Start by marking “The Discontented Little Baby Book” as Want to Read:
The Discontented Little Baby Book

The Discontented Little Baby Book

A revolutionary new approach to caring for your baby

The first months after a baby’s arrival can be exhausting, and attempts at quick fixes are often part of the problem. The first 16 weeks of life are a neurologically sensitive period, during which some babies will cry a lot and broken nights are to be expected. Attempts at quick fixes are often part of the problem.
Published April 1st 2015 by University of Queensland Press (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Discontented Little Baby Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Discontented Little Baby Book

Start your review of The Discontented Little Baby Book
Emma
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Best baby book I've read... Evidence based book showing that the current guidance from the MCHN is a load of garbage and that you should just follow your baby. They don't need that much sleep, they need lots of variety of activities and things to look at an experience. Thanks Dr Douglas.
Meg Deere
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was the parenting an infant book that clicked with me, in a big way. To each their own, you must pick and choose how you establish values and parenting practice. But reading this calmed me down about experiences that had left me confused or feeling guilty, and took away the fear of 'what if she doesn't get enough sleep/eats too often/is overstimulated', etc.

It refers mainly to the first 16 weeks of life, and some of the baby-following will be hard to turn into a routine later, but she note
Melissa
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easily the best babycare / parenting book I have read - based on real evidence (not just anecdata) that has been implemented in a clinical setting with real parents. Douglas's approach is compassionate, pragmatic and flexible. Reading this gave me a lot of confidence and really calmed my anxiety about feeding.
Ana Magbergelsen
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow, I just wish I read this before my kid was born. Writer talks a lot about research and her own experience as pediatrician regarding common issues babies experience that prevents them from sleeping and makes them cry. She offers solutions and resources. She does an amazing job portraying empathy for parents and helped me have empathy for my little one.
Rae
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I would highly recommend this book to any prospective parents, or even to parents who have already had children and are expecting. It really helped me through what ended up being a very difficult transition into motherhood. It is well written and easy to understand, which was important for me because I read it when my baby was tiny and I was still in the newborn sleep deprivation stage.
Megan
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite and most relatable baby book!

This is such a great book. The authors wisdom and empathy shine through on every page. It just makes sense and helps a new mom feel like she isn’t going crazy. This is my new baby shower gift and I will re-read with every new baby in my family.
Jessica Aitoro
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Katie
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A must read for parents and perspective parents as well as anyone working with families and children. This book will make life with a baby a lot easier and help you to enjoy your baby in that period of intense parenting.
Meg
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
The parenting book that best fits with my experience and instincts. Takes a positive approach, focusing on loving your baby boy training them. Encourages living a fun and easy happy life with the baby. Also well written and easy to read. 4.5*
Pri Jay
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tried to read this pre baby but got overwhelmed with the information. Reading it now with an 8 week old has been really helpful as I can put the advice into context
Emily Jenn
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A helpful, practical, evidence based approach, which takes so much fear out of parenting a baby!
Luisa
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent for tired parents

Excellent reference for new parents, after reading this book I learn to follow my baby's cues better and enjoy my time more
ACT
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
While I appreciated the science/facts in this book something about the tone of it turned me off. The anecdotal stories came across a bit know it all. It's worth reading for the information on eating, colic and sleep.
Alina Sezanaeva
Mar 02, 2015
Tom
Mar 28, 2019
Dreamvie
rated it did not like it
May 04, 2017
Nov 11, 2016
Elyse
Sep 04, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Cribsheet: A Data-Driven Guide to Better, More Relaxed Parenting, from Birth to Preschool
  • Sleeping Like A Baby: Simple Sleep Solutions for Infants and Toddlers
  • Montessori from the Start: The Child at Home, from Birth to Age Three
  • Any Ordinary Day: Blindsides, Resilience and What Happens After the Worst Day of Your Life
  • Baby on Board: Understanding What Your Baby Needs
  • Men at Work: Australia’s Parenthood Trap (Quarterly Essay #75)
  • When the Future Comes Too Soon (Malayan #2)
  • Rusted Off: Why Country Australia Is Fed Up
  • Sleeping with Your Baby: A Parent's Guide to Cosleeping
  • The First Six Weeks
  • Helping Children Succeed: What Works and Why
  • Boy Swallows Universe
  • Climate Shock: The Economic Consequences of a Hotter Planet
  • Precious Little Sleep
  • Forever Outnumbered: Tales of Our Family Life from Instagram's Father of Daughters
  • Save Our Sleep