Start by marking “The Story of Us” as Want to Read:
The Story of Us

The Story of Us

A gripping love story from the bestselling author of Fractured.

Emma Marshall can't wait to marry her childhood sweetheart, Richard. But then a tragic accident changes everything, and introduces a stranger, Jack, into her life. Gorgeous and mysterious, Jack is like no-one Emma has met before. But Richard is the man she loves...

Two different men.

Two different destinies.

How
Published August 14th 2014 by Head of Zeus (first published August 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Story of Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of Us

Carol [Goodreads Addict]
The Story of Us is the second book by Dani Atkins. It was first released in the UK last year and is due out in June here in the U.S. Her first book, Then and Always was a completely wonderful book. So I had high expectations for this second one. And let me tell you, it did not disappoint.

Just when you think you are exactly where you want to be, that your life is going in just the direction it was meant to, life has a way of turning everything upside down. One little moment in time can change th
Shannon
Aug 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
I really enjoyed reading this book, but it honestly wasn't something spectacular. I liked definitely liked the storyline, and even though the ending was not exactly how I predicted it to be, the book was rather predictable. Regarding the spectacularity, this book wasn't anywhere near Fractured, sadly enough.
Megan Readinginthesunshine
I am a MASSIVE fan of Dani Atkins and her writing. Her first novel, Fractured, was one of the BEST books I read in 2013, so with this in mind I was eagerly anticipating her latest novel!

Emma Marshall is so excited to marry Richard, her childhood sweetheart. But when there is a tragic accident, this changes everything – and unexpectedly brings a stranger, Jack, into her life. Jack is gorgeous and mysterious, like no one Emma has ever met before, but Richard is the man she loves. With two differen
Paula Sealey
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really wish I hadn't left this book languishing on my Kindle for so long, because it hands down has become one of my favourite romance reads this year.

Emma and her best friends Amy and Caroline are involved in a tragic accident on their way home from Emma's Hen party. Jack, an American visitor stops to help, and ends up saving Emma's life. Strangely drawn to each other, Emma begins to question her relationship with Richard, her childhood sweetheart. Their wedding is postponed to allow them ti
Hildy
May 09, 2016 rated it liked it
This is my first book by Dani Atkins. I'd not heard of her before but my friend was reading this so I thought I'd pick it up as well.

Overall, I was entertained. I don't think it will be one to stick with me for too long but I was definitely interested as I was reading it. The best part was that Atkins created a story with really good, kind men. It's nice not to read about chest-pounding, over-bearing alphas sometimes. The first half had me appreciating the way she gradually revealed her story.
Tanya (Girl Plus Books)
REVIEW TO BE POSTED ON RELEASE DATE: JUNE 9, 2015

*ARC provided by NetGalley and Random House/Ballantine Books in exchange for an honest review.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

4 STARS

The Story of Us is so much more than meets the eye. I was expecting a pleasant contemporary romance but what I got was an emotional tale that touches on themes of grief, infidelity, love, friendship, family, and so much more.

Emma is days away from mar
 Megan • Reading Books Like a Boss (book blog)

I was absolutely hooked on this story in the beginning but didn't like how the author made the reader like and dislike the two love interests for the sake of convenience.

Two weeks from getting married to her longtime on-and-off boyfriend Richard, Emma is in a car accident with two of her best friends. The accident is the catalyst for the new path her life will now take. The man who saved her life—Jack—left an impression on her and she can't seem to stop thinking about him and soon finds herself
Kiran
Sep 14, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: chick-lit
Is every Dani Atkins book pretty much based on the same weak naïve premise?! This is the second one I've read within the space of a few weeks (as they were all on the 99p daily Kindle deal). And it's yet another tale of a close-knit group of school friends, who on the eve of some change in direction for their lives (high school graduation, wedding etc) are involved in some type of car accident where one dies and one is scarred physically and emotionally. There ensues some sort of revealing about ...more
Julie Watkins
Sep 04, 2014 rated it liked it
i loved dani Atkins first novel fractured so much I gave it 5 stars. I was excited to begin this. at first I wondered if it was the same book or some sort of follow up. when I realised it wasn't I began to feel it was in no way as good as the first novel and entirely chic lit. disappointed I read on. neat little twist at the end but basically quite contrived. and and this is my pet hate... it finished at 83%!!
Priss
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: contemporary, romance
2.5/5. I think I shouldn't read any more of Ms. Atkins's books. It's not that her writing is bad or her stories aren't good, I just feel like they're not for me. The writing style of the book is very distinctive, but not one I particularly like. (Which I actually have noticed before while reading Fractured, but I forgot about while considering this book.) To me, it feels like the style is a little distant, which makes me feel less connected and invested in the characters. Another thing I liked l ...more
Zarina
Aug 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Review originally posted to my blog:

At the end of last year I had the pleasure of reading Dani Atkins' beautiful, mesmerising and haunting debut novel, Fractured. After finishing it I knew that I had read something truly special and I was amazed that it was the author's first novel, because it was already that good.

Of course I couldn't wait to see what she would write next and as soon as publisher Head of Zeus released the details for The Story of Us I wa
Michelle
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This had my mind going into overdrive as I tried to figure out what was coming next....
I found myself scanning back over the pages to reread parts trying to pick up on clues I may have missed.
I found the ending a little abrupt as I was desperate to find out more about their lives together.

Fell head over heels in love with Jack ❤

The story was amazing as I laughed and cried.
Fabulous.
Will definitely read more from this author.
Can't wait for more ❤
Karen Mitchell
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
A similar-ish start to Fractured, but an easy, enjoyable read anyway. If you enjoyed Fractured, you'll enjoy this :)
Suzi
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
OMG I HATED THIS BOOK, AND I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!
Sabrina
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Much preferred Fractured but this was still a fairly good read.
Benish Khan (Queen.Beenie)

Emma is out on the night of her bachelorette party with her two best friends Caroline and Aimee. Emma is soon to get married to her childhood sweetheart Richard. Tragedy strikes, when she is a car accident with her two best friends. One of the best friends doesn't survive, and Emma is ultimately saved by Jack. Now, Emma feels an emotional connection and a bond with Jack, she looks at him for comfort and relief because he was there when everything happened, he tends to understand the m
Amy
Jun 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
All fatal auto accidents are tragic. But if it's possible for one to be extra tragic, then it's a fatal accident involving members of a wedding party days before the wedding takes place.

Emma and Richard have been together forever, except for several years after college when she moved away. She broke up with him then, believing it was necessary in pursuit of her career and, just as important, her personal growth. She loves her boyfriend and her hometown, but both started to feel a little too smal
Danielle
Aug 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Read more reviews at What Danielle Did Next

With her fabulous début FRACTURED, Dani Atkins was already well on her way to being my go-to author for hauntingly beautiful and stirring books and with her latest release THE STORY OF US she's now firmly in first place!

THE STORY OF US is about Emma, recently moved home to help care for her ailing mother, but luckily not a lamentable position to be in due to a reunion with her two best girlfriends and about to marry her childhood sweetheart, Richard.
Bex | TotallyBex.com
I received this book for free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

The Story of Us by Dani Atkins is a skillfully written story about deep friendships, tragic loss, and finding your true happily-ever-after.

The book is about Emma, who is about to get married to her childhood and family friend, Richard. On the night of her hen party (bachelorette party), Emma and her friends are involved in a horrific car accident
Jenny in Neverland
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, 2014
The Story of Us is about Emma, who on her Hen night, gets into a serious accident with her two best friends Caroline and Amy. She was due to marry Richard, her childhood sweetheart and the love of her life in a matter of days but the accident introduces a new, mysterious stranger into her life called Jack. Emma and Jack have an undeniably strong connection which Emma puts down to the fact that he saved her life on that fateful night – but could it be more than that? Whilst Emma’s life has turned ...more
Susan  Owensby
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: some-fave-books
One of the most heartfelt stories that I have read in years. Beautiful, compelling and thought provoking...

The Story of Us by author Dani Atkins is the first book that I have read by this author. This is a breath taking and emotional story of loss, and of love. But most importantly it is a story of life, of its complex twists and turns. Just when you think you have everything figured out, something can happen in the blink of an eye.

Emma is set to marry her first love and everything is going as
Lynda Kelly
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
I loved, loved ,loved this book !! AND I'd owned it for more than a year and hadn't got round to it, no idea why !! It was very, very good. I just pre-ordered her new one on the back of her first 2 as Fractured was tremendous as well. I knocked a star off for that one as it had some dumb mistakes in but that was greatly improved this time. This book is way more polished so an easy 5 stars.
I had some real belly laughs in this although there were moments I was gulping, hard, so I didn't snivel at
Tina
Jan 21, 2015 rated it liked it

This is one of those stories that starts at the end and then goes back and tells the story from the beginning. I found that I could not wait to pick the book up each night and get into the story. Then something changed for me. I did not want to pick it up anymore and I found myself delaying reading it. The problem is with this book that after the first few chapters where all the action is, the story slows down dramatically and I personally just wanted to get to the ending. It was a shame really
May 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really quite enjoyed this, but there were a few twists and turns that didn't work quite as well as they should have. The interwoven story of someone who seems to be getting ready for their wedding is well done, as is the way it pans out in the end. However, that ending is not quite as satisfying as I'd have liked. It is not quite explicit in what it is saying, although I believe I understood what was implied.

Still, within this secret story within the story, people are mentioned who perhaps sho
Sophia Ford
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
An incredibly beautiful book with an ending that took me very much by surprise (and caused a few unexpected tears!). Incredibly well written, I really enjoyed the narrative of this story. At times I feared the ending I didn't want for the character I'd started to really love, Emma, and a huge part of me was massively relieved when I realised she was making the right decisions (or the decisions I hoped she'd make, at least).

The way the story began and each part of the book continued with the nex
Kelly
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Totally loved this book, it had me guessing right from the start. Halfway through I was silently screaming at Emma - I know what I wanted to happen between her and Jack, but it was so complicated. Actually I was mentally screaming at Emma, Jack and Richard. I know what I wanted Emma to do, but would she follow her head or her heart?

It had me guessing all the way through, it starts with Chapter one : The End. This gives you an insight about what's happening, and these chapters are dotted through
Elle
Was interesting enough to hold my attention. Not a bad romance but predictable. I didn't like the way the author tried to fool you into thinking one thing when there was actually something else going on. And I was able to figure it out pretty quickly. Would read other novels by this author.

I was provided an ARC by Netgalley and the publisher for an honest review.
Katy Finn
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read Fractured in two days and immediately had to order The Story of Us and again devoured the entire thing in a couple of days. It was everything you want in a book: love, friendship, heartbreak, laughter and ultimately a happy ending. Dani Atkins is fast becoming one of my favourite authors and I can't wait to read the next book!
Sheena
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist, chick-lit
4.5 out of 5. Absolutely loved it.
Monica Claire
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is full of emotions.. from grief, pain, happiness, sadness and love. This is for the hopeless romantics who believe in destiny and soulmates.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Sun in Her Eyes
  • Up Close
  • Bird Brain
  • A Constant Love: A Pride & Prejudice Continuation (Constant Love #1)
  • Fast Time (Racing on the Edge #8)
  • Ice Creams at Carrington’s
  • The Unfinished Symphony of You and Me
  • Always You
  • When To Let Go
  • Tied Up with Love
  • Lieblingsmomente (Lieblingsmomente, #1)
  • Me and You
  • The Christmas Party (Christmas Fiction)
  • American Beauty: The Shooting Script
  • Glück ist, wenn man trotzdem liebt
  • Will You Remember Me? (No Greater Love #6)
  • Three Little Words
  • Sealed with a Kiss
Dani was born and brought up in Cockfosters- a small London suburb at the end of the Piccadilly Tube Line.

This served her well for commuting into the city, where from the age of 18 she worked in a succession of secretarial positions in companies as diverse as a BMW car dealership to the BBC. Dani spent her two hour commute avidly reading and dreamed that one day she would become an author herself