Start by marking “Octopuses!: Strange and Wonderful” as Want to Read:
Octopuses!: Strange and Wonderful

Octopuses!: Strange and Wonderful

(Strange and Wonderful)

Did you know that octopuses can eject ink in the shape of a ghostly octopus or detach a wiggling arm while jetting away to safety? Or that their skin can change color for camouflage? Octopuses are the subject of this latest installment of the
successful Strange and Wonderful series. Covering the entire life cycle of these mysterious ocean dwellers and their anatomical
Published April 7th 2015 by Boyds Mills Press

To ask other readers questions about Octopuses!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Octopuses!

Start your review of Octopuses!: Strange and Wonderful
Kristen
Jun 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Reliably, Laurence Pringle offers an interesting introduction for middle grade readers on the octopus. It sets the record straight on the "attacking octopus" myth (it doesn't happen- they're terrified of humans and in rare cases have only defended themselves), and on the word "octopi" (technically incorrect- start saying "octopodes" instead) gives information about their bodies, adaptations, habitat, food, and even mating (which they only do immediately before death- interesting, huh?)

I, like
Aliza Werner
Packed with facts about octopuses! Watercolor illustrations provide the visuals, and the text shares engaging and important facts about these unique and intelligent creatures.
Julie
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
A solid expository nonfiction book on a very interesting topic. Robust scientific facts and eye-catching illustrations. Back matter includes an index, glossary and Learn More sections for further learning and exploration.
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a fun book that has new information even for octopus fans. The page where you try to find six hidden octopuses was particularly fun. I only wish that each octopus was reliably identified. My son asked about several that weren't labelled.
Lauri Meyers
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautiful and bright illustration. Lots of interesting information about camouflage, including a spread where the reader tries to find 5 octopuses. Covers anatomy, reproduction , hunting, etc. it flows in continuous prose, without sections or spread titles or call outs.
Boyds mills press, 2015
Leah
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lots of great information about octopuses and beautiful illustrations.
Joleen
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Incredible! Well written and illustrated.
Zack Rodgers
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Very informative and factual book with great illustrations! For a children's book, it actually goes very in depth into details about octopuses. The illustrations show how it changes color and can fit through tiny holes. On one page it has a FANTASTIC exercise where it has 5 or 6 octopuses camouflaged in a full page spread and you have to try to find them, and it is tricky. Kid's would love that exercise and I would want the book in my classroom for that page alone.
Teresa Scherping Moulton
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
That's right - this book is called "Octopuses" NOT "Octopi." Despite the fact that many of us were taught differently, more than one "octopus" should be called "octopuses" or, if you really want a fun word, "octopodes" (ock-TOP-uh-deez). That's just one of the interesting things I learned from the book Octopuses: Strange and Wonderful by Laurence Pringle. Although we might think of octopuses as huge creatures, most of the 300 species of octopuses are small - some would even fit in the palm of ...more
Jennifer Webster
Mar 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Octopus Alone
Srinivasan, D. (2013). Octopus Alone. New York, NY: Viking Books.

Rationale
Octopus Alone is a cute story about an octopus that wants to be alone and have some quiet time. We see the octopus travel across and the water and it sees a lot of different sea creatures. Eventually, octopus wants to go home to his friends. These books go well together because they both discuss the abilities of an octopus. For example octopuses can change their body color to match their surroundings. They can
Lynn
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Although I'd prefer photographs, the illustrations are very well done, and provide inclusion of a puzzle for readers to enjoy searching for the hidden octopuses. Many pages have white background, thus bringing the readers attention to the octopus being discussed.
I thought at first it was a bit too text heavy, but the phrases used make it very interesting reading - could be used as a read aloud!
Lots of examples of how non-fiction books can be written to show scientific knowledge:
"They are
Stephanie Tournas
May 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Clear and engaging, this book offers a solid introduction to the amazing octopus. Addresses differences between species, historical ideas about the octopus, anatomy, physiology, habitats and rearing of young. Includes a glossary, bibliography (books, articles and websites), and index. There is even a search-and-find page where the reader must find six octopuses hiding in the sand, coral, and plants on the ocean floor. The illustrator, with whom Pringle has collaborated on numerous other ...more
Shelli
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
A fantastic fact filled read about the smartest invertebrate on the planet, the octopus! Did you know that some species of octopus can eject ink in the shape of an octopus to confuse predators and aid in escape? Or that the proper way to pronounce the plural for octopus is octopodes, not octopi! Even my spell checker in Word doesn’t seem to know that one. This would be a wonderful addition to any elementary/ middle school library or classroom.
Jillian
May 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Both interesting and informative - I learned something new on the second page!

Octopuses (or Octopodes) are fascinating creatures, and this book does a great job of explaining WHY they're just so cool. The illustrations are very detailed and the text is clear. It's not dumbed down but it's not too complicated.
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is perfect nonfiction for third grade researchers. The text is full of facts that are not typically already known by students (or this teacher!), and there are additional sources for further information listed at the end.
Julie Williams
Jul 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a quick, informative book about octopuses. The information was good and not too overwhelming and the illustrations were nice. I would have like actual photographs but that's just me. A solid book about the topic.
Heidi
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
After reading this fact-filled book about octopuses, I wanted to know more about the! Very interesting and informative read. Will be adding it to my elementary school library.
Joan Anderson
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent middle grade children's nonfiction. Wonderful color illustrations by Meryl Henderson.
Brenda Steffens

• I Want a Hug
  • Sleeping Bobby
  • The Three Pigs
  • Betsy B. Little

Strange and Wonderful (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Alligators and Crocodiles!: Strange and Wonderful
  • Bats!: Strange and Wonderful
  • Cicadas!: Strange and Wonderful
  • Crows!: Strange and Wonderful
  • Dinosaurs! (Strange and Wonderful)
  • Dolphins! (Strange and Wonderful)
  • Frogs!: Strange and Wonderful