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Rating

I liked this book. It is actually a prequel to the rest of the series. When$$$ allows, I will be reading the rest. Can't wait!
angela reed
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG! Cliffhanger!

I'm dying to know how the race goes! I'm invested. I need to know that he gets retribution for his father!
Rui
Feb 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent story, but a bit short. It's almost like a Light Novel.
Kenn Anderson
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Short but very captivating. Can't wait until I can read Episode 2.
Creig Sigurdson
Jan 22, 2015
Amy Best
Sep 10, 2016
Larry
Mar 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Messiah Node (LINK Angel, #3)
  • Runner (Run #1)
  • Imperfect (Lacuna)
  • The Ultimate Man's Survival Guide: Rediscovering the Lost Art of Manhood
  • History and Lore (Our Troth, #1)
  • The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Game of the Year Edition Official Game Guide
  • Allen & Mike's Really Cool Backpackin' Book: Traveling & camping skills for a wilderness environment
  • Numenera Corebook
  • Sky Hunter (The Targon Tales #0.5)
  • Bushcraft 101: A Field Guide to the Art of Wilderness Survival
  • Digital Divide (Rachel Peng, #1)
  • The Elysium Commission
  • Welcome Home / Go Away (Kris Longknife, #9.5)
  • Mammoth Trouble (Noah Zarc, #1)
  • The Last Roman (The Praetorian Series: Book I)
  • Messenger (AMP, #1)
  • Caverns of Socrates
  • 23 Years on Fire (Cassandra Kresnov, #4)
8420625
Leif Sterling has always had a rich imagination and an eccentricity for all things technical. He read every door-stoppingly, thick computer manual that he could get his hands on from the time he was twelve on. Not surprisingly, college yielded bachelors and masters degrees in IT for him, which has come in handy when describing futuristic nano systems that haven’t been invented yet.

He enjoys using
More about Leif Sterling...