Start by marking “Consorting With Dragons” as Want to Read:
Consorting With Dragons

Consorting With Dragons

Lord Jasen of Grumhul has a gambling problem. Or rather, his father has the problem, but since he's gambled away everything that was rightfully Jasen's, it's become his problem, too. With no money and no skills to earn a living, his best bet for getting away from his father is to present himself for marriage at Court in the Draelands, the kingdom at the center of the Allie ...more
Published July 28th 2014 by M/M Romance Group @ Goodreads

To ask other readers questions about Consorting With Dragons, please sign up.
Sera Trevor Hi! Sorry for the late reply - I just now noticed there was a question up here. The expanded edition has not come out yet. I'm waiting to put it out…moreHi! Sorry for the late reply - I just now noticed there was a question up here. The expanded edition has not come out yet. I'm waiting to put it out until I finish the sequel I have planned. The expanded edition will be available (for free) on Amazon and Smashwords. (less)

Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lori, dragon, fantasy & Regency lovers
description

Brace yourselves, people. In fact, you might want to sit down for this. There is NO SEX in this book AND I loved it.

I'll give you a minute to catch your breath. Trust me I surprised myself. I'm chalking it up to the dragons.

DRAGONS!!!!!!

I'm stunned again by a novice author's contribution to the LL event. There is a lot of talk about "a warm feeling" that Jasen feels frequently and at some point I started to feel the same. I found myself grinning and when it was over I felt a little sad that we h
Chris, the Dalek King
(Just as a warning, this was my prompt so I am biased as all fuck about how I feel about it. That being said...)

description

This was basically everything I was hoping it would be. It was romantic and funny and the characters...omg the characters were so bloody brilliant. I loved the world building, loved how she took little things from my prompt and made them come to life. This is pretty much free of angst and it was such a nice, good, damn near perfect story.

I was supposed to be in bed hours ago, and I ha
Sera Trevor
Jul 28, 2014 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: written-by-me
*ETA 3/19/18 - Hi you guys! At long last, I've finished the novel-length expansion! Go check it out ---> http://bit.ly/2IC6uAP

The bonus story is no longer canon, but I'll leave it up as an AU.

*drops another smoke bomb, disappears again*
__________________
Jumping in real quick to direct your attention to a follow-up short story I've written. It's called "Bound and Determined," and can be found at my website here. (Warning for some extremely mild bondage. Also, NSFW.)

Also, I've made a "Consort
Argona
This book was such a pleasant surprise. I don’t remember what exactly I was expecting when I started reading this(maybe something darker) but I certainly didn’t expect to receive so much positive energy and have such a good time. While reading this story, a warm feeling spread through my whole body and stayed there! A feeling that I see that others have also experienced.

This is an amusing funny romantic story that deserves to be a lot more than a short novella. The author’s writing skills are si
Sunny
Such a fun read! The world building was so well done, and I loved the characters and the dragons. I loved how even the secondary characters had such distinct personalities. The story was all about Jason, though, and he was awesome. Rilvor's character wasn't as clearly drawn, but he also didn't spend as much time on page. Their romance was sweet, but a little tame. I didn't even care, though, because the rest of the story was so good :D

ETA: Steamy bonus story on author's website
MostlyDelores
World building - good

Secondary characters - good

Dragons - good (obvs)

Main characters - less good, especially Rilvor, king of the bland placeholders

Story - less good.

It could have been about dragons (!) or magic, but the navel-gazing of an underachieving stoner is interesting also (-___-).
Meep
Above 3stars but not quite a 4star. A nice little fantasy with plenty to like:

- Dragons
- A downtrodden Lord (who shock-gasp is not a virgin!)
- A family-man King
- Dragons
- A strong female character
- An alcoholic father who clearly loves his son despite his [the father's] weakness
- Dragons (I do like Dragons!)

Lady Risyda is entertaining I'd have liked to have been reading her story. Polina I wasn't sure about, I started to feel sorry for her but there's a strange sociopathy about her, her self-aw
Sofia
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was ok

Jasen and his friends are well drawn but I could not gather up enthusiasm for the writing or for the story or for Rilvor, I could not find the spark. Reminded me of Barbara Cartland’s romantic fare when I was young.

Ami

This is one of the longest stories from Love Landscape's Event that I read this year. Came to me after my friend Didi reviewed it awhile ago. Now, I totally commended on the fairy-tale / fantasy context of this story. Medieval fantasy / fairy tale doesn't always come easy for me to enjoy (I prefer something more URBAN fantasy ;p). However, I found this story as easy to follow, both the prose and the plot ...

I really liked the Court that taught all these marriage prospects was both for l
Bookwatcher
Check list:
*Funny Protagonist. Check
*For free Check
*Men using corsets. Check
*Cool DRAGONS flying around or hugged by the protagonist. Check
*Protagonist with long hair. Check
*Quick but very credible romance. Check
*Adorable kids. Check
*Protagonist in high heeled shoes Check

Wait a second... Did I said MAN IN CORSET AND HIGH HEELS? Check Check Check

Yes... I did.
And no, it's not an erotic story. This short don't even has sex scenes. It a very funny fantasy, VERY well wrote and FOR F
Sandra

Offered for FREE from the M/M Romance Group's Love's Landscapes event. Thank you too all the amazing authors who participated!

This was an enjoyable afternoon read. I will admit that I thought myself quite clever, and figured out in the first chapter that the king was hiding himself as the cute guard and maybe could even shapeshift into a dragon! Except, for the fact that I was totally wrong. But anyhow, still a sweet story.

Got a little long-winded at times with the courtly specifics and I did sk
Mwanamali
description

It must be maddening to feel so much weight over what you see no value in.
Kasia Bacon
Dec 06, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5stars. Solid novella. Good premise. Quite charming. Snorted a couple of times.
Lala
4 stars.

Oh, this was such a sweet story! A Cinderfella comes to the palace and cathes the eye of the king...ooh, goodness! It was all very fairytal-ish, and was all prim and proper, but it strangely just enhanced the charm of the book.

Totally delightful read.

p.s. There is a bonus scene of Jasen&Rilvor's wedding night - http://www.seratrevor.com/consorting-...

Hello, smut!
John The Cosmic Wanderer
Romantic, funny, likeable characters and this has DRAGONS in it!! It's everything I want in a book! Im surprised that this is the author's first work and that its free! Please write more!

Update: Read the follow up here:

⚣Michaelle⚣
4.3 Stars

Oh I adored this story! It read very much like a modern fairy tale that just happened to take place in a fantasy-based, historical setting. From the less-than-reputable father trying to earn money from his son's consort fee, the training group dynamics, a dashing young man who's a bit of a hellion, a King looking for love and parents for his young children...all the way to a fated love endorsed by their dragon comrades - a wonderfully fun book I'd actually read again.

I love that Silvor
K
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dritc
Fantasy story, novella length
Jasen's father has insisted he go to Court for the annual event where wives and consorts are chosen by the nobility, becuase he's basically gambled and drunk his way through Jasen's inheritence. For three months Jasen, who comes from the far end of the kingdom and has little education, must learn the ways and manners of the court. On the way there he sees his first dragon, and the following morning skips breakfast when he feels something calling him. That something i
Mercedes
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it

This story has two things that usually call to me: dragons and "forced marriage" trope. Both together usually work well. Although perhaps the forced marriage bit doesn't work out as such here. But anyways, this story starts great. Loved the way Jasen and Rylvor meet. Also the story is solid and the court setting was interesting. Plus dragons! What else could I ask for?
However, this story needed more Jasen+Rylvor and less Jasen+Rysida+Polina+ Larely. Yes the side characters seem to high
Octobercountry
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This story was a complete delight---a charming and funny tale with an interesting take on dragon-lore. I loved it! As part of the M/M Romance group's "Love's Landscapes" series, you can download it for free to your e-reader.

I was so impressed by the novella that I immediately checked to see what else the author had written. But---how frustrating!---this appears to be her first published work. However, I'm hoping that we'll be hearing much more from her in the future. I think she has a great dea
Tully Vincent
Aug 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Adorable, funny, lighthearted story with dragons, great characters, some angst but not angsty, a sweet romance and believe it or not, no sex (well, some kissing and petting). Jasen's dad was a hoot. Rilvor was wonderful as a father, as a king, as a future husband. And Jasen, I love his unabashed acceptance of his sexuality. Quite a lot of story in a little over a hundred pages. Its kinda like a cross between an epic fantasy and a fairytale. Men wearing corsets and high heels and riding dragons! ...more
Deeze
Very nicely told tale.

Interesting mix of Dragon, Magic and old world Royalty.

Lovely little romance too.
Julia
Sep 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: challenge-read, m-m
This is completely not my style of book, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was so easy to read and written in such a way that I felt like I was reading a fairy tale without being off the wall weird.
Jeanne 'Divinae'
This was a fantastic story. I couldn't walk away from it for long... I was always pulled back to it...

It didn't pan out exactly as I thought(I thought it would have a dragon shifter/human) but it still was great. So, this is premise. Nobles send their children(if they have a means, money, bets, etc) to 'Court', where for three months they will go through intense training to fine-tune themselves into wives or consorts... then wealthy Nobles will come and look for their wife or consort(man).

So, i
| Maiko-chan |

The main character's name is a different variation of my favorite male name (Jason) and that alone gets it 5stars from me, because sometimes I'm easy like that.

On a more serious note: I enjoyed the fuck out of this story! And there isn't even any sex! I wasn't expecting to enjoy this as much as I did (I couldn't even put it down to go to bed), but this just made its way to my 'a thousand hearts' shelf of love. There were just so many things about it that I adored! The writing is great
Serena Yates
Sep 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Dragons, to me, are fascinating creatures, whether they are dragon shifters, dragons with telepathic and other magical abilities, or the dragons in fairy tales. In ‘Consorting with Dragons’, a wonderful free novella, they are of the magical kind, very similar to the ones in the ‘Dragonriders of Pern’ science fiction series by Anne McCaffrey. In this story, they are somewhat more self-sufficient, but do have the occasional interaction with humans who have built a whole culture around them. The Lo ...more
Ayanna
DRAAAAAGOOOON

No, but you don't understand. This story. It has dragons. And also, the dad, sure he's the root of all evil, but it's because he's genuinely a bumbling fool and not a malicious asshole. And like MC is self-aware enough to realize he's attractive and that attractiveness is a commodity/asset. Not an ingenue.

And like, gay stuff is okay-ish here. Like it's not common, but it's not unheard of.

The beginning kind of reminds me of Gail Carson Levine's (or is it Levine Carson? gdi I can neve
Mel
Feb 25, 2015 marked it as did-not-finish
*** DNF at 40% ***

It's getting old but it's me, not the book.
It's well written, with some nice and unique ideas. Really it is. Go for it. Dragons!

It's personal... I just can't with the etiquette, the forced on him clothes, the everything. I already know it'll be overcome and he'll get the king, because he will like him for the guy he really is. I just can't read my way through it till I get there. Makes me mad and uncomfortable.

***

This book counts for my following reading challenges 2015:
- 8 fre
Наталья
Красивый интересный мир с магией и драконами. Столько потенциала.

Но главный герой Джейсен - просто chick with dick. Очень много уделено внимания его одежде - корсет, каблуки. Происходящее также больше подходит женскому историческому романчику. И король чувствителен и абсурдно галантен и правилен не по-королевски. Ни какой изюминки. Отсутствие горячих моментов тоже в минус, даже поцелуи платонические.

Но написано неплохо, легко и с юмором, сцены с драконами миленькие.
Jonathan Mason
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
5 awesome stars!

The world that unravels slowly in front of you, that whispers in your ears of dragons, castles and magical connections; those lively characters (who smoke weed and set things on fire) who you wish to exist IRL and be friends with, (apart from the little bitch Polina!) the easy and picturesque writing style - all this drags you in and you are sad it ends.

Loved the book, loved the story, the world, everything.

Elci
Dragons - check.
Delicious and cool as f!ck readhead - check
Sexy and yummy king who has a direct connection with said dragons - check.
Awesome word building and just downright fantastic - check.

Now, where are my dragons?!

The Backlot Gay B...: Consorting with Dragons by Sera Trevor 1 28 Jul 29, 2014 06:35PM
  • The Court of Lightning
  • Ashes of Life
  • Broken Phoenix
  • Treasure
  • Dreaming of Fire
  • Human Choices (Guardians of the Leythe, #2)
  • Nightjar
  • Bright Water, Dark Sky
  • Winter Winds
  • Dragon Slayer (The Empty Crown #1)
  • Stranded by Lies
  • The Case of the Insufferable Slave
  • Making Dragon Stew
  • The Sentinel
  • Still Waters
  • Salvaging Toby's Heart
  • An Old-Fashioned Love Song (Woodshed, #1)
  • Blood In The Water (An Act of Piracy, #1)
Sera Trevor is terminally curious and views the 35 book limit at her local library as a dare. She’s a little bit interested in just about everything, which is probably why she can’t pin herself to one subgenre. Her books are populated with dragons, vampire movie stars, shadow people, and internet trolls. (Not in the same book, obviously, although that would be interesting!) Her works have been nom ...more