Start by marking “Torn Canvas (Safe Harbors, #2)” as Want to Read:
Torn Canvas (Safe Harbors, #2)

Torn Canvas

(Safe Harbors #2)

Modern-day pirates took more than Jori Virtanen’s friends; they stole his face. Not only does the twenty-four-year-old former model have to confront months of reconstructive surgery, he discovers his previous life was as superficial as his looks. Jori struggles to make a new life for himself as an artist while evading the press. They expect a hero, but he knows the truth. ...more
Published May 23rd 2014 by Emerald Arch Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Torn Canvas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Torn Canvas

Start your review of Torn Canvas (Safe Harbors, #2)
Lisa
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so I read these in reverse order. Which really was okay. I fell in LOVE with Jori! I had to warm up to Olivia, but found her to be endearing as well. I am so glad I finally read this awesome novel! Go Donna!
Donna Weaver
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I finished listening to the audiobook. As the author, we have information in our heads about how dialogue goes or characters speak. Tristan Hunt captured this so well. If anyone ever wondered what they sound like to me, listen to the audiobook. :)
Donna Weaver
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Totally biased here, I know. But I loved Jori's character. I hope I did him justice.

Merged review:

Lis Carey
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, fiction, romance
This is a fascinating look at a man with a painful past--both recent past and further past.

Jori Virtanen, twenty-four-year-old model, has had a life-changing experience: While on a cruise with new friends, he and those friends are captured by pirates. Jori, used to being the handsome, superficial model making no commitments, is a leader in overcoming the pirates.

In the process, his perfect face is slashed open, and he faces months of reconstructive surgery with no expecta
Pennie Morgan
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Olivia was tired of the fluff pieces her producers was handing her and she wanted something more and she found it though it was not what she was expecting. Jori has been through a devastating injury that left lasting scars both on the outside and the inside. This was a totally believable story that weaves us through friendships, loss, survival, pain, joy, redemption, and love. I had a wonderful time reading this and recommend.

I did not read the first book in the series and so deem this a standa
Jeanie
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So excellent

Absolutely adored this book. The characters and their friends were just amazingly brought to life and the emotions brought out. Wow! Did not realize there were books before this so will be catching up on these and hope they are as good.
Laurie
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Donna K. Weaver’s “Torn Canvas”

Great, complex characters, and tension-driving story elements, make author Donna K. Weaver’s “Torn Canvas” a sweeping novel readers can get lost in. Olivia Howard, a media celebrity, overcame a challenging past to get where she is, and she now wants to use her platform to present stories with substance. But what have her producers assigned her? A fluff piece about up and coming models—frivolous lightweights. Especially the blonde, Finnish-born Juri Virt
Anna del C. Dye
Sep 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Torn Canvas by Donna Weaver is a well-written drama with a hint of romance. It follows the life of a man who is a professional model and how he transforms his life from a gigolo to a respected artist. It all changes for Jeri when he takes a cruise and the once introverted and shallow model is taken aback by the real interest of a group of fellow passengers. He begins to open up and, as he does, pirates assault them. In his desire to help a young woman, he is savagely beaten and his face marked f ...more
Kristina Hill
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed listening to this book! Jori was intriguing in "A Change of Plans" but it was fun seeing things from his perspective. At first it was a little confusing as the narrator switched between viewpoints without a large difference in how he read them, but after you realize there are two viewpoints you can just listen and enjoy without confusion.
Christy Olesen
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was different than any romance I've read before because the majority of the story is in the hero's point of view. I loved getting to know Jori and following him through his trials and triumphs. Hard to put down.
Joan
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
I wish I could have liked this more, but the writing was somewhat 'distanced' from the characters and although Jori was portrayed with a certain degree of sympathy and understanding, I never really 'cared' about him to the extent that I was desperate to read to the end. The story also dragged. I kept waiting for the two of them to meet up ... and I waited, and waited. ;)

I have to admit that some of the 'events' in both this book and the first in the series seemed more than a little '
Diane
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Diane by: Donna K Weaver
I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review. This was a great read. Donna K Weaver catches your attention right from the start. Her characters are so lifelike and you get caught up into their stories. You feel for Jori and everything that has happened to him. There is so much going on and you are cheering for Jori and his friends and hoping they can get over their emotional challenges. I liked Olivia's story as well, she is a strong character that also has emotional issues to deal wi ...more
MaryRhonda
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great story.

I just loved this story. Watching Jori grow not only in his art, but also in how he treats others and allows them to become family was amazing. His journey was not easy but then again no one's journey has been easy in the Safe Harbors series. A great continuation of a wonderful series.
R.M. Alexander
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Torn Canvas was the first book of Donna Weaver's that I've read, and I will most certainly be reading more.

Olivia lives the life I dreamed of when I was younger - well, almost. As a television host, she has notoriety and success. But also stalkers and a lack of a personal remedied only by an anonymous online persona she escapes to as often as possible. She's tired of the same ol' routine, and more tired of interviewing the dull self-centered celebrities management keeps pushing her way. At firs
Meredith Mansfield
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
"Even a hero needs to be rescued sometimes." That perfectly describes this story.

There's been a price for Olivia to reach the top of her profession as a television host. Crazy stalkers, no privacy, no personal life except online, where she can be anonymous. And still there's one interview she can't get--the male model who became a hero when the cruise expedition he was on was attacked by pirates.

Hot model Jori has a deserved reputation as a bad boy when it comes to women.
Lucinda
Mar 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Between 3 1/2 and 4.

I’ve been following this series, Safe Harbors, and was excited to see #2 come out (with a novella in between). A lot of the story is concurrent with the timeline of A Change of Plans, and I definitely recommend you read that one first in order to understand the characters and their stories (and read the novella Hope’s Watch while you’re at it).

In a way, this is a story of second chances. Jori has a troubled past that affects his relationships with others, especia
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: purchased-by-me, 2016
**3.5 stars**

Jori is a man who has had a life-altering event. He was scarred while protecting a friend. The pirates were unsuccessful in taking the women, they did however take away his career as a model.

I read the first book, A Change of Plans, a long time ago. I didn't remember many of the details other than the ending. This book is a companion book, it follows a parallel time frame. It took me a while to feel like I was caught up to fully appreciate this story and the fundam
Mae Clair
Jul 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A great story that sucks you in immediately from page 1. I have not read the others books in this series, but am looking forward to them. I had no problem following the characters in TORN CANVAS, despite reading this book first.

Jori is a golden-boy model who has it all . . . looks, a high profile career and lots of women. An incident in his past is at fault for his addiction to this superficial lifestyle and it isn’t until he loses it all that he begins to re-evaluate his lifestyle.
Jaclyn
May 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't stop reading. Jori was a character in A Change of Plans that I couldn't decide at first if I liked or thought was a jerk. He was a lady's man and that bugged me, but he redeemed himself and showed how caring he really was.

But that was just the tip of the iceberg. Torn Canvas was written in his point of view and I got to know who the man really was—and he is amazing. He had secrets in his past that he didn't share with anyone. It was emotionally exhausting as I grieved with
Hayley Guertin
This book was amazing! Torn Canvas was an amazing sequel to A Change of Plans. I am so happy about this book, especially where we were left off in the last book. I was a little disappointed since there was plenty of unanswered questions, but they were answered in this book.

One thing that I really liked about this one was that one of the main characters was Native American. It was nice because you don't see that enough in novels. The characters were really interesting and I enjoyed ge
Davidandkelley Crandall
Jun 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Who can resist an adventure intertwined with romance? Weaver has expertly created an epitome of the classic saying “don’t judge a book by its cover” with characters Jori and Olivia. Jori, at first glance, is your classic pretty boy while Olivia the snob…until you take the time to actually get to know them! I quickly became entranced and could not put it down!!

I relish how, as a reader, I became so engrossed in Jori’s world that it seemed like I was undergoing the experiences myself.
Marianne Sciucco
I enjoyed this book and found it engaging from the first pages. I listened to the audiobook, expertly narrated by Tristan Hunt. The pacing was comfortable, his reading and voice easy on the ears. I especially liked the way he acted out each character's voice. The story unfolded comfortably, no rushing, no lagging. Although full of many relationships and subplots, it was easy to follow and to become engrossed in the characters. The hero, Jori, was well developed, as were the other main characters ...more
Lisa Swinton
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How I missed reading Ms. Weaver's Torn Canvas for two years is quite beyond me as I'm a fan of her work.

Her novel, A Change of Plans, is one of my all time favorite romance novels, and that's high praise.

Ms. Weaver maintains her excellent level of writing in Torn Canvas. The characters are well developed, complex, and appropriately bleed their emotional tumult all over the page. I enjoyed revisiting beloved characters and going in depth into Jori's journey. It's heart tugging to watch Jori reb
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
This is the sequel to "A Change of Plans" which I would really recommend reading before you read this book. This book is not so much a romance as it is a story of one man's journey of recovery and healing- mentally, emotionally and physically. What I like most about this book is the sense of family between characters. They really try to take care of each other.

Sometimes I felt like the book was dragging a bit but there was an emotional depth to it that I really appreci
Carolyn Frank
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found myself pulled into the book immediately and was reluctant to put it down as I continued to read. I had already read the first book in this series, so the characters were familiar to me. If I hadn't already been acquainted with the characters, I may have had a hard time remembering them and sorting them out to where they belong and the roles they play. Other than that, I really really enjoyed the book. I found the main character intriguing. The story line and the MC's growth was believabl ...more
Liz Stone
Apr 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I received a free copy of this audiobook in exchange for an honest review.

This story sucks you in from the first chapter and keeps you on the edge of your seat until the finale. I planned to listen on my way to/from work but ended up trying to find any reason I could to listen to just a bit more of the story. Each twist was believable and surprising. Weaver has created endearing characters that I feel in love with right away. Hunt brings Weaver's words to life.

I didn't want the stor
Rhondia Cannon
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow

This book was in my TBR pile for far too long. Had I know just how good it was, I would have read it right away. Now I want anything else in this series....NOW!
Canda
May 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
To my friends always asking what they should read next...this is it. This is the second in the series but very different from the first--no cookie cutter romance here. I'm so happy Jori got a happy ending. I love how Donna packs her books full of emotion. I can feel their struggles and pain, making the books all the more satisfying! This books fits right in with her style. Loved it!
InD'tale Magazine
A fantastic work of fiction, “Torn Canvas” is the second book of the “Safe Harbors” series and it explores the aftermath of the pirate attack that took place in the first book.

Read full review in the 2014 October issue of InD’tale Magazine.
Eleanore June
Unlike any romance I've read before. In fact it was more of a character study really. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The depth of Jori was amazing. I loved seeing the FRIENDSHIPS in this story. The romance was secondary to the friendships and I loved that.
Well worth a read
« previous 1 3 next »

• Fall Flip
  • Change of Hart (Hart, #1)
  • The Convenient Cowboy (The Hansen Brothers #2)
  • The Bend in Redwood Road (Missing Pieces, #1)
  • Her Unexpected Cowboy (Unforgettable Cowboys Book 1)
  • Her Big Fat Fake Billionaire Boyfriend (Billionaire #1)
  • A Cowboy's Reunion (Family Ties, #1)
  • Anything For You (The Connor Family, #1)
  • Second Chance on the Corner of Main (Nestled Hollow, #1)
  • Best Friend Baby Daddy (My Baby Daddy, #1)
  • Pit Stop: Baby! (Crescent Cove, #4)
  • Fresh in the Kitchen (The LUSH Restaurant #2)
  • The Heir (Billionaire Royals #1)
  • Seeing Miss Heartstone
  • True-Blue Texan
  • The Oblivious Billionaire: A Romantic Comedy About a Forgetful Billionaire (Misbehaving Billionaires Book 2)
  • Close to Her Heart (Carrigans of the Circle C, #3)
  • The Billionaire's Secret Marriage (The Limitless Clean Billionaire Romance Series #1)
Award-winning author - wife-mother-grandmother-Navy brat-Army veteran-karate black belt-Harry Potter nerd-online gamer girl.

Safe Harbors (4 books)
  • A Change of Plans (Safe Harbors, #1)
  • Swing Vote (Safe Harbors, #3)
  • Kings Crossed Lovers (Safe Harbors, #4)