Start by marking “Wings Over Poppies (Over, #2)” as Want to Read:
Wings Over Poppies (Over, #2)

Wings Over Poppies (Over #2)

4.21  ·  Rating details ·  934 Ratings  ·  173 Reviews
Perfection. One word. Three syllables. Every reason why I’ll never have the one thing I truly want. I stand dutifully on the pedestal he’s built, waiting for the day he truly sees me.

Then one amazing night, he lets down his walls, only to leave me the next day.

Years have passed, and I’ve tried to move on with my life. But I still dream of him. I still miss him everyday.
Published January 24th 2015 by J.A. Derouen

To ask other readers questions about Wings Over Poppies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wings Over Poppies

Christie«SHBBblogger»
**ARC provided in exchange for an honest review**

Title:Wings Over Poppies
Series:Over #2
Author:J.A. DeRouen
Release date: January 26, 2015
Rating:2.5 stars
Cliffhanger:No
HEA: (view spoiler)

2.5 Poppy Girl stars

I don't know too many people that aren't a fan of second chance romance. Two fated souls who are ripped apart through circumstances beyond their control are reunited later in life and all is right with the world again. Did I feel that? At times. But I was also feeling a lo
Brenna
Jan 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, series
Wings Over Poppies is a heart wrenching second chance love story that I enjoyed. It is the second book in the Over series, but can definitely be read as a stand-alone novel.

Alex grew up in a life of privilege in the South, with a certain set of expectations for what her future would look like. She’s always been a bit of a free spirit, defying her parents’ wishes and wanting to pave her own way with her love of art. Alex’s parents own the golf course that they live on and every Sunday she sneaks
Ellen ✦ Book Bellas ✦
4.5 - 5 stars!! This book took me by surprise. Loved the story and the writing! Gorgeous and heartfelt and sexy and a little angsty. I highly recommend this book to all fans of second-chance romance and military stories. I immediately connected with these characters and literally read this story in one sitting.

The author had my heart racing as I read Alex and West’s story. As teenagers, Alex was firmly “friend-zoned” with West, a place she most certainly did not want to be. But she couldn’t figu
✿kawehi.reviews
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
☆ I received an ARC via LBTS PR in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!! ☆

“You’re my poppy girl.”

2 copy

Wings Over Poppies was a great follow up from J.A. DeRouen’s debut novel, Hope Over Fear.

It can be read as a standalone and foretells a second chance romance tinged in taking risks, chances, and tormented pasts and insecurities.

What is so captivating about this story was that it was exuberant, visually appealing; along with, an alluring plot and cast of characters that will make you want t
Dali
Their journey was imperfectly perfect. Their story starts of fun, flirty and swoony. Then it’s sad and poignant, but after a fresh start it’s wholeheartedly happy. Wings Over Poppies is a wonderful tale about overcoming unsurmountable obstacles in order to get what felt like the unreachable gift of love.
“You are everything that is pure and perfect to me in this world. You are my sassy, sweet, intelligent, beautiful, stubborn poppy girl.”

Being surrounded by wealth hasn’t dampened Alexandra Foun
April
 photo 6653302b-d617-4f48-b93b-c365c411d5a9_zps8089f659.jpg
For those who have read Making Faces by Amy Harmon, will undoubtedly fall in love with Wings Over Poppies.

The girl who pretty much has it all; the artist.
The boy who treads water with no relief in sight.

Alexandra is our poppy girl and this nickname was given to her by West, a boy who has the weight of the world on his shoulders.

The most important things in his life are his mom & sister Lucy. Lucy has suffered from an illness since the day she was born and this has caused financial hardships
Brit
Advance Readers Copy (ARC) provided for my blog for an honest review by the author J.A. DeRouen via blog tour.

Title: Wings Over Poppies
Series: Over, #2 (standalone)
Author: J.A. DeRouen
Genre: Second Chance War Romance
Age Group: New Adult
Date Read: Jan 28th, 2015
Release Date: Jan 25th, 2015
Overall Rating: 5+ Stars

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Breathe Brittni, take deep breaths. This was emotional, such heart felt. This book wrecked me I've cried for about two hours because of this novel it's the best that J.A. DeRouen has wr
J.A. DeRouen
Dec 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Want to keep up with my latest happenings and new releases? Subscribe to my newsletter! http://eepurl.com/6DkNz
Join my Facebook Group to get sneak peaks, teasers, and fabulous exclusive giveaways! https://www.facebook.com/groups/15548...

photo 2copy_zps1184d008.png

photo 9_zpsee6f3ab2.png

photo 3_zpsb6578b91.png

photo 6_zps11e4973d.png
Angelina
**** 5 Poppies Stars ****

Wings over poppies is one great story of second chance romance. Which I find myself cant stop reading it. This is the first book I read from the series but it can be read as a standalone novel.

You cant help to fall in love in the beginning of the story and how the characters developed. I love how West and Alex story goes, their journey of finding each other again. It is a bit heartbreaking read but that is what I love about it. the love that never dies.

This is definite
bookbruin
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After reading Hope Over Fear, I couldn't wait to find out more about Alex's past and mystery man. J.A. DeRouen did not disappoint with this emotionally charged second chance romance! Honestly, this series just keeps getting better and better! Although this is book 2 in the interconnected Over series, it can be read as a stand alone. I do recommend reading the previous book, however, because it's awesome and you are introduced to characters that appear in both books.

Alex and West really put my he
Stacia
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars--

Wings Over Poppies is book #2 in the Over series but can be read as a standalone novel.

I love when I find a new indie author that not only writes amazing, but grows so much from one book to the next. J.A. Derouen made me feel while reading this book. I laughed, swooned, I felt the angst, and cried; not too many books have the ability to give me all of that in one sitting.

“Nothing in this world worth having is perfect.”

We first met Alex Fontaine in Hope Over Fear, book #1 in the Over
Paige
New Beginnings

Wings Over Poppies follows West and Alex as they first meet in their late teens and follows their journey back to each other after 6 years of silence. This story is the second in a series of standalones. In the first book we're introduced to all the characters so it was nice to see them again (even if the majority of the first book I didn't really like the main characters). The writing for both tp books is superb as well.

West leaves Alex seemingly without a backwards glance. During
Natasha
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
OMG MY HEART LOVES THIS BOOK
Bianca
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received a complimentary copy in exchange for an honest review.

THIS BOOK. Where do I even begin? My heart continues to sing over this story and it’s main characters. Wings Over Poppies had everything my heart was craving in a story. I loved the first in the series. But this one?! I felt every single word from the beginning to the end.

“I want to be enough for you. I want it more than the air I breathe.”

Alexandra (Alex) Fontaine lives a perfect life. Well that’s the plan for her made by her par
Amy
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an amazing story. I've been anxious to get my hands on this book since Alex's character was introduced in Hope Over Fear. There was just something about her that made me want, no, need to know more. I knew from the moment I read this line, that this book was going to destroy me......

"I can't imagine a world without you in it. No matter where I am, I'll always dream of you. It'll have to be enough." He places soft, scorching kisses up my neck until he reaches my ear. "God, I don't think it'l
Jenna
Jun 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! The books in this series keep getting better! As you can see on the cover this is a story about unfinished love. High school lovers that were separated and you are left to wonder if they will make it back to each other. I don’t want to give anything away in this review because I hate that but I will say that in the end you will be happy.
The books in this series can be read as standalones as well. It was nice to hear from all the other characters from book one. You meet Alexandra from book
Anne OK
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Anne OK by: Lucia Franco
Shelves: 2015-reads
Absolutely captivating and beautifully written. Love a second chance at romance and this one especially so -- teenagers who have a very special friendship and then are split apart by life's challenges. West is off to war while Alex is in art school in NYC. She's from a wealthy family, while he's trying to help his widowed mom pay the bills for his sister's health issues. They are both character who'll steal your heart even when they break it, too. Six years after they last see each other, they a ...more
Rachel
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
New favorite author alert! This book was soooooo easy to read, and it felt like I was there just watching the story unfold. My favorite thing about these books is that the men are protective and possesive, and yet still show their vulnerable side! Stories that have amazing supporting characters make it so much more fun to read! After reading the first book I HAD to know Alex's story, and now after reading this one I need Celias, and then I need Marlo's book! Keep writing these books, because I w ...more
D.B.
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
*ARC provided by NetGalley*

I loved this story.
For me it started off slow, I couldn't connect right away, it took about 4 chapters to gain my attention but once it did, I couldn't stop reading. I found myself tearing up often and at one point crying to the point where I had to stop reading for a few minutes to gather my thoughts.

West & Alex's story is a wonderful journey.

Beautiful.

I'll be reading more from this author in the future.
Ruthie Henrick
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm normally really bad about books flying out of my head the minute I finish reading them, but I have a feeling I'll remember West and Alex for a really long time to come. Ms. DeRouen did such a wonderful job building those two characters and developing their relationship that I was totally invested in the story. The two had real issues to overcome, and the author was sensitive to the real-life problems some soldiers endure following their deployment! What an excellent read!

Becca
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
OMG This book y'all. Love Love Love it! I need to get my thoughts together to write this review but so so good.

ADD IT TO YOUR TBR NOW! (yes I am yelling at you) :)
Christine
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
I thought Adam was amazing in book one but West just stole my heart. What's an emotional journey for West and Alex...oh the feels. I can't wait for more...I love all these characters!!!
Alissa
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-series
There's nothing like finishing a book with a huge grin on your face and happy tears in your eyes!! I loved this book so much, it was such an emotional second chance romance, and I loved Alex & West's long and beautiful journey. I have come to adore this whole cast of characters, and I'm going to be so safe when I'm done with this series (which is sitting on my favorite series list for sure). Diving into the next book now :)
BookHookup
Mar 26, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was originally reviewed on The Book Hookup.

**I received an advance copy,but that did not influence the review**

The cover, just look at how gorgeous it is. Simply stunning and it’s what drew me to this book right away. Then for me to find out the hero is a military man…well I was in. So while this book had so much potential it’s a bit of a mixed bag for me. There were parts of this story I loved, and there were some parts that dragged or got solved in the blink of an eye. It honestly to
Michelle
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: second-chance
Alex Fontaine was introduced in Hope Over Fear as Sara's close friend. She's an artist with her own gallery and she grew up in a wealthy and privileged lifestyle. It's obvious from the previous book that there is someone in Alex's life that she had a connection with and is still looking for, without success. In the meantime, all of her dates are epic failures and Alex is unable to move forward.

The guy happens to be West Adler, someone Alex met during her high school years and he works on the gol
Reckless Readers
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
***arc given in exchange for honest review***
4 stars

This was an amazing follow up to Hope over Fear. I knew Alex had her own heartbreak and I couldn't wait to find out.

Wings Over Hope starts off on the past, showing how Alex and West met. Alex was in her senior year of high school and West was attending community college. Alex is raised on country club grounds, her family is wealthy. Then theres West who works at the club house to help his mother make ends meet and his younger sister is sick.

Ale
Tina Lee Harris
Jan 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
4 stars

This was s story of how two different people can change each other lives over the years. We meet Alex and West. They have this undeniable bond that last a lifetime. But the struggles that both have to endure to get to a happy place in their lives will take you on a rollercoaster we all know as life.

Alex and West start a friendship that seems to be perfect for them. Although Alex would enjoy more, West continues to hold her at arms length. He knows she deserve better than him. He is a mess
Kali McQuillen
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series, second-chance
This book was a 4.5 star for me.

This is the first time that I have read this author and she is amazing! This book is the second part in the series Over and I did not read the first book and I didn't feel lost by not reading it. Will I go back and read the first book, Hope Over Fear, yes, I will because I absolutely loved this book.

This book will not only break your heart but it will put it back together again stronger than before. I don't read a lot of second chance romance, so I'm really glad t
Stephanie Rose
Dec 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fan freaking tastic!

I loved Alex from the first book in the series, Hope Over Fear, and wondered what made her heart so guarded. In Wings Over Poppies, we meet West Adler through her eyes. The sexy and good hearted boy pushes Alex away but you can't help falling head over heels for him right along with her. They separate, and years later Alex still can't forget or stop looking for the only man she's ever loved.

West isn't the same man. He loves Alex but now feels more than ever that he isn't goo
BiblioFangirl
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
I love this story. I love this writing. I am a hardcore fan of this author. And this story....

I was gripped from the first word until the last. I couldn't wait for it to finish and I never wanted it to end. The characters... You meet this crazy and lovable cast of characters in Hope Over Fear and... Seriously, I wish I had a group of friends like this. I loved them in book one and I love them even more in book 2. I cheered each one of them on and laughed hard at Marlo.

Alex and West's story is a
Goodreads Librari...: Wings Over Poppies extra link 3 25 Jan 25, 2015 11:01AM
  • Resurrecting Phoenix
  • Until We Break
  • Luke's Present (Morning Report, #3.5)
  • Lie to Me (Redemption, #1)
  • Ripping Pages
  • Safety In Numbers (Sizzling Miami #5)
  • Bound for Nirvana (The Bound Trilogy #3)
  • In the Wind
  • Broken But Breathing
  • Beautiful Liar (The Masquerade Series, #2)
  • A Forever Kind of Love (Choices, #2)
  • Crossroads (Finding My Way, #2)
  • Access Unlimited (Access, #3)
  • Love on a Spring Morning (Pine Harbour, #3)
  • Blowing Off Steam
  • Return to Newport (Return to Me, #2)
  • Those Summer Nights
  • Breach Of Contract (Bound #2)
J.A. Derouen resides in South Louisiana with her husband, son (aptly nicknamed "The Professor"), and her furry friend, Scout. She has earned bachelor’s degrees in psychology and nursing. When she's not writing or inhaling romance novels by the stack, she works as a women's health nurse. She’s been an avid reader and daydreamer since childhood, and she's never stopped turning the page to get to the ...more
More about J.A. DeRouen

Over (4 books)
  • Hope Over Fear (Over, #1)
  • Storms Over Secrets (Over, #3)
  • Fire Over Frost (Over, #3.5)

Romance Deals

• The Wedding Shroud (Tales of Ancient Rome, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Release Me (Stark Trilogy, #1)
  • Better Off Without Him
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Veronica's Dragon (Icehome, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • No Prince Charming (Secrets of Stone Series Book 1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • A Loyal Heart (An Uncertain Choice, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Surrender (Steel Brothers Saga, #6)
    $7.99 $2.49
  • Forged in Smoke (Red-Hot SEALs, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunted (The Warrior Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Husband's Regret (Unwanted, #2)
  • Be My Reason
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed (Honor Bound Book 2)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • His Unlikely Lover (Unwanted, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Love Me Sweet (Bell Harbor, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forged in Ember (Red-Hot SEALs, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taking Catie (Temptation Saga #3)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Desire After Dark (Gansett Island, #14)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Scotch King (Scotch #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • This Love of Mine (Mirror Lake, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Seaside Hearts (Love in Bloom: Seaside Summers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Forgotten Secrets (Singing River Legacy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Knight (Endgame, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Storm Warrior (Grim, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bayside Passions (Bayside Summers, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures with a Rookie (Misadventures, #11)
  • Finding Libbie: A Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love at Last (Love in Bloom: The Bradens at Peaceful Harbor, #6.5)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Nitro's Torment (Sydney Storm MC #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Strange Hymn (The Bargainer #2)
  • Only You
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Lily and the Duke (Sex and the Season #1)
  • A Girl's Best Friend
    $9.99 $1.99
  • My Once and Future Duke (The Wagers of Sin, #1)
  • Surrender/Submission Bound Hearts 1 & 2
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Burn (Steel Brothers Saga, #5)
    $7.99 $3.49
  • Mistress of Magic
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Duchess Deal (Girl Meets Duke, #1)
  • INK: A Love Story on 7th and Main
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Misadventures of a City Girl (Misadventures, #2)
  • A Ruthless Proposition
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hearts at Seaside (Sweet with Heat: Seaside Summers #3)
  • Hometown Girl
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mind (Trinity Trilogy #2)
    $6.99 $2.49
  • Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Room Mate (Roommates, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Decaying Empire (The Vanishing Girl, #2)
  • The Forgiving Hour
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Bright Side (Bright Side, #1)
  • The Fixer Upper
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Room for More (Cranberry Inn Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Neanderthal Seeks Human (Knitting in the City, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Chasing I Do (The Eastons #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Forever Hunted (Forever Bluegrass #9)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Slow Dance in Purgatory (Purgatory, #1)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Cafe by the Sea
  • That Month in Tuscany
    $6.99 $2.49
  • My Brother Michael
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Something in the Way (Something in the Way, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Elect (Eagle Elite, #2)
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • To Taste Temptation (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #1)
  • Ghosted
  • Dodging Temptation
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Billionaire's Final Stand (Billionaire Bachelors, #7)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Find Me (Corrupted Hearts #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blackmailing the Billionaire (Billionaire Bachelors, #5)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Hunger (The Energy Vampires #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Billionaire Falls (Billionaire Bachelors, #3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Runaway Heiress (Billionaire Bachelors, #6)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Treading Water (Treading Water, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Life Next Door (Love Not Included Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Undeniable Love (Journey Of Love Book 2)
  • Bittersweet
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Mr. Perfect (Mister, #1)
  • Made for You
  • The Light In Summer
    $5.99 $1.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Collision Point (Brute Force, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Journey Home
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Storm Bound (Grim, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unforgettable Love (Journey of Love Book 3)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Prom Night in Purgatory (Purgatory, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Valiant (Spy Girl Book 4)
  • Dear Aaron
  • Running Barefoot
    $5.95 $1.99
  • Wrecked
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sapphire Heist (Jewel, #2)
  • The Other Side of the Story
    $10.99 $1.99
  • One Fell Sweep (Innkeeper Chronicles, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Out of Focus (Adams Grove, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • What If
  • Impossible Saints
    $22.73 $1.99
  • Hudson (Fixed, #4)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Only a Millionaire (The Sinclairs #6.5)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Elite (Eagle Elite, #1)
  • Kulti
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Soul Summoner  (The Soul Summoner, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • April / May / June (Calendar Girl #4-6)
    $8.99 $3.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • Valorous (Quantum, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tempting Dusty (Temptation Saga, #1)
  • When Never Comes
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Misadventures with the Boss (Misadventures, #12)
  • Baby Daddy
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twice Bitten (Argeneau #27)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Misadventures of a Good Wife (Misadventures, #6)
  • Calendar Girl: Volume Three
    $8.99 $3.99
  • Love and Other Unknown Variables
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Storm Warned (Grim, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Real Thing (Sugar Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Bronze Horseman (The Bronze Horseman, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Light After Dark (Gansett Island, #15)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Pecan Pie and Deadly Lies (Adams Grove, #4)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • How To Marry A Werewolf (Claw & Courtship, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Our love is not effortless. We've clawed our way through the brush and fire to get here today. But aren't the things we bleed for the most precious?” 2 likes
“If it's ever too much ... if the burden of me is ever too great--"
Softly, I place my hands over his lips, silently begging him to stop.
"Don't you know? You are not my burden. Never." I brush my lips lightly against his. "You? You are my gift.”
1 likes