Start by marking “Gender: Ideas, Interactions, Institutions” as Want to Read:
Gender: Ideas, Interactions, Institutions

Gender: Ideas, Interactions, Institutions

Wade and Ferree’s first edition textbook is a lively introduction to the sociology of gender. Probing questions, the same ones that students often bring to the course, frame readable chapters that are packed with the most up-to-date scholarship available—in language students will understand. The authors use memorable examples mined from pop culture, history, psychology, bi ...more
Published October 15th 2014 by W. W. Norton & Company

To ask other readers questions about Gender, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gender

Start your review of Gender: Ideas, Interactions, Institutions
Chunchun
Feb 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
非常全面地介绍了性别领域涉及的各类术语,并且扩展到相应的婚姻、家庭研究。
性别不平等导致hierarchy的三类机制:sexism,即认为男性就是比女性强;androcentrism则是认为与男子气概相关的好于与女性相关的,比如某种原本属于女性的职业男性从业者增加时,该职业地位上升,比如男秘书;subordination认为女性应当臣服于男性,比如护士,秘书等职业。
然而,固有的性别理念不仅伤害女性,对男性也未必都是好处,特别是不符合传统男子气概期待的男性,他们比偏离女子气概的女性更可能遭受严重的gender policing。为何男性们依然为何现有性别秩序?因为即使有些男性处于男性构建的hierarchy的底层,他们也可能认为自己的性别使得他们天然优越于某些女性。
Saul Chan Htoo Sang
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lisa Wade raises complex questions regarding gender: she especially discusses on the ways we, as a society construct gender roles and regulate these roles through social, psychological, and in extreme cases physical tactics such as raising eyebrows at certain actions, asking direct questions towards people who are deviant to that of the norm, and institutionalizing certain favors towards certain groups of gender. Building on the concept that gender is socially constructed, Wade discusses about t ...more
Meghan
Aug 27, 2015 rated it liked it
It is hard to rate what is effectively a textbook on the goodreads scale, for the record. This book reads like a textbook (albeit a pretty interesting one) and does a reasonably good job of covering the foundations of gender studies within the confines of a few hundred pages.

I would definitely recommend this to people looking to become more well versed on western ideas of gender. I learned quite a bit from this reading - in particular I had to question the way that I tend to value masculine tra
Olivia De Kok
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Only textbook I have ever read all the way through. Such great thought provoking material. You may not agree with every hypothesis or comment made but it will get you thinking about the social constructions of society! Loved it.
Holly
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Useful and accessible text for intro to gender and society. Chapters on intersectionality and sexuality need updates and possibly an outside contributor.
Arleigh Kraker
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, for-school
Read for GSWS 110
Ericka
Just finished taking my last test for this class and ya girl got an A!
Cristina Sherer
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good intro read, not a good fit for advanced gender scholars or an in depth, empirically conversant analysis of specific theories and themes
Brenda
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very readable but full of good information and perspectives. I like the Informal style and hope my students will too.
Kendra Lind
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I mean...it’s a textbook so it’s not thrilling. But it was a good textbook.
Tristan Bridges
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great textbooks in gender do more than simply explain the field; they offer a story about the field, find compelling examples of research that will excite and engage students, and are written as invitations into new modes of thought. Wade and Ferrree’s book does all of this and more. I teach this book in my Sociology of Gender course for undergraduates. My first time through, I couldn’t put it down. And my students had the same experience.
Karen
Olive
Apr 26, 2018
Anissa
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this for my Gender and Society class. Great resource.
Ilse

• The Souls of Black Folk
  • Why Men Love Bitches
  • Assigned: Life with Gender
  • The Oysterville Sewing Circle
  • The Jester (The Riyria Chronicles #2.5)
  • Why Gender Matters: What Parents and Teachers Need to Know about the Emerging Science of Sex Differences
  • Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association 6th Edition
  • The Demon Next Door
  • Feminism is for Everybody: Passionate Politics
  • Salsa Dancing Into the Social Sciences: Research in an Age of Info-Glut
  • A Farewell to Arms
  • Alexander (#1)
  • Dracul
  • University of Chicago Readings in Western Civilization, Volume 7: The Old Regime and the French Revolution
  • Up from Slavery
  • Genius (#2)
  • The House of Twelve (The Houses of Penance, #1)
  • Lucius