Start by marking “One Snowy Night” as Want to Read:
One Snowy Night

One Snowy Night (Little Hedgehog #1)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  387 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Jewel-like colors, animals with unmistakable character, and a flocked woolly hat on every page enhance this tender story about a little hedgehog who is caught unprepared by a chilly winter wind.
Published February 25th 2005 by Good Books (first published September 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about One Snowy Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Snowy Night

Kathryn
Nov 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I was so happy to find this little hedgehog under my tree on Christmas! :-) The illustrations are every bit as charming and adorable as I'd hoped (with the added kid-appeal of being a touch-and-feel with the velvety hat!) and the story is a sweet one of sharing your gifts with others. I will be eager to read more from this wonderful author/illustrator team--this was a perfect warm-and-cozy for Christmas!
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Jan 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have been trying to stay away from the word “cute” but I simply cannot think of another word to describe this story. It is cute ;). Younger children will enjoy that you can actually feel the softness of the red hat and older children will appreciate the subtle messages of giving, caring, and friendship embedded to this cute story and my, oh, my is that baby hedgehog adorable!
Dolly
Dec 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a sweet story about a warm and fuzzy hat that everyone loves, but no one seems to be able to wear. It gets regifted from animal to animal until it finds its unlikely home. The illustrations have deep, colorful tones and the addition of the touch and feel soft cap makes this book a hit with younger children.

I don't know what it is about hedgehogs, but they are just so adorable and perfect for children's picture books. We have been hunting for hidden hedgehogs in Jan Brett's books for sev
Jenny
Dec 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
My 4 yo has asked me to read this 3 times in the past 4 days. She loves the touch and feel aspect of the book, and the hedgehog is just darling. It reminds me a little of The Mitten. Hedgehog gets a gift of a hat, but he can't get it on over his spines. So he gives it to rabbit. Rabbit can't get it on over his ears and gives it to Badger. And so on. Each time the hat gets larger and larger, and finally the hat comes full circle and finds a very good use after all.

The illustrations are beautiful
Christine
Nov 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a touchy-feely book and not for the text but the subject of the story which is wooly red cap. You get to feel the soft felt texture throughout the book each time the cap is presented. That alone will grab any child’s attention. The story line also will keep their attention. It recounts the tale of a hedgehog who receives this warm wooly hat from Father Christmas. Unfortunately, the cap is too big so he re-gifts it and gives it to one of his friends. Alas, it is not a fit for that creatur ...more
Jason
Dec 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-cass
Super cute Christmassey story with touchy-feely parts. Daughter loves this story.
Quynh
Mar 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Short, nice, fun read.
Jeani
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pretty much a fan of all touch-n-feel books, and this one had adorable illustrations and a lovely, kind story.
Amanda Whitaker
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
It is a wonderfully illustrated book and flows from character to character with ease. This book touches on the thoughtfulness of giving and how we sometimes receive things that we do not think we need, and it ends up being exactly what we need. The characters are not your everyday cat or dog and it gives the child a chance to experience different animals. You can almost hear the voices change between the characters as you read the book.
Michael2134
Oct 20, 2014 rated it liked it
One snowy night is about a cold little hedgehog who wakes up to a Christmas present that fell on his head. It was a red woolly hat. He tried it on but in his struggles he stretched the hat out and it would not fit him anymore. He went to his friend rabbit. The hat didn't fit over rabbits big floppy ears so Rabbit went to his friend badger. Badger tried on the hat ,but couldn't here a thing when he wore the hat, so he gave it to his friend fox. Fox loved the hat ,but when he was walking around ou ...more
Sierra
Sep 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
LOVED this book! The tactile nature of the book and the vivid colors I believe would engage a classroom full of students easily especially in the wintertime. The “touch and feel” detail in the book adds a bonus of “hands on mind on” activity. The story shows the spirit of Christmas through giving and friendship, which makes it a hit with me too. I enjoy how there ends up being meaning to the little red wooly hat and that although throughout the book the hat doesn’t fit any of the woodland animal ...more
Tsuyu Ko
Jan 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
One snowy night is a very touching book. This book tells the story of little hedgehog who received a hat from Father Christmas. The fabric of the hat is available on the cover and inside of the book for the reader to feel it. It was a very warm and red wooly hat. The hat did not fit on hedgehog, and so he gave it to his friend- Rabbit. The hat did not fit on Rabbit either, so Rabbit then gave it to Badger. Badger then gave the hat to Fox because Badger cannot hear a thing while wearing the hat. ...more
David
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
One Snowy Night (Little Hedgehog #1) by M. Christina Butler, illustrated by Tina Macnaughton is an appealing touch-and-feel Christmas story of a hedgehog and his friends sharing a red wooly hat to each other.

Macnaughton's illustrations are colorful with a velvety red piece on many pages to touch.

Butler's cozy, sweet story should appeal to young listeners, especially those who enjoy stories with animals and like a twist at the end. It features hedgehog, rabbit, badger and fox. 4 star rating.

For
Nicole
Sep 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book has very cute pictures and is a touch-and-feel book. I really enjoyed the message in it. It is all about a red hat that is gifted to many different animals during the cold holiday season. The hat was originally given to Little Hedgehog but the hat didn’t fit well over his prickles. Since it was such a wonderful red hat he re-gifts it and sends it to other friends. The hat gets passed on and on until fox gets the hat. Fox wears the hat when he ventured out onto the snowy trail until he ...more
Diane
Feb 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jan-2015-reads
In One Snowy Night, Little Hedgehog wakes up on Christmas morning to find that Father Christmas has left him a warm, red, wooly hat which makes him very happy because he is very very cold. Unfortunately, the prickles on his head make it difficult for this hat to fit just right.

Hedgehog give the hat to his friend rabbit, but the hat is too big. Rabbit gives it to badger, and it fits great but he can't hear, so he gives it to fox who puts two holes in it for his ears. In his travels Fox finds a ba
Tayler K
I love hedgies, so I had to stop and read this while things were slow this morning.

It's a touch and feel book, with the red knit hat covered in crushed velvet with each appearance!

Little Hedgehog is supposed to be asleep for the winter, but he wakes up covered in cold snow, and a gift from Father Christmas drops from the sky. The red hat stretches out as he tries to adjust it over his prickles, so he passes it on to his friend Rabbit. His ears stretch it out, so he gives it to Badger. Badger ca
Emma Martinez
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This lovely story features a hedge hog in the middle of a snowy night who recieves a velvet read hat for Christmas from an unknown animal. However, the hat is too big for him s he wraps it up and gives it to another animal. The hat is passed round all the animals until they find poor little hedge hog cold and asleep in the snow. The other animals wrap him up in the hat like a sleeping bag.

This is a lovely story which highlights sharing to children and the importance of looking out for each other
Malissa
Dec 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those sweet stories that will have you trying to inconspicuously wipe away tears as you read to your children. This is a beautiful story of a precious hedgehog and the journey of a very special gift. We love the illustrations, the 'velvet' red hat that you can touch on every page as it makes it's way from one friend to another. The thoughtfulness that each animal has and the coming together as a group of friends to help when it is needed.

This is a beautiful and touching story tha
Luisa Knight
It's the tale that keeps giving. Read it and you'll see. *wink

The ending was incredibly sweet.

Ages: 2 - 6

#christmas

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before reading it! Visit my website: The Book Radar.
Noelle
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My edition is not listed in Goodreads - it is from Scholastic and comes with a CD. This was a fun little story that comes full circle. Most of the animals care about each other and all pass a gift along that they can't use. It (the red hat) comes back to Little Hedgehog in the end. Good content and will be fun to read to my younger students in December.
Jenna Arntz
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a book that will make you warm and fuzzy inside. All of the animals in the story are so sweet to one another. I love that they all pass on the gift and then the hedgehog ends up with again when he is really in need. I would read this to my younger elementary school students. I think that it would be a good lesson to teach them to be kind and helpful to one another.
Alicia
Dec 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A sweet story of a red hat. This is a "touch and feel" book so the red hat in the story feels like felt and the vivid red makes kids want to touch it regardless.

Little Hedgehog delivers a re-gifted present of the hat to Rabbit, Rabbit re-gifts to Badger, Badger re-gifts to Fox before Fox finds Little Hedgehog buried in the snow and uses the hat as a blanket to warm him up.
Vivian
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
The flocked red hat pictured on the cover goes from animal friend to animal friend til it finds its way back to hedgehog, not as a hat but as a perfect blanket for him to snuggle in through the winter.
Cat
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cute little tale about a hedgehog whose home is destroyed during a winter storm. On his way to stay at badgers, he runs into other animals who are also suffering due to the storm. Happy ending kids will love!
Brenda Cregor
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lesson: "Re-gifting" and thinking of others could save your life!
Meghan Edwards
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great story about sharing and caring for others.
The Bougie Twins
Cicily Clare
Jan 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
There's a hedgehog!
Adrianne Rosal
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was so cute!!!! I was reading it to the students in Ms. Montenegro's kinder class and they loved it. Very tender story!
Bug
Cute touch-and-feel book with a sweet story and nice illos.
  • Cobweb Christmas: The Tradition of Tinsel
  • The Carpenter's Gift: A Christmas Tale about the Rockefeller Center Tree
  • Mouse's First Christmas
  • Mortimer's Christmas Manger
  • The Very Fairy Princess Follows Her Heart
  • Can You See What I See?: The Night Before Christmas: Picture Puzzles to Search and Solve
  • Worm Loves Worm
  • Stranger in the Woods: A Photographic Fantasy
  • Christmas in the Barn
  • Peter Spier's Christmas!
  • Christmas Treasury
  • Santa Claus the World's Number One Toy Expert

Little Hedgehog (6 books)
  • One Winter's Day
  • One Rainy Day (Shimmery, Shiny Books)
  • Special Blankie