Start by marking “NYHC: New York Hardcore 1980-1990” as Want to Read:
NYHC: New York Hardcore 1980-1990

NYHC: New York Hardcore 1980-1990

Known for its glamorous 1970s punk rock scene, New York City matched the grim urban reality of the 1980s with a rawer musical uprising: New York hardcore. As bands of misfits from across the region gravitated to the forgotten frontier of Manhattan's Lower East Side. With a a backdrop of despair, bands like Agnostic Front, Cro-Mags, Murphy's Law, and Youth of Today confront ...more
Published December 30th 2014 by Bazillion Points (first published December 9th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about NYHC, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about NYHC

G. Jason
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: music
I thought this was a well thought out and well organized book that covered a lot of the gamut of NYHC and it's roots. The author did a great job interviewing some key people and people you wouldn't expect and the result was a good oral history of the genre.

I enjoyed it and had a hard time putting it down. I believe the author did a good job with what he set out to do.

The topic of this book, however, limits how much that can be said about a certain band. Some chapters left me wanting to hear mor
Peter
Dec 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
This was a great book. It gave a history of NYHC through interviews with the key players of that scene. The whole book is full of anecdotes and stories about the first 10 years of the NY Scene.

And what made reading this book made a great experience is that it reminded me of all those great bands that I've not listened to enough in the last years. It reminded me how great records like victim in pain or break down the walls were. I gave my urban waste and antidote 7"s a listen for the first time i
Rob Schorr
Dec 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a thorough and comprehensive job! Well done Mr. Rettman!! From the early blossoming of the NYHC scene to the new breed of the early nineties this book covers it all. Memories of great clubs and shows from years ago came flooding back. Reading about everything before my time was awesome and made me wish I could have experienced it but this was the next best thing. A lot of work went into this and it shows! Thank you!!
Marion Hover
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting look at a scene I knew little about

Giving this 4 stars because none of the photographs were visible. I knew nothing about NYHC but this book sucked me in and I have since started to listen to some of these bands.
You really feel the passion that these guys have for their music and scene, also how it changed over the years.
Thoroughly recommend this book, easy to follow and gives a good insight into a way of life.
Bosco Farr
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: punk
I gave it four stars because there isn't a half star option and I liked more than I disliked. It's a really good read but really for fans only. If you are looking for an cohesive intro to the NYHC scene this isn't it. That said, the book is an excellent read and really fun.
Andrew Nolan
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nicely done oral history, this is a book that could have spiralled out of control and gone on forever detailing everything of the era, but it's well edited and keeps focus without trying to cover every aspect that would detract from the overall project.

To Rettman's credit he dispensed with a straight chronology and the book is more coherent for it, jumping back and forth in time, allowing threads to continue.

What i think he did particularly well was tie in the spatial aspects of NYHC; how bands
Gerry LaFemina
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
So many old friends talking in this book, so many old haunts revisited. It was great...to a point. I do think there's a lot of whitewashing some of the worst parts of the scene, and there are a number of voices unheard: that's to be expected in an oral history. More, the organization--by band--made it hard to get a sense of a timeline, and I really wish a chronology had been included.

I remember seeing Kraut, Reagan Youth, and an early incarnation of Murphy's Law at Tompkins Square Park in the s
Patrick
Aug 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Pretty average overview covering all the major bands but I couldn't help but be underwhelmed. A lot of bands weren't really mentioned aside from a couple lines here and there like Uppercut, Outburst, Maximum Penalty, The Icemen, Absolution, Altercation, Dmize, etc. It would've also been cool to have had a chapter on the Jersey bands covering Turning Point, Release, Enuf, etc. Aside from that, there are still plenty of in depth chapters on The Abused, Reagan Youth, Straight Ahead, and a couple ot ...more
David
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I needed to find out about the beginning's of the NYHC scene and this book gave it to me. It's an in depth look at the scene filled with cast of characters too many to list. NYHC 80-90 journeys into the early NYHC clubs and puts you right next to the musicians that you know and love. Plenty of surprises and it was a great read for me. The last 2 chapters explain hardcore down to it's core and how just a handful of bands continue to live the lifestyle while having families and passion to carry on ...more
Scott Bevington
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Interesting oral history from those the bands, fans, and others involved in the New York City hardcore scene during it's initial years. Wish it could have been even more in depth but such are the limitations inherent in documenting via oral history when using already conducted interviews. Great selections of vintage flyers and photos. Highly recommended for the curious and fans of the music.
Salt
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So many great bands

A must read. Love the chronological breakdown and that it is all straight quotes from each person involved in the nyhc scene. Highly recommended to anyone who loves punk or hardcore music.
James G.
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a succinct overview of the downtown New York hardcore scene from 1980-90 told through first-person accounts, incl guest appearances by Gary Tse Tse Fly. That's what made it five stars!!
Evan Harrelson
Jun 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
very understated read, i liked it because i love the music but it left some to be desired.
Mike
I used to sneak into NYC for shows. And the authors brother banned me from a record store
Kevin C. Osmond
  • The House That Trane Built: The Story of Impulse Records
  • Dance of Days: Two Decades of Punk in the Nation's Capital
  • Revolution in the Air: The Songs of Bob Dylan, 1957-1973
  • Double Nickels on the Dime
  • Precious Metal: Decibel Presents the Stories Behind 25 Extreme Metal Masterpieces
  • Pet Sounds
Tony Rettman is a freelance music journalist whose work has appeared in The Village Voice, Vice, The Wire, Philadelphia Weekly, Cleveland Scene, Arthur, Swindle, Signal to Noise, Mean, and Thrasher. At age 14 in the 1980s, he was the editor of Common Sense zine. He has provided liner notes for such artists as Hackamore Brick, Bored Youth, Beyond and many more. He is a contributing editor to Double ...more
“Where the fuck do you get your electricity from? Do you have a bicycle with a generator on it or something? Where do you get the gasoline for your fucking car? Shut the fuck up! You can be whatever you want to be. Eat vegan. Eat raw. Grow your own vegetables. But you always have to pay somebody for something.” 0 likes