Start by marking “A Dark Love Story” as Want to Read:
A Dark Love Story

A Dark Love Story

Dear Author,
This song is the story of me and my husband.

Love Interruption

Our love story is not a typically romantic one. It was anything but usual. It wasnt BDSM but it was definitely twisted with a slight delirium added to it. We do love each other dearly but that did not stop us from being dysfunctional, both with each other and people around us. Almost everybody says
Published July 28th 2014 by M/M Romance Group @ Goodreads

To ask other readers questions about A Dark Love Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dark Love Story

Start your review of A Dark Love Story
Vivian
Aug 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Relationship status: Toxic

I actually think these two are probably better off without each other, but if they're willing actually work hard for it--good for them. Not me, but I can't tell anyone how they want to live their life. Seeing as there isn't any other collateral damage, go for it, boys! Didn't love the characters, but the story was compelling. A bit heavily laden with the evils of the world, not out of the realm of possible, but a lot of coincidence in the homophobia department.
Serena Yates
Aug 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay
Things are not always like they seem, especially where relationships are concerned. Nobody "on the outside" can really see what's going on, and this story about Joe and his husband of ten years, Doug, is a good example.

Joe, a cop with straightforward tastes, and Doug, with a very refined palate and a snobbish group of friends, are not exactly well-suited to be a couple - not at first glance, and not even when looking a little more deeply. Both are strong men, both are stubborn, and they fight a
Syfy
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ll-20014, m-m-romance
Ok, you got me! Read this the other day and had to think on it.

Well thought out, well written, solid story. I liked that the characters were engaging and personable, easy to identify with... that's he easy part, yeah? No brainer, right?

Did I like it? Hmmmm, I don't like that this is a lot of peoples reality, no. But, yeah, I like that a tough subject was written in such a non-judgmental/impartial way. Kind of remarkable, refreshing, unique!

If I knew these two guy's, I'd probably say "You're an
K
Jul 28, 2014 added it
Shelves: dritc
Contemporary short story that might just be a little too realistic for some people.
Doug and Joe have been married for over 10 years, and their relationship is rocky, with one or other of them tending to lash out physically in an argument. When Joe, an officer with the LAPD, has a hard case on his hands the last thing he wants is dinner out with Doug's trendy friends, and the pair end up fighting. They know things are going to come to a head in their relationship but it's not till an outside
Kristan
This is a hard one to rate.

On the one hand, it was well written, had distinctive characters and gave us a glimpse of a very honest and real couple. Not everything is roses and sunshine, and the author did a great job at showing us that this relationship has certainly hit a rough patch. On the other hand, I really don't enjoy reading a story where the MCs fight, verbally or physically. It's too real for romance for me. That isn't to say I didn't enjoy the story - I just as a general rule stay
5amWriterMan
Aug 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
mah1
Jul 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: dritc
Dark love stories are something I enjoy, especially if there is true devotion between the characters. It takes special skill to make these kinds of stories come to life and I know they're not for everyone.

Here the author managed to capture the twilight zone -feel of a relationship were violence and fluff co-exist. My only problem was, that the story was short and the characters seemed to have so much in them that I would've liked to read more.
Anke
Sep 20, 2014 rated it liked it
This story fit the prompt perfectly. Nevertheless it was more like a snippet and nothing was really solved.
Reader S.
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lovely.
Melissa **Just Really Loves Musicals**
*2.5 stars*

I found this when searching for a short story to get me back in the swing of reading. Feb 2019 has been a crazy busy month and I've read barely anything, so I needed something simple and quick. This seemed interesting and was free so I decided to check it out.
It's kinda a toxic relationship. Doug and Joe are a gay couple that aren't in the best of places right now. They argue and fight a lot, sometimes physically, but they also do seem to love each other too. The writing was simple
Pete W
Jul 30, 2014 rated it liked it
This is my prompt, and I read this on my birthday too :D. Some certain elements was not quite what I had in mind. So I will try to review this as the person who wrote this prompt and as regular reader.

As Regular reader:

The usual trope of opposite attract story with a somewhat typical story settings. One is a cop and the better half is... I didn't quite catch the job of the husband. They been together for a long time and their relationship started to crack under the pressure of cop's life. They
Jeanne 'Divinae'
This story is about an established married couple, Doug and Joe. Even though they have been together for a long time, they still have individual friends' the other haven't met yet.

Joe comes home from a horrible day on the job, a young man had died, who was beathen by his homophobic step-dad. It brings up memories of his own childhood. Doug wants Joe to go to dinner to meet some his friends. He even want out and bought Joe a fashionable outfit and all. It is just too much for Joe to take and it
Linda ~ chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny ~
TW: Domestic dispute including physical abuse, gay bashing

This one just didn't work for me. The series of events didn't make me care about either character or their relationship woes. It felt like the things they were arguing about were things they should have figured out in their first few years together, not 11 years down the road. We're told a lot of things but not shown why or how. It just kind of fell flat, then ends abruptly with things still not resolved, but hey, at least they love each
Brian
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Well done Jonathan/Jennifer. Realistic story of an established couple that are having relationship problems. We've all been there and done that. What makes this a great story of love and romance is that they both accept responsibility for the poor state of their relationship, yet are committed to do anything possible to change it and make it better. This is what I read M/M Romance stories for. Honesty, angst, with love winning in the end. This is going into my Kindle Keeper List.
Leisha
Rating overview
Writing: ★★★★
Story: ★★★★
Characters: ★★★★

Overall: ★★★★ (4)

~~~

This was gooooood! A nice little story about two men in a tricky but loving relationship and an experience that shows them just how much they need each other.

It was really really good, I loved the concept but I was missing things around the edges somehow, the story feels like a snapshot, something that could well be turned into something a lot longer.

All in all a great effort!
Taintedskyee (Books Books&More Books)
I like to read a story where MC fights but not harmful to each other.This was more a hurt filled issue, more of a abusive,lack of understanding kind of a relation,on a verge of break off.This kind is not good for me.But I guess the author didn't have much choice.It is a well written story.
Becca
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was good. No matter how much you love your partner. It takes work. Was happy to see they were going to do all they could to keep their love alive
Regencyfan93
Aug 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: deleted
I think the story followed its prompt very closely. I felt that I missed things with such a chosrt story. Both characters tell us that the other is "the one for me". But I didn't feel it.

My sympathy was with Joe. Joe comes home from a rough day at work, expecting to have a night in, is told that he has to go out to meet strangers, and has had clothes purchased for him.
Comments I would have if it happened to me.
- "If these are real friends, why can't I just wear my work suit? Why do I have to
Sanet
I'm going out on a limb here. Some will hate me... others might agree...

but but but

I really enjoyed this short story... yes the boys have a dysfunctional relationship, but they have stuck it out, to some it might seem like abuse from the outside and yes... there would be some, but from both sides and they know things need to change but love has kept them together.

Some relationships are like that and in the end, it does end.. but it can also spark something new, something wonderful... the bond
Annika
Nov 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
I actually really liked this one. But it was too short, far too short.
It was realistic and I hugely appreciated that both MC's were taking on their responsibility for the relationship and especially their will to work on it and overcome the difficulties. If they do and not run away at the first signs of difficulties they'll come out stronger.
Please dear author, would you give these two a novel length story?
Sandra

Offered for FREE from the M/M Romance Group's Love's Landscapes event. Thank you too all the amazing authors who participated!

Not gonna lie... I kinda love this photo. At the prompt kinda nailed it.
Serena
Mar 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: gr-dritc, romance-mm
Love's Landscapes Anthology Volume 5 by Suzanne Simon

My Rating System:
Melanie~~
[NOTE: I rate most writing event stories (free reads) 4 or 5 stars because of my appreciation of the author's participation and gift.]
Verity
Aug 09, 2014 rated it liked it
2.5 stars.
Kori ☾
Jul 25, 2018 rated it liked it
What in tarnation did I read? I read about a toxic couple who fight. Not a screaming match, no, not that. They literally fight with their hands. If this isn't an extreme case of GET OUT then I don't know what is. This couple needs to break up and one needs to move across the country.
Leaf of Absence
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
Really wanted this to be longer. Sometimes, a person wants to read about a fucked up couple. Wuthering Heights, Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe - you know, it's interesting and like slowing down for an accident on the highway and strangely engrossing.

So this was kinda like that. Only too short.
Lumina
Domestic violence, even on equal turns isn't really for me. It was well written though and I suppose there are readers who love this kind of story. I'll just pretend there is a HEA for these husbands.
Liza
Sep 27, 2014
Marian
rated it did not like it
Feb 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Other's Gold
  • Slow Hand: Women Writing Erotica
  • The Confession Club (Mason, #3)
  • Outline
  • Dubliners
  • Heat Wave (Nikki Heat, #1)
Jonathan Treadway is the pseudonym of Jennifer Swanson, who lives with her family in northern Massachusetts, very close to New Hampshire. Jen has a professional job doing market analysis during the day and writes in the evenings and on weekends whenever she can. Her stories focus on the romance between two men and all the trials gay men have to survive in order to have a healthy, ...more