Start by marking “The Patient Will See You Now: The Future of Medicine is in Your Hands” as Want to Read:
The Patient Will See You Now: The Future of Medicine is in Your Hands

The Patient Will See You Now: The Future of Medicine is in Your Hands

A trip to the doctor is almost a guarantee of misery. You'll make an appointment months in advance. You'll probably wait for several hours until you hear "the doctor will see you now"but only for fifteen minutes! Then you'll wait even longer for lab tests, the results of which you'll likely never see, unless they indicate further (and more invasive) tests, most of which ...more
Published January 6th 2015 by Basic Books

Start your review of The Patient Will See You Now: The Future of Medicine is in Your Hands
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
Topol is quite the cheerleader for Big Data, and the book is PACKED with rapturous predictions of the many ways that smartphones will revolutionize medicine and empower patients to direct their own healthcare. (He's much less forthright about reporting his conflicts of interest, which include advisory roles and entrepreneurship interests in companies as varied as AT&T, Google, Walgreens, Illumina, and more, all of which are buried in the acknowledgements on page 292.)

Despite his insistence
Megz
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is an excerpted review. For the full review, click here: https://barefootmeds.wordpress.com/20...

To be honest, when I requested this book I saw one sentence, Computers will replace physicians in many tasks and my vision went red. So my intention was kind of to read it and rip it to shreds.

Spoiler alert: Im not going to rip it to shreds.

The Patient Will See You Now is essentially a massive meta-analysis of digitalisation and the subsequent democratisation of medicine. Every chapter is
Robert
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Topol does a great job of laying out the current state of digital medicine, while arguing why patients need to become much more active participants in their care. Our healthcare system is very complex, and many treatments are also becoming more complex. While it would be brilliant to see a revolution in coordinated care, no patient should hold their breath waiting for it.

I was a little disappointed with Section 1, which alternated between breathless over enthusiasm for technology solving
Tim Jin
Jul 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
Dr. Eric Topol had other motives besides being a MD when he was writing "The Patient Will See You Now." If it was up to Dr. Topol, he wouldn't see any of his patients in person at all. I wasn't too impress with his book. It felt like a scare tactic. If you have a phobia on your health, don't read it.

It you do a search on Eric Topol, the search result may surprise you. He is known for his digital medicine rather than his cardiology practice. His book is all about wireless and having your medical
Jayne Caron
Jan 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
Obviously the book is quite out-dated and he proved to be wildly inaccurate- especially regarding successful blood testing. However I think what's most disturbing is the alternate reality he seems to live in when it comes to patient autonomy and the role of the physician in the patient-physician relationship. Not every patient is as health literate as his favorite examples and he makes little to no case for doctors and genetic counselors and the important role they play in continually updating ...more
Marcia
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anybody that ever plans to go see another doctor should read this book major changes are coming to the medical world and it means better things for us the patient
Gaurav Andhansare
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
As technology integrates itself with every aspect of our life, it is important to consider the implications of its interaction with what unfortunately remains one of our most primitive aspects of our lives: health and medicine.
Dr. Topol describes the paternalistic side of medicine and its practitioners, its reasons and why it is increasingly irrelevant in today's world where many patients are googling symptoms for a provisional diagnoses and asking doctors to confirm it compared to a typical
Leonardo Nissola
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic & very inspiring
Kathy
Apr 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
An interesting concept behind this book however, couldn't finish it. Not a fan of the author's style of writing and thought his perspective of doctor paternalism was too intense. Could not support this undercurrent view that was frequently mentioned throughout the first chapters I managed to get through.
Thethingsiread
Apr 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Book is too long for it s content
Gets repetitive
Author is more a Doctor than a technical person and lacks some background
Heavily US focused
His dream of a better future, but not really actionable
Cyndie Courtney
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Cyndie by: Audible
An important book about the future technology plays in helping patients take charge of their own medical care.

Think could have been even more powerful if it had two things: 1) more balanced treatment of its subject matter (it felt like the dangers of the technology were largely downplayed relative and its benefits generally lauded to their greatest potential) 2) it provided a teaser into this kind of technology instead of such an exhaustive overview.

We would get the point with less examples
James
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great insight into what we as patients should be doing to better our outcomes. Fantastic insight into millisieverts and how to measure your cancer causing risks (see below).

The remote monitoring, the destruction of the need for more hospital beds and how to reduce costs were some good arguments presented. Lab on a chip or in the blood are excellent concepts. Also like the ways being presented to monitor if patients are taking their meds.

BEST PART of the book is the discussion of millisieverts.
Trey Malone
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
My criticisms of the book is less about content and more about tone. Topol frames his book as an attack on the "paternalist" "elites" of medicine, but I think his criticisms are somewhat misguided. Instead of convincing me that doctors are elitist to a fault, Topol's content would made a more convincing case for optimism in the future of medicine.

It seems to me that the first few chapters should have been restructured as an optimistic look at patient-based solutions to health issues via
Daniel Barenboim
May 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book is basically a treatise on how healthcare should be improved and some of the ways that people have accomplished more by learning about health themselves instead of trusting their doctor. While I wholeheartedly agree with what this book says and have already put these principles into effect before reading it, I feel as though it is nothing more than a teaser. If we can not change the system, what's the use in talking about all of it's defects?
I can only sit here and ponder what to do
Daniel
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This ground breaking book opens my eyes to the latest technological advances in the field of medicine, and I'm a doctor... It's amazing and surely patient empowerment (emancipation is the word the author used) is already happening and soon the relationship between doctors and patients will be changed forever. The only thing I don't agree is that the author thinks that hospitals will disappear, replaced by home monitoring... But who is going to help the patient if things happen? Nonetheless this ...more
Stephanie Weaver
Aug 23, 2015 rated it liked it
The overall content and focus of this book is terrific: empowering patients to own their own medical data, and painting a picture of both the positives and negatives of the impact of the Internet of Things on medicine.

It's a dense read, and it wasn't clear to me who the audience was. It's too detailed and high-level for the average patient, and doesn't have a clear enough call to action for physicians or legislators, which is why I gave it 3 stars.
Debra Brunk
I was really looking forward to reading this book as I liked the premise. The first couple of chapters were very interesting and I learned a lot. However, the author should have stopped while he was ahead. From Chapter 9 on, the book seems to lose focus and becomes more about what the author knows than what the patient may want to hear (or read).
Hakan Jackson
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
From the title you'd think this book was all about how medicine will be practiced in the future. However, the book also delves into the past and how medicine got to where it is today. If you've ever experienced frustration with the medical system and are curious on how it'll change. This book is for you.
Jeff LeBrun
Sep 21, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: science
This is basically a list of all the technological stuff that Topol thinks is cool. It reads a bit like an infomercial without much original or creative thought by the author. Some weird tangents where he describes something completely unrelated, like the development of the printing press, pad it up to novel-length.
Blake Charlton
Oct 31, 2015 rated it liked it
i'm with the author in spirit about using technology to making care more patient-centered, but the there are simply too many unsubstantiated claims and extrapolations without hard clinical data to make this convincing.
Hussam Al Husseini
I was really excited to read the book but it is very boring and it feels like the author made a huge effort to increase the contents in details without any meaning. I read around 170 pages and could not continue!
Gianluca
Oct 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Topol presents his views on how medicine can (and should) be revolutionised through digitisation, democratisation, and decentralisation. As a Quantified-Self enthusiast and often-frustrated patient, I can get behind a lot of what he advocates for herean end to medical paternalism, accessible data, patient autonomy, and the general increase in efficiency that digitisation can provide. But whilst Topol makes a good case, he tends to over-advocate for his positions and the book does not adequately ...more
Brent Thomas
Sep 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Through Topol's eyes, we're exposed to the possibilities the changing technological landscape might have to offer the field of medicine. With the widespread access to cell phones, fitness wearables, the ever-expanding volumes of stored personal health data (through those devices and others), and the growing power of data analytics, what might their impact be in the evolution of modern medicine? Topol offers that the world could be a very different place, where the individual patient might have ...more
D.C. Lozar
Apr 08, 2018 rated it did not like it
The Patient Will See You Now
The Doctor is no Longer Needed. Really?
As a practicing Family Practice Physician for over two decades, I have lived through our conversion from paper to digital charting, worked in both academic and HMO settings, and have experienced first-hand many of the topics Eric Topol addresses in "The Patient Will See You Now," and I would not recommend this book. Dr. Topol is like a Tesla driver who is so trusting and enamored with his high tech toy that he doesn't realize his
YHC
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
With the increasing aging population, shortage of medical professionals, we need to innovate our medical experience. This book points out the big picture about future medical care. It will all go digital, big data and hope for the better "open source" to have through information transparency and data/ treatment sharing.
Of course there is always dark side of this openness of privacy, and the violation of law, private benefits.
Still we need to look forward the better and avoid the worst.
A good
Murray
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I round out my 3.6 to a four. Not that I disagree with some of the criticisms levied against the book by other Goodreaders. I am a physician who practiced for over a half-century in military, rural, and academic settings. I continue to teach residents and medical students from time-to-time. I am fully aware that Topol gives short shrift to the healing relationship between physician and patient. But lets be honest. Were all better off with a competent, scientifically based physician who doesnt ...more
Diana
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really interesting insights about how healthcare is evolving. A few dangerous blind spots when it comes to algorithms replacing doctors and for patients self-medicating (eg. antibiotic prescription based on empirical data, not that it differs from what doctors have been prescribing for decades which will become the root cause of antibiotic resistance and a major cause of death by 2030). Clinical decision support tools will still need to rely on expert consensus data and also gold standard ...more
Rupert Gough
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
While this book is well written, I didnt agree with the basic premise from the start. Giving the Google-Searching patient an equal weighting on medical decisions as a doctor is the shrill-cry of anti-vax parents everywhere and is a terrible idea. It would be great if everyone had the perspective and rational decision making of a long-time medical professional but the simple fact is they dont.
His continued use of the example around x-rays is frustrating at best. Would you consent to having a
Steve Barrett
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Some interesting ideas here for sure. Coming from a background in tech, the chapters about the history of the medical industry in the US were an interesting read to me.

For example the discussion around medical paternalism. I also enjoyed the chapter about Angelina Jolie's decision to get a preventative mastectomy. I'd heard about this before, but never noted as such a sea change in both patient ownership of their own medical fate, and also in the impact of DNA sequencing providing directly
Mike Eccles
Sep 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Believable exploration about a transformation in healthcare

I nearly gave up on this book in the first chapter or two because of the very technical discourse on genomics. Im a medical layman. But after that bad start, although a little tedious at times, the author describes a thoroughly believable brave new world of self diagnosis via smartphone, personal ownership of medical and genomic data, and professionally digitally care and support at home. Hospitals remain necessary for acute or complex
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Digital Doctor: Hope, Hype, and Harm at the Dawn of Medicine's Computer Age
  • Where Does It Hurt?: An Entrepreneur's Guide to Fixing Health Care
  • America's Bitter Pill: Money, Politics, Back-Room Deals, and the Fight to Fix Our Broken Healthcare System
  • Bottle of Lies: The Inside Story of the Generic Drug Boom
  • The Healing of America: A Global Quest for Better, Cheaper, and Fairer Health Care
  • Better: A Surgeon's Notes on Performance
  • Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End
  • Innovator's Prescription
  • Blue Collar, Blue Scrubs: The Making of a Surgeon
  • I Am a Strange Loop
  • An American Sickness: How Healthcare Became Big Business and How You Can Take It Back
  • Designing Your Life: Build a Life that Works for You
  • Redefining Health Care: Creating Value-based Competition on Results
  • When the Air Hits Your Brain: Tales of Neurosurgery
  • Classic Cases in Medical Ethics: Accounts of Cases That Have Shaped Medical Ethics, with Philosophical, Legal, and Historical Backgrounds
  • Gotham Writers' Workshop: Writing Fiction: The Practical Guide From New York's Acclaimed Creative Writing School
  • 30,000 Years of Art, New Edition, Mini Format: The Story of Human Creativity Across Time & Space
  • Build Your Running Body: A Total-Body Fitness Plan for All Distance Runners, from Milers to Ultramarathoners—Run Farther, Faster, and Injury-Free