Start by marking “You Nest Here with Me” as Want to Read:
You Nest Here with Me

You Nest Here with Me

With rhyming text, this soothing bedtime book is an ode to baby birds everywhere and sleepy children home safe in their own beds. As a mother describes to her child how many species of birds nest, from pigeons on concrete ledges to owls in oak tree boles to swallows above barn doors. The soothing refrain of “you nest here with me” eases her little one and readers alike to ...more
Published March 3rd 2015 by Boyds Mills Press

To ask other readers questions about You Nest Here with Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Nest Here with Me

Melki
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yolen and her daughter present a rhyming tale of a mother's love for her own daughter. Various birds are shown nesting in their favorite spots from high atop a fir tree to a sandy shore, but the mother reminds her girl - You nest here with me - a lovely sentiment which is made even more beautiful by Melissa Sweet's gorgeous watercolors.

description

description

I did catch one error, though. The cowbird who slips an egg into the cardinal's nest is a male, not a female. Oops!
Terri Lynn
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
This is a lovely children's picture book, just like I always expect from Jane Yolen. It starts in a cozy house as a mom is putting her little girl to bed, telling her that she is the mom's little nestling. The child has a copy of this book and Mom reads it to her as they look outside at the quiet of the night. Each page shows a different type of mom bird from terns to eagles and shows the birds, their babies, and the kind of nest they have. A section at the back shows each bird with more info. T ...more
Erin Buhr
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Part non-fiction book about birds, part pure poetry, You Nest Here With Me is lovely. So many things went right with this story. Good information. Birds do not just nest in trees. Some nest on telephone poles, others on cliffs. Simple, factual information about the nesting habits of 14 different kinds of birds is included on these brief pages. Additional information is also included in the back. Beautiful language. Jane Yolen and her daughter, Heidi, have woven interesting nesting facts into a b ...more
Kirsti Call
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I grew up birding with my dad, so this book makes me happy every time I read it. Jane Yolen and Heidi E. Stemple do an incredible job of combining a bedtime story with authentic nonfiction elements about birds. The facts and the story interweave seamlessly to create an intriguing story for both younger and older kids. It was the perfect homeschooling segment for all of us! The back matter is well written and interesting. Melissa Sweet's stunning illustrations hide extra birds for children to fin ...more
Julie
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully illustrated by Melissa Sweet, the book compares the "nesting child" at home with her mother with various types of birds who nest, and their habitats - owls, grackles, plovers, catbirds, swallows, and cowbirds, just to name a few. My favorite part was turning each page to see how each illustration uniquely captured the cityscapes, forests, farms, sandy shores, cliffs, and meadows the different birds inhabit, with a wonderful use of expression and color. Includes an informative author' ...more
Adrienne Pettinelli
"Grackles nest in high fir trees,/Terns all nest in colonies/Upon high cliffs, above rough seas,/But you nest here with me." The language here is specific and surprising even while it maintains the rhyme and rhythm of a good bedtime book. Sweet is both playful and restrained, giving us all the particular birds in their environments. I love that surprising flash of photograph incorporated into the CIP page at the end. (I also love this trend of putting the CIP page at the end of picture books, by ...more
Donalyn
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Wonderful poetic text and bright, engaging illustrations. Don't miss additional information about each bird in the back matter.
Cathryn Wellner
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
For anyone who believes the rhetoric that rhyming books simply will not be chosen by a publishing house, You Nest Here With Me provides a sweet, effective model of why rhymes work with the young. In my years as a children's librarian, I found poetry a swift connection to young hearts. And Jane Yolen and Heidi E.Y. Stemple know how to follow a sure path to success.

With Melissa Sweet's charming illustrations, they have created a book that answers the age-old angst about whether or not we are worth
Katherine Cowley
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is my kind of picture book. It uses actual science (all about different birds' nests) in a fun fiction form, that doesn't feel forced in trying to teach you things but opens up your child's mind to nature, life, and observation. Also, there's a few pages at the end where you can learn more about all the birds in the book. Also, poetry. I liked the book a tad more than my children did, but it still was a win.
Katie Logonauts
This precious poetry book is one that I fell in love with immediately. The soothing and rhythmic rhymes are perfectly complemented by the endearing collage and mixed media style of Melissa Sweet. Different birds and their nests are introduced, and the mother reassures her daughter through the repeating refrain of "You nest here with me."
Nancy Kotkin
Nonfiction bedtime picture book about various birds and their nesting habits. Effective use of the text refrain, "You nest here with me," provides comfort and reassurance. Melissa Sweet's collage-y illustrations complement the rhyming text beautifully.
Desiree
Mar 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
You Nest Here with Me explores the nesting habits of different birds. I like how the author uses their knowledge of bird habitat to create wonderful rhyming patterns in the text. Wonderful illustrations and an overall cozy read.
Maria Marshall
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-picture
A sweet gentle book comparing various nesting birds to the loving. comfortable bed of a child.
Jason
May 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
At first I didn't think I was going to like this but then I wrote a song using the lyrics. The illustrations and colors are great, too.
Kimberly Sabatini
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
This was delightful!
Meredith
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic. This picture book has great rhymes, great pictures (Melissa Sweet is the best), and is super informative. I learned a lot about a lot of different birds! I can't wait to share this one.
Edward Sullivan
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Lovely, poetic bedtime reading with an aviary theme with wonderful illustrations by the always reliable Melissa Sweet.
Anthony
A mother tells her daughter in rhyme the different types of birds, and how and where the build their nests for their eggs, and baby birds to live until they are ready to live on their own. Throughout the explanations the mother reassures the daughter that she also has a place to nest. Touching and informative about different birds and their habitat.
Carolyn Combs
Brief overview: You Nest Here With Me, written by Jane Yolen and Heidi E. Y. Stemple, illustrated by Melissa Sweet (2015), is a fresh and unique lullaby, written in enchanting rhyme. While showing the myriad of places and ways birds nest with their young, the story draws an analogy between birds' nests and human homes. The accurate information in the story, plus the back matter on the birds and an author's note, carry this lullaby over into the realm of nonfiction.

What I love about this book: I'
Krista
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This may be my favorite children's book ever. The illustrations are not just gorgeous, they give each bird a bit of a personality as well. The rhyming narration makes it a great read aloud. I enjoy that it makes a point of talking about different kinds of nests that may be new to kids. The repeat of the phrase "but you nest here with me" is a lovely touch of comfort to add to a bedtime story. There is even a section in the back that gives facts about the different birds discussed during the book ...more
Alexis
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: litreviewcrew
I received this book from the publisher, Boyds Mill Press for our ARC group, Lit Review Crew.

I gave this book five stars because I really enjoyed the bird theme and the illustrations were beyond beautiful.

Three Reasons Why You Should Read This Book:

Beautiful illustrations with mixed media
Family-centered message-this is a perfect book as a gift to new families
Bird facts
I will definitely include this as a title I would want to buy others for baby showers or young birthdays. I hope you enjoy it as
Edith Hope
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I am a major fan of all things Jane Yolen, but this might be one of my favorites. Written with her daughter, Heidi Stemple, and illustrated beautifully by Melissa Sweet, this is one of my favorite read alouds to my children. Highly recommended up to age seven or so.
Olivia Slykhuis
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Cute idea, but I don't like this book much. Some of the pictures are really nice, but who cares, when the story doesn't back it up. The rhyme and rhythm seems forced. The descriptions of random and uncommon birds are too detailed.
Sara
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Beautiful. As if the poetic text isn't wonderful enough, there are two pages of back matter providing a few facts about each of the birds mentioned in the text.
Kara
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
The reader learns lots of different kinds of birds and how they nest in a comforting framework of being safe themselves nesting with their parents.
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Precious bedtime book about bedtime ("nesting"). This one is heartwarming.
Brittany
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely lovely. The writing is beautiful. The illustrations too. The back of the book is filled with bird facts to add to the usefulness, as if this book wasn't great on it's own.
Eleanor W
Dec 20, 2018 rated it liked it
nice little rhyming book.
Whole And
A wonderful book to help identify a wide variety of birds and their individual behaviours. Easy to read in rhythmic prose with a great description/guide at the back of the book.
April Moody
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
A beautiful rhyming bed time story about where different birds nest that ends with a young child nesting in her own house with her mother.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Mama Built a Little Nest
  • Every Day Birds
  • Have You Heard the Nesting Bird?
  • Woodpecker Wham!
  • The Pet Project: Cute and Cuddly Vicious Verses
  • Water Is Water: A Book About the Water Cycle
  • Handle with Care: An Unusual Butterfly Journey
  • A Funny Little Bird
Jane Yolen is a novelist, poet, fantasist, journalist, songwriter, storyteller, folklorist, and children’s book author who has written more than three hundred books. Her accolades include the Caldecott Medal, two Nebula Awards, the World Fantasy Award, three Mythopoeic Awards, the Kerlan Award, two Christopher Awards, and six honorary doctorate degrees from colleges and universities in Massachuset ...more