Start by marking “The Story of Us” as Want to Read:
The Story of Us

The Story of Us

A gripping love story from the bestselling author of Fractured.

Emma Marshall can't wait to marry her childhood sweetheart, Richard. But then a tragic accident changes everything, and introduces a stranger, Jack, into her life. Gorgeous and mysterious, Jack is like no-one Emma has met before. But Richard is the man she loves...

Two different men.

Two different destinies.

How
Published August 14th 2014 by Head of Zeus (first published August 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Story of Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of Us

Carol [Goodreads Addict]
The Story of Us is the second book by Dani Atkins. It was first released in the UK last year and is due out in June here in the U.S. Her first book, Then and Always was a completely wonderful book. So I had high expectations for this second one. And let me tell you, it did not disappoint.

Just when you think you are exactly where you want to be, that your life is going in just the direction it was meant to, life has a way of turning everything upside down. One little moment in time can change th
Ivy
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, from-tests
Eine wunderschöne Geschichte vor einem tragischen Hintergrund, mit viel Gefühl erzählt und spannend zu lesen.
Der Verlauf ist zwar etwas vorhersehbar aber mit ganz vielen kleinen, unerwarteten Wendungen weiß man eigentlich doch nicht so Recht wohin das Ganze läuft. Und das emotionale Ende überrascht.

Emmas großes Ereignis steht bevor, sie erinnert sich beim betrachten ihrer Narbe aber an damals und erzählt uns ihre Geschichte...
Damals, der Unfall nach ihrem Junggesellinnen-Abschied, bei dem ihre
Shannon
Aug 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
I really enjoyed reading this book, but it honestly wasn't something spectacular. I liked definitely liked the storyline, and even though the ending was not exactly how I predicted it to be, the book was rather predictable. Regarding the spectacularity, this book wasn't anywhere near Fractured, sadly enough.
Odette Knappers
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: inbezit, 18tbr2018, 2018
De boeken van Dani Atkins vind ik erg bijzonder. Ze schrijft niet bijzonder goed of knap vind ik, op enkele momenten in haar boeken na - die me dan zo enorm aangrijpen dat er een ugly cry aanval van meerdere minuten volgt.

Dit boek, dit verhaal, vooral het begin, gaf me echt een brok in de keel. Je zou maar in die situatie zitten, mijn hart brak al een beetje.

Ondanks de voorspelbaarheid van het verhaal bleef de brok in mijn keel zitten. Best knap. Ik had niet zoveel met de love triangle (#teamjac
Megan Readinginthesunshine
I am a MASSIVE fan of Dani Atkins and her writing. Her first novel, Fractured, was one of the BEST books I read in 2013, so with this in mind I was eagerly anticipating her latest novel!

Emma Marshall is so excited to marry Richard, her childhood sweetheart. But when there is a tragic accident, this changes everything – and unexpectedly brings a stranger, Jack, into her life. Jack is gorgeous and mysterious, like no one Emma has ever met before, but Richard is the man she loves. With two differen
Paula Sealey
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really wish I hadn't left this book languishing on my Kindle for so long, because it hands down has become one of my favourite romance reads this year.

Emma and her best friends Amy and Caroline are involved in a tragic accident on their way home from Emma's Hen party. Jack, an American visitor stops to help, and ends up saving Emma's life. Strangely drawn to each other, Emma begins to question her relationship with Richard, her childhood sweetheart. Their wedding is postponed to allow them ti
Hildy
May 09, 2016 rated it liked it
This is my first book by Dani Atkins. I'd not heard of her before but my friend was reading this so I thought I'd pick it up as well.

Overall, I was entertained. I don't think it will be one to stick with me for too long but I was definitely interested as I was reading it. The best part was that Atkins created a story with really good, kind men. It's nice not to read about chest-pounding, over-bearing alphas sometimes. The first half had me appreciating the way she gradually revealed her story.
Tanya (Girl Plus Books)
REVIEW TO BE POSTED ON RELEASE DATE: JUNE 9, 2015

*ARC provided by NetGalley and Random House/Ballantine Books in exchange for an honest review.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

4 STARS

The Story of Us is so much more than meets the eye. I was expecting a pleasant contemporary romance but what I got was an emotional tale that touches on themes of grief, infidelity, love, friendship, family, and so much more.

Emma is days away from mar
Astrid
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, romane
Sehr, sehr, sehr vorhersehbar. Ich wusste nach den ersten 10 Seiten um was es gehen würde. Es gab keinen wirklichen Wendenpunkt, alles lief genau auf das hinaus was ich vermutet hatte. Keine Kreativität oder Spannung, weil die Hinweise quasi Neonleuchtreklamen waren. Echt schade.
Yv
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terwijl ik de laatste bladzijde omsloeg, veegde ik stiekem de traan die over mijn wang rolde weg en trok ik de mouwen van mijn vest omlaag om de mierentietjes te verbergen. Ik weet niet wat het precíés is wat mij zo heeft gegrepen, maar feit is dat ik het zeer zeker niet heb drooggehouden. Bij Fractured, het eerste boek dat ik van Dani Atkins las, had ik hetzelfde gevoel.

Als de vriendinnen Emma, Amy en Caroline terugrijden van de gezellige bachelorette van Emma, staat er ineens een dier op de we
Emma
Nov 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
Horrific.
Patrizia
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, read-in-german
3.5 Sterne für viel Gefühl
 Megan • Reading Books Like a Boss (book blog)

I was absolutely hooked on this story in the beginning but didn't like how the author made the reader like and dislike the two love interests for the sake of convenience.

Two weeks from getting married to her longtime on-and-off boyfriend Richard, Emma is in a car accident with two of her best friends. The accident is the catalyst for the new path her life will now take. The man who saved her life—Jack—left an impression on her and she can't seem to stop thinking about him and soon finds herself
Steffi
3.5

Ich habe "Fractured", den Debütroman von Dani Atkins, absolut geliebt und es war eines meiner Jahreshighlights im Jahr 2014, dementsprechend hoch waren meine Erwartungen an ihren zweiten Roman.

Nach dem Lesen bin ich nun etwas hin und her gerissen, denn die Geschichte hat mir zwar gefallen, aber sie konnte mich leider nicht so tief berühren wie "Fractured".
Ein Grund dafür ist vermutlich, dass man gleich zu Beginn mitten ins Geschehen geworfen wird, die Charaktere noch nicht wirklich kennt und
Kiran
Sep 14, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: chick-lit
Is every Dani Atkins book pretty much based on the same weak naïve premise?! This is the second one I've read within the space of a few weeks (as they were all on the 99p daily Kindle deal). And it's yet another tale of a close-knit group of school friends, who on the eve of some change in direction for their lives (high school graduation, wedding etc) are involved in some type of car accident where one dies and one is scarred physically and emotionally. There ensues some sort of revealing about ...more
Julie Watkins
Sep 04, 2014 rated it liked it
i loved dani Atkins first novel fractured so much I gave it 5 stars. I was excited to begin this. at first I wondered if it was the same book or some sort of follow up. when I realised it wasn't I began to feel it was in no way as good as the first novel and entirely chic lit. disappointed I read on. neat little twist at the end but basically quite contrived. and and this is my pet hate... it finished at 83%!!
Priss
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: contemporary, romance
2.5/5. I think I shouldn't read any more of Ms. Atkins's books. It's not that her writing is bad or her stories aren't good, I just feel like they're not for me. The writing style of the book is very distinctive, but not one I particularly like. (Which I actually have noticed before while reading Fractured, but I forgot about while considering this book.) To me, it feels like the style is a little distant, which makes me feel less connected and invested in the characters. Another thing I liked l ...more
Valerie
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, 2018
Dani Atkins heeft weer een prachtig boek omschreven. Ik kan alleen maar beamen, ten opzichte van andere reviews die ik gelezen heb, dat Dani op de een of andere manier gevoelens op de juiste manier weet te omschrijven en ze daadwerkelijk ook toonbaar/gevoeld worden door de lezer. Ik word meegesleurd in emoties/gevoelens in het verhaal door de manier waarop Dani haar woorden neerzet op papier.

In the Story of us gaat het eigenlijk om een verhaal van Emmy. Emmy zegt haar baan in de drukke stad Lon
Zarina
Aug 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Review originally posted to my blog:

At the end of last year I had the pleasure of reading Dani Atkins' beautiful, mesmerising and haunting debut novel, Fractured. After finishing it I knew that I had read something truly special and I was amazed that it was the author's first novel, because it was already that good.

Of course I couldn't wait to see what she would write next and as soon as publisher Head of Zeus released the details for The Story of Us I wa
Ela
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lesejahr-2015
Nachdem mich Frau Atkins letztes Jahr mit "Die Achse meiner Welt" sehr überzeugen konnte (und mich sogar zum weinen brachte), habe ich mich sehr auf ihr neuestes Werk gefreut. Jedoch muss ich sagen: Von "Die Nacht schreibt uns neu" habe ich tatsächlich mehr erwartet.

Die Handlung beginnt mit dem Unfall, in dem Emma und ihre besten Freundinnen Amy und Caroline verwickelt waren und bei dem Amy ihr Leben verlor. Damit steigt Dani Atkins sehr dramatisch in die Handlung ein. Anschließend lernt man ein
Michelle
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This had my mind going into overdrive as I tried to figure out what was coming next....
I found myself scanning back over the pages to reread parts trying to pick up on clues I may have missed.
I found the ending a little abrupt as I was desperate to find out more about their lives together.

Fell head over heels in love with Jack ❤

The story was amazing as I laughed and cried.
Fabulous.
Will definitely read more from this author.
Can't wait for more ❤
YuliaPavlova
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Мне настолько понравилась "Виновата любовь?", что увидев новую книгу Дэни Аткинс в магазине - взяла не раздумывая. Начало показалось настолько банальным, что я думала - где то тут подвох, все не может быть так просто..Ближе к концу - блин, да не может быть у нее все просто обычным романчиком.. А потом финал..и опять как мешком по голове..
Я уже жду следующую книгу!
Suzi
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
OMG I HATED THIS BOOK, AND I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!
Karen Mitchell
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
A similar-ish start to Fractured, but an easy, enjoyable read anyway. If you enjoyed Fractured, you'll enjoy this :)
Sabrina
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Much preferred Fractured but this was still a fairly good read.
NicoleShox
Inhalt:

Emma Marshal ist 27 Jahre alt, als sie ihren Job in London aufgibt und zurück in ihre kleine Heimatstadt zieht, um ihrem Vater bei der Betreuung ihrer demenzkranken Mutter zu helfen. Fünf Jahre sind vergangen, seit sie das verschlafene Städtchen verließ, doch scheinbar hat sich nichts geändert: ihre zwei besten Freundinnen Amy und Caroline sind ihr genauso nahe wie früher und auch mit ihrem Exfreund Richard knüpft sie an die alte Beziehung an. Nach einem Jahr neu entflammter Liebe macht e
Benish Khan (Queen.Beenie)

Emma is out on the night of her bachelorette party with her two best friends Caroline and Aimee. Emma is soon to get married to her childhood sweetheart Richard. Tragedy strikes, when she is a car accident with her two best friends. One of the best friends doesn't survive, and Emma is ultimately saved by Jack. Now, Emma feels an emotional connection and a bond with Jack, she looks at him for comfort and relief because he was there when everything happened, he tends to understand the m
Kitty Montamer
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, 5, read-2015
Meine Meinung
Dani Atkins lässt uns ihre Geschichte von Emma in der Ich-Form erzählen. Dabei springt sie ab und zu auch mal in der Zeit. Zuerst wird der Leser darauf aufmerksam gemacht, was gerade in der Gegenwart passiert, bevor anschließend die ganze Tragödie Schritt für Schritt erklärt wird. Zusätzlich zu dem schrecklichen Unfall, den Emma und ihre Freundinnen erleben müssen, erfahren wir außerdem auch noch etwas über eine Krankheit, die leider immer präsent sein wird und über viel mehr, als L
Amy
Jun 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
All fatal auto accidents are tragic. But if it's possible for one to be extra tragic, then it's a fatal accident involving members of a wedding party days before the wedding takes place.

Emma and Richard have been together forever, except for several years after college when she moved away. She broke up with him then, believing it was necessary in pursuit of her career and, just as important, her personal growth. She loves her boyfriend and her hometown, but both started to feel a little too smal
  • The Sun in Her Eyes
  • Up Close
  • Bird Brain
  • A Constant Love: A Pride & Prejudice Continuation (Constant Love #1)
  • Fast Time (Racing on the Edge #8)
  • Ice Creams at Carrington’s
  • The Unfinished Symphony of You and Me
  • Always You
  • When To Let Go
  • Tied Up with Love
  • Lieblingsmomente (Lieblingsmomente, #1)
  • Me and You
  • The Christmas Party (Christmas Fiction)
  • American Beauty: The Shooting Script
  • Glück ist, wenn man trotzdem liebt
  • Will You Remember Me? (No Greater Love #6)
  • Three Little Words
  • Sealed with a Kiss
Dani was born and brought up in Cockfosters- a small London suburb at the end of the Piccadilly Tube Line.

This served her well for commuting into the city, where from the age of 18 she worked in a succession of secretarial positions in companies as diverse as a BMW car dealership to the BBC. Dani spent her two hour commute avidly reading and dreamed that one day she would become an author herself