Start by marking “Velvet, Vol. 2: The Secret Lives of Dead Men” as Want to Read:
Velvet, Vol. 2: The Secret Lives of Dead Men

Velvet, Vol. 2: The Secret Lives of Dead Men

(Velvet #2)

The white-hot spy series from the creators of Captain America: The Winter Soldier is back!
Everything Velvet Templeton ever believed about the worst night of her life has turned out to be a lie, and now she's coming back to London, taking the hunt back to the hunters, to find the truth or die trying.
Don't miss the second volume in the adventures of comics' favorite new supe
Paperback, Trade, 128 pages
Published May 20th 2015 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Velvet, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Velvet, Vol. 2

Start your review of Velvet, Vol. 2: The Secret Lives of Dead Men
Anne
Velvet is back!
This time around she's trying to piece together a list of suspects that would have been able to set her up, not only for the recent murder of an agent, but set her husband up as a traitor (and her to take him out) all of those years ago.

description

This isn't just life and death for Velvet, it's personal.
Fortunately, there's a short list of people who would have been alive and in a place to frame her husband, and yet still alive and in a place to frame her now. To get the answers she needs
Kemper
Aug 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Everyone at the super-secret British spy agency ARC-7 thought Velvet Templeton was just the Director’s secretary until their best agent was murdered, and she was accused of turning traitor and killing him. It also turned out that she used to be a top notch field agent.

See, that’s why you should always be nice to the admin in your office….

Actually, we know that Velvet was framed, and to clear her name she’s going on the offensive against her old organization to try and flush out the real traitor.
Jeff
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix
The World’s most dangerous secretary is back!

“Velvet, two cups of Earl Grey, a kidney punch, a spleen shattering kick and a garrotting, if you please. Anything for you Nigel?”

Velvet’s continued search for the truth takes her and the reader further down a rabbit hole. The plot’s getting a tad slippery, but when the focus is on Velvet, it’s all business.

And that business is kick-ass, wear-a-cool-bullet-proof-flying-squirrel-suit, uncover-the-truth, spy stuff.

Brubaker has a knack for this type of
Matthew
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: James Bond
5 stars again – so great! Just like Volume 1!

If you like spy craft, revenge, espionage, and graphic novels and you are not reading this series right now, I am not really sure what you are doing with your life. So far this series has been absolutely amazing. Well written, beautiful art, and a fabulously perfect heroine. Velvet Templeton is the character authors hope to create when they set out to create a strong female lead.

Oh, did I mention the artwork? Yes, yes I did . . . but I will again! I a
Chad
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, 2018
James Bond ain't got nothing on Velvet. In fact, if it came down to it, she'd more than likely kick his ass. Does anyone do espionage better than Brubaker? They should get him to write the next Bond film. I love how Brubaker has created a confidant, kick-ass heroine with sex appeal who's not a bimbo. I also dig how Steve Epting is a talented enough artist that he can actually draw her at the age she's supposed to be. In the current story she looks like a woman of around 40. In the flashbacks, sh ...more
Jayson
(A-) 82% | Very Good
Notes: Review pending re-read. Collected review for volumes 1-3 can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show....
Sam Quixote
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-comics-2015
Oh hells yes, yes and more YES to this! Velvet is back and somehow the second book is even better than the first!

Velvet Templeton looked like an average secretary. She worked for the Director of ARC-7, the (fictional) British secret intelligence agency, until she was framed for the murder of one of their top agents. Suddenly she’s on the run and it turns out Velvet wasn’t just anyone - she was one of the agency’s best before she was retired.

Now forced back into the game, Velvet’s wrapped up he
Trish
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've loved spy stories for quite a while.
All the details that can be put together like a puzzle, the secret identities, different countries, masquerades, intricate planning which requires intelligence - all challenging the reader as much as the characters in the story. I love it!
However, there's a downside to it: lies and secrets. At a certain point nobody can know what is real and what isn't, who can be trusted etc.

In this second volume, we delve deeper into Velvet's story, her background, wh
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
I usually write a longer review than this:
But the question I just want answered is...Can I be Velvet when I grow up?
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
This second volume steps up the intensity by a big leap. Velvet is back in the game, and she has her former employees on her tail, not to mention the traitor who is trying to frame her. "The Secret Lives of Dead Men" delves deeper in Velvet Templeton's past, and her secret hurts. The reader learns that she has more than one reason to take her betrayal personal, and also we see how she embarks on the life of a spy at a young age. While Velvet can hold her own, the reader sees that she has vulnera ...more
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

Fantastic; I love Velvet! My biggest problem is that it's been so long since I read Volume 1, I felt lost/confused multiple times with the convoluted plot. That said, I would love to continue to Volume 3, hopefully sooner than I got to Volume 2 so I don't forget as much!
Brandon
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, comix, fiction
Velvet Templeton has been accused of setting up the murder of a field agent within her super-spy organization, ARC-7. While many simply viewed her as the complacent secretary, it comes to light that Velvet used to be a field agent herself – and a kick-ass one at that!

On the run and desperate to clear her name, Velvet begins assembling her own list of potential suspects as she tries to narrow down the real culprit.

Building on a hell of a first trade, Brubaker and company produced an enthralling r
Sesana
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
The first volume of Velvet was a winner on every level, so it's far from surprising that the second volume is every bit as good. The art remains stellar and perfectly matched to the subject and tone of the book. The espionage is exciting and convincing. And the overarching story just gets more and more compelling. There are a few answers thrown out here, but also new questions. Deeper down the rabbit hole, so to speak.

I loved the first volume for being a pitch perfect spy book, with a fantastic
Dave
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
The saga of secret agent Velvet continues. Betrayed by someone on the inside, set up as the fall girl for killings, and on the run. Velvet spends this volume chasing after the truth, wherever it leads. Even if this means breaking into a prison, tying the London chief to a chair, or doing battle with half the police in France. Velvet is tough, uncompromising, and relentless. This is a transitional section of the story and probably requires first reading part one to understand what's at stake. ...more
Dave Schaafsma
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gn-crime
This is SO good. Ed Brubaker is so good, at the top of his game. And I like Steve Epting's artwork here. Great stuff. I liked this even more than the first volume, the set up, where we see Velvet, former ARC-7 operative, then secretary, returned to the field and in this volume, she is trying to figure out how it is she is being framed, and why it is what should have been the best night of her life became her worst. Great dialogue, great story, great spy thriller suspense. One of the best comics ...more
L. McCoy
This series is fixin’ to be an all time favorite.

What’s it about?
If you read volume one, you know. If you haven’t, I’d just spoil things. Skip!

Why it gets 5 stars:
The story is very interesting and the sort of bad-ass, exciting adventure fans of espionage thriller will want!
The art is still fantastic! Epting and Breitweiser work like peanut butter and chocolate!
description
The characters are interesting! More depth to them is added in this volume.
The action scenes are pretty fantastic and they’re frequent t
Gavin
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Finally. I've been waiting for something great to sink my teeth into, and who should become available on NetGalley? Why my old friend Ed...Brubaker that is. Alongside for the ride is his other frequent collaborator, Steve Epting. (Winter Soldier arc of Cap).

I read and loved Volume 1 of Velvet, who's like Ms. Moneypenny if she'd been an even more lethal machine than Bond.

In the last volume, Velvet found herself framed for murders she didn't commit...unfortunately for ARC-7 (The Agency) she retain
Dennis
My favorite secretary is back to kick some more ass!

description

After realizing she has been framed, Velvet decides to not run away. Instead she’s trying to piece together who’s responsible and takes the fight to the bad guys.

description

Since we’re dealing with secret agents here, it’s hard to tell who’s on which side. Velvet can basically trust no one. This volume asks more questions than it answers.

Most of the story takes place in London. So we don’t get around as much as in the first volume, which is a pity. St
Vicky
It’s official. I have a thing for Velvet Templeton.

In this volume the stakes are raised and Velvet decides to take the hunt back to the hunters.

The ARC-7 guys better watch out, because she's not fooling around. She'll kick whoever's ass she needs to to get to the bottom of a conspiracy.

She’s just as badass as she was in Vol.1, and still there’s a vulnerability to Velvet that far from detracting from how much I like her, makes me love her even more. She’s human. She can be hurt. She can be deceiv
Skip
Oct 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Velvet Templeton makes a surprising return to London (as she is supposedly a traitor) to figure out who is behind the death of an agent and the more dated death of her own husband. The list of suspects is small due to the lengthy timeline, and Velvet will have o be very creative to flush out the culprit, including securing a unusual ally, another pariah like herself, who is in prison. Good story and artwork, but the story is still a bit murky, at least for me.
Tom Mathews
Most people think that the Chief has a very capable secretary in Velvet Templeton. They don't know the half of it. Volume 2 of this series picks up right where the first volume left off. Blackmailed for the murder of an agent, Templeton is on the run for her life. With kidnappings, breakouts from an insane asylum and train-top chase scenes, the action never slows. I'm looking forward to volume 3. ...more
Jan Philipzig
Not as deep as I've come to expect from Brubaker, but too sharp and compelling as a genre exercise for anything less than 3.5 stars. ...more
Frédéric
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, spy
Probably the best series of the year as far as I'm concerned. Vol.2 is as thrilling as Vol.1, Brubaker being really at its best here, and just as beautiful. Epting and Breitweiser are producing a flawless pleasure to the eyes.
Velvet is narrowing down her list of suspects and has to get in touch with someone who might be better than her in this game. Half truths might lead to real deaths. Now she remembers she also have to be afraid in order to survive.
Solid action-packed plot with a main charac
Cheese
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Incredible artwork from Epting as per usual.
Christopher
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, graphic-novels
I'm so mad that I discovered this series now and not five years from now. Do you know how long it has been since I had to wait for a monthly serial instead of just reading entire arcs in trades? And this one isn't even monthly, but on a "we'll print it sometime and you'll like it" schedule.

This series is fantastic, and like Vol 1, this one doesn't resolve a damn thing. This major arc is supposed to be resolved in the next small arc (I assume issues 11-15), but we will see. It's going to be a dif
RG
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is awesome. Great artwork with superb storytelling by Brubaker. Feels like an old school spy thriller with a few Bond themes thrown in. Dont expect Bond, this is really orignal and unique plotting. Highly recommended!!
Frank
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-omnibus
Part two does not disappoint. Great dialogue and illustration, along with a great story. There is mystery and intrigue, as I said with volume one, like an old Sean Connery James Bond movie.
After finishing this volume, I realized that Volume three is not released, as I was looking to find out what happens next.
I hope Brubaker keeps it going.
Mike
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: completed-series
As visually and viscerally stunning as the first volume.
Alan
Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
The easiest way to turn me off on a property is hype. There have been books and movies I've delayed reading/seeing for months, or even years, because I tired of the hype early on. So for everyone who keeps lauding Agent Carter to me, go read Velvet. This is the bad ass female secret agent that you should be paying attention to.

Oh, am I hyping this title? Sure, but really I know you all read this before I decided to buy it (you know have to wait for payday sometimes for this stuff). Velvet contin
GrilledCheeseSamurai (Scott)
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: image, comics

I'm going to make this simple and easy.

For just a short little time, while I read Velvet, I am whisked away into a world of spies that is hard and cruel and unforgiving. For just a short little time, while I read Velvet, I feel like a total bad-ass.

I can't really think of any kind of higher praise than that.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Black Hammer, Vol. 4: Age of Doom, Part Two
  • Queen and Country, Vol. 1: Broken Ground
  • Immortal Hulk, Volume 4: Abomination
  • Lady Killer, Vol. 2
Ed Brubaker (born November 17, 1966) is an Eisner Award-winning American cartoonist and writer. He was born at the National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland.

Brubaker is best known for his work as a comic book writer on such titles as Batman, Daredevil, Captain America, Iron Fist, Catwoman, Gotham Central and Uncanny X-Men. In more recent years, he has focused solely on creator-owned titles

Velvet (3 books)