Start by marking “Successful Television Writing” as Want to Read:
Successful Television Writing

Successful Television Writing

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  91 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
The industry speaks out about SUCCESSFUL TELEVISION WRITING

""Where was this book when I was starting out? A fantastic, fun, informative guide to breaking into?and more importantly, staying in?the TV writing game from the guys who taught me how to play it.""
--Terence Winter, Coexecutive Producer, The Sopranos

""Goldberg and Rabkin write not only with clarity and wit but also
Published July 1st 2003 by Wiley (TP) (first published June 24th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Successful Television Writing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Successful Television Writing

Nicola
Dec 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, writing, tv
Successful Television Writing is a short, entertaining read with possibly a broader appeal than its How-To book status confers. Though it does indeed take the reader through the steps of becoming a US TV writer (writing a spec script; pitching to get a freelance TV writing gig; how to work successfully as a staff writer; etc.), it also provides some insight into the TV industry as a whole.

For example, the authors mention a scene in ‘The Drop-In’ episode of The West Wing, where Sam and Toby are a
August
Feb 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I've read some good how-to books about writing, particularly regarding novels and short stories. They're usually either instructional booklets with lots of exercises, or they're memoirs of a sort, the writer's version of an autobiography about them and their craft. This book was a glorious combination of both of those, plus a friendly business manual. Goldberg and co. are extremely helpful when it comes to an overview of the TV writing world, because they don't give too many generalizations or t ...more
Melissa
Nov 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Overall, this book has a lot of useful information and the exercises are excellent. The advice is fantastic as well. The only drawbacks are that it was drama-centric, totally leaving out comedies, and it appears to be very dated. Otherwise, I would definitely recommend because there is a lot of good stuff in here from industry insiders.
Janea West
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this. A writer's guide to pursuing a career in tv writing. Gives you the ins and outs, including the smallest of details (like what not to wear to a meeting). The only downside is the book was written in 2003, with examples pulling from that time period (i.e. Buffy the Vampire Slayer, etc.) but hey it still did the job.
Mike
Nov 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Lee & William offer lots of valuable and interesting information on the industry, their story, the structure and appendices of great examples. I especially loved the pitches & leave-behinds with the accompanying beat sheets. I feel much better prepared as I hammer out my sit-com specs. Recommended for anyone interested in writing for television.
Sara Gran
Sep 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A straightforward, no b***sh**, honest guide to writing for TV by people who actually knows what they're talking about. Unlike most people who write books about writing. Highly recommended (and also, by the way, very funny).
Alicia
The top three things I liked about this book: Good insider information and what to expect; nice emphasis on hard work; good exercises at the end of each chapter. The book also contains a nice dose of humor.
C
Feb 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: writers, screenwriters, aspiring writers
Chock-full of very useful, practical advice!
Carlos
Jan 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: film-tv
Excelente guìa si quieres entrar a la industria de las series (en EEUU)
Theresa
Feb 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
#1 New York Times Bestselling author Lee Goldberg is a two-time Edgar Award and two-time Shamus Award nominee whose many TV writing and/or producing credits include "Martial Law," "SeaQuest," "Diagnosis Murder,""Hunter," "Spenser: For Hire," "Nero Wolfe," "Missing." "Monk" and "The Glades." He's also the co-author of the Fox & O'Hare series with Janet Evanovich (The Heist, The Chase, The Job, ...more
More about Lee Goldberg...