Start by marking “Flying on Broken Wings” as Want to Read:
Flying on Broken Wings

Flying on Broken Wings

Carrie Bailee fled Canada and came to Australia when she was twenty. Once here she was assisted by a number of Australian women, and was ultimately encouraged to apply for refugee status in order to stay in this country. So began her battle to be granted asylum in Australia. Carrie stood before the Refugee Review Tribunal and revealed the dark underbelly of child sexual ab ...more
Published October 1st 2014 by Affirm Press (first published September 18th 2014)

Start your review of Flying on Broken Wings
Elli
May 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A good measure of how good I find a book is my highlighting per page of text. I exhausted 2 highlighters reading this which is a personal record. This is an outstanding read. There were so many places in the book that expressed with such acuity, concepts I've needed to articulate for so but have never been able to find the words.

The way Carrie thinks / writes / describes things is a source of inspiration, hope and strength for me. Working for a children's charity that serves victims of CSE and
Christos Kat
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ok. I had an idea of what I was about to start reading. So I did some prep work. :-) I finished work early on Friday. Grabbed a jacket went down to the river bed, found a nice comfy spot on the grass and began. Im not a fast reader. I like to soak in what I read. After making me comfortable, Carrie began to take me on a journey that was to change the trajectory of my existence.
As a male in my mid-40s, married with young teenage children this book would not be on my radar of books to read. Howev
Jazzy Swedoshh
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm fourteen years old and this amazing book really struck me. My mum had read it and told me what it was about and I was excited and nervous to start reading it.

It is an amazing story and one that will not be soon forgotten

It made me realise how very lucky I am to have two very loving parents who will do anything to protect me. I knew a girl who was molested and I saw how it changed her, I can't imagine having to live through the trauma. What Carrie experienced through her childhood was absolut
Kylie Jeffery
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I am a Clinical Psychologist who primarily works with adults who have experienced significant childhood trauma. During my 20’s my own innocence was shattered when I worked as a case worker within the Child Protection Unit. During that time I was exposed to the world of paedophilia and witnessed crimes against innocent children that I could never imagine possible. Some of the faces of these tiny and defenceless children, I continue to carry with me to this day.

I would like to take this opportuni
Daphne Politis
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing book.
What an amazing story.
What an amazing woman. If you're stuck on picking a new book, look no further.
This womans story is insane! How one woman can endure this and and still come out as one of the most inspirational women in Australia astounds me.
If I can have even 1 bit of her strength and courage and her ability to move forward, I will be one happy woman.
The story has it all, but what I got most from it was Carrie Bailees message of HOPE. The message that NO MATTER WHAT, th
Mandamoo Mensforth
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Last week, I entered the book store looking for some trashy fiction to read. Instead, I noticed this book sitting on the shelf, literally urging me to pick it up. Once I read the synopsis on the back, I knew I had to read it and I am glad I did.

Words can not express the emotions I experienced as Carrie took me on a journey filled with evil and betrayal at the hands of the one person who should be her protector, her father. Her suffering is inconceivable and made me feel psychically ill at times.
Gabrielle Boswell
Sep 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This story is easy to read and beautifully balanced. It's such an insight into how trauma at an early age affects how you see yourself and the world, incredibly powerful. I love that Carrie's voice, her personality comes through very clearly. We journey with a woman of incredible resilience, courage, humour and humility. Her story will inspire others to speak out, to ask for and offer help. Bravo!
Keiran Rogers
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Now disclaimer that I work for the publisher of this book, but that in no way diminishes how proud I am that we have published this book and to have worked with Carrie. She is an amazingly strong and courageous woman, and this is a book she can be very proud of. It will changed the lives of all who read it.
Emmylou Maccarthy
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read Flying on Broken Wings back in Sept just before its release date. I was lucky enough to have my fiancee home on a rare occasion and I read Carrie's book cover to cover.

All the while glancing over to my children listening to them laugh and play with there Dad, making sure they were protected from the growing fear and pain her writing evoked in me.

My heart was absolutely racing and at times I was actually paralyzed with fear for Carrie and the realty of how magnified the emotion in a child
Nicole Stephensen
Nov 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Carrie's story is a surprise. It is less about *what* she endured (which, frankly, will inspire an uncomfortable visceral reaction for many)... and more *that* she endured. That, even while walking with fear, vulnerability and shame, she found her path. That she reached out and grabbed hold of the hands waiting to help her along. That she told her story. That others are now telling her story. That she is now a point of light for so, so many who, too, have endured. Carrie's book will take you pla ...more
Michele
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents, social workers, all men, teachers, psychologists, pastors and others influencing children
Recommended to Michele by: Lara Bianco
This book alters the way one views life. Every conscious mother, father, uncle, aunt or person of influence in a child's path will obtain a critical view of caretaking from this impactful memoir. A child you know will be hurt. Read this and see if you have the cahunas to ask yourself the difficult questions. Thank you, Carrie for your awe inspiring courage. You embody that which we all yearn to be.
I live in America and am looking forward to the opportunity to purchase quantities of the book for
Rania T
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was one of those books that will move you and inspire you. Carrie Bailee's story is one that should be read by everyone and to understand that violence against children and women are not isolated incidents that take place in some third world country we hardly hear about. It can happen any where at any time. The author's resilience is something of the superhuman kind, and has to be read to be believed. You will not stop reading once you start. Wish the author and her family all the best for ...more
Tracey Spencer
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Like many others, I read this book in under 24 hours. I couldn't put it down because I wanted to see how Carrie could overcome all that she suffered. The content is horrifying but not overly graphic for those that are afraid to start. It is beautifully written and you can feel Carrie's incredible strength shine through. I urge everyone to read this book and share it with your friends. Well done Carrie...every success to you!
Chloe
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I finished this book last night and have been thinking about my review.
I have realised I have no words.
There are just no words.
I just can't.

I can only wish Carrie Bailee the very best for her future. She is the strongest person I have come across in a long time.
Glenn Brandon
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
every man should read this book, it is eye opening and apropos to current events and issues that have remained hidden for far to long. a very hard read but worth every word, and in the end a redeeming story of perseverance over unimaginable pain.
Bronwyn Griffiths
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic read. Although heart breaking at times, Carrie takes you on a journey of hope. So in awe of the amazing spirit of this beautiful woman.
Manda May
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A remarkable story of one women’s strength, survival and resilience to regain her life & voice!I couldn’t put the book down!! I’ve heard the author Carrie present and admire her ability to have healed from such a traumatic past and for sharing her story with us all. I would def recommend this book and rate it a 10/10! ...more
Michelle
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Totally gripping, heart breaking and courageous on every page. An eye opening story of betrayal, horror, courage and ultimate triumph.
Thank you Carrie for your unbridled honesty, vulnerability and inspiration in sharing your past and carving out your own future.
Be prepared with plenty of tissues and time as you won’t be able to put this book down.
Cara Martin
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Could not put this book down, I love a good biography & heartfelt... I love reading about people's recovery from darkness & this is an amazing human to have endured what she has & write it for us, honest read. ...more
Susan Thompson
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. incredibly powerful and well told story of terrible life trauma and how to overcome no matter what. I couldn't put it down and highly recommend it.
Maria
May 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As a survivor of sexual abuse...As a child who too was 'sold' to a heinous cult I had so many reservations and emotions attached about reading this book. In fact Carrie's book sat on my bed side table for weeks unopened. I contemplated each night picking it up...thinking each time it would either make me or break me..but how could a story of true survival, strength, resilience, empowerment and hope damage my already broken wings anymore than they already are? If anything what this book has done ...more
Christos Kat
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Michelle Williams
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Flying on Broken Wings by Carrie Bailee

I loved this book. At first I thought I would be too scared to read it.
When I did start reading I could not put the book down ( well I did but only to loan it to my sister to read, and she read it over two nights - made me wait to read the last few pages - but when i got it back I didn't want the book to end ).

Please don't be afraid to read this book. Carrie can write. Carrie is funny, articulate, nice, clever, thoughtful , beautiful, and horrible things happened to her. How can you grow up
Janelle
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In this extraordinary book Carrie share a very personal journey and along the way also opens our eyes up to the sinister world of organised pedophilia. Carrie's writing style is captivating and had me reading this book in a matter of hours. I couldn't put it down.

The most amazing thing is 'how' Carrie shares her story. She does share the horrors of her childhood, but she doesn't leave you there. She continues on with her story to reveal a woman of extreme courage, bravery and strength. This is
Marie Nicol
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Heartbreaking story. But wow how she survived and turned her life into something that helps many others. How brave and strong. Carrie lived thru such horror at the hands of her father, who should've loved and protected her. Remarkable story of survival thru a horrifying childhood.
Carmel Russell
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Devastating, unfathomable, so well written. A must read
K Wilson
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Carrie manges to balance the terror of darkness and inspiration of light in this jaw dropping and heart wrenching biography. She seamlessly flows between the present and the past. Her reflections to dark times are important recollections to both inspire strength and learning that this can happen to anyone, anywhere. She balances the darkness with gentle humour. All reflections to the darkness are marked well in the book so the reader can skim forward if anything becomes too much to handle or for ...more
Cazz Duckett
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Once you start reading this book you won’t be able to put it down. Such an incredible story of hope. Carrie Bailee shows enormous courage when facing a level of evil & darkness that most people couldn’t even imagine...she survived & then had the strength to open old wounds, be vulnerable & write it all down so that others could know they’re not alone & that they can get through it. So inspiring!!! Every person should read this book!!! ...more
Tasha
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I simply could not put this book down once I started reading it. An incredibly raw eye opening story of survival. A must read.
Teleah
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
« previous 1 3 next »
Don't be frightened! 1 10 Oct 28, 2014 05:17AM

• Wine Girl: The Obstacles, Humiliations, and Triumphs of America's Youngest Sommelier
  • Killing with Confetti (A Detective Peter Diamond Mystery Book 18)
  • Home to Woefield (Woefield, #1)
  • Life or Death
  • Eggshell Skull
  • Son of a Trickster
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • How We Fight For Our Lives
  • Sweet Tooth
  • Tidelands (The Fairmile #1)
  • The Secrets She Keeps
  • Unbearable Lightness: A Story of Loss and Gain
  • The Trauma Cleaner: One Woman's Extraordinary Life in the Business of Death, Decay, and Disaster
  • Suspect (Joseph O'Loughlin, #1)
  • The Unlikely Adventures of the Shergill Sisters
  • The People Smuggler: The True Story Of Ali Al Jenabi, The 'Oskar Schindler Of Asia'
  • The Revenant